Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Two days, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
thx to the thread I realized the bookstore lady and her daughter were both dumped in the bookstore. imagine having enough money to throw away so you can never talk to your family again.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
My favourite thing about Kim's relationship with Harry is how Kim's feelings are expressed in the way he refers to you. There's a spectrum and "officer" and "Harry" are its extremes.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

SlothBear posted:

I think the "random" phone dialing was the first scene that really got me. Not just that I thought was well written and interesting but really made me go oh god. Oh Harry. :(

Same, this and the Dream. Both sequences just brutally pressed on some old relationship wounds that I guess I thought had healed more than they had, and I leaned into them like a sad breakup album. Watching a friend play who stopped dialing after a few calls (including the first one with her!) because it "didn't seem like a good use of time" was like having him stop the album on the saddest song to put something else on. I DON'T CARE WHAT VOLITION OR WHATEVER SAYS, CALL HER AGAIN YOU FUCKER :qq:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The one that got me real good real early was receiving "find booze/drugs and do it" as an actual quest in your log. Gamifying it such that it'll sit in your Journal forever marked incomplete til you take your vices is such a natural way to get any player to understand what addiction is like.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's an interesting one because the more 'realistic' version would be to roll, and if you fail Harry drinks and the roll gets harder each time you fail. The rare occasions you succeed on a double is the only time it gets easier. You can only 'choose' not to do it when your success is over a certain threshold.

But that would suck to play as a mechanic, so the way it's done in game is about the only way of doing it without robbing the player of agency the way real addiction can.

I was proud of sober Harry, prouder still when Kim pointed it out to Jean at the end.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The hardest hitting moment for me was finding the 2mm hole in the world. Like a shadow of a tumor on a scan, this tiny thing has instantly eclipsed the entire world, making all other worries and struggles completely irrelevant.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Alright, had this for a few years but a handful of triggers were a bit too much for me.

This is the longest I've powered through. So far I didn't arrest the femme Fatale, a bunch of the Hardie boys got messed up in a shootout, I took a slight hit, Kim is fine, I'm a pretty lovely cop but I've role-played how I wanted to. I discarded the note i found in the clipboard bc it seemed scary.

My next thing seems to be riding a boat to a small island. In general, how far away is the end?

Edit: thank you

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 31, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You’re in the final stretch now. It’s still a few hours to go, though.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Wear the boombox

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And make sure to pass a certain red Perception check.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
If you thought the crying was over, hahahHaha

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rest when Kim tells you to

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They didn't want to read the postcard, I'm not sure they're going to be able to handle The Dream.

I would absolutely recommend it in most cases but ehh, caveat about the nap.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 31, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, if you didn't read the postcard, and also didn't look at the stained glass window in the church, or whatever other triggers there are, you're not going to get The Dream, even if you do take a snooze at the fortress.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Hey, so, I'm wandering over from the tabletop games subforum because I was told there's a lively Disco thread here, which is great to see, both because Disco is just incredible, and because I just published a TTRPG you can run Disco Elysium in (it's heavily inspired by the game). It's not an attempt to represent the world of Elysium, or reproduce the system in the game, but rather... there's this thing about Disco Elysium that really struck me, while I was playing it.

See, the way the main genres of Disco Elysium come together is really fascinating to me. It weaves together a mystery, political fiction, amnesia fiction, and science fiction tightly around something they all share but that I never thought about : They're all genres that revolve on an often-hidden structure of empiricism and humanism, on the audience taking on the role of the detective/amnesiac/critic/explorer of the new, who must assemble an account of the world piece by piece. The thought bubbles, the Thought Cabinet, the dialogue; everything comes together to make for this incredible genre structure at the heart of the game.

So, I tried to make a tabletop game that did that, that gave the players tools to play a Detective - not Disco's detective, but maybe like him. The players all share the one detective, taking on roles basically comparable to Thought Cabinet ideologies or particularly vocal skills; the game obviously has to use 2d6, but it uses them in a more improv-forward way than a CRPG does. It's based on the Powered by the Apocalypse game engine, but heavily revised and changed, and with a novel subsystem for unlocking old memories as the case continues.

Mostly, I hope you might consider checking out what is basically long-form Disco fanart, just fanart for the genre structure Disco makes - a structure I think is as engrossing and harsh and beautiful as any other part of the game. If anyone's interested in that side of Disco, also, I'd love to chat about it! I think Jamais Vu, the Pale, the Skills, it all orbits this experience of empiricism and comprehension that has a real sting in its tail; the furies are, after all, at home in the mirror. Even the clearest water, if deep enough, can drown.

If you're interested, you can find it here: https://silk-stone.itch.io/detect-or-die

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

That's pretty cool!

Also, for tabletop nerds out there, Dimension 20 is presenting a campaign where each player is an aspect of a guy's mind doing an investigation. If a "spiritual successor" to Disco happens (and might be the only possible road to do so by the original ZA/UM), I think an adaptation of that could be interesting to see: instead of skills, have aspects of personality that have their sets of skills, which they can roll dice against one another depending on what are you doing. That way even going maxstats mcgee doesn't mean automatic successes on what you want: the aspect that governs gratification rolls against volition to push the protagonist into an electrochemistry dumbassery, etc

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

dead gay comedy forums posted:

That's pretty cool!

Also, for tabletop nerds out there, Dimension 20 is presenting a campaign where each player is an aspect of a guy's mind doing an investigation. If a "spiritual successor" to Disco happens (and might be the only possible road to do so by the original ZA/UM), I think an adaptation of that could be interesting to see: instead of skills, have aspects of personality that have their sets of skills, which they can roll dice against one another depending on what are you doing. That way even going maxstats mcgee doesn't mean automatic successes on what you want: the aspect that governs gratification rolls against volition to push the protagonist into an electrochemistry dumbassery, etc

Well RIP me I guess; do you know what system or systems they're using for it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Can't believe I never thought of Everyone Is John-ing a disco tabletop, lmao. It's the perfect way to do it. Excellent, I'll check it out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well RIP me I guess; do you know what system or systems they're using for it?
Slightly adapted Kids on Bikes. It works really well and I think Mike Trapp has already worked out that you can gain a massive advantage by trying everything - especially the things you fail at, because you can later spend the moxie on the rolls that matter (he somehow racked up 16 of them to pass a drat near impossible sturdy check later on). But there are some things that aren't clearly explained like why sometimes they can halve and automatically pass certain checks.

It's also hilarious, the 1st episode is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pT1OhH3F1Y

It's more like Inside Out than Disco Elysium, in that with Inside Out / Mentopolis, the characters are the emotions & conceptual ideas and the inside of the human being's head is the setting. Obviously in Disco the human is the character in the external setting and your emotions and internal processes intervene as 3rd party entities.

It's always worth mentioning Mentopolis though because it's great.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 1, 2023

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Can't believe I never thought of Everyone Is John-ing a disco tabletop, lmao. It's the perfect way to do it. Excellent, I'll check it out.

I found that Bluebeard's Bride was more helpful than EIJ in designing it, mostly because EIJ doesn't really want you to imagine an entire detective, just a bunch of alternate personalities, while BBB is interested in structuring the protagonist as a whole (fragmented, weird) person.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Get'em. Good on you.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just finished DE about a week ago, in the midst of some of the most emotionally dire real life poo poo I've dealt with in years. I was stunned by the ending and I had such a good long think on it. I won't get into it right now because I don't have time, but I do want to highlight a couple of other things:

The interaction with Lillienne really got to me. Harry realizing that he's too much of a dumpster fire for her at the moment is so sweet, so empathetic. He genuinely cares about her, which is why he can't bother her with his poo poo. And she seems to perceive this. I cried a bit (and not for the only time through the whole game).

I picked up one Fascist point somehow, I think by reading too much Man from Hjeimmdal books :black101:

The Volition check against Klaasje was incredible, both in terms of storytelling, and in terms of iterating on the game's mechanics. So good.

RIP Horrific Necktie. Pourin' one out for my homie.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My friend is at Dragon-Con dressed as Kim and thought he met a Harry and took pics but the Harry didn't know what he was talking about and may have just been some dude, or really committed to the bit.

He'll never know for sure, and that's most the DE way this could have possibly gone.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

skooma512 posted:

My friend is at Dragon-Con dressed as Kim and thought he met a Harry and took pics but the Harry didn't know what he was talking about and may have just been some dude, or really committed to the bit.

He'll never know for sure, and that's most the DE way this could have possibly gone.

Only if your friend replied "Again? I can't believe this poo poo..."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Did he call him Officer or Detective?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How does this baby run on switch? I own it on PC already so I'll drop if it's not "great".

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I recall hearing it ran pretty badly, at least as of a couple of years ago. Not sure if that's improved more recently.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s improved a lot with the most recently patched version or two. My first play through I probably had the game crash my switch at least five times, I think the most recent play through maybe once? There’s a weird bug with the smoker on the balcony conversation where he throws you the key or whatever, but otherwise it’s fine

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

That sounds just annoying enough that I might just replay it on PC instead. Thanks for the heads up!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yeah if you already have it I imagine it’s definitely an inferior version. A switch is all I have so I was thrilled with it but not much reason to double dip

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

I found that Bluebeard's Bride was more helpful than EIJ in designing it, mostly because EIJ doesn't really want you to imagine an entire detective, just a bunch of alternate personalities, while BBB is interested in structuring the protagonist as a whole (fragmented, weird) person.

Always good to see more games take inspiration from Bluebeard's Bride!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Always good to see more games take inspiration from Bluebeard's Bride!

Huge design revelation for me, honestly - a lot of the genres I’m most interested in delving into in TTRPG design have a key element of internality and bildungsroman, which the ensemble cast structure of the traditional TTRPG party doesn’t really support. The BBB structure really clarified some ways to do that for me.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://jacobin.com/2023/09/disco-elysium-intellectual-property-video-game-industry-creative-workers-collective-action

Good write-up in Jacobin about the behind-the-scenes mess

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's a great write up, partly because it sums up most of the 2 hour PMG doc. Obviously in summarising it misses some of the weirder nuance, but it does summarise the overall conclusion, which is that a bunch of creatives signed a deal with the devil and didn't realise how badly it was going to gently caress them later on down the line.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I played it on Switch. I realized way too late you can select things with the touch screen. The controller controls are weird as hell. The performance is worse than you'd expect.

I still love this game

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair my wife has had a switch for the last 3 years and only realised it was a touchscreen last month when I pressed something on the e-shop.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

How does this baby run on switch? I own it on PC already so I'll drop if it's not "great".

I just completed the game for the switch and if runs pretty well! I only had one game crash and the layout for it and the ability to use the touch screen with everything is nice. This is my first time playing it though so I don't know how it compares with other platforms.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is it just me or is the process of solving the mystery really drat linear? You have to go through the whole rigmarole running up and down the Whirling, no exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, it's definitely (and ironically) the weakest part of the game. I was disappointed when I found out that the killer never changes.