Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Hell yeah, thanks for the thread title change whoever. Idk why that bit of Leper's story made me laugh so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Trying on our gameday gear

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Ugghhh I want the weekend to be here already since I'm done and kind of checked out now. My new office mate quit after a month and now I'm back to covering the stuff she did again and I hate it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So my dad finally went to the doctor for the first time in like 30 years. Blood tests showed that he's like one point below being diabetic and breathing tests said he's like one point below having copd, which I find insane since I assume he already had it since he's been a smoker since he was 16.

Colonoscopy was clean and his sodium levels are too high, and his O2 and heart rate are a bit low.

Was honestly expecting a lot worse, bit at least now we can work on getting him on a better diet and try harder to drop the drat smoking.

Seeing your parents as mortals sucks

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

a neat cape posted:

So my dad finally went to the doctor for the first time in like 30 years. Blood tests showed that he's like one point below being diabetic and breathing tests said he's like one point below having copd, which I find insane since I assume he already had it since he's been a smoker since he was 16.

Colonoscopy was clean and his sodium levels are too high, and his O2 and heart rate are a bit low.

Was honestly expecting a lot worse, bit at least now we can work on getting him on a better diet and try harder to drop the drat smoking.

:smith::hf::smith:

Tuesday morning my dad fell out of bed alone at their townhouse in northern MN, and had to call neighbors to help get him to the hospital. He fractured his hip, so my mom and sister went to pick him up and take him to Mayo for additional x-rays then surgery (just screws) first thing Wednesday. He's 67 and otherwise in good health relative to his peers.

It went super smoothly, partly because most of the people getting similar procedures are older than him and on a bunch of medications. BUT I think that same fact has been pretty devastating for him. He'd texted me Monday night about catching up on Black Mirror, so when they were in the car going south on Tuesday I wrote back on-subject then jokingly added "what else is new?". He wrote back about his overnight transformation from mature to ancient, and I thought ah, he's really not going to take this whole thing very well.

Here's hoping your dad sticks with his lifestyle improvements and the numbers all go in the right direction next time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My dad just got his second knee replacement and, although it hasn’t been long since the first one, this one was much more difficult to rehab from. I don’t think I’d ever seen him quite so discouraged.

It *still* went well and they didn’t have to extend therapy but I think the reality hit him hard that even three years is significant on the back side of a health and wellness distribution curve.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a neat cape posted:

Yeah man. It’s easily the worst/most difficult part of life. Watching my mom fall apart as we speak and it’s incredibly depressing, but we’re all at or near that age ya know

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
My mom has planned her first knee replacement for the end of next month and I'm stressing for her and she's pretty stressed as well

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
My parents are around 70 and they still get to the gym more often than I do. They both refuse to retire, but my mom has atleast cut back her hours and is spending about half of that time in pilates classes

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching my parents succumb to debilitating diseases had me change a lot of my habits to be more preventative & general maintenance-oriented. I'm probably not going to hit those workout 1-rep maxes from 3-4 years ago anymore, so I should look into doing more yoga & calisthenics.

Helping my sister move made me realize I'm firmly on the other side of my mid-40's and hard(er) physical activities should be limited.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

SundayMoney posted:

My mom has planned her first knee replacement for the end of next month and I'm stressing for her and she's pretty stressed as well

My mom had both her knees replaced at the beginning of the year and she's still doing a fair amount of hobbling

No pain anymore at least

She had to get them both done within a couple weeks of each other so she wouldn't run out of short term disability because MURICA

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a neat cape posted:

Sorry about your dad.

My father never really took care of himself and ended up diabetic somewhere in his latev40s/early 50s, and managed to have both a stroke and a heart attack in the decades that followed. We always hoped that one of these would be the wake up call that got him to at least try, but he never really did. Even if he had, he had ground all the cartilage out of one knee by his 60s because of leg deformity he'd been born with, and couldn't walk without a lot of pain. He's 73 and stuck in a wheelchair now and I'm just genuinely surprised he's managed to live this long. There was a stretch of five or six years where he was in the hospital every single Christmas. That sucked a lot.

I had to watch the Superbowl with him in a hospital room twice.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
My folks are in better shape than most for having just retired, but both my mom and dad have very clear signs of slowing down and health issues that probably aren't going to get any better.

Seeing them lose their invincibility, especially my dad who has always been a brick wall of a man, is putting my own mortality and personal failures into sharp focus as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My dad is still in abnormally good shape even at 70 thanks to growing up as a farmer and running 4 miles a day for 50 years but his uncharacteristically short temper over the last two or three years has me worried about his mental state

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My father retired over a decade ago and kinda stopped doing anything. He's falling apart and will probably die within the next few years at this rate. He's 72, but his mind's going, his body is mostly gone and he loses more and more discussion in conversations.

He probably hasn't worked out in 30 years, he always just liked sitting around reading sci-fi / fantasy.

He's the middle kid of 5, and all 4 of his siblings are in far better shape and doing much better. Sucks!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Good luck. That's actually not too terribly bad it seems? So far?

My mom just had heart surgery a bit ago and it has been rough telling her 'no' about doing things. Just let me help out for a while with the things I can help with here. Don't need you walking around a grocery store for a while, I'll go pick things up for you. I'll mow that lawn. We'll get you back to doing things incrementally.

She's always been pretty health conscious and good about taking care of herself, but now she needs a little taking care of and is not taking that as well as I'd like. I mean things are good, she's not on bed rest or anything, just parenting a parent is hard.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Kalli posted:

My father retired over a decade ago and kinda stopped doing anything. He's falling apart and will probably die within the next few years at this rate. He's 72, but his mind's going, his body is mostly gone and he loses more and more discussion in conversations.

He probably hasn't worked out in 30 years, he always just liked sitting around reading sci-fi / fantasy.

He's the middle kid of 5, and all 4 of his siblings are in far better shape and doing much better. Sucks!

What sort of sci fi is he reading?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

What sort of sci fi is he reading?

Everything. When we moved him out of his house god 5 years ago at this point? I donated / got rid of at least 5k books he had on dozens of bookshelves in the attic. Now he has a kindle and a library card. I wish I had had more time to go through everything and grab stuff to keep. All I kept were some pretty terrible R. Crumb comics and I gave one of my cousins the entire L. Ron Hubbard set in hardcover.

Weirdest thing is of every author, he just hates Terry Pratchett. I have no idea why, he read so much stuff that's Discworld adjacent, I don't get it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Intruder posted:

My dad is still in abnormally good shape even at 70 thanks to growing up as a farmer and running 4 miles a day for 50 years but his uncharacteristically short temper over the last two or three years has me worried about his mental state

Ugh yea short temper is a bad sign. My friend’s mom has dementia and she has had a bunch of issues with losing her temper and even yelling at her 5 year old grandkid, which is a thing she never did before. It’s draining on everyone in the family too, the worst way to go.

My dad is 75, and I’m surprised he made it this long. He’s been obese my whole life and he used to smoke but quite like 35 years ago. Had one shoulder and two knees replaced. 5 years ago he fell in the shower and was stuck there for 24 hours until I found him. He was in the hospital for almost two weeks and lost feeling in his left foot.

Somehow he keeps going. Only long term issues are high blood pressure and sleep apnea, which he’s been on treatments for decades. I think he’s outlived both of his parents, so he’s got that going.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Wouldn’t all that reading help keep his brain active? It’s an active task, has to understand the words etc

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

Wouldn’t all that reading help keep his brain active? It’s an active task, has to understand the words etc

That's what I had always heard! But over the past few years he'll just trail off in the middle of sentences more and more often. He'll come over and watch the Pats games with me pretty often, but he can't keep up with what's going on anymore.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

That's what I had always heard! But over the past few years he'll just trail off in the middle of sentences more and more often. He'll come over and watch the Pats games with me pretty often, but he can't keep up with what's going on anymore.

i don’t think anyone could keep up with that poo poo they trotted out on offense last year tbh

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Android Apocalypse posted:

My Air Force friend stationed in England says there's no good Mexican restaurants in the area but the base's PX stocks a chunk of Mexican food staples for the Hispanic servicemembers, so getting good Mexican food is just visiting a buddy's place.

Careful with that. I smoked up a couple of pork butts once, and our E-6's Tejano wife used the shredded meat to make the best tamales you'd ever have. They even ruined me for other tamales for life.

But the poor E-4 from Nebraska who had never had anything more Hispanic than Taco Bell had his entire worldview shook. Food can taste.....good?

Like, it kinda changed the direction of his life. I can only imagine what some poor limey would do if they tried them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My dad keeps repeating the same stories to people. I've probably heard the time he sat next to the Los Angeles Lakers on a flight 5 times in the last 2 years. Aside from that and a comically small bladder (that I appear to have inherited), he seems fine.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

i don’t think anyone could keep up with that poo poo they trotted out on offense last year tbh

He couldn't even rag on them properly! It's very sad. Imagine sitting with your ailing father as the Patriot go 3 and out for the 4th consecutive time and he can't even insult Matt Patricia properly!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

He couldn't even rag on them properly! It's very sad. Imagine sitting with your ailing father as the Patriot go 3 and out for the 4th consecutive time and he can't even insult Matt Patricia properly!

That is sad. I'm sorry.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
My dad just doesn't care enough to even watch football anymore :smith:. We've slowly lost things in common over the years, but that one really hurts even though he's always had a mild Uncle Rico/old man bend to watching football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

My dad keeps repeating the same stories to people.

I do this constantly and I don't think I'm that far gone yet. I hope.

It's more like 'I don't remember if I've told you this story yet and it's good.' And you can then shut me up or let me tell it again if it's a good enough story.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
My dad has become demented as well. Have you seen the film A Serious Man starring Michael Stuhlbarg? There’s a character in it, his brother, played by Richard Kind, who spends all day draining a cyst on his back and writing an insane grimoire that he thinks has all the secrets to the universe in it, called the Mentaculus.

My dad also has a grimoire like that, full of insane drawings and maps connecting words. He has been working on it for over 15 years, ever since his business went under during the financial crisis. No cyst.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Glumslinger posted:

My parents are around 70 and they still get to the gym more often than I do. They both refuse to retire, but my mom has atleast cut back her hours and is spending about half of that time in pilates classes
My parents are around 70 and semi retired, my mom volunteers at a horse riding therapy place* and my dad does a shuttle driving thing two times a week. But they also both did a program about elderly people's health through Wake Forest and both lost a lot of weight on the program. Because how control groups work, my mom was working out a good 4 days a week (especially on the weeks with 8 days lol j/k) but my dad was on the "Just diet, no special exercise" group. There was a third group that they both wanted to be on, where when you lose weight then you put on a weighted vest to simulate your original weight.

So what I'm saying is they are both healthier than I am.

And it's also really sobering because they are caring for my 80 year old uncle and he's got some dementia and uses a walker because he can be unsteady. He now goes to an elderly people community program in Winston Salem because he needed more socialization, otherwise he just watches TV and does crosswords and sudoku.

*She walks beside the horses while kids are riding and she does lessons with the kids. Some of these kids are developmentally challenged so she also has to kinda keep them in their saddles. Then afterwards she helps take the saddles and blankets off the horses and brushes them.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 1, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

My dad keeps repeating the same stories to people. I've probably heard the time he sat next to the Los Angeles Lakers on a flight 5 times in the last 2 years. Aside from that and a comically small bladder (that I appear to have inherited), he seems fine.

Oh that's normal. 20 years ago I sat around a firepit with my dad and a few dudes he went to college with and heard the same stories like 5 times each

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I have to scroll up in this thread to make sure I don't post the same thing I did a couple days ago.

:negative:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Stopped off at the gym after work, and when I went to grab my bag after the locker was empty, I keep a lock in my bag so near as I can tell I just spaced actually putting it on the locker after changing into gym shorts. Absolutely genius stuff over here today!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I left my gym locker unlocked one time and somebody stole the :20bux: out of my wallet but left everything else.

Guess I should be happy they didn't take anything else.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ok so Flash is on Max now and the fact that the first thing he does is go to a hospital where various babies have scalpels flying at them, acid flying at them, fire flying at them, etc and then suddenly there's also a dog falling from hundreds of feet up makes me think people are maybe taking things too seriously but maybe it gets worse

also a baby ending up in the microwave

e: it got worse

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 1, 2023

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The only things my dad and I have in common is that we like space opera sci-fi and some of the same bands. Talking to him lately just ends up with him ranting about how his life and the world suck, which I honestly don't want to listen to after a bit. Getting sober as absolutely necessary for him but good god has he turned hard into a self righteous pseudo-martyr phase.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I have to scroll up in this thread to make sure I don't post the same thing I did a couple days ago.

:negative:

Oh good it’s not just me.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Starfield time

sort of.

It's "unpacking" oh so very slowly

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Aging parent chat follow up, talked to my dad about his hip fracture and he's in high spirits because everything went "about 10 times better than he expected" :unsmith:. I guess the small town hospital said full replacement and they couldn't do it until Friday, but my sister is a PM at Mayo who texted an orthopedic surgeon. He said get him in first thing Wednesday and decided on screws instead. His biggest complaint rn is coughing from the breathing tube.

Related question, does anyone have good online game suggestions for three remote people if one of them is on a pretty new Apple laptop? My brother would be the one on the laptop, and I'm not against subsidizing an Xbox for him if that's going to be an extreme bottleneck. I'm assuming it doesn't have anything resembling a worthwhile video card

e: unrelated use of "unpacking" above did make me realize me streaming something like the 7th Guest with them giving suggestions would be a great option. Thanks 3 DONG (but gently caress Peyton and Russ forever, sorry)

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coming up on four years of the last time I was in the United States, which was to fly home to be with my family as my mom was first in ICU then in a care room and drifted away.

gently caress cancer, hug your loved ones, and don't expect that tomorrow will come.

My dad is doing fine all told, he came and got to see his granddaughter for a week in May, and now is flying to Europe right now to visit my sister for a couple weeks. He's almost 70, so my mind has shifted in a way from thinking "someday I'll have to do this with dad" to really having to think of how I thread the needle of having a young family but trying to go to events and places with my dad that I've wanted to for 20+ years.