Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

That wasn't exactly uncommon at the time. GTAIII to Vice City is only 9 months or so. They also put out a lot of games at the time which is often the sign of a flailing company, strange then that they're some of the companies best. Perhaps they need to go back into near bankruptcy.

Yeah I was pretty surprised to hear that quote about Atlus being on the verge of collapse since I always consider the PS2 era to be Peak SMT.
Kind of feel like Digital Devil Saga was the first attempt a couple years before P3 to break into a more mainstream audience, with how it was a much more conventional character-focused "cinematic" RPG that did away with things like demon recruitment/fusion in favor of a standard RPG party and seems largely like a response to Final Fantasy X. Though it was probably still a bit too weird to really catch on and P3 ended up being their breakout hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe Tri-Ace should have made a game with dating elements in the ps2 so it wouldn't be making crap nowadays

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Maybe Tri-Ace should have made a game with dating elements in the ps2 so it wouldn't be making crap nowadays

Star Ocean 3 let you have different romantic paired endings!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Bluejeans posted:

:hmmyes:

I think I'm due for another playthrough, it's been a few years

I'm playing through LUCT right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth recalling that very few smaller companies, especially RPG developers, managed to survive the transition past PS2. They either moved away from RPGs, got bought out, or died.
theres also a reason that the smaller rpg series that survived or sprung up afterwards were stuff like neptunia, atelier, or trails where they crank out sequels with 90% reused assets every year

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

yeah but you have to play star ocean 3 to get to them

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

As beloved as Atlus' PS2 days are, they were also pretty shaky. The DDS games didn't do well and even the original releases of SMT3 and P3 weren't immediate smash hits.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm probably wrong about this but based on what I remember from 2007, Persona 3 being more "mainstream" wasn't even the big reason the series took off, at least over here in Western territories. Most of the attention it gained initially was because of the whole "shoot yourself in the head" thing.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Arist posted:

I'm probably wrong about this but based on what I remember from 2007, Persona 3 being more "mainstream" wasn't even the big reason the series took off, at least over here in Western territories. Most of the attention it gained initially was because of the whole "shoot yourself in the head" thing.

I didn't actually play 3 until after 5 came out, but even then I very specifically remember "that weird game where you shoot yourself to do magic"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Between FES and Portable, which one would be more responsible for the worldwide sales jump?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly, the correct answer to that question is 4.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

DanielCross posted:

I didn't actually play 3 until after 5 came out, but even then I very specifically remember "that weird game where you shoot yourself to do magic"

I bought 3 fes as my first Persona, played through the first 2 major bosses and bounced off. Bought 4 Golden on Vita to play on my Vita TV, played through the tutorial bits probably and never found time.

Bought Persona 5, sink 100+ hours in playthrough 1, bought Persona 5 Royal when it hit, played another 80+ hours in New game+ for the platinum and then immediately started on Persona 5 Royal, another 120+ hours for the platinum, but didn't NG+ yet.

Bought Striker PS4, and Persona 5 R on switch. Have yet to start them.

Reading back up on this thread, I'm thinking strikers needs to come out, and my trip to NYCC may be when the next playthrough starts of 5R... maybe I pick it up on Steam and use the deck...

I may have a problem.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Char posted:

Sorry for the drive by posting but
I just heard Counter Strike for the first time and I think I need to play Strikers now

Please support Sophia's Shop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q4ET-FEZUk

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arist posted:

Honestly, the correct answer to that question is 4.

i think it was a gradual growth, and each step was important.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

From what I recall it was basically:

Nocturne came out -> People literally paid attention because it had Dante in it. DDS kind of got attention but it lacked Dante from Devil May Cry
Persona 3 (and later FES) came out and started to attract attention, but it was more of a slow burn.
Persona 4 is when it exploded.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

anakha posted:

Between FES and Portable, which one would be more responsible for the worldwide sales jump?

Definitely not the one on the PSP

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This might just be my experience but I feel like P5R dropping just before the pandemic started led to another huge boom too

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Persona 5 was a comfy winter game and p5 Royal was a comfy pandemic game

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Yeah, I think 4 was when the series gathered serious momentum. 3 was kind of a cult favourite that had interesting ideas plus the whole gun to head thing (as someone else mentioned), which was certainly pretty provocative and iconic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

for the west persona 3 was loving weird at the time. 'anime high school sim' was a way harder sell back then than when p5 came out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Definitely not the one on the PSP
the worldwide sales jump, no, but the psp port of p3 was huge in bringing in female fans in japan, which are a pretty big part of persona's demo these days

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

for the west persona 3 was loving weird at the time. 'anime high school sim' was a way harder sell back then than when p5 came out

I remember being introduced to P3 from a friend of mine after being in Germany for a few years right around its release time. The main drawing point was "Crazy JRPG with kids shooting themselves in the head to summon monsters".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

Yeah, I remember being intrigued by the high school setting at the time but the entire reason I became aware of the game at all was various reactions to the suicide imagery

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We've come a long way so that "a teenager shoots himself in the head to summon a penis demon" is now passé. There needs to be at least 10x the absurdly realistic brainmatter and the penis monster has to be fully customizable with different styles and hats for me to even pay attention.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Item Getter posted:

Yeah I was pretty surprised to hear that quote about Atlus being on the verge of collapse since I always consider the PS2 era to be Peak SMT.
Kind of feel like Digital Devil Saga was the first attempt a couple years before P3 to break into a more mainstream audience, with how it was a much more conventional character-focused "cinematic" RPG that did away with things like demon recruitment/fusion in favor of a standard RPG party and seems largely like a response to Final Fantasy X. Though it was probably still a bit too weird to really catch on and P3 ended up being their breakout hit.

I'd really like to see another Digital Devil Saga type game, just with more engaging dungeons (like P5-style).

So a game with similar style/story to the DDS games, but with more meaningful content instead of just a bunch of very bare-bones dungeons.

There's stuff like SMT4/5, but those games still lean more towards "raw gameplay" and aren't as narrative-driven.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They did kind of do that with Soul Hackers 2, but that game is very forgettable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Soul Hackers 2's cast more than most SMT games. :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like 'em too but still haven't acquired the drive to beat the game. It feels very much like a movie that doesn't exist if you're familiar with the term.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ImpAtom posted:

And Radiata Stories had a fireworks date with whichever girl character (out of nearly the entire game) your relationship was highest with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

I like Soul Hackers 2's cast more than most SMT games. :colbert:

I liked Ringo's "birth" at the start of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I liked Ringo's "birth" at the start of the game.

I thought it was nice and refreshing to have a robot character who was like "Hey, cool, I have a sense of self and personality, this is pretty great, emotions are awesome" rather than BEEP BOOP WHAT IS LOVE?
Even if the whole 'having emotions' thing kinda blew up in their face.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 31, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I played like 45 minutes of SH2 before I got distracted but Ringo was cool for that time, I should give it another go

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are there any SMT-verse games that have a non-silent protagonist? And of those, are there any with more of a personality than Itsuki from TMS? I think I've come around to that being my main beef with the series casts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Are there any SMT-verse games that have a non-silent protagonist? And of those, are there any with more of a personality than Itsuki from TMS? I think I've come around to that being my main beef with the series casts.

Soul Hackers 2!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Serph from Digital Devil Saga is technically speaking not silent!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lot less problems if he'd kept his mouth shut though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Narukami talks in the P4 Arena games, though he isn't really any more of a player character than any of the others in that one

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Soul Hackers 2!

To clarify, Ringo who we were just talking about is the protagonist of Soul Hackers 2, and is absolutely not silent.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Clarste posted:

To clarify, Ringo who we were just talking about is the protagonist of Soul Hackers 2, and is absolutely not silent.

I thought it was really funny that she played Ringo so quickly after playing Sophia in P5S, someone at the outfit that does the translations for Atlus games was like “this lady really conveys being a chipper artificial intelligence learning what it’s like to be human”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

The game may not be everyone's cup of tea (although I enjoyed it) but Ringo is really cool. Love her