Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

quote:

The battle against inflation is not over.

As of July, 61% of adults still said they are living paycheck to paycheck, according to a new LendingClub report, slightly more than last year’s 59%.

Yet, recent releases show that, at least compared with the soaring inflation of a year ago, consumers who have been squeezed by higher prices should be experiencing some relief. June and July both saw easing in the pace of price increases, with core inflation up 0.2% for each month, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

:thunkher::thunkher::thunkher::thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
your bread is now 50 cents cheaper than last week WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Tsitsikovas posted:

it's not cheaper. It just went up by less, percentage wise, in the latest period compared to the previous one.

It's more expensive.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tsitsikovas posted:

core inflation going up means prices are still rising, just not as much

things cant get "better" with CPI going up without wages also going up

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Haha yep

Because we have virtually no leash on the drug or insurance industry they will just offload the costs onto private insurance and uninsured write-offs the same way they did with Medicaid expansion

We need single payer so bad

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

My local news had a story about how student loans were restarting soon, but "the White House wanted to help" with some half rear end measure that doesn't accumulate interest.

Sadly, Number is probably going to love several generations returning to peonage and the Will Stancils of the world will smugly proclaim that "Biden fixed the economy".

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

Delinquencies skyrocketing just before loan repayments kick in is probably good

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

ben shapino posted:

it's not cheaper. It just went up by less, percentage wise, in the latest period compared to the previous one.

It's more expensive.

your bread is only 25 cents more expensive. It was supposed to be 70. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT????????

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
So number mancers, that chart has to show two more steep increases until we get a major dija reduction right?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

every time I see a graph like this I'm reminded that even getting a lump sum and extra $1k a month in unemployment bennies made literally every single social problem better to an unprecedented degree. literal decades of achievement done in three months

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tsitsikovas posted:

your bread is only 50 cents more expensive than last week WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

ftfy

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

every time I see a graph like this I'm reminded that even getting a lump sum and extra $1k a month in unemployment bennies made literally every single social problem better to an unprecedented degree. literal decades of achievement done in three months

nobody could go to Starbucks five times a week during the lockdown, that's why people suddenly had money to pay off debt

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

:tipshat:

listen everyone im not a number man I leave all that to the pros. They insist my life is great so I trust them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tsitsikovas posted:

The bread went up $1.50 last year and is now only up $.50 this year. It's still $2.00 more expensive than 2 years ago.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tsitsikovas posted:

:tipshat:

listen everyone im not a number man I leave all that to the pros. They insist my life is great so I trust them.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Azuth0667 posted:

So number mancers, that chart has to show two more steep increases until we get a major dija reduction right?
:thunk:

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Was it even 1k? Didn’t it come in two different instalments. I think you could see actual faces of disgust as they announced people would receive money, just so poor people wouldn’t die (as much)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This part is the plan that doesn't start till next summer, right?

quote:

What is the SAVE plan?

President Biden launched an income-driven repayment plan that 20 million borrowers may be eligible for. With SAVE, some borrowers will have a monthly payment of $0.

Payments are calculated based on a borrower's income and family size, not loan balances. Then, remaining balances are forgiven after a certain number of years. For example, borrowers with original balances of $12,000 or less will receive forgiveness for any balance remaining beyond 10 years of payments.

Income driven repayment does have a catch, per the Education Department: "Whenever you make lower payments or extend your repayment period, you will likely pay more in interest over time—sometimes significantly more."

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My local news had a story about how student loans were restarting soon, but "the White House wanted to help" with some half rear end measure that doesn't accumulate interest.

Sadly, Number is probably going to love several generations returning to peonage and the Will Stancils of the world will smugly proclaim that "Biden fixed the economy".

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but biden’s plan is, of course, means tested and only applies to households making under a certain threshold. And, of course, that threshold is pretty low. So a lot of people don’t actually qualify for poo poo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KillerFuzzball posted:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but biden’s plan is, of course, means tested and only applies to households making under a certain threshold. And, of course, that threshold is pretty low. So a lot of people don’t actually qualify for poo poo.

Doing more might be wasteful which is something akin to sin in US discourse. If you do next to nothing for people, you don't waste anything on people who don't need it, so it's better.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

KillerFuzzball posted:

And I don't think it goes into full effect for an entire year, which is a real genius move.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And I don't think it goes into full effect for an entire year, which is a real genius move.

Specifically, until the end of October 2024.

3 guesses as to what happens the week after and why that was the cutoff chosen :nsa:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

KillerFuzzball posted:

Well, yeah... They offered a plan.. It's not their fault that a large portion of individuals with student loans don't qualify....

But they offered a plan...

and thus...

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

KillerFuzzball posted:

most borrowers will get some benefit, since it moves the calculation of your income from whatever is above 150% of poverty line to whatever is above 225% of poverty line, and cuts the maximum payment from 10% of that number to 5% of that number

though in the end, you're still paying the whole loan back (and more because of interest), but you won't be as hosed by monthly payments

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pingui posted:

Good news!

And over here we have the communal kitchen & bathroom facilities.

Points to smouldering firepit next to small creek.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

most borrowers will get some benefit, since it moves the calculation of your income from whatever is above 150% of poverty line to whatever is above 225% of poverty line, and cuts the maximum payment from 10% of that number to 5% of that number

though in the end, you're still paying the whole loan back (and more because of interest), but you won't be as hosed by monthly payments

You'll be paying 5-10% of your adjisted income for 10-25 years (based on amount of loan and how much is grad debt), then you get taxed on the remainder when it's forgiven.

The previous common grad loan setup (paye) was 10% of income for only 20 years, so it may actually be worse for some people but very hard to calculate who.

Its somewhat interesting that no politician or media network has made hay out of people getting 100k+ forgiven from PSLF, with no tax. I guess enough of the leadership internalized public service = lower paying despite that not being true for a lot of people.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it also doesnt go into affect until next year and once again does nothing to address the actual cost of education rising every year so the loans get higher

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

good news nothing will actually come of the negotiations

its a giant joke

PhRMA already has lawsuits in the pipeline.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

cat botherer posted:

How did Germans ever get a reputation for being good engineers? All their stuff has been overengineered garbage that breaks since at least WW2.

I'm absolutely not a war nerd, but I love this presentation on tank production during WWII explaining why Germany sucked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ

tl;dr:
- The Germans built tanks to excruciatingly minute details. They had far too many designs and most needed to be finished by hand (think: Tesla, where hand built does not mean good)
- The Soviets were heavily resource limited but realized quickly tanks would get destroyed quickly, and so they only built them to last exactly as long as needed
- The US had the best manufacturing strategy. Also not said by the presenter: we weren't actively engaged in a land war on our own soil

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

PhRMA already has lawsuits in the pipeline.

the funny part is the negotiations can take however long as needed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Euphoriaphone posted:

I'm absolutely not a war nerd, but I love this presentation on tank production during WWII explaining why Germany sucked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ

tl;dr:
- The Germans built tanks to excruciatingly minute details. They had far too many designs and most needed to be finished by hand (think: Tesla, where hand built does not mean good)
- The Soviets were heavily resource limited but realized quickly tanks would get destroyed quickly, and so they only built them to last exactly as long as needed
- The US had the best manufacturing strategy. Also not said by the presenter: we weren't actively engaged in a land war on our own soil

Imo part of the perception comes from troops on the ground capturing German equipment. If you were running around with a BAR an MG42 really was a space gun, if you were in a Sherman a tiger really was an ultra luxurious super tank. These on the ground, anecdotal experiences shape the popular perception of the war far more than production numbers and logistical concerns.

It's also worth noting that everyone had great equipment for their requirements including the Germans. The heer was effectively an 'elite' force in the sense that it was designed to be a very high performance, but very brittle, army that won quickly and decisively and then underwent extensive refit. So doctrinally, high quality, long lasting vehicles with every little detail taken care of made a lot of sense. It was then plunged into a prolonged industrial war with no respite and the rest is history.

Slavvy has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Sep 1, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Imo part of the perception comes from troops on the ground capturing German equipment. If you were running around with a BAR an MG42 really was a space gun, if you were in a Sherman a tiger really was an ultra luxurious super tank. These on the ground, anecdotal experiences shape the popular perception of the war far more than production numbers and logistical concerns.

American troops in Northwest Europe encountered Tiger I's 6 times from landing in Normandy to the end of the war.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

American troops in Northwest Europe encountered Tiger I's 6 times from landing in Normandy to the end of the war.

If you change Sherman to crusader it makes my point even more

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

that has no connection to how many times they thought they encountered Tiger I’s.

it’s like the 88’s every German artillery they encountered were 88’s (they were not).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Right, but that means they believed the Germans had ultra luxurious super tanks while their lying eyes only saw StuGs and beaten up Pz IVs.

Just like the 88 was outperformed by the QF 3.7 and US 90mm.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The sherman was a very, very good tank. The tiger was titanic piece of crap.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The sherman was a very, very good tank. The tiger was titanic piece of crap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On a strategic level absolutely

If I had to actually fight in them I'd pick the tiger personally

Joe doesn't see the production realities of trying to field something like the tiger, he just sees the big gun and thick armour and sweet interior

This is exactly the same as Audi, bmw etc always scoring really high on journalist reviews. They are built to impress journos and ace comparative group tests, the people who actually own the cars aren't writing in magazines

Slavvy has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Sep 1, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Despite Ford being a tremendous Nazi and Hitler having a portrait of him in his office, the German tank industry didn't use mass production nor replaceable parts because the tank companies didn't want to invest the cash to upgrade to factories. Every tank was made in an old timey workshop and when that poo poo broke down it had to be brought back to the same workshop for repairs.

This property alone should render the German tanks as bottom tier garbage. However, the King Tiger was a next level piece of garbage.

See, the King Tiger had a transmission problem that meant it poo poo the bed every few 100KM. That meant it had to be towed back to the factory workshop to be repaired. Again, this is in the middle of an operation. It was necessarily being operated when it crapped itself. But here's the special thing about the King Tiger:

It was loving huge.

That meant the tiger couldn't just be dragged back to a railroad and sent back.

The King Tiger had to be dragged to the railroad and then had to be partially disassembled to fit on the loving train! Then it got shipped, and then had to be rea-loving-ssembled on the other side before it could be towed back to the workshop and repaired.

But you know what? Transmission problems were very normal for this age of tank development. In fact, the original T34 had a transmission problem for a while as well. You know what they did?

They slapped an extra transmission onto the back of the thing and just replaced it in the field!

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Xpforr posted:

:thunk:

Was it even 1k? Didn’t it come in two different instalments. I think you could see actual faces of disgust as they announced people would receive money, just so poor people wouldn’t die (as much)

i mean clearly money doesn’t want to be with them or they wouldn’t be poor. i thought the left was all about consent