Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'll clarify something said above: you can be released for "good behavior" from a federal sentence, but you must have served 85% of that sentence before even applying for release, the process of which takes several months to a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

lilljonas posted:

To get some perspective, 17 years without parole is just short of what you’d be looking at for a murder in the first degree sentence here in Sweden (”sentence for life”, i.e minimum 18 years).

Minimum 25 years before parole in Canada.

Of course they could declare you a Dangerous Offender and keep you imprisoned at His Majesty's pleasure.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Xiahou Dun posted:

17 years is plenty long enough to gently caress up the rest of your life, and it’s worth keeping in mind there is no such thing as parole for federal crimes. This isn’t like a state charge where you can get out early for good behavior.

I get the desire for revenge. Joe Biggs can get hosed. But the prison system is awful and tossing people in oubliettes doesn’t actually help anyone.

Without denying or downplaying the horrors of our brutal prison system(s), in cases like this I do see a positive in Biggs being locked up because he's exactly the type who would immediately jump back on the Infowars train and cause great harm to people the moment he was at liberty so to do. Given his past behavior I don't see him ever learning his lesson, his insincere claims of contrition in the courtroom notwithstanding, and if he had the chance to help lead the next angry mob baying for blood he'd almost certainly do it, except with better weapons so he'd win this time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I think the sentence is fine on its face. 17 years and permanent record of a federal felony is essentially dudes life. What gets people chuffed at US sentencing is people getting life, life without parole, or execution for seemingly lesser, sometimes false charges and based on their race or background often as not. It’s not just the charge, it’s the whole system.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I think the sentence is fine on its face. 17 years and permanent record of a federal felony is essentially dudes life. What gets people chuffed at US sentencing is people getting life, life without parole, or execution for seemingly lesser, sometimes false charges and based on their race or background often as not. It’s not just the charge, it’s the whole system.

One of the other things that people find astonishing about US prison sentences is that they can just add consecutive sentences up until someone gets 237 years.
And like everywhere else in the world is like "this is super dumb. You may as well just say Life without the possibility of parole and be done with it."
While the US justice system is like "but wait. Maybe this criminal is secretly a caveman who was exposed to a meteor and has an unnaturally long life span. We can't take the chance that he is not!"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

One of the other things that people find astonishing about US prison sentences is that they can just add consecutive sentences up until someone gets 237 years.
And like everywhere else in the world is like "this is super dumb. You may as well just say Life without the possibility of parole and be done with it."
While the US justice system is like "but wait. Maybe this criminal is secretly a caveman who was exposed to a meteor and has an unnaturally long life span. We can't take the chance that he is not!"

And that's why there' s no vampires in the US. They're afraid of our prison sentences.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Oracle posted:

And that's why there' s no vampires in the US. They're afraid of our prison sentences.

I thought it's because all the border guards are racists who refuse to invite them in.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Question IRL posted:

How do you propose to run a Suicide Squad if we aren't shaving time off centuries long sentences?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nervous posted:

I thought it's because all the border guards are racists who refuse to invite them in.

But they're so pale!

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nervous posted:

Blah, blah, blah. We've all heard the vampirapologista before.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

The U.S. is that one video game where you're sentenced to a million years for the crime of being born and have to work off your sentence killing monsters or some poo poo.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
finally found the vampire complaining thread! "scratch scratch scratch" I. HEAR YOU. i'm not responding because i'm ignoring you, not because i can't hear you! i know: you want to come in. i get it. my answer hasn't changed though!

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

The Question IRL posted:

Seems like a very straightforward and fair approach. “You’d better hope you’re a vampire because if you are we will be true to our word and release you in 237 years (plus time added for guards fellow prisoners exsanguinated)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There was a case where someone tried to argue they had already completed their life sentence because they had died then been resuscitated.

Spoilers: the courts did not find this argument persuasive

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If DoJ appeals Briggs 17 year sentence would Kelly stating that the sentence determination was a pre-textual dumb show for him to give his already determined sentence have bearing?

“ Kelly: i would have imposed precisely the same sentence had the terrorism guideline not applied. I did not bring it all the way down to where the guideline applied but I can say, if the terrorism adjustment hadn't applied, would've sentenced him to the same.”

Or is the judges discretion so strong here that his reasoning can’t really be questioned? If so, what is the lever used by the prosecution to get an increase? Just showing that the calculation was wrong and didn’t take into account some fact?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was a case where someone tried to argue they had already completed their life sentence because they had died then been resuscitated.

The courts are no fun. That's good lateral thinking.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Any decent defense attorney would have known to appeal that to a Fey court.

Edit: Particularly if the convict was a vampire. The undead by definition cannot serve a life sentence!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Deuce posted:

Any decent defense attorney would have known to appeal that to a Fey court.

Edit: Particularly if the convict was a vampire. The undead by definition cannot serve a life sentence!

If the living can be given a death sentence then why couldn't the undead be given a life sentence?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

What's the point of writing up a legal process for formally converting a bunch of sufficiently long sequential sentences into a life one? The end result is the same thing, so there's no point making some exception law for it

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nervous posted:

If the living can be given a death sentence then why couldn't the undead be given a life sentence?

They get an unlife sentence. If they turn to dust they're done. If however, they just turn into a bunch of bats or a wolf or mist or something, they still have to serve their time.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

A lawyer buddy of mine recounts a time in law school where a student pointed out that murder shouldn't be a crime because it being criminalized hinges on the assumption that being alive is preferable to being dead and that's an unprovable assertion.

The professor's response was "we're not unpacking that because...um...we're not unpacking that"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

There was a Scottish woman who got off on something similar to this back during eighteenth century, Half-Hanged Maggie Dickson who survived being hanged for adultery but was to outward appearances actually dead and was officially declared so by the attending doctor, only to revive and awaken in her coffin some hours later while the undertakers who were supposed to be burying her tarried at a tavern for a few pints. She later successfully argued before a court she's served her sentence of being hanged from the neck until dead, on the evidence of the doctor signing the death certificate, and lived the rest of her life as a dead person.

Sadly, her main legacy these days was to have her story plagiarized borrowed from by JK Rowling who used it as the basis for Nearly-Headless Nick.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There was a Scottish woman who got off on something similar to this back during eighteenth century, Half-Hanged Maggie Dickson who survived being hanged for adultery but was to outward appearances actually dead and was officially declared so by the attending doctor, only to revive and awaken in her coffin some hours later while the undertakers who were supposed to be burying her tarried at a tavern for a few pints. She later successfully argued before a court she's served her sentence of being hanged from the neck until dead, on the evidence of the doctor signing the death certificate, and lived the rest of her life as a dead person.

Sadly, her main legacy these days was to have her story plagiarized borrowed from by JK Rowling who used it as the basis for Nearly-Headless Nick.

loving tragic ending for an absolute queen.

I hope she hosed that dude again too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

loving tragic ending for an absolute queen.

I hope she hosed that dude again too.

Marriage is 'till death do us part' so it was no longer adultery to do so.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Marriage is 'till death do us part' so it was no longer adultery to do so.

But loving a corpse is illegal, so her poor paramour better hope he's got the same strong neckbones as his ladylove.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Oracle posted:

But loving a corpse is illegal, so her poor paramour better hope he's got the same strong neckbones as his ladylove.

And as incompetent/drunk a hangman and attending physician.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was a Twilight Zone episode where a man makes a deal with the devil for immortality. He then kills his wife because he is the kind of jerk who would make a deal with the devil. He is caught and sentenced to prison with a life sentence
Realizing he is immortal that means he will get to spend his entire immortal life in prison. He cries a lot and the devil comes to take his soul to hell.
This has nothing to do with Trump and his elk except that I hope he spends the rest of his life in jail.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What about Trump's elk??

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
drat auto correct. But if he has an elk I wish it no hard will. Elks are cute

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have an odd question, speaking of someone "dying" and coming back- let's say there are two people, A and B. B goes missing one day, A is arrested and tried for murdering B, and does the full sentence, all time served. After A is released from prison, B suddenly returns and is actually alive and well, and it turns out that everything A said during the trial actually happened. Let's assume there were no exonerations or pardons for A because the judge is a dick.

Legally, can A murder B at this point? A had already been arrested and served the sentence for murdering B, so would that fall into double jeopardy?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
There was a movie about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Jeopardy_(1999_film)

Also original verdicts can be undermined or even overturned by new evidence, no? The new fact that person B is now alive would certainly do that.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

What was it Scalia said? Being factually innocent of a crime isn't a reason for appeal.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nervous posted:

The courts are no fun. That's good lateral thinking.

Sure but cardiac arrest =/= “deceased” and while it’s fun and a nice try, clinically there is no argument for it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Randalor posted:

I have an odd question, speaking of someone "dying" and coming back- let's say there are two people, A and B. B goes missing one day, A is arrested and tried for murdering B, and does the full sentence, all time served. After A is released from prison, B suddenly returns and is actually alive and well, and it turns out that everything A said during the trial actually happened. Let's assume there were no exonerations or pardons for A because the judge is a dick.

Legally, can A murder B at this point? A had already been arrested and served the sentence for murdering B, so would that fall into double jeopardy?

Most likely they would simply be considered separate crimes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh okay. Sucks to be person A I suppose.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Randalor posted:

Oh okay. Sucks to be person A I suppose.

I mean unless you get the time you were imprisoned for certified as a miscarriage of justice and then sue the State for an rear end load of money.
Which you then use to legally destroy the life of person B.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Oathkeepers' Stewart Rhodes remains the heaviest sentence from Jan 6 at 18 years. Biggs and Rehl respectively are at 17 and 15, and it'll be interesting to see where Pezzola lands this morning as the jury acquitted him of seditious conspiracy but found him guilty of breaking a window to allow entry and stealing an officer's
shield. I would suspect that Nordean will be on par with Biggs, but Kelly's been... idiosyncratic... thus far

https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697343945963966967

Pezzola's attorney filed a 287 page supplemental sentencing memo this morning that consisted of variations on "how come proud boys and oath keepers get harsher sentences than antifa and BLM?" An attempt to search 'Reinoehl' in the filing came up blank but I'm sure I'll hear from police shooting apologists why it's not fair to include when assessing how punitive this week's sentences are, even as the fash bring up Portland cases unpromoted.

Kelly explained that the timing is inappropriate and the lawyer isn't respecting the process. From the back and forth he's having with prosecutors about the extent to which Pezzola intended to and/or did join the conspiracy, I'm guessing he'll see something substantially lighter than Biggs or Rehl.

ETA: He again credits the defense arguments of "not enough people died for it to be terrorism" and "nothing went boom and terrorism needs explosions" for why he has been and presumably will continue to ignore the enhancement for sentencing purposes despite being compelled to add it (Metcalf is the less inept of Pezzola's counsel):
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697622821654892882
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697623128657019218
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697623992285204956

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 1, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Pezzola sentenced to 10 years, departing from guidelines of 17.5-21 years. Kelly continues to essentially nullify the terrorism enhancement because there were no explosions and the deaths and injuries that did occur were not, in his opinion, enough to count.

A nice shot/chaser
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697648587952337282
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697650078943523250

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does the judge just have a history of being more lenient with sentencing or should I just start assuming the judge is sympathetic to overthrowing the democratically elected president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

Does the judge just have a history of being more lenient with sentencing or should I just start assuming the judge is sympathetic to overthrowing the democratically elected president?

If he was sympathetic he wouldn't have put them in jail at all. The problem seems to be the definition of terrorism, in his mind, requires more than what occurred. Which is incredibly stupid.