Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Oldest Man posted:

Well that's not great since the updated booster is targeting XBB.1.5. BA.2.86 is as distinct from XBB.1.5 as XBB.1.5 was from BA.1.

Just going to repeat this cycle forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Koirhor posted:

I’m just joker laughing constantly its all so loving useless and stupid

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

covid.........

...bad?

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
eh, hard to say. we should probably just let it spread through society unchecked, will probably be fine.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

I don't loving want the center-libertarian variant.

You say that, but actually that is the good one. The one you want to get.

Just kidding - of course - as the entire right side is Omicron, so they are all the ones you want to get.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

an owls casket posted:

eh, hard to say. we should probably just let it spread through society unchecked, will probably be fine.

what if it's NOT bad? we'd be missing out!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gotta catch em all

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Koirhor posted:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
We've seen the US study here before, but this further substantiates a relationship. Now caution should be urged as these are all hospitalized patients and we've seen other research pointing at things like dysfunctional mitochondria, malformed blood cells, autoantibodies etc. It is more than possible that there are different types of "brain fog", with distinct underlying mechanisms.

All that to say: if you have experienced brain fog after COVID, it does not mean you have blood clots in your brain or lungs.

"Brain fog after Covid linked to blood clots - study"

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-66658257 posted:

Blood clots in the brain or the lungs might explain some common symptoms of "long Covid", including brain fog and fatigue, a UK study suggests.

In the study, of 1,837 people admitted to hospital because of Covid, researchers say two blood proteins point to clots being one cause.

It is thought 16% of such patients have trouble thinking, concentrating or remembering for at least six months.

Long Covid can also develop after milder infections.

But the research team, from the universities of Oxford and Leicester, stress:
  • Their findings are relevant only to patients admitted to hospital
  • They are "the first piece of the jigsaw" but further research is needed before they can propose or test any potential treatments
  • They tracked cognitive problems at six and 12 months only and through tests and questionnaires, which may "lack sensitivity"
(..)
Study author Dr Max Taquet, from Oxford, said: "Both fibrinogen and D-dimer are involved in blood clotting and so the results support the hypothesis that blood clots are a cause of post-Covid cognitive problems.

"Fibrinogen may be directly acting on the brain and its blood vessels, whereas D-dimer often reflects blood clots in the lungs and the problems in the brain might be due to lack of oxygen."

Those with high D-dimer levels also:
  • complained of extreme tiredness and being short of breath
  • tended to have difficulty holding down a job
A US study found similar results.

Study proper:
"Acute blood biomarker profiles predict cognitive deficits 6 and 12 months after COVID-19 hospitalization"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02525-y posted:

Abstract
Post-COVID cognitive deficits, including ‘brain fog’, are clinically complex, with both objective and subjective components. They are common and debilitating, and can affect the ability to work, yet their biological underpinnings remain unknown. In this prospective cohort study of 1,837 adults hospitalized with COVID-19, we identified two distinct biomarker profiles measured during the acute admission, which predict cognitive outcomes 6 and 12 months after COVID-19. A first profile links elevated fibrinogen relative to C-reactive protein with both objective and subjective cognitive deficits. A second profile links elevated D-dimer relative to C-reactive protein with subjective cognitive deficits and occupational impact. This second profile was mediated by fatigue and shortness of breath. Neither profile was significantly mediated by depression or anxiety. Results were robust across secondary analyses. They were replicated, and their specificity to COVID-19 tested, in a large-scale electronic health records dataset. These findings provide insights into the heterogeneous biology of post-COVID cognitive deficits.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How much of a difference does swabbing the tonsils make? I can’t see/reach mine. I’ve been swabbing cheeks/gums/back of tongue, is that basically equivalent?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

a lotta ya'll still don't get it

pasc victims can use multiple fogs on a single brain

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
loving launching a vaccine that will probably do gently caress all does not encourage people to get working vaccines later

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Koirhor posted:

loving launching a vaccine that will probably do gently caress all does not encourage people to get working vaccines later

Any monovalent booster against any Omicron is probably going to help quite a bit vs nothing since a year ago. There was quite a bit of Bird App Scientist chatter even then that the bivalent boost should have been a new monovalent Omicron primer/secondary series to properly prime the immune response to such a distinct virus.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
still rooting for original antigenic sin and a lol for humanity

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Walmart is launching a quick testing and treatment? program for COVID in Arkansas because of the large increase here in August: https://katv.com/news/local/walmart...alth-new-strain

The test is $133, no they don't take insurance, no they don't say in the article what kind of test or treatment.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Koirhor posted:

I mean it will work well on XBB, there is still tons of that out there alongside related XBB variants so it'll still be worthwhile (for now) winter time is gonna be completely different for sure tho

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

icantfindaname posted:

How much of a difference does swabbing the tonsils make? I can’t see/reach mine. I’ve been swabbing cheeks/gums/back of tongue, is that basically equivalent?

I think low and slow is the more consistently important thing, but to try and answer your question: Annoyingly some of the first research we got that pointed at the double test had these results:
"Saliva swabs are the preferred sample for Omicron detection"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.22.21268246v1 posted:

Abstract
The Omicron variant is characterised by more than 50 distinct mutations, the majority of which are located in the spike protein. The implications of these mutations for disease transmission, tissue tropism and diagnostic testing are still to be determined. We evaluated the relative performance of saliva and mid-turbinate swabs as RT-PCR samples for the Delta and Omicron variants. The positive percent agreement (PPA) of saliva swabs and mid-turbinate swabs to a composite standard was 71% (95% CI: 53-84%) and 100% (95% CI: 89-100%), respectively, for the Delta variant. However, for the Omicron variant saliva and mid-turbinate swabs had a 100% (95% CI: 90-100%) and 86% (95% CI: 71-94%) PPA, respectively. This finding supports ex-vivo data of altered tissue tropism from other labs for the Omicron variant. Reassessment of the diagnostic testing standard-of-care may be required as the Omicron variant become the dominant variant worldwide.

If you look closely you will note that saliva and nasal cavity (mid-turbinate) swabs switch between Delta and Omicron as the highest PPA.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

icantfindaname posted:

Probably yeah, but you can also just do several hard cough on the swab since anecdotally it helps give a more accurate result if it's lurking in your lungs instead of anywhere else in case

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nice, just in time for the updated XBB.1.5 vaccine that i won't be allowed to get anyways

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

nice, just in time for the updated XBB.1.5 vaccine that i won't be allowed to get anyways

BA.2.86 might not be the most infectious variant, but it has evolved impeccable comedic timing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's no guidance on exposure at work. There's no test site anymore. Employee health just has a voicemail to report a positive test. We're on our own. Lol lmao. Major hospital system, but you're on your own if you get sick. No COVID leave anymore either.

Life in the purge :allears:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
MILD TRANSMISSION

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Koirhor posted:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Fenarisk posted:

Love hearing from my unmasked coworker that she had 3 positive contacts (maskless on the floor) on the weekend alone. And told me this without a mask. After her and everyone else is chart reviewing in the main patient area, who are also all maskless.

While complaining her wife, who masks, is forcing her to lie about masking at work.

Love it.
:nurgle:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

being known as the Covid nerd means that when a friend wants to give away a free Aranet they give it to you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/mrmickme/status/1697351361283928279?s=46

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

being known as the Covid nerd means that when a friend wants to give away a free Aranet they give it to you

drat dude, those are not cheap

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

:nice:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's likely impossible to track, but I'd like to see how infectivity correlates with people bothering to give a poo poo about covid. A mutation needs to be fit when some people are actually trying to stop it from spreading, but now? Any old variant will do.

I've been debating whether or not to post about this just because of how rattled it left me, but I've been out traveling this week and when I was at Yellowstone, some fuckhead ripped my mask off in the parking lot. I had just been to see Old Faithful and was putting my bike back on the car when I heard some giggling, I turned around and two beefy dudes were there, one of them with his hand in my face. I was too surprised for any kind of witty retort, so I just batted him away and got in my van.

It was a pretty low-risk situation (I was about to take it off anyway, lmao) and it's been several days since then so I figure I'm in the clear, but christ, I can't even post what I hope happens to that fucker. Anyway, southeastern Wyoming is nice as well, never been here before.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Infectivity is always likely to be a competitive advantage IMO.

Now, when we get this mixed with some high binding, baby, we'll really see some poo poo.

:negative:

Though with the media response, we're on the path to seeing some poo poo and at least some folks in power may be realizing that. :gonk:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gently caress me running :catstare:

sorry goon that poo poo is terrifying

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

welcome to neurotically opening and closing windows throughout the day

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

biceps crimes posted:

haha yeah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

biceps crimes posted:

600 is pretty good for having closed windows all day. Does my house have a draft or do I secretly have a chlorophyll mutation in my body

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rochallor posted:

some fuckhead ripped my mask off in the parking lot

Holy poo poo, I'm so sorry this happened to you. People can be so loving vile.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

600 is pretty good for having closed windows all day. Does my house have a draft or do I secretly have a chlorophyll mutation in my body

I wouldn't question it too much, congrats

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Steve Yun posted:

Enjoy the alarm you're going to feel when you see what the CO2 levels are in your bedroom in the morning.

A lot of apartments have just terrible loving ventilation.

Steve Yun posted:

You've definitely got a draft. Outdoors is like ~500 most of the time.

The first night in my new apartment with both bedroom doors closed I woke up to like 2400.

(for reference: that scene in Apollo 13 was probably the equivalent of like a 40,000-60,000 on the Aranet.)

kazmeyer has issued a correction as of 03:14 on Sep 1, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Closed windows all day puts every room in my house at like 2500-3000, the ventilation at my place sucks rear end lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

working hard thank you