Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also that's always been the curse of Adult Swim. Even in the good old days Family Guy and Futurama carried the originals on their back. They used to joke about it back when the bumps would display the week's ratings.

I'm curious how the 5-7 Checkered Past block works out. I was mainly a Nickelodeon kid so I don't have the nostalgia but it was fun seeing some old shows on TV. On the one hand I think it's neat and it makes sense to get some use out of the library (same with going ahead and putting old Ten Year Old Tom episodes on Adult Swim) but I feel a little bad to see Cartoon Network get cut down so much. Hopefully kids like the old stuff as much as the new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Not to plug, but Pantheon is back up on Apple+ and Prime. It's an adult sci-fi drama that doesn't lean on sex and violence- the adultness is conceptual.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
By the way, Archer appears to be back, with two episodes already available.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Neeksy posted:

By the way, Archer appears to be back, with two episodes already available.

Oh, thanks for the heads up!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Das Boo posted:

Not to plug, but Pantheon is back up on Apple+ and Prime. It's an adult sci-fi drama that doesn't lean on sex and violence- the adultness is conceptual.

I think they do a cuss in it, do they not? Good show regardless. I’m interested to see where they take it for season 2.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Warbird posted:

I think they do a cuss in it, do they not? Good show regardless. I’m interested to see where they take it for season 2.

They do, but I guess I differentiate because it's not played for shock or comedy. Or maybe because I cuss a lot in my day to day and don't notice. :v:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think there's a difference between a show that has cursing or violence in it and a show that relies on cursing or violence in lieu of writing actual jokes.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really liked Praise Petey, it's an absurdist take on the romantic comedy format where a girl from the big city moves to the country to take over the family business and ends up finding love, except the family business is a cult. The humor is cartoonish, self-aware, and somewhat dark, but the show is also surprisingly sympathetic towards it's cast of characters and willing to acknowledge when the main lead is being a toxic narcissist.

I didn't really enjoy Captain Fall. The animation was great, and a lot of the jokes really worked, but the characters are such vile people doing such vile things that it's hard to care about any of them or want them to succeed. Also, the show really wants you to feel bad about the main character's parents being emotionally neglectful, and yeah they do suck, but the main characters love interest literally sells people to human zoos, arranges for women to kidnapped and raped, and harvests body parts for profit so it's kind of hard to give a gently caress via comparison to all that poo poo.

It’s Carl Hiiasen / Northmen style Scandinavian humour. I don’t love it but it has an audience.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MJeff posted:

American Dad on Adult Swim does insanely good 18-49 ratings for its timeslot. It's legitimately up there with stuff like Big Bang Theory and Friends.

Wait.

Do...do you consider Big Bang Theory to be good or even watchable?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AlternateNu posted:

Wait.

Do...do you consider Big Bang Theory to be good or even watchable?

They mean ratings as in TV ratings (i.e. number of viewers) not critically.

Neeksy posted:

I think there's a difference between a show that has cursing or violence in it and a show that relies on cursing or violence in lieu of writing actual jokes.

I think there's also a difference between having sex and violence as just a part of your show and deliberately leaning into those things to be provocative. Like, the Love Death & Robots series from a while back was a really blatant example of studios receiving "make an adult/mature cartoon short" as the assignment and immediately taking that to mean turning the blood/titty setting to max. And that kind of feels like a shame.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 1, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Am I right in getting the sense that what a lot of goons itt would like is, essentially, a kid's cartoon that happens to star adults? i.e. no swearing, no gore, no sex, low cynicism, looks bright and colourful?

mycot posted:

Like, the Love Death & Robots series from a while back was a really blatant example of studios receiving "make an adult/mature cartoon short" as the assignment and immediately taking that to mean turning the blood/titty setting to max. And that kind of feels like a shame.

Love Death And Robots was always intended to be a spiritual successor to Heavy Metal (originally it was a straight up Heavy Metal film) that Tim Miller and David Fincher spent years trying to convince studio heads to give them a chance on.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

Am I right in getting the sense that what a lot of goons itt would like is, essentially, a kid's cartoon that happens to star adults? i.e. no swearing, no gore, no sex, low cynicism, looks bright and colourful?

Not really? Like what a lot of other posters have said already, there's a lot of anime that isn't superheroes or giant robots that would be very boring to an actual child but deal with subject matter that is itself "adult". Like really lowkey and grounded personal dramas where nobody has superpowers.

e. I'm trying not to be a dick but it's really weird to be in this thread and define maturity as how graphic and cynical it is. Nobody would do this for any medium that wasn't cartoons!

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 1, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love adult themes and concepts with any nudity or gore being incidental rather than provocative. Monster was a really good example of that. I also adore Vinland Saga for the same reason.

Though films like Only Yesterday and The Illusionist avoid all "adult" conventions while being about things that really only resonate with adults.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Very early Rugrats is a kids cartoon that has weirdly adult themes because all of the early episodes are really about the parents and types of parenting and parental experiences (like being forced to sit through an extremely stupid kids movie or being at beck and call for a sick child.) Literally all of that goes over your head as an actual kid.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 1, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Shirobako is an anime that passes the bechdel test, deals with adult themes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Das Boo posted:

I love adult themes and concepts with any nudity or gore being incidental rather than provocative. Monster was a really good example of that. I also adore Vinland Saga for the same reason.

Though films like Only Yesterday and The Illusionist avoid all "adult" conventions while being about things that really only resonate with adults.
i think Only Yesterday was based on a josei manga too, so yeah. josei and seinen anime will often deal with more mature subject matter. there's never enough of 'em

e: also Chihayafuru

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 1, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mycot posted:

Not really? Like what a lot of other posters have said already, there's a lot of anime that isn't superheroes or giant robots that would be very boring to an actual child but deal with subject matter that is itself "adult". Like really lowkey and grounded personal dramas where nobody has superpowers.

e. I'm trying not to be a dick but it's really weird to be in this thread and define maturity as how graphic and cynical it is

I'm just trying to understand. I've largely seen complaints about certain trends in adult animation ("cheap violence", "Even something pretty tame like Futurama will feel the need to get nasty here and there", "cussing", a lack of "actually mature themes"), rather than getting a sense of what people would prefer adult animation to be.

I might be mistaken, but I think you're the first goon to define what the counter examples would look like, rather than provide examples (like Nana) that fit through the sieve.

Maybe this is coming across as hostile myself, but it's not intended to. I'm trying to construct an understanding of what people are looking for (and it sounds like they're looking for Strange World on Apple?) rather than what they're reacting against.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm just trying to understand. I've largely seen complaints about certain trends in adult animation ("cheap violence", "Even something pretty tame like Futurama will feel the need to get nasty here and there", "cussing", a lack of "actually mature themes"), rather than getting a sense of what people would prefer adult animation to be.

I might be mistaken, but I think you're the first goon to define what the counter examples would look like, rather than provide examples (like Nana) that fit through the sieve.

Maybe this is coming across as hostile myself, but it's not intended to. I'm trying to construct an understanding of what people are looking for (and it sounds like they're looking for Strange World on Apple?) rather than what they're reacting against.

Sorry, my jimmies were rustled, I can admit that. It's kinda hard to pin down because usually the things that provoke this reaction aren't very well liked (so it's difficult to separate from perceived quality) but if you want another counterexample the reaction to Sausage Party is a pretty good one.

E. Wait I read that wrong WHATEVER

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 1, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

mycot posted:

Very early Rugrats is a kids cartoon that has weirdly adult themes because all of the early episodes are really about the parents and types of parenting and parental experiences (like being forced to sit through an extremely stupid kids movie or being at beck and call for a sick child.) Literally all of that goes over your head as an actual kid.

Oh man, the 4AM Pudding was a vibe for a good bit for me. It turned into a weirdly wholesome self help thing on /v/ something like a decade ago. It helped that they co-opted that Protomen song what whipped rear end.

I’m also realizing just now that the Protomen are just less successful GWAR comprised of somehow even bigger dorks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Warbird posted:

Oh man, the 4AM Pudding was a vibe for a good bit for me. It turned into a weirdly wholesome self help thing on /v/ something like a decade ago. It helped that they co-opted that Protomen song what whipped rear end.

I’m also realizing just now that the Protomen are just less successful GWAR comprised of somehow even bigger dorks.

IT'S ALL GONNA BURN
THE ONLY WAY THEY'LL EVER LEARN

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Even something pretty tame like Futurama will feel the need to get nasty here and there, although I guess 90s Nickelodeon was nastier.

This just made me remember the bit where Fry gets his hands bitten off by a T-Rex (And laugh and laugh.) You see the stumps and bones, but Fry seems unfazed by the experience, so it doesn't feel as grisly.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm curious how the 5-7 Checkered Past block works out. I was mainly a Nickelodeon kid so I don't have the nostalgia but it was fun seeing some old shows on TV. On the one hand I think it's neat and it makes sense to get some use out of the library (same with going ahead and putting old Ten Year Old Tom episodes on Adult Swim) but I feel a little bad to see Cartoon Network get cut down so much. Hopefully kids like the old stuff as much as the new.

When they announced expanding to 5 PM, they cited that they had seen like 40-90% increases over CN viewership in 18-35/49 demos in the first two weeks of the 7 PM block - whether it was the programming or the branding, it worked. I'm guessing that the 5-17 numbers stay the same - does the needle move that much with kids if they're showing Teen Titans Go vs. Dexter's Lab in a weeknight rerun block? - and any uptick in 18-49 viewership from nostalgia watchers can be cited as a "Wow, look at how Adult Swim is growing when other networks are stagnating" statistic for advertisers.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

mycot posted:

They mean ratings as in TV ratings (i.e. number of viewers) not critically.

I think there's also a difference between having sex and violence as just a part of your show and deliberately leaning into those things to be provocative. Like, the Love Death & Robots series from a while back was a really blatant example of studios receiving "make an adult/mature cartoon short" as the assignment and immediately taking that to mean turning the blood/titty setting to max. And that kind of feels like a shame.

This is literally the 1st show I thought of when I read that post lol. That show was basically what I imagine a 14 year old boy (and not a particularly sharp one) thinks of as EDGY ADULT CONTENT. Just BALLS BALLS BALLS TITTIES TITTIES TITTIES. There are children's shows with more depth and maturity than the half of a season of it I watched.

Anyway, as a recommendation, Bojack Horseman deals with a lot of heavy themes.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 1, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

koolkal posted:

basically what I imagine a 14 year old boy (and not a particularly sharp one) thinks of as EDGY ADULT CONTENT.

This is what we're all reacting disdainfully to, 100%.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hey now, more shows should have titties. Ain’t no one ever benefited from a lack of titties. We can bring some balls along for the ride as well. It’s only fair, plus they’re hilarious. They’re fukkin balls.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

e: also Chihayafuru

I am waiting for that final season. IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN, THE MANGA IS ALREADY DONE C'MON!!

My favorite Rugrats joke was the Dr. Kevorkian reference one of the grandparents makes in regard to being stuck watching someone's trip slideshow.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Warbird posted:

We can bring some balls along for the ride as well. It’s only fair, plus they’re hilarious. They’re fukkin balls.

Sounds like we need ro get Danny McBride to make a cartoon show.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Love, Death, and Robots is very hit or miss but it does have some excellent individual segments, like Zima Blue.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Das Boo posted:

Interesting, they've put it up at a whole new page, with the original page still down:

Old: https://www.amazon.com/Pantheon-Season-1/dp/B0B8PCC3Z3

New: https://www.amazon.com/Pantheon-Season-01/dp/B0B8SZDH8C

Switching the season numbering around to include a leading zero seems awfully optimistic about its longevity I'll say

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, I got no idea what the gently caress, if they bought S2 or what. I'm still on the crew Discord and one person just popped in like, "Hey, somebody said it's on Apple+ now?" No one has any clue.

At the wrap party in April, it was Crunchyroll who was allegedly the biggest prospect. Usually production are the folks who stay on top of these things after we roll off, but they seem to be just as in the dark as the rest of us. S'weird.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

When I think of adult shows that are more mature, it's not that they don't have sex or violence, it's that sex and violence have consequences and are treated seriously (and aren't just ephemeral punchlines).

Bojack is a good example (past the first chunk of S1).

S1 of Gary And His Demons is more serious than not (people are randomly killed but that has more to do with Gary's detachment and being desensitized, injuries still take time to heal and are risky); while S2 of Gary is far less mature (with "comedic" violence that heals away in-between scenes).

The Merkinman posted:

[Can you recommend] any Animation for Adults that isn't just an excuse to be as violent and gory as possible?

Gary And His Demons S1 is my answer even if it's not a perfect one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll always go to bat for Home Movies but I think it's a particularly apt contender in this context.

It's particularly interesting in that the main characters are kids, but the themes are all adult-grade day-in-the-life kind of stuff that would be meaningless to most kids or require way too much cultural awareness or understanding of day-to-day human dynamics. I always particularly love the bit where Paula suddenly breaks off a kid-coded conversation with Brendan about his dad/her ex-husband to grouse to herself that "Ugh! This is another one of his antiseptic remedies. It's clinical and detached. It's nonsense! I should talk to him!"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Data Graham posted:

I'll always go to bat for Home Movies but I think it's a particularly apt contender in this context.

It's particularly interesting in that the main characters are kids, but the themes are all adult-grade day-in-the-life kind of stuff that would be meaningless to most kids or require way too much cultural awareness or understanding of day-to-day human dynamics. I always particularly love the bit where Paula suddenly breaks off a kid-coded conversation with Brendan about his dad/her ex-husband to grouse to herself that "Ugh! This is another one of his antiseptic remedies. It's clinical and detached. It's nonsense! I should talk to him!"

Ten year old tom the main characters are kids too and that is a more adult show than home movies. I mean I guess south park too, but that leans heavily into edgelord extreme. Kids as main characters isn't a good indicator of target audience I guess.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Warbird posted:

Act III never… :negative:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Love, Death, and Robots is very hit or miss but it does have some excellent individual segments, like Zima Blue.

The first season of LD&R I will defend to the death.

The rest, eh, not so much. There're some drat fine ideas in there, but that wildness and freedom of the first season is dead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Most "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" anime are technically aimed towards adult men (seinen)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like American culture has a history of a weird need to push things into the territory of children's entertainment, which is also why some works feel the need to really stake themselves as adult content to prevent from getting pushed there.

It's only fairly recently with the explosion of "nerd culture" that we've been bucking the trend en masse, but I can't say definitively that things won't turn back that way in a few decades.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! was a really good no sex, no gore show about animation production. They even subvert the bathhouse/hot springs trope by making it all about capturing the movement of water and steam. With zero cheesecake.

This is one of my favorite bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTp4DF-4OYo

Nothing explicit, but 100% made for animators by animators. A kid would probably find the whole thing dull as dirt unless they were also passionate about making animation.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

“Ima do a thing where I have to draw fukkin hands all time.”
“Now ima draw them just so so that I can simulate 3 dimensional movement and physical interaction of these hell objects and do this as a career.”

Things said by well adjusted people. Though curing grandma’s lameness through the power of animation is neat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like American culture has a history of a weird need to push things into the territory of children's entertainment, which is also why some works feel the need to really stake themselves as adult content to prevent from getting pushed there.

It's only fairly recently with the explosion of "nerd culture" that we've been bucking the trend en masse, but I can't say definitively that things won't turn back that way in a few decades.

"Children's Entertainment" was always its own special silo because of advertisers essentially. While just about any type of program would be amenable on Cartoon Network or Nick Jr. for an insurance or car ad as parents might be watching, toy commercials wouldn't exactly work if placed in the middle of Law & Order. It's a specialized space with specific appeals and also Karen groups watching like a hawk for anything possibly untowards in or adjacent to said programming.

Besides that, blame network executives basically. People who've been in the biz for decades and seen not just what successful properties look like, but failures, but never quite fully understanding the difference because much of their mindset is locked into when they started their careers and not in the present. Now with the internet, ads can be microtargeted and served based on the individual user rather than the network and timeslot. Advertisers have been freed from those shackles and so for the companies now, it doesn't matter as much who's watching when, just that there's watchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Das Boo posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! was a really good no sex, no gore show about animation production. They even subvert the bathhouse/hot springs trope by making it all about capturing the movement of water and steam. With zero cheesecake.

This is one of my favorite bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTp4DF-4OYo

Nothing explicit, but 100% made for animators by animators. A kid would probably find the whole thing dull as dirt unless they were also passionate about making animation.

Eizouken is 100% a pro-watch :allears: It was my favorite anime of 2020