Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

njsykora posted:

If Sony had made games for it that would also have been nice.

Nah, it was the defacto portable emulator for a while for good reason. Then the Deck blew its rear end in a top hat out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Happy page 666 deckheads :toot:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jokes posted:

Nah, it was the defacto portable emulator for a while for good reason. Then the Deck blew its rear end in a top hat out

Yeah that reason was it was a dead console nobody wanted so Sony killed it and left the corpse to the homebrew scene to pick over.

If they’d released games on it then it might have stood a chance as an actual console instead of a P4G and PS4 remote play device for its entire active lifespan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been playing the hell out of AC6 on the Deck and it’s wild how good back buttons are for it. Death 2 Claw.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Steam Deck rules hail satan page 666

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve been playing the hell out of AC6 on the Deck and it’s wild how good back buttons are for it. Death 2 Claw.

I loving love Ace Combat 6

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that reason was it was a dead console nobody wanted so Sony killed it and left the corpse to the homebrew scene to pick over.

If they’d released games on it then it might have stood a chance as an actual console instead of a P4G and PS4 remote play device for its entire active lifespan.

Hey now it was the vita that introduced me to the EDF series as well!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Beastie posted:

I loving love Ace Combat 6

No they mean Assasin's Creed 6: Syndicate

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'm curious, I have a 64 GB deck, and I've got a 1tb micro SD.

All my games have been installed in the SD card, and I saw a low disk warning. I assume it's shaders related, but would that cause graphics related crashes?

Lost Planet 3 and another game I just installed are both crashing on me, with one of them claiming a direct 3d issue.

CryoUtilities will clean up shader caches and compatdata for games you no longer have installed. It can also move those folders onto the SD card only for games that are already on the SD card, keeping all of that together.

Its recommended settings for performance are just good in general and you can get them with a couple of clicks, highly recommended if you install it.

As someone mentioned, it's easy to swap in a 512GB or 1TB ssd if you want to, though SD prices are def cheaper and performance is very good.

If you're planning to stick with SD, I'd run Cryoutils periodically to clean up on the internal drive without losing any data.

The good news is that both the shader cache and compatdata will be recreated by Steam if lost, all you lose is some time, nothing else. The compatdata folders contain the Windows install ("prefix" in Wine/Proton lingo) that each of your games uses. So if a game need VC++ libraries, Steam will install those libraries to the compatdata folder for that game. It's a Windows disk, basically, sitting in that folder. If the folder is missing, Steam will create it and install any dependencies the game needs the next time you launch the game.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really gotta get decky and poo poo installed on my deck.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 31, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

jokes posted:

I have a stock OLED Vita; the screen is so good. There’s really no reason to mod it now that I have a Deck.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tango alpha delta posted:

I have a stock OLED Vita; the screen is so good. There’s really no reason to mod it now that I have a Deck.

There are a few games that still aren't available elsewhere, and the Deck can't emulate the Vita for poo poo.

Offhand, I know the definitive versions of the Trails in the Sky games are Vita only. The PC version is a port of like the PS2 version or something. The Vita versions have better graphics and a proper orchestra score.

E: I'm using THIS guide to install mods for Skyrim, and it says its common for the SteamTinkerLauncher to appear to freeze when installing Vortex. It says to just wait a few minutes, but its been like 30 min and its still just sitting there.

Anyone have experience with this?

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 31, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pre-release talk of Starfield on Steam Deck is that it doesn't launch at all. It did launch on the Ally but also crashed constantly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

njsykora posted:

Pre-release talk of Starfield on Steam Deck is that it doesn't launch at all. It did launch on the Ally but also crashed constantly.

https://toucharcade.com/2023/08/31/starfield-steam-deck-review-xbox-series-pc/

Sub 20fps in cities, otherwise “playable” out in the open

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really want to know if the GFN version streams at 60fps.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

did vita trails in the sky have turbo mode? can't imagine playing them without

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

baram. posted:

did vita trails in the sky have turbo mode? can't imagine playing them without

Not sure. I'll pull out my Vita in a minute and check. I assume it did though, because it seemed to be designed as the definitive versions of those games.

E: yeah you can hold X to speed up battles, and select lets you Auto Battle.

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 31, 2023

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the pc versions didn't get turbo until a couple years after the vita release so i wouldn't be surprised if it's missing

e: oh the vita ones only have it in battle? that's whack

global turbo or bust.

baram. fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 31, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

baram. posted:

the pc versions didn't get turbo until a couple years after the vita release so i wouldn't be surprised if it's missing

e: oh the vita ones only have it in battle? that's whack

global turbo or bust.

I didn't check for global. I haven't played any other version, what does global turbo mean? Like all movement is sped up?

Lemme get it back out.

E: turbo in battle, not outside of battle. Can hold X outside of battle to fast forward dialog.

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 31, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

tango alpha delta posted:

There is 100% a reason to mod any vita. You want to be able to use regular rear end SD cards with SD2vita instead of the super expensive and tiny proprietary sony cards. Also you can put on adrenaline for nearly perfect PSP emulation as a nice bonus.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

tater_salad posted:

I really gotta get decky and poo poo installed on my deck.

Yes you should, but if you're saying this in response to people talking about Cryoutilities, just fyi that's something separate and not a part of Decky.

I definitely recommend both.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Annath posted:

I didn't check for global. I haven't played any other version, what does global turbo mean? Like all movement is sped up?

Lemme get it back out.

E: turbo in battle, not outside of battle. Can hold X outside of battle to fast forward dialog.

yeah global turbo runs the whole game at whatever multiplier.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Success, finally got Trails of Cold Steel, GOG version on the deck and the cloud saves transferred over fine using Heroic.

It was a struggle with Heroic Games Launcher though, the download stuck at 99.7%. Some bad info on their issue tracker about "Processing files, please wait" meaning "wait a few hours and it'll be fine." No actually, what I had to do was pause and resume the download, rather than wait four hours :rolleyes:

Last thing I need is installing lavfilters and whatnot to get the intro video working.

Methinks I should buy Steam copies instead from now on... sorry my DRM-free principles if you ever existed to begin with.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes you should, but if you're saying this in response to people talking about Cryoutilities, just fyi that's something separate and not a part of Decky.

I definitely recommend both.

somewhat.. Decky has poo poo that I want like the compatibility list in the store and library etc.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I found my Steam Controller. Going to pair it to my Steam Deck for the ultimate Valve Gaming Experience tm.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
There's a new Steam Deck OS update - what needs to be redone after an update?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Most of the time, nothing.

E: Lol the one patch note is to fix Starfield crashing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 1, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you've got Decky you might need to reinstall it but that's about it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've had my steam deck docked and in sleep mode since February, is it gonna be hosed up when I turn it on again?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's not great for the battery, but other than almost certainly having to reinstall Decky you're probably fine OS-wise.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

who is gonna fall on the Starfield sword?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Commander Keene posted:

That's not great for the battery, but other than almost certainly having to reinstall Decky you're probably fine OS-wise.

Should I instead like power it down and put it fully off? I am going to get around to steam deck games again at some point, but Nintendo has kept me eating this year

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My switch sat in its dock for a year in sleep mode and it works fine

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Beastie posted:

it's on gamepass and it's a long weekend so I'll probably finally get around to trying that Moonlight thing y'all keep blabbing about and try to play it that way.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Should I instead like power it down and put it fully off? I am going to get around to steam deck games again at some point, but Nintendo has kept me eating this year

Booth into BIOS (hold VOL+ while turning it on) and go to like system config.

Enable "battery storage mode".

The Deck will shut off, and won't turn back on until you plug in the charger.

This is what you do if you're not going to use it for a while.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beastie posted:

it seems like the ideal game to stream to the Deck over xcloud or w/e

i'm not buying and installing a 125GB game lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

it seems like the ideal game to stream to the Deck over xcloud or w/e

i'm not buying and installing a 125GB game lol

140gb

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hail Steam Deck!

Beastie posted:

I bought a new GPU and it came with a free Steam Key for the game so I can give it a shot since I'll have it anyway.

sigher fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 1, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Isn’t it only people who paid for extra for the wallet-emptier edition who get to play this weekend?

Lol they even sell a gamepass add on to unlock it early for the truly deranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you’re posting that in a thread for people who bought a $500 Linux device