Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

sugar free jazz posted:

what are xianxia and wuxia

insane traditional chinese medicine + alchemy progression fantasy and ripoffs of journey to the west, respectively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Funnily enough, both of those examples are already handled by monk. Cultivator is all about cultivating qi in some way or another to do silly things with it (which well, monk) and monk has a lot of wuxia elements in there already.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
How does the Monk in 2e hold up? I was a big fan in PF1e, even if it didn't keep up on the 'powergamer' curve.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Monk is awesome, extremely mobile, tanky, good control if you lean heavily in to maneuvers like mixed maneuver, combat grab, whirling throw, trips, etc.

Probably not the most crazy damage powerhouse, but it's reliable and your super action efficiency gives you plenty of room to do other stuff as needed too.

Right now I play mine as a mix between grappler with a shield to control and lock stuff down + I took mauler dedication to get a huge beefy 2 hander to whip out when I need some extra hitting power.

e: I'd say monk is much less good if you're very in to the ki spell aspects of it, but as a martial artist it's great.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 31, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I've been saving one for later use, but am really interested in trying it. Some of the ki spells are insanely good - Wholeness of Body functionally makes you immune to disease and very poison-resistant, for instance. Ki Blast isn't amazing on damage, but force damage cone with knockback still very usable.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Rythian posted:

I found it super useful, thank you for the tips!

Also remember that Foundry comes with A LOT of free pre-walled maps. From there you can see which artist do you like the most.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jon posted:

How does the Monk in 2e hold up? I was a big fan in PF1e, even if it didn't keep up on the 'powergamer' curve.

If your class fantasy is all about mobility and being defensive by having the best saving throws in the game, the monk is for you.

the damage is on par with the other non-fighter martials like a Champion or Rogue or Swashbuckler or whatever, but unlike them, a monk has a very easy time darting in and out of melee range to waste enemy actions on movement, etc etc.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Thanks, Chevy. Sounds fun, and I think I'll give it a shot as a character next chance I get to start a new game.

Dungeon Alchemist had an update today. It's the "treasury" update that adds a bunch of shiny stuff, as well as the ability to make anything already in the game golden like it was gilded. But, the real fun comes in the added feature of the Custom Asset Importer, meaning that you can take any properly formatted 3D model and implement it into Dungeon Alchemy. Potentially game changing, depending on the community and how much content becomes available.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
No other info yet, but here's the sketch artwork for the new classes going to playtest:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nature classes? Not really my thing

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
New classes are the Animist and Exemplar

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 1, 2023

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
In PF1e the Exemplar was a Brawler archetype that could buff teammates. I wonder what it looks like in 2e. Got a link to the info?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jon posted:

In PF1e the Exemplar was a Brawler archetype that could buff teammates. I wonder what it looks like in 2e. Got a link to the info?

It's an ongoing stream https://www.twitch.tv/officialpaizo

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

both feel incarnum inspired

which is a good thing

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Reposting everything combined now that they are done explaining the classes and entering QA

Animist -wis-based divine full caster that bonds with an Apparition to get cross-domain spells/related abilities
-examples:one that gives Primal healing and plant spells, occult spells based around sneaking and darkness, primal power based on throwing fire and earth around
- inspired by 3.5's Binder,
- has 2 subclasses (aka Animistic Practices), Sage and Channeler
- base chassis is prepared, apparition spells are spontaneous and you get up to 4 by max level
- can rechoose apparations at the start of each day
- another Apparition is Witness of Ancient Battles which gives some fighting abilities
- Sage is dedicated to a single apparition and can get possessed by the apparition for more stuff, but is limited to a limited set of actions that the apparition can do
- Channeler is the other Animistic Practice focused on using multiple apparations and has a special ability to swap your main active apparitions as a 1-action ability
- mentioned feat that lets an apparition carry you around as a fly speed but you dont get its other bonuses while carrying you around
- other feats to let you sacrifice your apparition's bond for the day for a boost (quickened spell is the mentioned bonus, but as an example of a variety of feats to sacrifice your apparition)
Some Apparitions (had to rehost images)
https://pasteboard.co/okk9yw2oRFKl.png

Exemplar - Rare class
- has seized a bit of the divine, has a "Divine Spark" (got hit by a bit of god-stuff that fell from the sky when a god got ripped in half - one of the main 20 gods is getting killed for this)
- inspired by Hercules, Sun Wukong, Cu Chulainn, Maui
- supposed to be just as good unarmored and with simple weapons as with high quality stuff
- Can invest divine spark in one of three types of places called ikons at a time - body, weapon, or worn - and burn it as a Transcend action for a bonus and to move your divine spark into some other ikon
- Gain Epithets as you level
- Other epithets mentioned: Born of the Bones of the Earth, Restless as the Tide, Peerless Under Heaven, Teacher of Heroes
- Work with GM to have the epithets come up as something that happens in story that gives you the name
- the class is new as a thing on Golarion
https://pasteboard.co/axi8vJglLSnV.png

Edit: For some reason inline images are not showing up, so just click the links

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 1, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
QA questions

Q: How many apparitions do you get?
A: Animists start with two apparitions (chosen at start of day), one of which is primary - Sage can only swap primary as a 10 minute activity, Channeler can do it as a 1 action ability, you get up to 4 apparitions total as you level.

Q: Does the Examplar have any healing?
A: Mostly based around beating people up, has some self-healing, one high level featlets you save an ally from falling to zero

Q: Does that mean at higher levels with multiple apparitions you will have up to 8 lore skills at once?
A: Yes, shouldn't be overwhelming since Lore skills are so specific

Q: Can you expand on what weapons are available to a weapon ikon?
A: Similar to what's already shown, weapon ikon abilities are tied to categories of weapons. Examples: one is "all ranged weapons", one is "sword or knife group", one is "hammers, clubs, or axes"

Q: Are all of the focus spells sustained for one minute [for the animist]?
A: All are one action to activate and sustained for one minute, designed as good solid way to use third action while still casting a 2 action spell

Q: What are your favorite feats for each class?
A: High level exemplar feat Seven Colored Cosmic Bridge that lets your weapon scatter rainbow colored light when you hit and teleport, Transcendance ability is a light beam that does damage and then lets you teleport along the beam. Animiststs give "wandering feats" that let you change out feats to match your apparitions per day, "Shadows Within Shadows" - if you would be detected while hidden or a spell counteracted that is hiding you, enemy has to reroll result and take the lower.

Q: Immortality capstones?
A: Both classes and all the archteypes have immortality capstones, Animists is' Eternal Guide: 1/week when you die, after 24 hours your spirits that guide you and your gear carry you back to the settlement you call home unless you're raised/soul imprisoned/etc, either resurrecting you or bringing you back in someone else as your someone else you chose as your inheritor (can change ancestry via this), this person gains all their levels. Exemplar's is Beyond Mortality - you cease aging, 1/day when you die you can burn all your focus points to heal yourself to full, stand up, and summon all your armaments to you and reinvest them.

A: Stream froze for a bit and I had to refresh and wait for an ad so missed the question, something about stealth Examplar abilities
Q": Epithet: thief of moonlight, snatches the light from enemies eyes to make them dazzled or unable to see, transcendence ability makes you invisible by making people you pass blinded
Epithet - Sunwrecker, creates darkness and gives you darkvision

Q: Key ability for each class?
A: Animist is Wis-based, 8+con HP. Exemplar is Str or Dex, 10+Con HP

Q: Why do the classes use "all creatures" rather than just "all allies" or "all enemies"?
A: Trying to balance abilities

Q: Are there any pets, animal companions, or other followers for Animist/Exemplar?
A: Not standard abilities for either, might be added later. Animist's apparitions can't affect real world except via the Animist themselves.

Q: Ending with a silly question, how are each of the classes like Batman?
A: Animist is like Batman because as long as they know what they're preparing for can prepare for anything. Exemplar is like Batman because even though he is very sneaky you always know he is there.

There will be Foundry update for Animist and Exemplar out tomorrow

Playtest drops 10 AM pacific time tomorrow

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 1, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Piell posted:

Reposting everything combined now that they are done explaining the classes and entering QA

Animist -wis-based divine full caster that bonds with an Apparition to get cross-domain spells/related abilities
-examples:one that gives Primal healing and plant spells, occult spells based around sneaking and darkness, primal power based on throwing fire and earth around
- inspired by 3.5's Binder,
- has 2 subclasses (aka Animistic Practices), Sage and Channeler
- base chassis is prepared, apparition spells are spontaneous and you get up to 4 by max level
- can rechoose apparations at the start of each day
- another Apparition is Witness of Ancient Battles which gives some fighting abilities
- Sage is dedicated to a single apparition and can get possessed by the apparition for more stuff, but is limited to a limited set of actions that the apparition can do
- Channeler is the other Animistic Practice focused on using multiple apparations and has a special ability to swap your main active apparitions as a 1-action ability
- mentioned feat that lets an apparition carry you around as a fly speed but you dont get its other bonuses while carrying you around
- other feats to let you sacrifice your apparition's bond for the day for a boost (quickened spell is the mentioned bonus, but as an example of a variety of feats to sacrifice your apparition)

Exemplar - Rare class
- has seized a bit of the divine, has a "Divine Spark" (got hit by a bit of god-stuff that fell from the sky when a god got ripped in half - one of the main 20 gods is getting killed for this)
- inspired by Hercules, Sun Wukong, Cu Chulainn, Maui
- supposed to be just as good unarmored and with simple weapons as with high quality stuff
- Can invest divine spark in one of three types of places called ikons at a time - body, weapon, or worn - and burn it as a Transcend action for a bonus and to move your divine spark into some other ikon
- Gain Epithets as you level
- Other epithets mentioned: Born of the Bones of the Earth, Restless as the Tide, Peerless Under Heaven, Teacher of Heroes
- Work with GM to have the epithets come up as something that happens in story that gives you the name
- the class is new as a thing on Golarion

These sound super cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Exemplar sounds like a class you'd have to build the campaign around a bit as a GM, but if everyone is down and the player is willing to do the homework sounds like it'd be tight.

I love the Animist giving a spellcaster "jack of many trades" option.

Solid announcements.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Exemplar sounds neat.

I wonder which god they're gonna kill off.
Personally hoping it's Cayden, but I'm afraid it'll be Desna.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
They're not killing off one of the goddesses in the gay polygamous relationship and Cayden is way too popular as a story for new players I think

My bet's on Torag (boring, copy of Moradin), Erastil (1e lore is misogynistic, kinda pointless for adventurers), or Asmodeus (brand differentiation from D&D)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jen X posted:

They're not killing off one of the goddesses in the gay polygamous relationship and Cayden is way too popular as a story for new players I think

My bet's on Torag (boring, copy of Moradin), Erastil (1e lore is misogynistic, kinda pointless for adventurers), or Asmodeus (brand differentiation from D&D)

Asmodeus was the leading theory, but wouldn't it make the lore of the Exemplar class a bit strange? I guess the idea would be that the "divine spark" itself isn't corrupted by its previous holder, so it coming from a devil doesn't matter?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Assuming they're not knocking off some minor or regional deity, Sarenrae seems like a possible hit as far as shaking things up by knocking out an obvious good god in a similar way to Aroden. Pharasma would be the biggest shakeup I think but I'd be very sad if they choose to go that way.

e: Iomedae would be also be possibility for a story thing in that it would essentially be a suggestion of further mysterious forces against Aroden, the person who tries to take his place gets smacked down when she gets too close.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It's actually just Aroden god-stuff that had a 100 year delay of descending

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Rovagug would be the coolest

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Sarenrae fits the Solar Exalted vibe of the Exemplar a lot better than Asmodeus does, at least. But what about all the people who play Clerics or Champions of Sarenrae?

Asmodeus works much better in that regard, because in addition to his being evil, there's an obvious solution: you get your power from Mephistopheles now.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

zon-kuthon could kinda work, maybe shelyn reawakens dad and they gently caress him up

maybe it's thron that gets hosed up thatd be sick

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sugar free jazz posted:

zon-kuthon could kinda work, maybe shelyn reawakens dad and they gently caress him up

maybe it's thron that gets hosed up thatd be sick

zon is very unlikely considering he's still kicking around in starfinder

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blockhouse posted:

zon is very unlikely considering he's still kicking around in starfinder

Ehh, gods die and come back almost as much as comic book characters, or others take up their name.
Hell, look at D&D, we're on what? The third or fourth Mystra?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Killing Zon is also kinda boring. If you're killing a god to progress the setting, you want to knock out someone who's a significant part of the status quo, not a villainous little periphery guy.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Killing Zon is also kinda boring. If you're killing a god to progress the setting, you want to knock out someone who's a significant part of the status quo, not a villainous little periphery guy.

kililng a god host and releasing an evil god parasite from the darkness between the stars could very easily progress a setting lol

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Torag is very conspicuously missing in Starfinder, which makes him a prime candidate.

I doubt it's Asmodeus - he just fulfills such an important niche of "Evil that plays well with others".

I do think Saranrae or Desna both have fun interesting narrative implications. It won't be Nethys because they're smart enough not to just rip off the spellplague. Erastil is low hanging fruit because he's boring as gently caress and a new nature deity would be a good opportunity to fix that.

Honestly, I keep going back to the idea of Pharasma. I think she kind of is the most interesting option, given the theme of this book is "SUDDENLY IMMORTALITY IS A THING". They have mentioned a bunch of the new archetypes all gain access to immortality in some fun way, and we know these two new classes do as capstones, and the title is literally War of the Immortals.

And if you want to shake up the world, killing off literally the oldest god and the god of Death and the single god that literally every other god at a minimum respects and fears a little sure would do it. It also plays neatly into the whole Age of Lost Omens and Prophecy Doesn't Work theme that they've kind of danced around ever since establishing it as the lore keystone for the new edition.

The more I think about this and type into this box, the more convinced I am that it's her.

Quickly running through the other candidates just to rule them out:

Abadar: Would be boring af tbh. He's fine, but he's also conspicuously just not really a part of any of the big storylines either.
Calistria: Same, but as the opposite of Abadar. She's fine, she's just... not really part of the ongoing story of Golarion in a meaningful way to me. Her and Abadar are both in the same bucket as Erastil basically, but Erastil sucks the most of the three soo...
Cayden: Too much of a mascot to kill off tbh. Also, I just think they're not gonna touch any of the remaining startstone deities (so, Him, Iomedae, Norgorber), because their various stories feel too interesting and unfinished.
Gorum: Who?*
Gozreh: The?*
Irori: gently caress? *
Lamashtu: I honestly just don't think it'll be one of the baddies.
Norgorber: (See Cayden, and also Lamashtu)
Rovagug: Honestly, this could be fun, but I think this is literally a Pathfinder 3E level big deal. He'd need to get out before he could die, and that'd be... A Thing.
Urgathoa: See Lamashtu.

Shelyn and Zon Kuthon: I could see either/both of these being it. Doing a whole setpiece around the siblings finally taking the gloves off and going at each other with one of them dying would be Real Cool and a Big Deal. But I don't think they'd kill Shelyn for reasons, so that leaves Zon, and I just don't see them killing an evil deity for an event like this.

* All three of these are functionally faceless deities in terms of being characters. They are their portfolio, and that's fine, but they're a bad fit for this sort of big lore event as a result.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 1, 2023

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Starfinder is explicitly not a "canon" followup to Pathfinder; stuff that happens there doesn't matter for what can happen in PF2

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Pharasma being killed by a returning Aroden would pop me a lot.

Gozreh seems to be a decent bet as maybe a climate change allusion.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HidaO-Win posted:

Pharasma being killed by a returning Aroden would pop me a lot.

Gozreh seems to be a decent bet as maybe a climate change allusion.

Aroden coming back and being the new focal villain of the setting would own.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Supposedly if there aren't multiple NPCs in the setting that is going on god killing quests we know that it is a follower of Sarenrae who is embarking on the god killing question. And that NPC was killed by Tar Barphon.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Here we go: https://downloads.paizo.com/WarOfImmortalsPlaytest.pdf

The Animist iconic is Finnish I think?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Looks a bit inspired by the Sami to me, people in the very north of Sweden/Norway/Finland.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Rythian posted:

Looks a bit inspired by the Sami to me, people in the very north of Sweden/Norway/Finland.

Right, from the Playtest text, she is one of the semi-nomadic Varki people of Avistan's far north, which are roughly based on the Sami people.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Animist proficiencies - particularly saving throws - feel like hot garbage.

Never going above Expert in any save? (Chanellers get Master in Will, but Sages never do)

And the combat apparition feels like it's not quite doing enough to make that switch hitter fantasy that they talked about work. The main benefit is that your Martial Weapon proficiency increases to match your Simple weapon proficiency - but you still have caster scaling on that simple weapon proficiency (Expert at 11, and that's it). You get a status bonus to patch the gap, but if there's a bard around, it's redundant/useless, and it doesn't actually close the gap - you're still behind by as much as -3 at some levels. And that still doesn't even account for being behind on Str/Dex. A better solution is probably ditch the status bonus, and set the weapon proficiency based on spellcasting proficiency (but keep using Str/Dex, not wisdom mod melee), and maybe increase the penalties/restrictions on casting during that sustain (or maybe not! It's probably fine if they don't!). You'll still be behind the actual martials on attack stat, and even for proficiency for several levels at each tier, but eventually you catch up on the latter, and in general, the dynamic is much more interesting, since you're only running 1-2 points behind rather than 3 or more.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Okay, the Exemplar rules though. Big thaumaturge energy without feeling like a copy thereof. I love the way the class really rewards a push-pull between the various ikons to push the player to cycling between different Cool poo poo, and the mid-high level feat that lets you make a Diplomacy or Intimidation check against a weapon to convince it that it shouldn't be allowed to hurt you, regardless of what it's weilder thinks, absolutely loving owns.