Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I've been denied entry in places in Japan due to being not Japanese, and in China. I know it goes on in Korea as well, even locally in Australia we have Chinese, Japanese and Korean business's that have excluded people outside their races.

This poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There are even Japanese only places in Bangkok. You'd think that would be asking for a fight from rowdy tourists, but apparently everyone just rolls with it.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Coolguye posted:

so i have to go with the cops' reading of it that it's just an alert because the Chinese guy seems to agree that's what it says. he is simply saying that because it's only in chinese, and there isn't a similar posting in Japanese/Korean/Thai as well, it's exclusionary.

The sign is in Japanese. It starts with "Dear Chinese people” and goes on to say they source food from Fukushima

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The sign is in Japanese. It starts with "Dear Chinese people” and goes on to say they source food from Fukushima

"Try our Fukushima Daichi Cerenkov eel sauce! Glow in the dark goo never tasted so good!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

ah, gotcha, my bad. i wasn't really paying attention to the backdrop and tried to infer from context.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Coolguye posted:

ah, gotcha, my bad. i wasn't really paying attention to the backdrop and tried to infer from context.

I blanked everything out but that guy's hair too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Goku has the right to run a restaurant if he wants

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/AmbassadeChine/status/1696862701517984185

noted defenders of regional languages as opposed to hegemony of the capital dialect, the French

what is with the Chinese embassy in France

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ronya posted:

noted defenders of regional languages as opposed to hegemony of the capital dialect, the French

It turns out that being given free reign to just make poo poo up means you will whenever it suits you.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I don't think admitting you stole and subjugated a country comparably to what colonial america did is as good a look as they think it is

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't think admitting you stole and subjugated a country comparably to what colonial america did is as good a look as they think it is

“We’re better than literal genocidaire Andrew Jackson” is a hell of a low bar to set for yourself, and then to run head-first into rather than clear.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I posted in the (understandably) dead China travel thread as well, but I'm going to be in Beijing in a couple weeks for the first time since 2019. Is anyone in this thread in China now? Is there any post-covid cultural stuff to be aware of? Did most of the businesses survive the lockdowns?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ronya posted:

Sharing an English language meme on the France embassy account is also touché :discourse:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They seem to genuinely think "you genocided your native peoples so you can't criticize us for genociding ours" is an airtight argument.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

~snip snip~ but it does mean that the video poster is a whiny baby causing trouble first and foremost.

I suspect that if China had not been salty binches about fukushima in the first place, etc etc etc, its an orobouros of poo poo eating stupidity.
That being said, SEA's rascism is always weirdly nuanced.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ronya posted:

China: 96% of ethnic Tibetans can speak Tibetan. But we're working on it!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also kinda wish they didn't use becquerels, because 143 trillion sounds really scary, what a huge number! But a becquerel is a single atom decay so that 143 trillion is like, five grams of tritium. Which you shouldn't drink five grams of tritium but it's not a big deal in, you know, the ocean which has a natural occurrence of about 29 kg of tritium per year, on top of all the other natural radioactive material floating around in it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The signs were certainly out in force when I was in Seoul. A lot less actual protestors than I expected, given the media and social media blitz around the issue so I kinda wonder how much is astroturfing by certain monied vocal parties vs. the usual casual potshots at Japan.

Even in the Korean language sources that bothered to get into the details it was pretty clear it wasn't going to be particularly dangerous.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

I was worried about the Uyghurs and Tibetans but then I saw that they are allowed to perform their ethnic dances. All is well

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Seafood is massively overrated across the board anyways, real men eat nothing but fried chicken and steaks, don't @ me

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Toxic Mental posted:

Seafood is massively overrated across the board anyways, real men eat nothing but fried chicken and steaks, don't @ me

I love fried chicken and steaks as much as the next red-blooded American but seafood is drat good and I’ll not hear a word against it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
listen

a lot of everything about the prc is legitimately awful, but dont talk smack about the food taste

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

How is the yellow river doing in radioactive pollution?

I'm just wondering because I like the yellow river, I go hang out at it a lot. It's just a really cool place to be, I found an abandoned boat just beached on it you can hang out in that's great and I like how the beach on a lot of it is that kind of clay that sucks your foot into it so you gotta walk all weird

But it's a crazy polluted river, and this whole thing has me wondering what kind of pollution, and if any of it is radioactive. I would think people would be worried more about that because even though the yellow rivers big it's no ocean.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

listen

a lot of everything about the prc is legitimately awful, but dont talk smack about the food taste

It's not all great, most things with meat floss are bad especially when you want sushi and thee ruin it with hyper-sweetened meat floss. I don't really get the concept, when you sweeten it so much that that's the only thing you can taste, why even have the meat? What's it even doing? If you want candy just eat candy.

But it's a rare miss

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 2, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrainDance posted:

How is the yellow river doing in radioactive pollution?

I'm sure the regular pollution is a billion times more awful than any radioactive contamination.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

I posted in the (understandably) dead China travel thread as well, but I'm going to be in Beijing in a couple weeks for the first time since 2019. Is anyone in this thread in China now? Is there any post-covid cultural stuff to be aware of? Did most of the businesses survive the lockdowns?

健康嗎 健康嗎

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My Chinese neighbor (we live in Bangkok) told me I was very lucky to be American because when we're poor the government just takes care of us.

I laughed pretty loving hard.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Atlas Hugged posted:

My Chinese neighbor (we live in Bangkok) told me I was very lucky to be American because when we're poor the government just takes care of us.

I laughed pretty loving hard.

i had something similar said to me when i was in shenzen last (so, like 5-6 years ago at this point) by a local business partner who wasn't sure how an electronics deal was going to work out. when i laughed at him, he actively got mad at me because i "don't understand how much of a death sentence being poor is in China"

i mean you're right, i don't, but it's not like it's roses and cream in the USA, man, it's more like a drawn out death sentence where they slowly torture you to death with bureaucratic paper cuts and disdain for your very existence. but i guess it might be worse in china. if you really want it that way.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mons Hubris posted:

Covid is over (haven't you heard?). You might see people on the subway wearing a mask, about 5% of the people in my large international school will be wearing one at any given time. There is no tracking or mask enforcement, it's up to you to choose to isolate if you test positive, etc. etc. Some businesses closed, but things seem to be bouncing back, more or less.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
An interesting development:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1697740882307330306

(compare, a decade ago:)

https://twitter.com/business/status/299714483729870848

There was some rumbling about this news for a while, but until recently it seemed like the golf course would wriggle through.

For those not familiar: to be clear, there's no nationalization as such going on in either city; the golf courses all sit on short lease land so the question of renewal eventually comes up. The case is more a test of the sway that old money and conservationists have on policy formation.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 2, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its also a factor of golf dying out as a hobby

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I have an inkling that Shanghai will keep its suburban links for a while yet, still.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol, lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It’s hard to feel bad about there being less golf in the world but it’s not like they’re planting any trees back.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

:hmmyes: The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been.

Would be a pretty lame period in Chinese history if the Mao Dynasty didn't even make it to 100 years :sad:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah theres a lotta proclaimed dynasties that dont last any time, the historians just erase em from the non obscure books and move on

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And lame dynasties that are part of the Official Dynasty lineage, like the Sui.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

ronya posted:

An interesting development:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1697740882307330306

(compare, a decade ago:)

https://twitter.com/business/status/299714483729870848

There was some rumbling about this news for a while, but until recently it seemed like the golf course would wriggle through.

For those not familiar: to be clear, there's no nationalization as such going on in either city; the golf courses all sit on short lease land so the question of renewal eventually comes up. The case is more a test of the sway that old money and conservationists have on policy formation.

It’s not just golf course land though, there’s also some dilapidated seniors center which will get torn down. But the Royal Hong Kong Golf Club (yes royal because the crest is still inside the buildings but hidden) pays a symbolic $1 HKD per year.

Golf is the easy target because it’s a former colonial institution and the government doesn’t want to go after sketchy brownfield sites occupied by villager squatters.

But there’s another 9 hole golf course in the south HK island so the sport can still be around

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So glad someone is sticking it to the Old Elite, the new one is so much better. One Elite, One System you might say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
George Carlin was a wumao and he didn’t even know it!