Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

The real Leonidas would probably have hated the movie. His goal wasn't to die a glorious death but to win the battle.

Hey now, he might well be all 'That wasn't historically accurate, but it was fuckin' awesome.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"I was played by a Scotsman? What the gently caress?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is apparently that possibly accidentally goes with an old tradition of British portrayals of Greek plays, where the Spartans often have Scottish accents to contrast the Athenians sounding English. And hey, it's no weirder than the rest of the Spartans being American or English. Probably the equivalent would have the Spartans be say, Texan, playing up the 'backwood militant hick' stereotype.

Apparently Alexander played into this further, where since the title role was played by an Irish actor, they had all the Macedonians also be Irish, while the Greeks are British, and the army overall has a variety of accents to represent how it's a diverse army made up of people from many different places and cultures.

There's been works that mix it up, I'm always reminded how thrown I was where the remake of Spyro 3 has the obvious Roman-equivalents in one of the first worlds actually speak with Italian accents, the first time I've ever seen that. There's a few works that actually give Romans clearly American accents, them representing the dominant empire and military superpower of the time.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 31, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah it really worked in Alexander. Also in Death of Stalin where all the different Brit accents vaguely reflect the regional differences in the USSR, with Stalin being a country bumpkin (since he was Georgian)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Are you sad that Riverdale ended? Netflix has got you covered with a new Archie movie

Archie Comics X Bollywood is not a thing I would have expected to exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

smackfu posted:

Archie Comics X Bollywood is not a thing I would have expected to exist.

And yet I feel like it works. That said, Archie is a whore for crossovers nowadays.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it really worked in Alexander. Also in Death of Stalin where all the different Brit accents vaguely reflect the regional differences in the USSR, with Stalin being a country bumpkin (since he was Georgian)

Stalin had a cockney accent in the Death of Stalin. Working class sure but not countryside.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a lovely king posted:

Stalin had a cockney accent in the Death of Stalin. Working class sure but not countryside.

Fair enough, thanks for the correction, I only watched it in the theatre so didn't remember all the detail, just general vibe.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Obligatory Game of Thrones where they really went with «oi this is Britain» with the northeners all speaking all Yorkshire-like, the posh people from the southeast very RP, and of course the dirty hordes over the ocean to the southeast are «foreign»

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The dothraki should have had french accents to be more realistic

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it really worked in Alexander.

It really doesn't. Especially not when it comes to Angelina Jolie who sounds like she was pranked by her accent coach.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

davidspackage posted:

"I was played by a Scotsman? What the gently caress?"

What the gently caress is Scotland

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

jisforjosh posted:

What the gently caress is Scotland

"Why have these pictures come to life?"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Are you sad that Riverdale ended? Netflix has got you covered with a new Archie movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN71kSL7uEM

idk, looks fun.
i thought the same of Riverdale though.
and i was right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

The TV shows Rome and Spartacus had cool approaches too, with people from outside Rome more likely to have Australian and Kiwi accents, while the middle class have English/Scottish accents, and the upper class Romans have BBC trained actor accents.

Alhazred posted:

It really doesn't. Especially not when it comes to Angelina Jolie who sounds like she was pranked by her accent coach.

Alexander is such a glorious mess. There's bits and pieces in there from an absolutely amazing film (the two battle scenes, the scene with Phillip and Alexander in the tomb, the descent into madness in the mountains) but it absolutely does not come together at all. Fittingly, it came out two years after Gangs of New York, which is also full of amazing scenes but never quite gels. Gangs is a far better mess, though.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Cacator posted:

"Why have these pictures come to life?"

what the gently caress is a picture

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hirez posted:

what the gently caress is a picture

"Ah, like a vase but flat. I see."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

The TV shows Rome and Spartacus had cool approaches too, with people from outside Rome more likely to have Australian and Kiwi accents, while the middle class have English/Scottish accents, and the upper class Romans have BBC trained actor accents.

i haven't seen the show but are you sure that this isn't a function of the budget?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

i haven't seen the show but are you sure that this isn't a function of the budget?

yes. One of the minor villains was on a new zealand soap opera (it was bloody weird to see him as something other than a sadistic slave raping noble) and he completely dropped the new zealand accent for his time on Spartacus and found it again for Shortland St.

Spartacus is really good. It's a very smart show doing a superb impression of a very dumb show. It absolutely rules.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I love Rome in spite of its flaws, which are pretty much all due to pacing from the 2nd season being the last.

Now Spartacus…Years ago I fell asleep in a chair and woke up. The first thing I see when I open my eyes is some guys peeing on John Hannah’s face. I groggily ask my brother what the gently caress is going on and he tells me its Spartacus. For all I know that’s what the show is about.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

"Ah, like a vase but flat. I see."

"I prefer the one with the warrior owls."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember the first or second episode having Lucy Lawless and her husband having a serious conversation while they're each getting handjobs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

yes. One of the minor villains was on a new zealand soap opera (it was bloody weird to see him as something other than a sadistic slave raping noble) and he completely dropped the new zealand accent for his time on Spartacus and found it again for Shortland St.

Spartacus is really good. It's a very smart show doing a superb impression of a very dumb show. It absolutely rules.

AU/NZ actors showing up means I’m intrigued at the possibility of say, Toadfish Rebecci showing up in this show …

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Spartacus was a great show. The dialogue often reminded me of Deadwood’s spectacular profanity, there’s a lot of plotting and backstabbing going on, and the action is as good as any I’ve seen on a tv budget. It definitely feels like a weak 300 imitator at the start but it gets so good.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rome was great and was stabbed in the back with its cancellation. I should rewatch it! I found Spartacus to be a Great Value version riding in on 300 momentum.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Spartacus was absolutely brought into production to capitalize on 300's success, but it's pretty awesome in and of itself. Hell, even if you buy into the idea that 300 is satire -- an intriguing notion, but one I can't see -- it's nice to have a straightforwardly uncomplicated presentation of victims rising up against their persecutors. So that, at the very least, distinguishes the two from one another and justifies Spartacus's existence, in my mind at least.

Helps that it has, as said above, strong action and unrestrained pulp sensibilities. Plus it's great to find a television show that's just so enthusiastically in love with its production, something Hercules, Evil Dead, and the Renaissance Pictures lot generally share.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

Alexander is such a glorious mess. There's bits and pieces in there from an absolutely amazing film (the two battle scenes, the scene with Phillip and Alexander in the tomb, the descent into madness in the mountains) but it absolutely does not come together at all. Fittingly, it came out two years after Gangs of New York, which is also full of amazing scenes but never quite gels. Gangs is a far better mess, though.

Never watched Alexander but I just watched the Elephant 6 documentary at a showing here in NYC and Lance Bangs, who is a producer, was part of a Q and A. And he mentioned that the Doors movie sucked bc Oliver Stone isn't a psychedelic "guy", but an absolute coke one.

Gave a little context on why is his movies are so haphazard and generally chaotic and unfulfilling

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Snowman_McK posted:

Are you talking about the guy the spartacus
thread so maturely named as rape face?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Professor Shark posted:

Rome was great and was stabbed in the back with its cancellation. I should rewatch it! I found Spartacus to be a Great Value version riding in on 300 momentum.
I love that later on they wanted to cast James Purefoy in some Game of Thrones part and he told them to gently caress right off.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Good for him- he acted his heart out in that series and even did well with the accelerated ending timeline. Golden Age HBO was so good, but they did seem to not let their shows breath sometimes.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

NorgLyle posted:

I love that later on they wanted to cast James Purefoy in some Game of Thrones part and he told them to gently caress right off.

This made me find out the Pennyworth tv series about Batman's butler is suddenly is now a V for Vendetta prequel series

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

This made me find out the Pennyworth tv series about Batman's butler is suddenly is now a V for Vendetta prequel series

Lol what

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I need to know more about this

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FlamingLiberal posted:

I need to know more about this

:same:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Shageletic posted:

I hate that I know who you are talking about but Jesus that guy's face is literally what I pictured roman nobility to look like

Also wtf about that pennyworth series. Isn't it already on? How is it v for vendetta?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I have not watched the show at all but from what I can gather via incomplete wikipedia summaries is at some point between season 2 and 3, there is a civil war in England, the US and Russia have a brief war that gets Miami and Kyiv nuked, the Waynes have a daughter, and a guy in a Guy Faulkes mask shows up a few episodes giving people mind control drugs. That character is supposed to be an ancestor of the V from V for Vendetta, while Pennyworth is somehow still a prequel to Gotham (did Gotham ever mention a nuclear war???)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Can't imagine what you could be referring to.

I didn't use one of him smiling because we're all friends here.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I have not watched the show at all but from what I can gather via incomplete wikipedia summaries is at some point between season 2 and 3, there is a civil war in England, the US and Russia have a brief war that gets Miami and Kyiv nuked, the Waynes have a daughter, and a guy in a Guy Faulkes mask shows up a few episodes giving people mind control drugs. That character is supposed to be an ancestor of the V from V for Vendetta, while Pennyworth is somehow still a prequel to Gotham (did Gotham ever mention a nuclear war???)

What the gently caress.

Professor Shark posted:

Good for him- he acted his heart out in that series and even did well with the accelerated ending timeline. Golden Age HBO was so good, but they did seem to not let their shows breath sometimes.

That was apparently a BBC thing. It was a co-production and the BBC got cold feet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean the originally idea behind doing a prequel series based around batman's butler is so stupid may as well go wild and ave some fun with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Professor Shark posted:

I was seriously stunned when it was cancelled, but at least someone got a nice insurance payout since the massive set they made suddenly burned down not long after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I feel like the more awesome you make alfred the more lame he feels in batman