Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Skyrim hasn't crawled to that. It has been there for a while but the entire jenga tower is built off arthmoor's closed source black box "fixes" mod. With starfield nexus stepped in to never allow that poo poo to happen in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

docbeard posted:

I'm mostly of the opinion that Arthmoor's mods aren't great but they mostly aren't horrible and I will never ever ever have to interact with the guy directly so ultimately who cares, but that's a very solid team working on the Starfield community patch and I expect good things (and also some fun drama).

Arthmoor also hated if you patched his mods the wrong way - see GateGate.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Arthmoor hated if you used Mod Organizer. It was raw files in data or you're doing things wrong.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh, I'm aware, and he also hates it if you extract BSAs.

His hatred doesn't really affect me one way or the other though (which he hates).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what is parlor style

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Parlor: My mod is my mod and you need permission to do anything with it.

Cathedral: My mod is our mod and you can take the bits to use in your mod if you want.

I think that's the broad distinction.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tankbuster posted:

Skyrim hasn't crawled to that. It has been there for a while but the entire jenga tower is built off arthmoor's closed source black box "fixes" mod. With starfield nexus stepped in to never allow that poo poo to happen in the first place.

Right, but the ultimate point is eventually arthmoor types get excised from communities because he sucks and I'm glad his contributions to Starfield, whatever they may be, will have justified skepticism.
There is no place for scrubs like him and glad that more people see it the same way.

VostokProgram posted:

what is parlor style

It's in the name. Parlor is a bunch of people making little separate parlors with their own rules. Cathedral is everyone building a single giant magnificent cathedral with the shared idea of everyone contributes to the greater good. Since how games are played is you have a single game at any one time modding any game is always better than cathedral since the gameplay experience you have is a single, grand, intoxicating innocence experience.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 31, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I got a deal on the Anniversary Edition so I got all the Creation Club poo poo and my modlist seems to have integrated things well enough.

Those pets are still not really worth much but you can't stop me from pretending that they make my adopted daughter happy.
What little girl don't want an entire menagerie of fuzzy friends. Spiders included.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The fox pet is surprisingly useful. You can tell it to find valuables nearby, so if a gold and diamond ring fell off a table due to physics and you can’t see it, the fox will nab it for you.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The spider keeps producing venom so she's useful to any build that's not focused on alchemy, I never managed to find a situation were I'd actually use her web trap ability though.

All the rest would only be marginally useful at best.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Called what? The only mod i can think of called Cathedral is I think there's an ENB preset called Cathedral Lighting or Cathedral Weathers or something?

The "Cathedral" mods are basically community mods. You can see all the pieces of mods that go into them in a list.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KakerMix posted:

Right, but the ultimate point is eventually arthmoor types get excised from communities because he sucks and I'm glad his contributions to Starfield, whatever they may be, will have justified skepticism.

Arthmoor went into self-imposed exile because nexus took his toys away (his own idea of patches)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

The "Cathedral" mods are basically community mods. You can see all the pieces of mods that go into them in a list.

That’s neat

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

KakerMix posted:

TLDR: Made a .zip file one time and called it 'Technic Pack' for Minecraft and rode that into a very lucrative career for my friends and I all because we told would-be arthmoors that end-users are more important than they are.

Thanks for that. I can still remember just how loving awesome that poo poo was at the time. Hats off to you Goon Sire :biglips:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I recently returned to Skyrim, and installed Wabbajack / The Phoenix Flavour, which was decent but too close to the original so I'm looking for goon recommendations. My requirements are:

1) Has Legacy of the Dragonborn
2) Not so graphic-demanding
3) Not too hard
4) No survival mods.

I looked at reddit but I could only find Licentia so far, which is NSFW. I don't mind it if there's no other choice, but is there anything else I should check first?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mod by hand! :okboomer:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eeepies posted:

I recently returned to Skyrim, and installed Wabbajack / The Phoenix Flavour, which was decent but too close to the original so I'm looking for goon recommendations. My requirements are:

3) Not too hard
4) No survival mods.

I looked at reddit but I could only find Licentia so far, which is NSFW. I don't mind it if there's no other choice, but is there anything else I should check first?

https://github.com/Lost-Outpost/sovngarde

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hey that's the one I use since it was adapted for GOG.
It rebalances most things well but you do get some early quest rewards that have been now nerfed to vendor trash.
And the difficulty ramps up considerably after 10th level or so.

Also it expends the world to fit the plot, i.e. you'll see plenty of refugees around because the empire is crumbling.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Thank you! I'll bookmark this for now.

The last time I tried this I spent so long making the modlist I was too tired to play the game by the time it was done...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Eeepies posted:

3) Not too hard
4) No survival mods.

you can completely ignore the NSFW stuff in licentia though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eeepies posted:

Thank you! I'll bookmark this for now.

The last time I tried this I spent so long making the modlist I was too tired to play the game by the time it was done...

That's the secret: you're never done.

I actually just got my setup updated. I've been running a roughly similar set of mods for like a decade at this point. Like a third of them are weird bespoke little conversions of obscure Oldrim mods.

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
Are there any good mod guides for oblivion?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Being real, for all the incredibly cool mods that have come about since I last really looked into modding Skyrim, I think I love the ability to actually have fuzzy horses best.

:allears:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/99548

Doodlum and co's next big thing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well don't leave us hanging, post the link to the horsies.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

By popular demand posted:

Well don't leave us hanging, post the link to the horsies.

Whoops, sorry, it's Fluffworks with the Immersive Horses patch.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

what is parlor style
You already got the TLDR, but for where the original terminology came from
https://wryemusings.com/Cathedral%20vs.%20Parlor.html

20 years ago in the Morrowind days from the original author of Wyre Bash (which apparently is still maintained by the community though superior tooling [MO2, xEdit, etc] now does it better)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 2, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wrye bash excels at making dummy esps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think every serious modding guide for Morrowind recommends using wyrebash for certain things, even if you're using mod organizer an xedit for a lot of other things wyrebash does.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Well mainly coming from the perspective of Skyrim. I don't think there's anything Skyrim needs from Bash.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wrye Bash is brilliant. It's only recently with Synthesis patches and Gator Smash we're back to having the controlled plugin merge functionality bashed patches gave us years ago. It's a pity that bash wasn't really maintained as new fields were added in the post-Oblivion games.

As a package manager, MO is better technically because it keeps packages separate and creates a merged, virtual Data folder at launch. Wrye Bash maintained an actual Data folder so it was much slower if you, say, deleted a mod that had overrides and itself overrode other mods - it was forced to reinstall those other mods to account for the files disappearing in the middle so to speak. But in terms of actual package management functionally, it was brilliant - just lacked the cool virtual filesystem stuff in MO.

I miss its dense but readable UI, which is so well designed.

It's just a brilliantly written program all around. But no longer relevant, of course, though still useful for FNV of you want to merge via bash tags.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I always assumed Wrye picked up the name from the Cathedral and Bazaar paper for open source, which amongst other things talks about how many contributors are better than one when it comes to code: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 2, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was about to take SkyClimb out of my load order because it kept getting me super stuck, to where I couldn't even TCL out of it, but it turned out that I hosed up setting up Nemesis. SkyClimb owns.

Also, powerofthree(?) made a magic-sneak-attack SKSE plug in and I love it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i felt the hankering for a crazy modded skryim playthrough after playing a bit of starfield so I installed Tempus Maledictum and man I forgot how fun LotD + the full Enairim suite of mods is.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah memes aside wabbajack is a godsend to quickly get back into the game.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good wabbajack collections for VR? Just something that gets all the various see-your-own-body weapons-have-presence etc modifications going with some UI improvements to get a good baseline going with minimum fuss?

Also, assuming there is, can you add mods on top of a wabbajack install? Or is it a one and done sort of deal?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don’t know about VR lists, but you can add your own mods to a wabbajack install. The product is the same as if you’d done it yourself, it just automatically sets up everything for you. (Or almost everything, sometimes you have to configure some in-game stuff yourself.)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Are there any good wabbajack collections for VR? Just something that gets all the various see-your-own-body weapons-have-presence etc modifications going with some UI improvements to get a good baseline going with minimum fuss?

Also, assuming there is, can you add mods on top of a wabbajack install? Or is it a one and done sort of deal?

There are a few, all from what I've seen very technically impressive but with often differing design philosophies. Here's a post I made about my experience in the VR thread, though it's six months old by now and the situation may have changed:

Bremen posted:

I've been trying this with Wabbajack modlists.

Tried Yggdrasil, everything was so different I had no idea what I was doing. It seems to work fine and might be a totally awesome modpack, and I might come back to it for a second playthrough, but I don't want to be learning VR Skyrim, relearning Skyrim after (checks) 11 years, *and* learning what basically amounts to a massive gamewide overhaul at the same time. Also it's super hard and seems balanced around the idea of IRL combat dodging.

Next, I tried FUS. It's a somewhat more limited (but still very large) overhaul where you get to pick and choose what to add (beyond a lot of VR overhaul stuff like hand physics). Took some work to get it working, and even afterwards I'm having the occasional crash (not frequent enough I can't play, but annoying) but... it's a lot of fun. I'm not using the more intensive VR stuff like combat dodging or weapon throwing, but it still includes a lot of tweaks by long time Skyrim VR players to improve the VR experience, and of course your usual Skyrim mods like unofficial patches, more spells, etc.

I later seemed to solve the crash issue with the recommended page file changes.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Adding mods to a Wabbajack list is exactly like adding mods to your own custom setup, for good and ill. If you're comfortable with finding and fixing conflicts with xEdit and MO2, configuring and running Synthesis, Dyndolod, bash, etc, and all of that stuff, then customizing a Wabbajack list is no big deal. If you're not, you're probably going to break things, and usually the list Discord won't help you much to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy i forgot how many perk trees there were in enairaim/ordinator, my god, how does one decide. I'll probably just be a wizard