Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Controversial opinion but I like stellaris actually

Same! But they keep releasing DLC quicker than I can enjoy the last one. There's so much DLC. Great game tho, super neat how things just happen :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

syntaxfunction posted:

Starfield was never going to give me what I really wanted, to finish the main story, pause, reflect and go "how did they make it loss.jpg?"

But anyway, metacritic and all that poo poo have it as an 85/100 average, but honestly I was expecting more like a 7/10 average because that's what Bethesda games are. And that's fine.

I'd rather play a Bethesda 7/10 than some horrible anime game with a boobly breasted 7 year old who is actually a 9000 year old dragon but the game got a 9.5/10 ya know?

No one will play Starfield because of review numbers. You play Starfield because gimme that Bethesda shlop oh nummy nummy put it in my mouth oh yes that Bethesda brand gruel you can't get anywhere else. Other gruel may be better, but this is the one I like!

Good thing I can just play xcom, roller coaster tycoon, or advance wars instead of either of those then.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

I'm genuinely sorry.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also super mario galaxy is a pretty good space game

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
There are a ton of games out there that people herald as all time greats, but with the caveat that they're only good once you've installed 100 mods to fix all the awful poo poo in them. Like STALKER, Morrowind, and VTM: Bloodlines. Maybe the fact that the games are all weird, obtuse, and buggy to the point where you can't enjoy them that much in their unwashed form means they aren't that great?

(I do like Bloodlines tho)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

deep dish peat moss posted:

According to steamspy estimates right now Trine 5 and Starfield have sold roughly the same number of copies today

It's on gamepass

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Stellaris is good until you've expanded into all the territory you can and seen all of the events available to you, and then things just stop happening it become hours upon hours of plate spinning resource management until the end game event occurs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emSparkly posted:

There are a ton of games out there that people herald as all time greats, but with the caveat that they're only good once you've installed 100 mods to fix all the awful poo poo in them. Like STALKER, Morrowind, and VTM: Bloodlines. Maybe the fact that the games are all weird, obtuse, and buggy to the point where you can't enjoy them that much in their unwashed form means they aren't that great?

(I do like Bloodlines tho)

VtM Bloodlines has never needed mods to be good, like its baseline without mods is still an all time great

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Morrowind didn't need mods to be good either

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

FoolyCharged posted:

Good thing I can just play xcom, roller coaster tycoon, or advance wars instead of either of those then.

said it before, saying it again, more games need TILES

edit: maybe the tiles even have cards involved?

Pokemon should have never left tileland

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I know a man who beat Morrowind thrice, on Xbox.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

big black turnout posted:

Morrowind didn't need mods to be good either

drat right!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I still love Outer Wilds.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

imo the emergent narrative is significantly weaker since their major overhaul of leaders. now you just have a small handful of leaders who slowly accumulate negative traits, and then they die, and now you're screwed because your hiring limit is too low to train new leaders so you're stuck with these awful starter hires with no bonuses running your empire and the process begins anew.

they also took out a bunch of traits, and psionic expertise, so materialists can't get psionics anymore unless you abuse the pathways to acquire a psionic pop. but that's way more boring than the idea of your lethargic, maniacal genius scientist sitting around one way and suddenly figuring it all out. and then developing Paranoid 50 years later

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I played through STALKER without mods and it was fine. The realism overhaul mod or whatever did make the second playthrough a lot better though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

VtM Bloodlines has never needed mods to be good, like its baseline without mods is still an all time great

isn't the pc version just extremely buggy though
i thought the mods existed to fix things like random crashes / hardlocks in mandatory story quests

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Played VtM a few years back without any mods, never noticed anything amiss.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

There’s an Outer Wilds and an Outer Worlds and I’ll never remember which one is which.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah i played it recently and it blew me away.

The dlc loving sucked though

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah i played it recently and it blew me away.

The dlc loving sucked though

Yeah, the DLC was probably the biggest letdown I've ever had compared to a base game. You know what would really expand the experience of this amazing exploration-based game? Mandatory stealth sections where being caught means a multiple minute runback!

E: If the Outer be Wilds
you’re doing just fine
If the Outer be Worlds
Oh, buddy. Ooooof.

Paper Tiger fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 1, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Alexander Hamilton posted:

There’s an Outer Wilds and an Outer Worlds and I’ll never remember which one is which.

Wilds is the good one. Worlds is the fake Bethesda game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Alexander Hamilton posted:

it's wild how good outer wilds is

outer worlds is the game where where you really quickly run 'outa worlds' to explore

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its crazy how boring and bad Starfield looks. I just know that if I play it, I'm gonna check out by hour 5 and not go back in. It looks like the complete opposite of Outer Wilds, like they made a space game on the entire other end of the video game spectrum.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Paper Tiger posted:

E: If the Outer be Wilds
you’re doing just fine
If the Outer be Worlds
Oh, buddy. Ooooof.

I never got the Outer Worlds hate. The planets don't have huge maps, but it felt like there was plenty to do between the main quest and side quests. I liked the art and writing, and the gradual realization that, even beyond the wretched capitalist hellscape created by colonial leadership, there was something even worse happening back on Earth.

And the DLC was pretty cool.

Would have been nice to actually fly your own ship, but the rest was pretty good.

It just wasn't New Vegas 2, and that's what people went into it expecting.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
imo there are so many good games out there, especially this year, I don't know how lads find the time to play something mediocre

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know what I was expecting with Outer Worlds but playing it felt so overpoweringly bland, despite the zany style, that it made me question the entire genre of game. Like if there was something about it I though was particularly bad besides the rote predictability it would have been better. It made me realize that striped to its core with no surprises I just don't like that type of game.

I'm probably not going to play that new space game even though I think I can play it for free on XBox PC thingy unless I hear it does something unexpected or interesting with the gameplay or narrative.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Arc Light posted:

I never got the Outer Worlds hate. The planets don't have huge maps, but it felt like there was plenty to do between the main quest and side quests. I liked the art and writing, and the gradual realization that, even beyond the wretched capitalist hellscape created by colonial leadership, there was something even worse happening back on Earth.

Would have been nice to actually fly your own ship, but the rest was pretty good.

The issue that I had with it is that the smallest amount of going off the beaten path got me immediately overpowered, making the gameplay between story beats an absolute slog.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Arc Light posted:

It wasn't abysmal, just extremely forgettable. Its biggest sin was choosing a title and release date that took focus off of one of the greatest indie games ever made.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 1, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I could see someone liking Outer Wilds but that game isn't for me. Maybe I'll watch somebody else play at some point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VtM works alright without mods, but it feels threadbare after having used the community patches since they cut so much stuff out of the final game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gaius Marius posted:

I know a man who beat Morrowind thrice, on Xbox.

Ha what a loser. He didn’t beat it a fourth time on Xbox like I did. That’s when you unlock the real neat stuff (seriously it wasn’t till my fourth Xbox character I learned Hla Oad has an entire underground section with multiple shops and a drug mule quest and an underwater treasure stash.)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I don't know, Starfield loooooks preeeeety gooooood~

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bounced off of Act 3 in BG3 and hadn't played in a week but I keep hearing how the House of Hope boss fight is the highlight of the whole game and it's so amazing and etc. etc. so I decided to soldier forward and do it, and that was one of the most disappointing things I've ever experienced in a videogame. The fight itself is boring as hell and people only like it because the enemy sings a cringey two-stanza Disney Musical song when the fight starts. And you have to deal with incredibly annoying NPCs to get there in the first place.

The lyrics read like those threads where goons try to write rap songs but they don't understand meter:

=Hell, Hell, Hell has its laws
Hell, Hell, effects and the cause
Curtain falls, but hold your applause
Squirm, squirm, for now down here come the claws

Fools, fools, how hard you have fought
Brave, brave, but it's all been for naught
True Souls that couldn't be bought
Doomed, detected, and caught

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 1, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

I think it needs that fix patch but then you're golden

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

VTM is especially good if you liberally use noclip to skip dungeons that suck. Like I remember a sewer level that was just a barren maze, definitely skip that poo poo.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Beartaco posted:

Stellaris is good until you've expanded into all the territory you can and seen all of the events available to you, and then things just stop happening it become hours upon hours of plate spinning resource management until the end game event occurs.

Stellaris is very bad. Got very excited to play it when it was free on ps+ whatever a while back and I was having fun up until the exact point you mention and the veneer fell away completely and I never played it again. Very disappointing.

Civ6 still reigns supreme as the best 4x game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Civ6 might still be the best, but only when taking the product as a whole. There's been a ton of cool 4X entries over the years (The Endless series in particular are my favorite) who are poking holes in various parts of Firaxis's product, and hopefully the next wave of 4X's will assemble some of the better mechanics together.

...Not the current wave tho, they all went the Paradox grand-narrative-strategy route and all flopped for it. Deservedly.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Alpha Centauri is the best 4X game you absolute noobs

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

I'm Crap posted:

Master of Orion 2 is the best 4X game you absolute noob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Alpha Centauri was the best 4x game. Haven't played it in ages but i suspect it's a bit clunky these days.