Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

susan b buffering posted:

you might want to data center travel to aether for rival wings. i've gotten matches within a couple minutes the few times i've tried since the event started.

thanks for the tip, I think I would enjoy Rival Wings the most of the PVP stuff because when I see lanes and creeps I get a goofy rear end grin lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Maxwell Lord posted:

PVP is a thing you do for mogtomes and catbook (you haven't found catbook yet, but it's a thing) and you run it, accept that you have no real control over what is going on, get the tomes/stamp and move on.

TLD hasn’t done HW yet so no catbook.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

That Little Demon posted:

honestly got wrapped up doing PVP for mogtomes for my stupid collector brain. The PVP is this game is... well, lol. Not very good? Honestly the most interesting thing is Rival Wings which I found 1 match in 3 hours (I am a DOTA fan).

Frontline is a big mess but I like CC. It's a 5v5 tug of war mode. Also grats, you're pretty much at the point where the story stops focusing on worldbuilding and starts moving pieces around and making interesting stuff happen for the rest of the game.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

namechat is yet another example of why Viera are the best because you can in canon name your character whatever bullshit

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

HerraS posted:

namechat is yet another example of why Viera are the best because you can in canon name your character whatever bullshit

Shame lady viera have the worst starting outfit by far.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Rival Wings is also more of a holiday special than anything consistently run. During tome events you'll probably see it, and there are outside communities that schedule nights now and then, but if you just queue on a whim you'll be waiting a while.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What do I do with the uncapped tomestones? 620 gear is useless when Aetherfont drops 625 and the 630 upgrades require a run of both 24mans per piece. Relics I guess?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

susan b buffering posted:

you might want to data center travel to aether for rival wings. i've gotten matches within a couple minutes the few times i've tried since the event started.
From what I've gathered between posts in the main XIV thread and a few Discord servers I'm on, Rival Wings games on Aether and Crystal run for the first week or so of mogtome events and then die down. On Primal, the RW games keep going for the whole mogtome event; one of the announcements on the PvPrimal server yesterday is that games have been going for 86 hours straight on Primal so far.

This is the schedule posted on PvP Revival for getting games going on Aether & Crystal once the all day queues stop:

Mr. Neutron posted:

What do I do with the uncapped tomestones? 620 gear is useless when Aetherfont drops 625 and the 630 upgrades require a run of both 24mans per piece. Relics I guess?
Relics or buying the crafting materials to sell and/or use. The one used to make potions should always sell pretty quickly since people always need potions for harder content.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mr. Neutron posted:

There are unique crafting ingredients only available through buying with uncapped tomestones and they sell for a lot. Maybe a bit less now we're late in the patch but a full 2000 tomes should still net you a couple hundred thousand gil on most servers.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mainwaring posted:

There are unique crafting ingredients only available through buying with uncapped tomestones and they sell for a lot. Maybe a bit less now we're late in the patch but a full 2000 tomes should still net you a couple hundred thousand gil on most servers.

The ingredient market is surprisingly strong as most people burn them on relics, so there's less supply than you'd think.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Pvp becomes infinitely more bearable when you find a class you enjoy. I really like SMN/MCH in pvp and find I can usually do a decent job of building battle high. If you give up on the idea of having any kind of impact on winning and just enjoy killing peeps and building BH, frontlines becomes somewhat tolerable!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Mr. Neutron posted:

You can also buy gear to turn in for GC seals which can be used for a ton of stuff. They have essentially loot boxes for Stormblood mounts/minions for sale there even if you have everything else there you want.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

You can also buy gear to turn in for GC seals which can be used for a ton of stuff. They have essentially loot boxes for Stormblood mounts/minions for sale there even if you have everything else there you want.

Do this with Poetics if you want, but do NOT waste your Causalities on 620 gear. 1500 tomes gets you a relic stage, and crafting materials (usually Thavnairian Flux or Deinosuchus Skins sell the best) are an easy 1-2m+ gil for a stack.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 1, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
its cool when the developers of the game know their own premise of quests is bullshit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

genuinely looking forward to seeing whether TLD starts liking the story in HW/ShB/EW or if it ultimately fails to grab them

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

SirSamVimes posted:

genuinely looking forward to seeing whether TLD starts liking the story in HW/ShB/EW or if it ultimately fails to grab them

honestly I'm already starting to like it when the game isn't stretching my imagination to think me talking to 4 people (2 who say no) to go fight for some dickheads that never helped us is going to fight off a dragon army lol. But yes, the story is getting good and I like a lot of the new characters, who are MUCH better than the grand company people, the scions, and 99% of the cast I've met so far.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

hell yeah you won't have to force yourself to do MSQ just to unlock new gambling dens, you can actually enjoy it

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Oh also, battle on the Ishgard bridge was very good.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Oh also, battle on the Ishgard bridge was very good.

Yeah that used to be a really really lovely trial until they remade it into a really cool solo duty a few months ago.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

its cool when the developers of the game know their own premise of quests is bullshit

From what I recall this sort of lampshade hanging happens about four or five more times in the MSQ alone.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

honestly I'm already starting to like it when the game isn't stretching my imagination to think me talking to 4 people (2 who say no) to go fight for some dickheads that never helped us is going to fight off a dragon army lol. But yes, the story is getting good and I like a lot of the new characters, who are MUCH better than the grand company people, the scions, and 99% of the cast I've met so far.
Now that you're officially past The Bad Parts, allow me to officially welcome to Final Fantasy XIV. Enjoy your stay.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just a heads up that you're going to get a warning soon that says "Several cutscenes will play in sequence" and you should set aside enough time. The game loving means it, 45 minutes of cutscenes!

That's pretty much the end of ARR and moves in HW soon after. You'll know you're there when the voice actors suddenly change

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

For what it's worth, when I did that a year or so ago I popped some popcorn and put on auto-advance and had a great time. It's a pretty fun series of cutscenes! Plus, even though the Several Cutscenes warning will return many times, they'll never be that long again.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Veotax posted:

Just a heads up that you're going to get a warning soon that says "Several cutscenes will play in sequence" and you should set aside enough time. The game loving means it, 45 minutes of cutscenes!

That's pretty much the end of ARR and moves in HW soon after. You'll know you're there when the voice actors suddenly change

Jesus Christ lol

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh yeah, they're great. Best cutscene up to that point, tons of bespoke animation in them and fully voiced.

It's just that the game loving means it when it gives that warning

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
You know what is a perfect way to follow up that awesome Ishgard bridge fight....?

Follow around some loving idiots level 1 questing adventure from the sidelines! :D loving awesome! you really know how to pace this game

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Dont you loving dare complain about Tataru's quests you bastard

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

HerraS posted:

Dont you loving dare complain about Tataru's quests you bastatd

She sucks and is a failure and I had no interest in monitoring some level 1 quests where she couldn’t fight a level 1 rabbite

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Tataru is like the most competent Scion at her job once she figures out what she should be doing

you'll be seeing her a lot during the entire game so sucks to be you I guess

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

She sucks and is a failure and I had no interest in monitoring some level 1 quests where she couldn’t fight a level 1 rabbite

Tataru is the best scion by a wide margin you buffoon

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

HerraS posted:

Tataru is like the most competent Scion at her job once she figures out what she should be doing

you'll be seeing her a lot during the entire game so sucks to be you I guess

Crazy that she is considered the most competent but I would agree, she files excellent paperwork which is more important than sitting around doing uh, nothing, like the others.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Relyssa posted:

I really didn’t say otherwise

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Relyssa posted:

https://youtu.be/W2ub2zoBVR4?si=HdkQzSPHk0duzz-z

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

You know what is a perfect way to follow up that awesome Ishgard bridge fight....?

Follow around some loving idiots level 1 questing adventure from the sidelines! :D loving awesome! you really know how to pace this game

Ah, Tataru.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

What's really funny is when a certain detail about that quest becomes relevant again (though granted in an ignorable sidequest) four expansions later, and changes everything about that part right there.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

BlazetheInferno posted:

What's really funny is when a certain detail about that quest becomes relevant again (though granted in an ignorable sidequest) four expansions later, and changes everything about that part right there.

lmao ok, you have my attention. I hope I remember

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

lmao ok, you have my attention. I hope I remember

It's a sidequest in Endwalker... frankly, there are SEVERAL sidequest in Endwalker that are really good, so it'll be a while, but worth remembering.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Honestly that whole Tataru section in 2.55 is a nice example of how patches have changed. Back then they had a weird obsession with wanting new msq entries in patches to feel big so they had loads of padding. Just comparing the number of msq quests in 2.55 to 3.55 is eye opening.

If they did the same patch these days all that Tataru stuff would be there but in a sidequest which probably rewarded a cute glam at the end.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The biggest change once you're out of ARR is that they start making characters who have personalities instead of just a list of tasks they want you to do for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Watching the long cutscene now and smiling