Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i took one look at this weird ship system and alt-f4'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Starting as a space miner makes me want more games where you play as Megatron

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It's lame gamepass has to wait like a week to play.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

played two hours, the onboarding writing is so bad, I was close to yelling WHAT at the screen several times

but then they send you to tactically clear a dungeon and that was cool

is the writing better or worse than the last one?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

DrManiac posted:

It's lame gamepass has to wait like a week to play.

its a game pass alright

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shear Modulus posted:

oh i see we're talking about starfield reviews yeah i knew it would be poo poo because it's bethesda

Unsurprising the mod can't read

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

lol the intro is mining. this game is putting its strongest foot forward alright

Should have been a prisoner

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Starting as a space miner makes me want more games where you play as Megatron

War for Cybertron was killed too soon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Red Baron posted:

War for Cybertron was killed too soon

I love the first game's campaign being about being the bad guys loving everything up and killing the motherfuck out of the rear end in a top hat previous prime and then the Autobots having to deal with the aftermath

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr Hootington posted:

Should have been a prisoner
agreed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
can you do star trek in it? and is there a baby yoda?

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

smarxist posted:

spawning naked on a random planet and punching enough rocks until i can make a spaceship

well now i'm sold

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Pc gamer try not to edit .ini or other files challenge. Maybe games will actually work for you?

Mr Hootington posted:

*mods in infinite gold and a giant dildo that one hits everything*
drat this game is easy and boring. Why do others enjoy it?

As predicted goons in games are doing these things while complaining the game is boring or breaking.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I think I will buy and play starfield and have a good time because of all the reviews saying stuff like "it's ok, the gameplay is fun but it doesn't have the entertaining writing and charm that bethesda is so well known for"

sebmojo posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-review/ this seems a good summary of pros and cons.

quote:

The first few companions of Constellation I met were disappointing, too: a pleasant man, a pleasant woman, and another pleasant man. They were all extremely nice and agreeable, but that's not really what I'm looking for in a follower. Where were the weirdos Bethesda is so good at creating? Where were Starfield's versions of Nick Valentine, or Cicero, or Curie? Even Vasco the robot is kind of a bore—wait, didn't Bethesda used to be great at making entertaining robots?

like I am completely fine with a game where the companions are bland compared to bethesda's view of fun and wacky

quote:

It comes close on occasion: one settlement on a far-flung planet is right up there with the most entertaining Vault-Tec experiments of all time. But more often the promising premises I found in remote bases or mysterious space stations tended to fizzle out. Starfield's alien bugs, even the truly monstrous ones, don't hold a candle to Skyrim's menagerie of beasts, faction quests never match the intrigue and brilliance of Oblivion's guild quests, and though Starfield's "spacers" and Fallout's raiders probably share the same basic code (attack player on sight) they just don't have as much personality.

I played all of these games and it's so weird the way people remember them. Skyrim's exciting beast menagerie of bear/wolf/crab/dragon, Fallout raiders with their rich personality of 'haha I am a raider who will kill you, I love looting and killing'

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm only doing cosmetic mods on BG3 but I confess I moved it to easy difficulty and it's a lot chiller this way

The primary difference is that it gives you more HP, which puts your survivability more in line with the typical video game character than a D&D character, and I don't have to worry as much about getting one-shot but it still feels challenging because I still have to deal damage at the same rate. Played through the gith creche and duergar fort yesterday, both fun

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

As predicted goons in games are doing these things while complaining the game is boring or breaking.

are you playing Starfield?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
all the wacky vaults like

- vault where we drive people insane
- vault where we drive people insane in a different way
- vault where insane people murder each other
- Gary vault
- vault where people are murdered and then go insane
- bad vault
- a vault that is full of bad things

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

are you playing Starfield?

Wish to be soon. Going to borrow an xbox1 and see if Cloud streaming works

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The intro is hilarious for how fast and dumb it is. Touch metal, oh you're the chosen one. I can feel it even though I've only met you for 30 seconds.

Anyway here's my ship, my robot, and he'll why don't you take my watch also. See ya!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

The intro is hilarious for how fast and dumb it is. Touch metal, oh you're the chosen one. I can feel it even though I've only met you for 30 seconds.

Anyway here's my ship, my robot, and he'll why don't you take my watch also. See ya!

i understand why they do this (kids like it and they want/need this to be a 4 quadrant game) but imo the fromsoft approach of starting off as a LOSER works better for RPGs

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

its so funny how theres just 0 weight lol. nothing even vaguely interesting to give you expectations

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They drained even the tiny scraps of personality their npcs usually have out, that sounds impressive

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i understand why they do this (kids like it and they want/need this to be a 4 quadrant game) but imo the fromsoft approach of starting off as a LOSER works better for RPGs

Elder scrolls "dude in prison for some reason" is always a great intro, unironically. I guess maybe tedious the 50th time but who cares

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Homeless Friend posted:

its so funny how theres just 0 weight lol. nothing even vaguely interesting to give you expectations

I mean there is 0 weight if you loot only like pens, notbooks and cutlery

also glass for some reson, literally every tumbler, whiskey or tall glass weighs nothing and is worth a ton

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There is a lot of goon telephone happening with this game

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you start off as a miner and then you touch a rock that makes you trip

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Deadspace

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
like i said i think i'm just not a space guy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

like i said i think i'm just not a space guy

yea this is me. i don't like space because i feel like most of the time it's just fantasy poo poo in a more boring environment

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

can you do star trek in it? and is there a baby yoda?

if there's a baby yoda then i may be interested...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

crepeface posted:

yea this is me. i don't like space because i feel like most of the time it's just fantasy poo poo in a more boring environment

Yes that is sci-fi

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

While Kingdom Come has a lot of issues(like some pretty idiotic interpretations of history) getting to start off as a poor farmer was a ton of fun. I even avoided the main quest (and getting proper armor and training) for as long as possible because if I didn't I would get too much of an advantage.

I don't care about being the chosen one that's oh so special, let me overcome the odds unlike what happens in real life where most regular people fail, that's the real fantasy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes that is sci-fi

that's space opera

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Communist Bear posted:

i watched from the beginning for an hour, it was boring and the pirate attack doesnt even make any narrative sense

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I need to fix my PS3, MGS4 plays mostly fine but occasionally I will get these consecutive disk loading pauses sometimes during gameplay. will give me a good opportunity to practice refurbishing an old console.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Palladium posted:

i watched from the beginning for an hour, it was boring and the pirate attack doesnt even make any narrative sense

it kinda sets up your expectations though

"from time to time bandits will come looking for you because they all think you are a loot goblin"

and so they will and in turn increase your loot and level

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The bandits know they are in a Bethesda game and that the player is an overemcumbered pinata. Game sounds very meta

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it kinda sets up your expectations though

"from time to time bandits will come looking for you because they all think you are a loot goblin"

and so they will and in turn increase your loot and level

"should we attack with all five of our pirate ships together that we have around the planet to grab the unobtanium?"

"no that would mean there weren't be a story for the player!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tbf this is not too far from how Outer Wilds starts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok so let me get this straight. Goons have spent 15 years bitching about bethesda having long tutorials that handhold the player and goons wished for a return to a morrowind game beginning. Now starfield as a very short beginning and just a smidgen of tutorial making it very similar to morrowind, but now that is bad?

Am I understanding this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so let me get this straight. Goons have spent 15 years bitching about bethesda having long tutorials that handhold the player and goons wished for a return to a morrowind game beginning. Now starfield as a very short beginning and just a smidgen of tutorial making it very similar to morrowind, but now that is bad?

Am I understanding this?

i don't think "goons" is one guy and have probably had a lot of different opinions over the years