Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So what I'm reading is this has the potential to be a great underdog story, or just another disappointing child that couldn't rise above its circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I remember when people were worried about the immune-evasive Mu in 2021, then Delta grabbed a few infectivity power-ups and Juggernaut-charged its way through the vaccines and to the top.

It's good news that BA 2.86 doesn't appear especially infectious, but still bad that it's so antigenically distant from a recent dominant variant/upcoming vaccines. No reason something couldn't be both in the future, I don't think.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

I remember when people were worried about the immune-evasive Mu in 2021, then Delta grabbed a few infectivity power-ups and Juggernaut-charged its way through the vaccines and to the top.

It's good news that BA 2.86 doesn't appear especially infectious, but still bad that it's so antigenically distant from a recent dominant variant/upcoming vaccines. No reason something couldn't be both in the future, I don't think.

That's the fun part about multiple variants circulating at once and a population that's been infected multiple times so that their immune system is taxed to poo poo! They can have a months long sleepover in someone's lungs/gut/brain and swap mutations until they escape into an Applebee's Appy Hour the wild!

Love living in a world-sized uncontrolled gain of function experiment.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Oracle posted:

The perfidious Wuhan EcoHealth Alliance (or whatever they’re called) strikes again!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Oracle posted:

That's the fun part about multiple variants circulating at once and a population that's been infected multiple times so that their immune system is taxed to poo poo! They can have a months long sleepover in someone's lungs/gut/brain and swap mutations until they escape into an Applebee's Appy Hour the wild!

That and, I doubt there's any reason people can't be infected by multiple variants at once, particularly if they're going maskless to places with lots and lots of people. Then the viral RNA soup in their cells can do all sorts of fun recombining.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

skooma512 posted:

There's no guidance on exposure at work. There's no test site anymore. Employee health just has a voicemail to report a positive test. We're on our own. Lol lmao. Major hospital system, but you're on your own if you get sick. No COVID leave anymore either.

Life in the purge :allears:
Anytime someone mentions there bossing calling them to come in I imagine it as "time for your next sortie, raven"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Don't worry though, coronaviruses have long linear genomes and thus evolve more slowly than influenza with its segmented genome.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

That and, I doubt there's any reason people can't be infected by multiple variants at once, particularly if they're going maskless to places with lots and lots of people. Then the viral RNA soup in their cells can do all sorts of fun recombining.

well, yes, thus the whole 'they can have a sleepover' part.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

biceps crimes posted:

welcome to neurotically opening and closing windows throughout the day

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

I barely paid attention to Mu, same with Kappa. They weren't that interesting to me. I was loving concerned about Gamma though.

B.C. had a really loving bad outbreak of P.1 with employees at ski lodges and when cases were accelerating that whole region of Canada stopped sequencing completely "because it's all P.1." Of course because loads of people here do a quick jump across the boarder for spring skiing we had a really bad spike of it here too. It had the highest hospitalization rate we'd ever seen (6.8%), and it was the highest until XBB.1.16* and XBB.1.9.1*. I knew Delta was bad cause of India, and that it caused breakthrough infections with double-Pfizer vaccinated people because of the data from S'pore. But all I could focus on was that Gamma was in my backyard, was knocking a lot of people into the ICU, and it was increasing against Alpha until Delta knocked them both down.

I think the last sample Washington had sequenced of Alpha was in Sept. of '21, and the last one of Gamma was taken three months after that in Dec. of '21 right before Omicron. It spun around China in June of '22 and apparently it was most recently sequenced from a person in Ireland in April of this year. Not only that but it seems to be a favorite with armadillos and white-tailed deer so who knows what sort of weird it's mutated into now. It's a loving stubborn rear end variant that seems to like popping up in other animals now.

Weirdly happy to be wrong about it hitting us though. Seriously hoping BA.2.86 doesn't manifest into something worse. Gotta hope for something, right :smith:

* these are most likely skewed high since fewer people outside of hospitals get PCR tests these days as compared to when PCR tests were more accessible and mostly free back in the first half of 2021.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

The babies of the babies that were having babies are having more babies.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

The Oldest Man posted:

a lotta ya'll still don't get it

pasc victims can use multiple fogs on a single brain
:hmmrona:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

time to cancel the apocalypse

Looks like the apocalypse is back on the menu boys

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kazmeyer posted:

(for reference: that scene in Apollo 13 was probably the equivalent of like a 40,000-60,000 on the Aranet.)

Technically, Apollo spacecraft had atmospheres of almost pure oxygen at low pressure. Aranet4 wouldn’t have given an accurate reading.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

We Were 3.5 Years in Power: An American Tragedy

family took an international flight and got got
entire family positive
kids are mild, meanwhile myself+spouse got hit hard
using paxlovid and symptoms are gone
still going through the course so we'll see how things go
i'm sitting on another paxlovid course if need be

:theroni:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Another friend of mine got got here in Australia. Well at least I assume so, the only indication so far is a social media post which just reads "IT'S NOT MILD :("

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

looking forward to my poo poo contributing to the next Washington state weekly wastewater update

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

some fuckhead ripped my mask off

man what the gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DominoKitten posted:

Speaking of CR Cubes and PC fans, I recently ran across some...very swank computer fan based CR kits at: https://www.cleanairkits.com/ and am sorely tempted to start replacing our duct taped behemoths with these sleeker ones. They cost a lot more upfront than duct taping a cube to a box fan, but they claim to "match CR Box capacities at 1/5 noise, 1/5 power, and half the footprint." Because they use so little electricity, you can even run them for hours off of a lithium power bank or a cigarette lighter adapter in your car or your laptop. And they've got a tiny double barrel personal HEPA that they say is super quiet and also will run on a power bank.

It’s a good design. Air purifiers based on those little DC fans have significant noise/floor space/portability/energy advantages over box fan builds.

You’re paying like a hundred and fifty bucks for someone to package together some fans and a PSU and LASER cut some fiberboard, but if that’s something that you’d rather pay for than DIY, go for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
might be time to start carrying a spare mask in your pocket if people are going to start ripping them off your face, sheesh

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A friend of mine got got this week for the first time after managing to avoid it for 3.5 years inspite of having school-aged kids.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

I've been debating whether or not to post about this just because of how rattled it left me, but I've been out traveling this week and when I was at Yellowstone, some fuckhead ripped my mask off in the parking lot. I had just been to see Old Faithful and was putting my bike back on the car when I heard some giggling, I turned around and two beefy dudes were there, one of them with his hand in my face. I was too surprised for any kind of witty retort, so I just batted him away and got in my van.

It was a pretty low-risk situation (I was about to take it off anyway, lmao) and it's been several days since then so I figure I'm in the clear, but christ, I can't even post what I hope happens to that fucker. Anyway, southeastern Wyoming is nice as well, never been here before.

goddamn that's awful, I'm so sorry

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

might be time to start carrying a spare mask in your pocket if people are going to start ripping them off your face, sheesh

This but it’s me in a VFlex 9105 with a 8110S underneath.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Sounds bad, but consider: No doctors => no beds => no hospitalizations. That's just good public health economics.
"First major survey of doctors with Long Covid reveals debilitating impact on health, life and work"

https://www.bma.org.uk/bma-media-ce...health-services posted:

Lost jobs, lost income, debilitating symptoms that render even the most mundane tasks near-impossible, and huge barriers to accessing treatment: these are the repeated stories of UK doctors living with Long Covid, in response to a major survey from the BMA.

Carried out in partnership with the support group Long Covid Doctors for Action, it is the first comprehensive survey of doctors with post-acute Covid health complications (often referred to as ‘Long Covid’). More than 600 doctors suffering the continuing effects of Covid-19 were asked about the impact the condition is having on their health, daily lives, employment and finances.

In a report published today, the findings paint a stark picture of the devastating impact Long Covid is having on this group of people who were doing their job during the pandemic and deserved to be better protected – and for whom many feel completely let down by a system that they say has turned its back on them.

Key findings include:
  • Doctors reported a wide range of symptoms, including fatigue, headaches, muscular pain, nerve damage, joint pain, ongoing respiratory problems and many more.
  • Around 60% of doctors told the BMA that post-acute Covid ill health has impacted on their ability to carry out day-to-day activities on a regular basis;
  • Almost one in five respondents (18%) reported that they were now unable to work due to their post-acute Covid ill-health;
  • Less than one in three (31%) doctors said they were working full-time, compared to more than half (57%) before the onset of their illness;
  • Nearly half (48%) said they have experienced some form of loss of earnings as a result of post-acute Covid;
  • 54% of respondents acquired Covid-19 during the first wave of the pandemic in 2020, and 77% of these believed that they contracted Covid -19 in the workplace;
  • A small minority of doctors had access to respiratory protective equipment (RPE) around the time that they contracted Covid-19, with only 11% having access to an FFP2 respirator and 16% an FFP3 respirator;
  • More than 65% of doctors responding said their post-acute Covid symptoms had not been investigated thoroughly and effectively by an NHS long Covid clinic or centre. And almost half of doctors reported not even being referred to an NHS long Covid clinic at all.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I sometimes wonder if so-called "fact checks" are doing more harm than good.

Either of these seem to push exposure to the bullshit to an audience that probably hadn't heard about the nonsense going on down the rabbithole, more so than correcting their perception of something they've already heard.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Just for the headline:

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/08/31/oregon-kids-return-school-viruses-covid-rsv-flu-measles/ posted:

Oregon kids return to school — and the festival of viruses begins
:coronatoot:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I wonder if brain fog is more pervasive than is shown in the data? Going off from the elderly who get dementia and/or alzheimer, they develop strategies to cover up their senility since there is a huge stigma in our society and they don't want to be embarrassed. Like there are folks who always tell stories of their grandparents who they suspected they were losing senility for years before the elder gets much worse and they finally get diagnosed. I'm sure younger people who got brain fog is also doing the same thing without knowing it because ain't nobody want to admit or show that they've got dumber in public at all.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tzen posted:

entire family positive

Fingers crossed. Taking an 11 hour flight, direct. However, going to be in business class, and juiced up with Flo Travel and my N95.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

I wonder if brain fog is more pervasive than is shown in the data? Going off from the elderly who get dementia and/or alzheimer, they develop strategies to cover up their senility since there is a huge stigma in our society and they don't want to be embarrassed. Like there are folks who always tell stories of their grandparents who they suspected they were losing senility for years before the elder gets much worse and they finally get diagnosed. I'm sure younger people who got brain fog is also doing the same thing without knowing it because ain't nobody want to admit or show that they've got dumber in public at all.

You have that, but also it is particularly difficult to assess with young people (particularly children), because you don't have an established baseline of behavior. Moody and lazy teens are a trope for a reason, so how do you disentangle long COVID from normal behavior without biomarkers? - and would you even consider a doctors visit, unless it is at the extreme (like a recent article I posted where the child slept for days)?

While the ongoing mental health crisis in teens could be due to *gestures at the world*, I think that is also how PASC in children would manifest - moody, depressed, angry etc. I am not saying it is due to PASC mind you, as there is certainly good reason to believe there would be a mental health crisis either way, but I am saying it is difficult to disentangle PASC from that when talking children.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

I barely paid attention to Mu, same with Kappa. They weren't that interesting to me. I was loving concerned about Gamma though.

B.C. had a really loving bad outbreak of P.1 with employees at ski lodges and when cases were accelerating that whole region of Canada stopped sequencing completely "because it's all P.1." Of course because loads of people here do a quick jump across the boarder for spring skiing we had a really bad spike of it here too. It had the highest hospitalization rate we'd ever seen (6.8%), and it was the highest until XBB.1.16* and XBB.1.9.1*. I knew Delta was bad cause of India, and that it caused breakthrough infections with double-Pfizer vaccinated people because of the data from S'pore. But all I could focus on was that Gamma was in my backyard, was knocking a lot of people into the ICU, and it was increasing against Alpha until Delta knocked them both down.

I think the last sample Washington had sequenced of Alpha was in Sept. of '21, and the last one of Gamma was taken three months after that in Dec. of '21 right before Omicron. It spun around China in June of '22 and apparently it was most recently sequenced from a person in Ireland in April of this year. Not only that but it seems to be a favorite with armadillos and white-tailed deer so who knows what sort of weird it's mutated into now. It's a loving stubborn rear end variant that seems to like popping up in other animals now.

Weirdly happy to be wrong about it hitting us though. Seriously hoping BA.2.86 doesn't manifest into something worse. Gotta hope for something, right :smith:

* these are most likely skewed high since fewer people outside of hospitals get PCR tests these days as compared to when PCR tests were more accessible and mostly free back in the first half of 2021.
Yeah, Gamma has been odd. I'm hoping that its becoming well-adapted to other animals means it's less likely to jump into us. Sucks for those other critters though.

Tzen posted:

entire family positive

Sorry goon, hope you and the family heal up soon.

Pingui posted:

Sounds bad, but consider: No doctors => no beds => no hospitalizations. That's just good public health economics.
"First major survey of doctors with Long Covid reveals debilitating impact on health, life and work"
:smith:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Yeah, it is pretty dire. The UK has been closing the gap by hiring HCW's in former colonies, which in turn have their healthcare systems going from poor to non-existent. It helps the UK (and other industrialized countries that are doing the same) pave over the problems in the short term, but it is neither ethical, nor sustainable.

Edit to add a news report about the brain drain. This is the description:
"Nigeria's doctors are heading abroad in huge numbers. In 2021, the World Health Organization reported Nigeria had just 4 doctors for every 10,000 people - an already dire situation. But since then, things have worsened rapidly. The Nigerian Medical Association says there's now only 1 doctor per 10,000 people. And that's left hospitals desperately short of staff."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNvu01OGv-Y

That's 3/4 of the country's doctors leaving in 2 years...

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Sep 1, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Yeah, it is pretty dire. The UK has been closing the gap by hiring HCW's in former colonies, which in turn have their healthcare systems going from poor to non-existent. It helps the UK (and other industrialized countries that are doing the same) pave over the problems in the short term, but it is neither ethical, nor sustainable.

"Nigeria's doctors are heading abroad in huge numbers. In 2021, the World Health Organization reported Nigeria had just 4 doctors for every 10,000 people - an already dire situation. But since then, things have worsened rapidly. The Nigerian Medical Association says there's now only 1 doctor per 10,000 people. And that's left hospitals desperately short of staff."

Yeah, it's not great. And if/when those doctors/HCWs get sick too, then nobody has any staff left.

Oh well, if things were really that bad, then somebody would do something about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the fault of everyone seeking second opinions. :argh:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pingui posted:

that is quite devastating for a country of Nigeria’s size. many people don’t realize Nigeria has more people than Brazil.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Tzen posted:

entire family positive

aww dang

feel better and take the second course anyway imo, it's good enough for tony faucet

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Only the kid has ever popped positive on a test at this point (a molecular the day after symptoms started and a rat the following day), and she's now negative on repeat RATs and a molecular. Goes back to school on Tuesday.

In talking to her teachers something like 1/3 -> 1/2 of all their kids are out sick atm. Things are going great.

She had trouble getting out of bed when she was at her sickest and I overheard her claiming she was asymptomatic to her friends, lol.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This article indirectly raises an interesting point, namely that in regards to "of COVID" versus "with COVID", the "with COVID" hospitalizations would see a large drop compared to earlier waves, because hospitals are no longer testing everyone, but rather a small subset.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/01/health/covid-case-data-wave/index.html posted:

It seems like everyone has Covid-19. Here’s why this wave is probably worse than official data suggests

Covid-19 certainly didn’t take a vacation this summer. Virus levels in the US have been on the rise for weeks, but it’s hard to know exactly how widely it’s spreading.

Federal data suggests that the current increases have stayed far below earlier peaks and notable surges. But judging by word of mouth among family, friends and coworkers, it can seem like everyone knows someone who’s sick with Covid-19 right now.
(..)
Rates of severe disease may be staying at relatively low levels, but experts agree that there are probably more infections than the current surveillance systems can capture.

“There is more transmission out there than what the surveillance data indicates,” said Janet Hamilton, executive director of the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists. “And we should be paying attention to it, because we are starting to see an increase.”
(..)
Mokdad declined to quantify an estimate for current case counts, but he said he’s been getting lots of calls and questions about Covid-19 recently — similar to what he experienced around the end of last year. In mid-December, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was reporting about 500,000 cases a week. And IHME estimates from that time suggest that the US was in one of the worst waves of the pandemic, second only to the Omicron surge.

Two imperfect measures of transmission
Tracking Covid-19 trends has always had its challenges. But the rise of rapid home tests — and general waning of public interest in testing at all — has all but erased the ability to grasp current case counts nationwide. The CDC officially stopped reporting aggregate Covid-19 case counts months ago, noting that data had become less representative of actual infections or transmission levels over time.

As case counts started to become less reliable, some experts first pointed to hospitalization metrics as a reasonable substitute to gauge transmission. Hospitals were regularly testing all patients, whether they were coming in for Covid-related symptoms or for something else entirely, and they are required to report positive cases. The idea was that case rates in a hospital could serve as a proxy for case rates in the broader community.

There were about 15,000 new hospital admissions for Covid-19 in the week ending August 19, according to CDC data — less than half of what the numbers were at this time last year and lower than they were for about 80% of the pandemic.

But hospitals have shifted their testing practices, balancing changing federal requirements and recommendations with local risk assessments, which makes it difficult to compare data from different points in time.

“When testing supplies first were readily available, we moved to testing everyone, including health care workers routinely, including anybody who was coming in the door for any reason,” said Nancy Foster, vice president of quality and patient safety for the American Hospital Association. “Anybody and everybody got tested.”

Although hospitals are still required to report any positive cases, they’ve eased back on testing to be more in line with guidance around other infectious diseases. The focus is on those who are symptomatic, have been exposed or might be around other high-risk patients.

“Hospital admissions is much more of an indication of severity at this point in time, than I think it is of generalized transmission,” Hamilton said.

Many measures of Covid-19 and other public health surveillance rely on people to seek out clinical testing or medical treatment, and those behaviors have changed over the past few years. Wastewater surveillance offers a more consistent approach by monitoring the amount of virus shed in sewage systems.

But interpreting that data can be complicated — and with Covid, wastewater levels can’t be directly translated to case counts.

The amount of virus that an infected person sheds depends on a many factors, including the presence of antibodies from a vaccine or previous infection and the severity of the current infection.

Data from Biobot Analytics, a biotechnology firm that has partnered with the CDC, shows that wastewater concentrations of the coronavirus are similar to what they were at the start of the first winter surge in 2020.
(..)
The upward trend is clear
Even if the exact number of new infections isn’t clear, experts say, the rising trends in the data that is available are enough to raise alarm.

“Surveillance data is across a continuum. We want to have multiple different types of data that tell us different kinds of things. When they’re all pointing in the same direction, that’s maybe a time to get even more concerned,” Hamilton said.

And right now, many key measures are indicating an increase.

Weekly hospital admissions have nearly doubled over the past month, including a 19% bump in the most recent week, CDC data shows. And a sample of laboratories participating in a federal surveillance program show that test positivity rates have tripled in the past two months.

There are some hopeful signs: Biobot data shows that wastewater levels may be starting to flatten, and relatively low hospitalization rates suggest that there may be a lower risk of severe disease for many.
(..)

Regarding Biobot data, this is what they are talking about :

But by region that seems less like a leveling off, except in the South:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Sep 1, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pingui posted:

Covid certainly didn't take a vacation this summer

drat, even diseases are suffering in this economy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a friends seven year old has been in school a week and now has strep AND Covid

where's the goddamn life expectancy numbers cdc, how thoroughly have you failed in your mandate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

a friends seven year old has been in school a week and now has strep AND Covid

where's the goddamn life expectancy numbers cdc, how thoroughly have you failed in your mandate

Just like every bad political story, they're going to drop it this late afternoon right before when everyone is going to ignore the news because c'mon man, it's freaking Labor day weekend!