Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

a spy can invisibly approach the intel, uncloak, touch it, then move it a few feet before dying

rinse, repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i suppose you couldn't just keep a person (or engineer building) physically on top of the intel to prevent that?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"ctf is a bad game mode because sometimes I lose, instead of it being an infinite stalemate."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wild idea for an alternate CTF mode:

Each flag's base platform is on a track, which automatically gradually moves towards the center over the course of like ten minutes. If you pick up the flag and run it, the base keeps trundling along, and if you drop it, the flag eventually returns to wherever its base is now. If you score the flag, both it and its platform reset. If somehow nobody scores, eventually both platforms end up in the very center, which should be trivial to capture. You still need to bring the flag all the way into your side of the map to score it.

Aspiring defenders need to gradually move forward with their flag, in a sort of anti-payload dynamic. The further out of your base you can keep your flag safe, the less frequently your enemy scores a point.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 31, 2023

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Kaal posted:

Typically in Tribes you’d often prefer to defend the flag in the field rather than on the stand, because you could move the flag around by shooting it with projectiles and put it into a really difficult spot during the timeout. But part of that is the difference in map design - while the flag stands were surrounded by sentries and guards, they weren’t right next to spawn points. As a result, an offense could appreciably weaken the static defense rather than just death-matching.

Bringing those ideas to TF2, my suggestion would be to limit direct access to the flag area from spawns, to help split up defenders. And allow cappers to bypass spawn areas entirely while moving between flags. Defeating the three engineers is less of a problem than needing to kill the rest of the team multiple times while doing so. If the Sentries really end up being a problem with Tribes CTF rule set, then adopt another one of their rules and give turrets no-build auras.

I think if I was designing a ctf map, the spawn for each team would lead in two directions: One way would be a fast, protected (drop-downs, battlements, multiple exits etc.) access to the central, open area. The other way would be a slow flank route to the flag room, and the entry to the flag room from this direction would be exposed to enemies already inside your base.

Your team's internal flank route to your flag is not that much faster than the enemy team's direct route to it through the center of the map. So the idea would be to incentivize both teams to rollout to the center of the map and try to take control of it.

If your team is on the defensive and you're holding your own flag room then both options make sense, but the inside route through your base does not generate much of a timer advantage compared to the direct route the enemy team can take.

If you are spawning when the enemy team grabs your flag you won't be able contest it fast enough by taking the route inside your base, so you need to rush to center and try to cut off the flag carrier in the middle of the map, but that means you'll probably be fighting the rest of enemy team at the same time.

When you're the one holding the flag you'll probably often end up in the situation where you're forced to camp out inside the enemy base, waiting for your team to retake center control.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Honestly I wish you could toss instead of drop the intel like you could in QWTF and TFC (or pass time). It might change the dynamic where you could potentially get it out of some of the pesky chokes easier.

Speaking of passtime, I didn’t realize how there’s a sub community for it for all the old ctf_bball2 players.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TWgW6XIqeas&si=YJZ-PIY_5d26fPNw

This looks fun as hell

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Vizuyos posted:

if you're not enjoying sitting around waiting for enemies to touch the intel, then go on offense

if your team is capping the intel, then the enemy team isn't actually accomplishing much by dragging the intel forward six inches at a time. that conga line of bonk scouts who evaporate after touching the intel for a fraction of a second are wasting their own time more than they're wasting yours

unlike other objectives, your goal in CTF is not to prevent your flag from ever moving. it's to cap the enemy's flag faster and more frequently than they cap yours

This is the thing, though, when you go on offence you BECOME the bonk scout. Attacking is not more interesting than defending. The most common outcomes of CTF are the ones where nobody is actually enjoying themselves.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
They should just make tribes. Flags in the open, soldiers and demomen capping as fast as their explosions can carry them.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Fishbus posted:

Make it so CTF is instead A&D, one team attempts to cap as many times as they can, then the sides switch and the other team tries to do the same.

It only now occurs to me that TF2 doesn't have one flag or bomb type modes and man they should really loving do that, that'd be good as hell

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It only now occurs to me that TF2 doesn't have one flag or bomb type modes and man they should really loving do that, that'd be good as hell

looks like someone forgot about sd_doomsday

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Yeah they should do that except get rid of the platform gimmick and make asymmetrical maps for it

so basically nothing like Doomsday

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

This is the thing, though, when you go on offence you BECOME the bonk scout. Attacking is not more interesting than defending. The most common outcomes of CTF are the ones where nobody is actually enjoying themselves.

you could, like, let someone else be the bonk scout while you shoot people

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What do you mean I have "teammates"? Is that contageous?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

you could, like, let someone else be the bonk scout while you shoot people
you're right, I could have more fun by ignoring the objective and just shooting people, because ctf is a bad game mode and people mostly play it like it's just a deathmatch

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i did not realize that bonk scouts are the absolute entirety of what playing the objective consists of

surely you can go shoot the people trying to stop the deluge of bonk scouts

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

surely you can go shoot the people trying to stop the deluge of bonk scouts

Not until your own flag is safely back home. It's a rule, look it up

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

cock hero flux posted:

you're right, I could have more fun by ignoring the objective and just shooting people, because ctf is a bad game mode and people mostly play it like it's just a deathmatch

you could try shooting the people guarding the intel, instead of just suiciding into their guns in hopes that you manage to touch the intel before you die

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
[thinking really hard] oooooh ctf might be bad

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I might be a bit stupid in asking this, but I've been so on and off over the past decade about playing consistently that what feel like are big developments stand out to me when I come back to this game every few months.

Something notable that struck me recently, does anybody else kind of feel like the overall skill level of your average pub player has increased dramatically over the last decade or so, accounting for the ongoing bot problem of course, or am I just slow and old and being batted around by the newer generation I probably could have kept up with back in 2011?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 1, 2023

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I haven't played in a decade so remind me, are bonk scouts immune to airblast pushback?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

and with the Jag the build time is actually faster than an unboosted mini.
this is something I've seen people say a few times but it really doesn't mean much of anything because the difference in, like, action economy or whatever you wanna call it for "placing a level 1 and standing next to it to hit it with your wrench a few times" vs "placing a minisentry and then immediately getting back to shooting+moving" is enormous. someone already basically said this but it's really barely a comparison

khwarezm posted:

Something notable that struck me recently, does anybody else kind of feel like the overall skill level of your average pub player has increased dramatically over the last decade or so, accounting for the ongoing bot problem of course, or am I just slow and old and being batted around by the newer generation I probably could have kept up with back in 2011?
Yes, your average player in valve servers is way better than they used to be. They're still not incredible but they used to be incredibly farmable by anyone with even very basic fps understanding

like you see pubbies do dumb stuff sometimes still but you don't really see them literally doing nothing but walking around bumping into poo poo like it's their first time moving a character in a 3d environment anymore

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

resistentialism posted:

I think if I was designing a ctf map, the spawn for each team would lead in two directions: One way would be a fast, protected (drop-downs, battlements, multiple exits etc.) access to the central, open area. The other way would be a slow flank route to the flag room, and the entry to the flag room from this direction would be exposed to enemies already inside your base.

Your team's internal flank route to your flag is not that much faster than the enemy team's direct route to it through the center of the map. So the idea would be to incentivize both teams to rollout to the center of the map and try to take control of it.

If your team is on the defensive and you're holding your own flag room then both options make sense, but the inside route through your base does not generate much of a timer advantage compared to the direct route the enemy team can take.

If you are spawning when the enemy team grabs your flag you won't be able contest it fast enough by taking the route inside your base, so you need to rush to center and try to cut off the flag carrier in the middle of the map, but that means you'll probably be fighting the rest of enemy team at the same time.

When you're the one holding the flag you'll probably often end up in the situation where you're forced to camp out inside the enemy base, waiting for your team to retake center control.

Aren't you just describing Turbine

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I feel like in most games I play now, especially on 5CP maps, KOTH and the better Payload maps, despite being on a Valve server there's usually 2 or 3 guys who have a Hale's own strange, a fancy outfit, and a very high tier ranking that are kicking rear end and all of them are probably dominating me within 10 minutes.

Oh god, are we starting to transition to the period in a games lifetime where most of the people who are playing have been at it for years and are way too good for new players or players who've had a big gap and are returning to handle?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really wish Valve had finished Asteroid, I definitely think Robot Destruction as a mode would have solved a bunch of the problems CTF had

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's a real difference in e.g. how far blue gets in payload maps in pubs compared to 10 years ago, a level 3 sentry used to be an unstoppable superboss.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

Really wish Valve had finished Asteroid, I definitely think Robot Destruction as a mode would have solved a bunch of the problems CTF had

I would die a happy man if Valve released an update where the sole focus was just fleshing out their vast amount of abandoned and unfinished content and nothing else. Remember Replays? And how they just completely abandoned that mechanic? Or how we are closing in on the 10 year anniversary since valve last added a new Mann vs Machine campaign or map despite it still being a popular mode? Or how the entire Arena game mode has been completely abandoned, not even a single valve server for it, despite having unique mechanics and some cool maps made only for it? PASS time? Mannpower? There's so much abandoned detritious they introduced and forgot about essentially immediately, even popular things like MVM.

Also add strange versions for the gameplay effecting weapons that don't have them yet (they missed some!)

Thinking about it, remember Hydro? The map didn't work, but is there someway they could have dramatically rejigged the map into something actually popular? Maybe convert it into a Payload map or something?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Dabir posted:

Aren't you just describing Turbine

Turbine is closer, sort of, but it has the big big problem of the spawn room being extremely close to the flag room. It's also got a problem with the exits out from your spawn being a bit too brutal to push through when you have to take back mid.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

khwarezm posted:

Oh god, are we starting to transition to the period in a games lifetime where most of the people who are playing have been at it for years and are way too good for new players or players who've had a big gap and are returning to handle?

I dunno man, I've been playing for like 10 years and people have been kicking my rear end left and right all along.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I have amazing old man gamer nostalgia playing hydro with goons back in the day shortly after release. Hats didn't really exist, and everyone knew this game was something special compared to the other stuff coming out at the time.

And here I am with white hairs in my pubes still playing it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

My off-the-top-of-my-head 1am TF2 CTF spitball:

Have it so when the intel is picked up, it's not exclusive - there can be infinite flags picked up, but a player can only carry one at a time. Dropped flags stick around forever and could outnumber players but can be returned if a friendly player hovers over them for a second or two to tidy up the mess. Games are not scored by 3 points but perhaps dozens.

This might solve the stalemate turtling since there's multiple flags to manage once the intel room is breached.

You could even have it so flag spawns and capture destinations are not the same spots but instead four different places, perhaps diagonally opposed in an X. Securing a strong offense line from corner to corner means a weak defense line and vice versa.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Game mode idea: CTPLR. Payload Race where you have to capture the flag and take it back to the payload first. Each capture gives you, say, 30 seconds of push time.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Come And See posted:

My off-the-top-of-my-head 1am TF2 CTF spitball:

Have it so when the intel is picked up, it's not exclusive - there can be infinite flags picked up, but a player can only carry one at a time. Dropped flags stick around forever and could outnumber players but can be returned if a friendly player hovers over them for a second or two to tidy up the mess. Games are not scored by 3 points but perhaps dozens.

This might solve the stalemate turtling since there's multiple flags to manage once the intel room is breached.

You could even have it so flag spawns and capture destinations are not the same spots but instead four different places, perhaps diagonally opposed in an X. Securing a strong offense line from corner to corner means a weak defense line and vice versa.

just give up on ctf in tf2 man it doesn't work

I found a video of a ctf game in tfc, you can clearly see why it made sense for that game's speed and mobility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI840bR3HYc

Valve should never have ported it over for tf2, but I guess they needed it for nostalgia and early marketing

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

mila kunis posted:

Valve should never have ported it over for tf2, but I guess they needed it for nostalgia and early marketing

I mean back then CTF was seen as one of THE mandatory FPS modes. Like people could barely imagine TF working without grenades, I think people would have rioted without CTF. Obviously now with hindsight we can see that CP / Payload are the much more interesting game modes (and I think Valve knew this back then too, considering 2fort was the only non-CP map on launch)

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Dabir posted:

Game mode idea: CTPLR. Payload Race where you have to capture the flag and take it back to the payload first. Each capture gives you, say, 30 seconds of push time.

Sounds like selbyen

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
CTF is good because its a low stakes deathmatch and tf2 is good enough that just mucking around is still good fun

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

The biggest issue about snipers is there is no voice line to say there’s a sniper ahead

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Fishbus posted:

The biggest issue about snipers is there is no voice line to say there’s a sniper ahead

I mean let's be real- that's because there always is one.

and it's me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vagabong posted:

CTF is good because its a low stakes deathmatch and tf2 is good enough that just mucking around is still good fun
koth is a better version of this tbqh

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

IronicDongz posted:

koth is a better version of this tbqh

Seriously, hell Payload Race is better too if Hightower is anything to go by.

Its one of my pet peeves when people defend 2fort as a good mucking around map to not take things too seriously. No! 2fort is a terrible map for having actual fun in any form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

2fort is fun if you want to sit around in base and smack your sentry without moving from directly next to it

for a lot of people that's all they actually want to do