Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

kamille being violently anti-authority as an innate personal characteristic could certainly be twisted if he also got put through the Cyber Newtype Brain Scrambler, but that's a few steps removed from zeta gundam to even be speculation anymore, it's just straight fanfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kamille being in CCA would really change the whole movie cause even if Char is full on his BS Kamille being there or involved would probably end up changing his actions/methods greatly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cca char didn't give a gently caress about anyone alive. even amuro was char's self-inflicted trial that he would overcome (he did not overcome it).

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen Char's Counterattack, but I definitely remember it seeming like Char cared about plenty of people in it. He didn't care enough about any of them to choose a different path, but that doesn't mean he didn't care

By the end of Zeta Kamille was in a really rough place even before the Scirocco brain scramble. If he avoided that but still went through everything else and was with Char the whole time I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine him working with Char on the Axis drop

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CCA Char is Don from Mad Men

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

CCA Char is Don from Mad Men

CCA special edition ending with Char giving up on dropping a colony on Earth in favor of making the "I want to buy the world a Coke" ad. Amuro flies off into the sunset with Chan, although cast interviews assume he's going to screw up again sooner or later.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chrome line posted:

Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen Char's Counterattack, but I definitely remember it seeming like Char cared about plenty of people in it. He didn't care enough about any of them to choose a different path, but that doesn't mean he didn't care

By the end of Zeta Kamille was in a really rough place even before the Scirocco brain scramble. If he avoided that but still went through everything else and was with Char the whole time I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine him working with Char on the Axis drop

Kamille was in a really rough place towards the end of Zeta because at his core he's a nice boy who watched a lot of people he came to care about get hurt and die despite all of his efforts to stop it and he's absolutely furiously angry at the callous bastards who don't give a single poo poo about the value of human life. He's very explicitly clear about his feelings when fighting Haman, Yazan, and Scirocco.

Barring a theoretical cyber newtype surgery completely changing who he is as a person(at which point you're dealing with a completely different character who bears very little resemblance to Kamille), I simply can't accept that Kamille would ever accept a plan that involves killing several billion innocent people for no directly discernable purpose beyond a nebulous "if they move into space things will improve" hand wave gesture.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
https://twitter.com/kishigunpla/status/1697376995468808443?t=s5IxtNPoSNSVUyh-KAIi3Q&s=19

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s a dream someone had you dorkwads

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DamnGlitch posted:

It’s a dream someone had you dorkwads

"Gyunei was originally meant to be Kamille" is an extremely old fan theory that's been bouncing around for a very long time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

it's a very old fan theory that has zero basis in any sort of production notes or even lies tomino told in interviews, it's just straight up something people came up with because gyunei is vaguely the right age.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/omiya2448/status/1697197301834661997?s=20

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Kamille was in a really rough place towards the end of Zeta because at his core he's a nice boy who watched a lot of people he came to care about get hurt and die despite all of his efforts to stop it and he's absolutely furiously angry at the callous bastards who don't give a single poo poo about the value of human life. He's very explicitly clear about his feelings when fighting Haman, Yazan, and Scirocco.

Barring a theoretical cyber newtype surgery completely changing who he is as a person(at which point you're dealing with a completely different character who bears very little resemblance to Kamille), I simply can't accept that Kamille would ever accept a plan that involves killing several billion innocent people for no directly discernable purpose beyond a nebulous "if they move into space things will improve" hand wave gesture.

it'd be a bit like char becoming quattro

there's a chain of logic you can follow but it'd be a big loving jump. i wouldn't find it super out of the question if it happened, gundam's done more absurd/dumber

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If Kamille were going to be anyone he'd be Kayra Su, and she does pilot like she has significant brain damage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Quattro becoming CCA Char isn't that much of a leap, people lolle resist it because they like Quattro but the denial is weak in actuality. Kamille is far more a leap.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Just finished Zeta. Been skimming over some recent posts that coincidentally kinda clear up the ending, which I wasn't a big fan of because of the ambiguity (and, apparently, misdirection). This was my second go at watching Z because I just didn't like Kamille the first time around. He grew on me as he matured which took most of the series.

Not looking to get into a whole philosophical dissection at the moment, and the ending kinda just flips everything on its head, but here are some general thoughts:
- Jerid sucks. What a dumb jock. Holy poo poo the only bad thing about him dying was that he'll never lose a fight again.
- Reccoa sucks too. It makes sense how Scirocco lures people in with the illusion of freedom and independence (in my interpretation), but gassing a colony, something she really didn't want to do, because you love your new boss is not the thing you wanted. This starts to get into some of the philosophical stuff about how the show treats women, which is complicated (just like women AMIRITE).
- Emma is cool. I don't understand the DBZ absorb my power poo poo at the end, but up to then she was badass, level-headed, and righteous.
- Surprised Katz died. Seemed like he was supposed to be the 3rd Amuro. He might have even killed more women he loved than Amuro or Kamille, but it's hard to keep count in this show.
- Char's English voice actor has a great voice and is amazing at selling "cool", but, imo, he didn't seem to "get" some of the more subtle scenes.
- Speaking of voice actors, I think Cpt. Henken did a great job. The character was great too. Just a real competent dude balancing his responsibility and personal feelings. Or at least he would have, if his crew didn't love him as much as I do <3

Pretty reductive to summarize the series in 6 points, especially when there is a TON of cultural discourse going on, but these were the more superficial episode to episode things that stood out to me. 08th MS team might be my favorite out of what I've seen so far (MSG, G Witch, Unicorn, Origin, 08, Zeta). Just really love how that dude was like "nah, war is bullshit FOR REAL and I'm gonna go start a family".

Moving on to ZZ next maybe? How necessary is that before watching CCA, which I hear is great?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't watch ZZ because you think you'll need to see it to understand CCA. Watch ZZ because it's fun and good.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Arc Hammer posted:

Don't watch ZZ because you think you'll need to see it to understand CCA. Watch ZZ because it's fun and good.

If it is good Gundam I will watch it. Thanks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chrome line posted:

The thing with Kamille and Char is that their relationship was largely based on Kamille calling Char on his poo poo. Like, all the time. Kamille's response when he was asked if what he knew about Char was "I know that guy. He was cool, but also he sucked a lot?"

It was even a big part of why Char liked him so much. Kamille was someone who didn't hate Char, didn't mind hanging out with him, and who constantly pointed out Char's flaws. It's a pretty limited set of people who do that.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
ZZ is good, though it's uneven. I like it a lot more than Zeta though

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing with Kamille and Char is that their relationship was largely based on Kamille calling Char on his poo poo. Like, all the time. Kamille's response when he was asked if what he knew about Char was "I know that guy. He was cool, but also he sucked a lot?"

It was even a big part of why Char liked him so much. Kamille was someone who didn't hate Char, didn't mind hanging out with him, and who constantly pointed out Char's flaws. It's a pretty limited set of people who do that.

Kamille calls him on his poo poo a lot, but they seem to broadly agree on their goals. Though I don't think it would make sense without a lot of setup, I don't think it's that hard to imagine a version of the story where Kamille goes through stuff and ends up siding with Char. But I definitely don't think he was ever supposed to be in Char's Counterattack, his ending in ZZ was clearly meant to be the last we saw of him. If anything Judau would make more sense there given his attitude at the end of ZZ, though that would also be a big stretch

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

If it is good Gundam I will watch it. Thanks.

ZZ is not necessary for CCA but informs a significant character's backstory in Unicorn if you get that far.

ZZ also has a sharp tonal shift from what the end of Z was like. I didn't much care for the first half of it when I saw it years ago but it may stand up better on a rewatch today.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

Battle assault 3 was such a let down

To be fair it was only given that name in the US, the original Japanese release was a completely unrelated game

That would be a trip

Vord posted:

That's before Scirocco did his newtype whatever to Kamille. Who's to say what kind of person he'd be if Char had gotten to him in that state. Post Zeta Char could of easily had Kamille cyber newtyped up in an attempt to fix him.

Didn't Kamille also say at some point near the end of Zeta that he was prepared to die for Char?

Towards the end of this alternate CCA we find out that Sirocco actually had swapped minds with Kamille when he did the mind whammy so it has really been him this whole time

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I thought ZZ was terrible but I'm in the minority on that around here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1697534760707571741?t=rlwtBhI5BeeT6qXqW0Ty0Q&s=19

A Gundam that murmurs while stabbing you with wire guided xacto knives.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Arc Hammer posted:

:yeah:

ZZ provides some interesting context for CCA, but it’s not strictly necessary. The important part of ZZ is the Shangri-La gang and Roux, who all rule. There may be some naysayers who don’t like the comedy and think the show flips a switch from silly to maudlin like Futurama’s iHawk, but I like the shenanigans and it doesn’t flip like that, it builds up to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

:yeah:

ZZ provides some interesting context for CCA, but it’s not strictly necessary. The important part of ZZ is the Shangri-La gang and Roux, who all rule. There may be some naysayers who don’t like the comedy and think the show flips a switch from silly to maudlin like Futurama’s iHawk, but I like the shenanigans and it doesn’t flip like that, it builds up to it.

Beecha does not rule.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The important thing to note is that ZZ is not anime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ZZ give you a healthy dose of 10-12 year old girl nudity and makes a plot point of said girl needing to be naked in a bath to best use their powers.

It was better when it was just trying to be comedy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ImpAtom posted:

Beecha does not rule.

I’m so pissed the one Super Robot Wars game I’ve played featured him rather than Mondo or Iino. Although it did reference the time he stole the ZZ and got his poo poo rocked, that was funny.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That Works posted:

I thought ZZ was terrible but I'm in the minority on that around here.

Terrible? There are def worse in Gundam but as far as UC series go its p clearly the worst of the 50 episode series.

Not in the minority to me, ZZ is a deeply flawed show that really only picks up in the last 1/3rd of it when it returns to Zeta's pacing and plot points.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
ZZ sucks and has an idiot Tonka Toy mess for it's titular gundam

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Despite its non-anime status, I feel that ZZ Gundam is, in fact, very good and entertaining.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ZZ has better looking mobile suits than Zeta and I say that loving the weird rear end Barzam. Neo Zeon had flair that the Titans lacked.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ZZ is extremely good, and a lot of that is because it's willing to veer so far away from the standard UC style established by MSG and ZZ. More Gundam series should take cues from ZZ

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

ZZ is extremely good, and a lot of that is because it's willing to veer so far away from the standard UC style established by MSG and ZZ. More Gundam series should take cues from ZZ
It also meant, in the case of ZZ, that you could actually mark a path on things getting more serious from the relatively lighthearted antics of young morons on both sides at the beginning, to the severe battles at the very end.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I like the clunkier, chunkier mechs in ZZ, but Zeta wins the mobile suit contest just for the Hyaku-Shiki and Dijeh alone.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I think and this is my opinion that the hyaku shiki is an ugly rear end mobile suit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's a pretty neat lanky design which sets it apart from the other chunky suits but the detailing on the suit can get lost in the shiny gold plating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the quality of the Hyaku Shiki's design depends heavily on the coloring style used for the gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hiaku shiki is whatever but the hambrabi and quebeley are great designs