Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The beauty of Yellowstone is indisputably marred by the sheer volume of traffic. They need to replace personal cars completely with an extensive shuttle system.
it is demonic. a beautiful area, still capable of being preserved, turned into loving coney island of the rockies. i hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

NoU posted:

saw a post on twitter (or here) complaining about how it costs the same amount for someone to walk into a national park as it does for someone to drive in. just a display of absolute deference to cars

it costs the same for six people in a car as one person in a car as one person on foot

better to just ask someone to sit in an empty seat in the car as they pass through the gate

(or walk past the gate without paying; wtf r u gonna do, smokey?)

mystes
May 31, 2006

NoU posted:

saw a post on twitter (or here) complaining about how it costs the same amount for someone to walk into a national park as it does for someone to drive in. just a display of absolute deference to cars
I think at most national parks there's a flat rate for cars that's about equal to 2 people walking/biking in, so it's clearly not priced to disincentivize driving and it's cheaper to drive in if you have 3 or more people but it's not quite as ridiculous as 1 car being the same as 1 pedestrian/bike.

I suspect they wouldn't want to charge per person for cars just because it would make it a lot more complicated. They could raise it to the equivalent of 3 pedestrians/bikes, but I also don't think there's that much point trying to disincentivize cars by charging more at a lot of national parks in their current state, especially ones that don't have shuttles; they would be much better off just saying you can't bring personal cars in at all and adding shuttles.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Sep 1, 2023

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
https://twitter.com/muehlendahl/status/1697002128986747236

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Agree with the replier who said "Unglaublich" because I understood that

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The idea of allowing cars in parks in the first place is so blisteringly insulting

:hmmyes:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
One little indignity that I hate is that WA state ferries charge several bucks for bikes. You just tie up your bike on the front corner of the car deck. It doesn't take away any spots for the precious cars. Meanwhile the cars are heavily subsidized because they take up a lot of space on the ferry and their weight increases the ferry's draught, which significantly increases fuel consumption.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Love to see all those practically parked cars

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it is demonic. a beautiful area, still capable of being preserved, turned into loving coney island of the rockies. i hate it.

i live an hour away and have no desire to go there at all during the summer

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
going to the bike coop today, hoping to get a cool bike.

wish me luck!!!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I just don't go to national parks anymore. There's tons of wilderness areas and places every bit as beautiful as stuff the government has deemed "national park" worthy. I don't have to deal with cars, crowds, and volunteer rangers drunk on power demanding to see your permits multiple times a day when you're backpacking. I can also take my dog (love the logic of national parks where asphalt and thousands of cars are totally fine, but dogs would be too harmful to the environment).

spacemang_spliff posted:

wish me luck!!!
:blessed:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

good luck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacemang_spliff posted:

wish me luck!!!

good luck!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nothing with an engine should be allowed in Yellowstone unless it's being used by the rangers tbqh. It's a nature preserve. Your dumb fat American asses should hike or ride a horse or a bike or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the one time my family went to Yellowstone we were driving cross country from Michigan to Alaska to move. I think Yellowstone was just in the way, though.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Man it would be amazing if they parks just ripped out all the paved roads and limited motorized vehicles to rangers/search and rescue/differently abled. The outrage would be worth it alone, people would lose their loving minds.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

raggedphoto posted:

Man it would be amazing if they parks just ripped out all the paved roads and limited motorized vehicles to rangers/search and rescue/differently abled. The outrage would be worth it alone, people would lose their loving minds.

In Toronto we limited the number of roads that cars could use in High Park and drivers went ballistic. Cars were driving through bike lanes, people were pulling up barriers to drive through, someone hit a counter-protester with their car, just some good old fashioned backlash to only being allowed to drive in most places as opposed to everywhere.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol remember the freakout during the government shutdown

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol remember the freakout during the government shutdown

I remember a bunch of car brains using the opportunity to chainsaw a bunch of Joshua trees and rip up the park with ATVs

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I had to calmly argue with a taxi guy to not sit in the bike lane while waiting for someone, and he could very easily just stand behind the parked cars right in front of him or the little passenger loading zone in front of the hotel and he insisted he wasn't parking!

That's two cop cars parked in the background where at least one is almost always stationed (likely in part because of cars being vandalized in the bike lane on this strip). The only thing I've ever seen them do is stare at their cell phones or occasionally stand in the bike lane talking to each other.

Here's another of Baltimore's finest from the same bike ride

Mauser has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Sep 1, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

GSMNP recently implemented a parking fee. Small victories.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

spacemang_spliff posted:

wish me luck!!!

gently caress yeah,

Post what you find

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

wish me luck!!!

good luck! :blessed: post pics

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

GSMNP recently implemented a parking fee. Small victories.

Read this without my contacts on and thought it said CSPAM implemented a parking fee. Not sure how it might work but taxing carbrained posts outside of AI sounds good, I'll pass the suggestion on to Jeffrey.

Mr. Sharps posted:

I lived next to a a busy thoroughfare for three years and it was absolute hateful every second of the day

I grew up ~700m from one of the busiest highways in North America and it was far enough away that there was always a consistent hum like a waterfall, somewhere between lulling and nagging. Sucks for anyone living or working within let's see the closest distance... not even 20m. Nice.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Replace all public roads in national parks with light rail. Imagine riding down Yosemite Valley or alongside Tuolumne Meadows in an open tram car. ah well, never mind, add another lane

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008

Mauser posted:

That's two cop cars parked in the background where at least one is almost always stationed (likely in part because of cars being vandalized in the bike lane on this strip). The only thing I've ever seen them do is stare at their cell phones or occasionally stand in the bike lane talking to each other.

Here's another of Baltimore's finest from the same bike ride

Cops are notoriously bad at bikes. In Austin there's a state bike cop that's all of 5'3" and his bike is WAY too big for him. One time I saw him trying to push himself by his tippy toes to hop a curb while the rest of his pals rolled past him.

Also caught this dingus mess up his running mount.

mystes
May 31, 2006

sillyloquy posted:

Cops are notoriously bad at bikes. In Austin there's a state bike cop that's all of 5'3" and his bike is WAY too big for him. One time I saw him trying to push himself by his tippy toes to hop a curb while the rest of his pals rolled past him.

ACABB (All Cops Are Bad at Biking)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

sillyloquy posted:

if he doesn't ride a big bike how will the other cops on big bikes respect him? how will he intimidate civilians? :nsamad:

clearly we need to get this guy a pennyfarthing with fat tires

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the bike coop had a giant cypress for $200, so that's what I picked up

it's a nice bike. need to get a some baskets and a water bottle or two so I can haul groceries with it but it's fun and easy to ride. didn't realize how out of shape I am lol

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

it's a nice bike. need to get a some baskets and a water bottle or two so I can haul groceries with it but it's fun and easy to ride. didn't realize how out of shape I am lol

nice! get a rear rack and some bags for more flexibility

https://ibera.info/collections/pakrak-carriers

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-bike-panniers

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sillyloquy posted:

Cops are notoriously bad
yes we know

Step one should always, always be lights, especially american homicidal maniacs drivers. Ortlieb makes forever bags. Wald makes great collapsible baskets.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Sep 1, 2023

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
My wife is from China and her family lives in Dongguan so I've spent a few months there every year since about 2009. Back then there was basically no public transport there. The population had exploded from 500 thousand or so in 1990 to almost 7 million in 2009 and traffic was often horrible. There were some bus lines but they also got stuck in traffic so they weren't very popular.

This could describe a bunch of US cities right now. Public transport sucks and gets stuck in traffic so nobody uses it unless they have no other option.

Since 2009 Dongguan has built two high speed rail stations and one subway line. Three new subway lines are under construction and there are plans to connect the subway network to neighboring Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

And since China is building so much rail infrastructure they're able to standardize everything and keep costs down. Exactly what a huge country like the US could do! There's nothing special about the US. Just build proper infrastructure and people will use it. The reason New Yorkers take the subway is not that they're passionate about public transport or less individualistic then other Americans but because it's the best option.

China opened it's first 117 km high speed rail line in august 2008. In November that year Californian voted to fund the construction of high speed rail. The Californian high speed rail line is planned to be 277 km by 2029. Testing is supposed to start in mid 2030 and passenger service later that year. The total length of the Chinese high speed rail network was 42,000 km at the end of 2022 with plans to extend it to 70,000 km by 2035 (and there is talk of a 650 km/h maglev train to connect Guangzhou, Dongguan, Shenzhen and Hongkong but I'm not sure if that's actually going to happen).

It's so depressing to think about what the US could do. You built the Interstate Highway System in a few decades! But instead of an Interstate Rail System we get the Vegas Loop.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

spacemang_spliff posted:

Giant makes such handsome bikes. 2 Hundo is a deal. Nthing lights and accessories. It's always fun picking up something for the bike once ever couple of months until you reach the perfect setup.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hedenius posted:

There's nothing special about the US.

Oof, you're not going to get very far by telling people that!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hedenius posted:

My wife is from China and her family lives in Dongguan so I've spent a few months there every year since about 2009. Back then there was basically no public transport there. The population had exploded from 500 thousand or so in 1990 to almost 7 million in 2009 and traffic was often horrible. There were some bus lines but they also got stuck in traffic so they weren't very popular.

This could describe a bunch of US cities right now. Public transport sucks and gets stuck in traffic so nobody uses it unless they have no other option.

Since 2009 Dongguan has built two high speed rail stations and one subway line. Three new subway lines are under construction and there are plans to connect the subway network to neighboring Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

And since China is building so much rail infrastructure they're able to standardize everything and keep costs down. Exactly what a huge country like the US could do! There's nothing special about the US. Just build proper infrastructure and people will use it. The reason New Yorkers take the subway is not that they're passionate about public transport or less individualistic then other Americans but because it's the best option.

China opened it's first 117 km high speed rail line in august 2008. In November that year Californian voted to fund the construction of high speed rail. The Californian high speed rail line is planned to be 277 km by 2029. Testing is supposed to start in mid 2030 and passenger service later that year. The total length of the Chinese high speed rail network was 42,000 km at the end of 2022 with plans to extend it to 70,000 km by 2035 (and there is talk of a 650 km/h maglev train to connect Guangzhou, Dongguan, Shenzhen and Hongkong but I'm not sure if that's actually going to happen).

It's so depressing to think about what the US could do. You built the Interstate Highway System in a few decades! But instead of an Interstate Rail System we get the Vegas Loop.

I'm guessing eminent domain is a lot easier to use in China

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

actionjackson posted:

I'm guessing eminent domain is a lot easier to use in China

it’s actually the exact opposite lol. there is no eminent domain for owned rural property, hence all the nail houses. ofc for urban property they can terminate your lease early but also a lot of people with rural hukou live in places that were once the boonies and are now cities bigger than anything in Ohio

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

it’s actually the exact opposite lol. there is no eminent domain for owned rural property, hence all the nail houses. ofc for urban property they can terminate your lease early but also a lot of people with rural hukou live in places that were once the boonies and are now cities bigger than anything in Ohio

so what happens when someone refuses to move, thus stopping the rail from being built?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

actionjackson posted:

so what happens when someone refuses to move, thus stopping the rail from being built?

Like most of east Asia, they build a little zigzag so you can listen to 24/7 vroom/chuggachugga/whoosh and do some self-criticism.

There's still a subsistence farm in the runway loop of Tokyo's 'new' (late 60sish?) airport, I think, definitely was before covid. I used to try to get a window on the proper side of the plane so I could give the old guy a thumbs-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mandoric posted:

Like most of east Asia, they build a little zigzag so you can listen to 24/7 vroom/chuggachugga/whoosh and do some self-criticism.

There's still a subsistence farm in the runway loop of Tokyo's 'new' (late 60sish?) airport, I think, definitely was before covid. I used to try to get a window on the proper side of the plane so I could give the old guy a thumbs-up.

Slight derail but the story of Narita Airport is wild, here's an excerpt from the book Dissenting Japan:

quote:

Narita International Airport was set finally to open on 30 March 1978, but Hantai Dōmei’s cohorts had one more ace up their sleeve...The facility was being protected by 14,000 riot police, and so, to create a diversion, the protestors rebuilt their fortresses and a 16-metre tower. They held a massive 10,000-strong rally at the fortresses, drawing the police away. And then all hell began to break loose. A burning truck loaded with radicals came from nowhere and rammed through the main airport gates. (One of those on the truck would later die from his burns.) Hundreds then rushed into the airport grounds at fourteen points around the site. Emergency services ran around frantically, trying to put out the flames. Foot soldiers from the all-red Fourth International were chased by the all-black riot police, making for a colourful, oddly beautiful scene.

But all this was a distraction, mere bagatelles of fireworks and marauders. While the tumult was going on, fourteen militants, mostly from Fourth International, were lying in wait. They had entered the airport through the sewers the night before and now, coming out of a manhole near the control tower, like ninjas they made good on their carefully planned assault. Ten managed to get inside the control tower, fired upon by guards. Six then made it up to the control room and started to smash up equipment. Having captured the heart of the airport, they unfurled a red banner from the roof. A hammer and sickle was painted on one of the few unbroken windows...The band of saboteurs, meanwhile, barricaded themselves in, so police were eventually forced to climb up from the outside, firing tear gas in through the windows to recapture the castle keep from the invaders after two hours. This incredible coup delayed the opening of the airport to 20 May.

T...The airport had been scaled back to just the first phase of its original gargantuan plan. It had been expected to open in 1973, but instead the journey had taken twelve long years from the announcement of the airport site in 1966. It was 16,000 hectares in size and with a 4,000-metre runway, yet only a third of the plan. To reach this took the deaths of four policemen, two students, and those of many others who died indirectly from injuries or trauma suffered in the protest movement. Thousands had been injured and arrested, and there had been direct underwriting to the tune of ¥160 billion and indirect investment of some ¥800 billion.