Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

quote:

Snap to Zero function for easier sample looping

ohhhhh baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Reaganomicon posted:

okay, so just to confirm, I don't need any more hardware other than the midi controller, USB cable and DAW software to produce beatz??

will check out Vital synth, thanks

That and a splice subscription and you have what makes up like half the EDM/dubstep space

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

If you need something to produce sound, I suggest Vital synth. It's free

and then run it through Valhalla Supermassive, since it's also free!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

That and a splice subscription and you have what makes up like half the EDM/dubstep space

I was talking about this on a non-music forum with someone who is a full time musician who makes a substantial portion of their scratch from monetized Youtube content, and it was just a funny conversation to me because they thought all my gear etc was super cool, but also their stance was "I'm grindset and I just need to put out absolutely as much good quality content as I can, so even if I could afford a ton of analog or modular gear, I just don't see that being as effective for me as being able to go Make Thing In DAW, Add Effects Layers In DAW, jam publish and move on to the next thing".

Gee, that sounds like a job! I like my job okay, it pays better than I'd ever expect music to even if I had 10x the talent and hours because Art Is Hard* and I don't want to make my hobbies my job. But I love the amount of people who do, because there's so much cool music out there now.

* "Math is hard" lol what a bullshit trope. Some people will have easier or harder times with different kinds of thinking; in my case I was able to get a Compsci degree after flailing HARD trying to get an art degree. It was much easier for me. But, education aside, "making money with math" seems to me to look a lot easier than "making money with music". Even in the most literal sense, ignoring engineering jobs etc, I know 3 people who went to school to become math teachers, they are all math teachers who like their jobs, and they all made more money year 1 out of school than my artisan dad made in the best year of his 30 years of making pottery.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The Rhythm Roulette series on YouTube is a great window into what gear professional producers actually use. Seeing guys who make six figures still using QWERTY in FL studio as their keys, it's wild.

I saw a video with Four Tet once where one of his pieces of stage gear was an old laptop running old shareware audio recording software that had long expired and had the nag screen still. He uses it because he can tap the track pad and get like a 0.1ms latent return on a sample, faster than anything else he'd come across

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I saw a video with Four Tet once where one of his pieces of stage gear was an old laptop running old shareware audio recording software that had long expired and had the nag screen still. He uses it because he can tap the track pad and get like a 0.1ms latent return on a sample, faster than anything else he'd come across

As a licensed winrar owner I am curious why he didn't simply buy it

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

As a licensed winrar owner I am curious why he didn't simply buy it

Guessing it’s because it’s old enough that you can’t anymore

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
paying for software like that is looking a gift horse in the mouth and shoving your wallet in

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-09-02-vocoding-spectraphon

all this talk of software made me wonder what would happen if I sent spectraphon through a vocoder

also I now have everything set up with 2 stereo channels in to tascam 4x4, so can send drums through compressor/etc and other stuff through a different VST/DSP chain if I want.

This is cool, and now I want the $500 Presonus 8-channel mixer (I am a studio one user, not that it matters much) and, uh, a Bunch Of Rack Things To Make That Work since up until now I've just been L+R out of everything.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
A few sales today worth mentioning:

TT-303 for $259

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/cyclone-analogic-tt-303-mk2.html

Black box for $565

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/1010-music-blackbox.html?utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=300308&clickId=4489077116

Software:

Native Instruments FM8 for $10

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/8001-FM8?a_aid=6384ad7e501ec

Moog ring modulator for $10

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MF102S--moog-mf-102s-ring-modulator-plug-in

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
https://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-synth/synth-anthology-4.html

Synth Anthology 4 is 89 euros for the next week or so.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

:gas:

e:

snorch fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 4, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That's an on-screen monitor for lyrics, isn't it. That really didn't catch on. I have an old Casio with that somewhere.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you push some buttons, the upper manual lifts up. there's a radio, an antenna, a morse code keyer, an ashtray and a little note pad full of soviet frequencies and decoding/encoding keys from 1974

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I just updated Hyperion with the new (final) 1.3 firmware. Spectral delay seems cool, I have to mess with the other new stuff.

I also noticed that Hyperion seems to be gone; it seemed like an extreme buy when ST said they were shutting down, but I got a floor model from PC for $740. The last one that sold on reverb was 1050 and there's just none now. I wonder what his total production was.

There's still some e370s around including at least one new one at PC (though only on their reverb site); it's still $1200, and that's a tough sell. That's hydrasynth money; I love my e352 but it's no Hydrasynth.

E: it does have 100% more cat pictures on the menu, than Hydra.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yeah sometimes they jump up pretty good, I think the oscillographic block went cwejman on me. 6something to $goodluck. Natural gates holy lol. :retrogames:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Got a tracker mini and spent a few hours on the couch w/ it and a travel guitar. Fun!!!

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I got the original Tracker at the firesale Polyend were selling it for, and have been wrapping my head around it the past weekend. Pattern creation is really gelling with me, though I'm still figuring out how to finish a song on it in a way that works for me. I'm sure I'll get there though with some time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Super noob question of the night: I can plug my Moog Theremini into my PC via USB cable but I have no idea how to get the sound to go from there to here. I just downloaded Audacity, that's the noob level I'm on.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm guessing it's appearing to the computer as a MIDI controller. MIDI controllers don't make sound, they send note information and control change information to a computer that decideds how to make that into sound.
If you would like to record your Theremin's sounds into the computer you want an audio cable from it into the computer, maybe an audio interface in between if your computer doesn't take line in.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Animal-Mother posted:

Super noob question of the night: I can plug my Moog Theremini into my PC via USB cable but I have no idea how to get the sound to go from there to here. I just downloaded Audacity, that's the noob level I'm on.

You may need to use their editor:

https://moogmusicsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009223274-How-do-I-download-the-Software-Editor-Librarian-for-my-synthesizer-

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

I don’t know about this one specifically but generally speaking I think synth editors are for adjusting synth parameters and settings and for preset management. A line in or possibly mic jack are your best bets but in the long run an audio interface (fancy word for external sound card aimed towards audio work) may be more convenient and perform better when working with audio.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

come on UPS
more like polyEndOfTheDayTrackedByUPS

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Grinds my gears that they took the radio out of the tracker mini. That was the coolest freaking featue! Why would you do that…

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Animal-Mother posted:

Papa Was A Video Toaster is correct, MIDI only.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Poppers posted:

Grinds my gears that they took the radio out of the tracker mini. That was the coolest freaking featue! Why would you do that…

A microphone is like a radio

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Does the Tracker / Tracker Mini work nice as a midi instrument? I like the way sample editing/chopping looks on the tracker but already have ways of sequencing that I like. Does it trigger nice from external gear?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Poppers posted:

mic is less cool but more useful. tracker mini + soma ether is a real fun combo

tylertfb posted:

Does the Tracker / Tracker Mini work nice as a midi instrument? I like the way sample editing/chopping looks on the tracker but already have ways of sequencing that I like. Does it trigger nice from external gear?

I think the latest update added a bunch of support for external midi control. it’s got a big menu of all the CCs and whatnot to page through now if you’re into that. Personally I like to have my samplers sequence themselves so I’ve never touched it, but it is there

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

tylertfb posted:

I've only played with PolyEnd for a few minutes but if what you want is good sample editing/chopping that can be triggered from something else, why buy a tracker, when you don't need a tracker?

I'd probably get a Blackbox, maybe? https://1010music.com/product/blackbox

I'm just assuming the current blackbox's MIDI implementation is the same as the current eurorack version (bitbox mk2 / bitbox micro). Has true multisampling, probably other stuff Polyend lacks.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 8, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah, the tracker can be sequenced by other gear however i have to agree that it is a pretty good sampler with a fantastic sequencer and you can probably get a whole lot more sampler for the money if you just want that functionality

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

look the polyend tracker plays Mario Brothers the NES rom, and now I'm never recording another sound.

what a weird feature

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Tracker is hamstrung for being the center of a MIDI studio (unless they updated it?)

Stuff like only having 8 sequencing channels and needing one per midi channel. Compare to a MPC1000/2500 which is 16/64 channels of MIDI out and infinite in-box tracks

There's a couple other things that are super in-the-weeds (stuff like midi polyphony, ccs, program change messages) that are a pain in the rear end to make gel if everything else is set up looking for that stuff. I mean like using PC channels to select sequences, e.g.

When I thought I was going primary-tracker I grabbed a Roland midi sequencer box from the 80s, the plan being send MMC and sequence samples from the tracker and the rest of my synths on the Roland, which felt to me like the path of least resistance

YMMV and if you're a fiend for tracking maybe all these are in the pros column, definitely adequate to sequence for resampling and then arrange everything ITB (in this case the box is the tracker)

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Definitely agree, any MPC (except fake imposter MPC500) would probably serve better as a master workstation, unless you’re married to the whole tracker paradigm.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
if you are married to trackers and insist on dedicated hardware, consider an amiga. only sort of joking

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MSPain posted:

if you are married to trackers and insist on dedicated hardware, consider an amiga. only sort of joking

I have considered dedicating a tablet computer to a tracker program and trying that as my main sequencer. Back when I was playing around with them, there wasn't MIDI IIRC.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
OpenMPT has solid features but looks like rear end. Renoise is the unbeatable ideal tracker-as-a-DAW and will run on your crusty eeepc.

MSPain posted:

Let’s not forget the venerable Atari ST, undisputed king of dead-on MIDI timing.

snorch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 8, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Lsdj and a buncha gameboys

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Here's a related (maybe) question - what's everyone filling their Trackers with these days?

When I started it used to be so much easier to get like EveryBreakEver.zip from Dogs On Acid, now, several sequencers and hard drives later, I'm seeing paid bandcamp and splice packs as the norm? Yucko

I'm glad to see https://samples.kb6.de/ is still up
Goldbaby stuff I assume is as easy to :files: as ever
Legowelt is going strong
Archive.org stepping up: https://archive.org/details/old-school-sample-cds-collection-01

Actually I might have solved my problems here - I couldn't find the Drum Machine Archive the other day and assumed it was gone but that's enough to fill a couple cards at least

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

OpenMPT has solid features but looks like rear end. Renoise is the unbeatable ideal tracker-as-a-DAW and will run on your crusty eeepc.

Renoise: So I hear, and I bet it will do fine on my repurposed POS machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MSPain posted:

snorch posted:

Let’s not forget the venerable Atari ST, undisputed king of dead-on MIDI timing.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Lsdj and a buncha gameboys

All of this is possible with a MisterFPGA and this https://www.legacypixels.com/mister/midi.html

Any you can play some games on there too.