Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

Follow up on the post I made in the “recommend me a phone” thread a while back about my grandfather’s phone. Are there no promos on iPhones for upgrades right now? He’s got an iPhone 6S Plus and it looks like maybe he’d get “up to $600” for trading it in and upgrading to an iPhone 13, but when I go through the process online it just shows the phone at full price.

6S+ won’t have a trade in anymore. You can call with him to sales at (800) 256-4646 and see if there are any non trade in promos. Maybe maybe not.

If it’s mid to late august I can check for you. Don’t feel obligated to wait on my part just fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I received an email from Verizon about the "old" unlimited plan my MIL has been on, 5G Start for $45.

"To continue improving our industry-leading mobile network and services, the price of select legacy unlimited phone plans is increasing by $3/month per line beginning August 29, 2023.* Please see the impacted mobile numbers for your account below."

So I looked into my options to avoid the $3 hike: jump up $10 or lose some discount I didn't even know I had.

Do I suck it up and eat the increase, or am I missing something? She has no reason to switch plans as she does the most basic smartphone things.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

I received an email from Verizon about the "old" unlimited plan my MIL has been on, 5G Start for $45.

"To continue improving our industry-leading mobile network and services, the price of select legacy unlimited phone plans is increasing by $3/month per line beginning August 29, 2023.* Please see the impacted mobile numbers for your account below."

So I looked into my options to avoid the $3 hike: jump up $10 or lose some discount I didn't even know I had.

Do I suck it up and eat the increase, or am I missing something? She has no reason to switch plans as she does the most basic smartphone things.

Remind me to answer this in 2ish weeks if you don’t mind waiting.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Remind me to answer this in 2ish weeks if you don’t mind waiting.

Will do, thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

More info on Verizon price increases.

Looks like Verizon ran out of new customers - time to squeeze it's existing customers for even more!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

More info on Verizon price increases.

Looks like Verizon ran out of new customers - time to squeeze it's existing customers for even more!

Yeah, they’ve been doing this for over a year and it’s really dumb.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m Honestly thinking of switching to T-Mobile. They have a thing now where I can download an e-sim to see their coverage in my area and it seems kinda worse at home (who cares because I’m on Wi-Fi), but I’m better in dead spots in my town.

Any reason this is dumb? I think T-Mobile also has a deal where they’ll pay off what I owe on my iPhone 14 pro.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I’m Honestly thinking of switching to T-Mobile. They have a thing now where I can download an e-sim to see their coverage in my area and it seems kinda worse at home (who cares because I’m on Wi-Fi), but I’m better in dead spots in my town.

Any reason this is dumb? I think T-Mobile also has a deal where they’ll pay off what I owe on my iPhone 14 pro.

The absolute worst case scenario is you aren’t happy with the coverage / service and switch back in 2ish years.

For cell phone stuff in general, always just make sure you have an apples to apples comparison of said plans, but it’s pretty straight forward there.

Are they paying off your phone and you keep it as a bring your own device ? If so, only other downside is you won’t be able to upgrade to the 15 in a month (which, not like it’s a big difference from the 14).

I would really make sure you know the terms for the buyout and especially if it requires you to trade in your phone. That’s the big one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

Ok, so I re looked at this, and essentially her start plan is $8 more than the Welcome plan, however you got whatever phone discount, which doesn’t translate over.

I would look on your PDF bill , and see if her discount on the phone is higher or lower than $8 (if likely / hopefully is higher), and basically I think my recommendation is keep her on that plan until her phone is paid off, and set a reminder to switch plans when it is paid off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Putting this as a separate post.

*stretches arms*

Ok , so I am officially (well as of Monday) back in a customer facing role. This means that anyone that needs help ordering stuff, that is what I do again.

As always, I base any assistance I do on being transparent. I give advice here whether you order from me or not, and I don’t Bullshit. Anything I help with I’ll of course help maximize any promos, pricings, and discounts. I cannot offer like, random credits or anything outside of the norm.

So post away questions, or PM. If you need to order whatever , PM and I reach out and set up a time to follow up (I usually work Mon-Fri).

Last year digital referrals were not working, I think? That is now fixed. But that said, I do recommend having me call to ensure no issues, but everyone has their own preferences , so digital referrals are also appreciated (and again I help regardless of whether you do anything through me).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Putting this as a separate post.

*stretches arms*

Ok , so I am officially (well as of Monday) back in a customer facing role. This means that anyone that needs help ordering stuff, that is what I do again.

As always, I base any assistance I do on being transparent. I give advice here whether you order from me or not, and I don’t Bullshit. Anything I help with I’ll of course help maximize any promos, pricings, and discounts. I cannot offer like, random credits or anything outside of the norm.

So post away questions, or PM. If you need to order whatever , PM and I reach out and set up a time to follow up (I usually work Mon-Fri).

Last year digital referrals were not working, I think? That is now fixed. But that said, I do recommend having me call to ensure no issues, but everyone has their own preferences , so digital referrals are also appreciated (and again I help regardless of whether you do anything through me).

I know I’m not the only one in this thread but if you’re thinking of doing anything through Verizon, I highly highly highly recommend Duckman. He helped us out quickly and got us a great deal last time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

I know I’m not the only one in this thread but if you’re thinking of doing anything through Verizon, I highly highly highly recommend Duckman. He helped us out quickly and got us a great deal last time.

Really appreciate this thank you. Also cheers dude.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Silly Burrito posted:

100% agreed. Duckman has helped us for over 6 years with multiple phones, tablets, watches and plan work. Always helped us get what was best for our set up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

100% agreed. Duckman has helped us for over 6 years with multiple phones, tablets, watches and plan work. Always helped us get what was best for our set up.

Oh god , it’s been 6+ years…..lol.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yep, you helped us get the X but I know I had asked questions before that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

This might be too specific a question, but is there a compatibility list for the Verizon Call Filter app? I've used it on previous android and iOS devices, but it says it isn't compatible with my Xperia 1 V.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

This might be too specific a question, but is there a compatibility list for the Verizon Call Filter app? I've used it on previous android and iOS devices, but it says it isn't compatible with my Xperia 1 V.

Sorry, no idea on this one , although in general I would not be surprised if it did not work with non Verizon devices, which I assume a Xperia is.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure the math is "the new plans are more expensive" but, if I have a 2.5 line Get More (with Tablet addon that makes it $15/mo after discount) and 5G Start plan and I've activated the Apple Music, Google Play Pass, and Disney Bundle perks, the new plans are more expensive even after the rate increases because of the perk costs yeah?

This December my phone payments "end" and I'm probably swapping both phones from Pixel 6 Pros to Pixel 8 (Pros), but I almost want to bet I'm going to have to change my plan to get the good deals. Been also thinking about the iPhone 15 Pro since they're moving to usb-c. Maybe I just do monthlies for the phones direct from Google/Apple? I will have to get both phones at roughly the same time lest the other person get jealous lol

I feel a bit screwed over by the deal I got for the Pixel 6s (due to shipping issues and a much better deal hitting 2 weeks after I got mine) so I'm definitely scrutinizing everything a bit closer this time and asking before I do anything.

I live in an area with moderately decent 5GUW coverage fwiw but I think all the new plans include that now

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arcon posted:

I'm pretty sure the math is "the new plans are more expensive" but, if I have a 2.5 line Get More (with Tablet addon that makes it $15/mo after discount) and 5G Start plan and I've activated the Apple Music, Google Play Pass, and Disney Bundle perks, the new plans are more expensive even after the rate increases because of the perk costs yeah?

This December my phone payments "end" and I'm probably swapping both phones from Pixel 6 Pros to Pixel 8 (Pros), but I almost want to bet I'm going to have to change my plan to get the good deals. Been also thinking about the iPhone 15 Pro since they're moving to usb-c. Maybe I just do monthlies for the phones direct from Google/Apple? I will have to get both phones at roughly the same time lest the other person get jealous lol

I feel a bit screwed over by the deal I got for the Pixel 6s (due to shipping issues and a much better deal hitting 2 weeks after I got mine) so I'm definitely scrutinizing everything a bit closer this time and asking before I do anything.

I live in an area with moderately decent 5GUW coverage fwiw but I think all the new plans include that now

Yeah you want to stay on your current plans. Technically Start doesn’t include 5G UW but people don’t seem to notice.

Honestly, give me a shout when ready to upgrade and we can see what the best options are. Likely the best two times are at pre order time and also Black Friday.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so I re looked at this, and essentially her start plan is $8 more than the Welcome plan, however you got whatever phone discount, which doesn’t translate over.

I would look on your PDF bill , and see if her discount on the phone is higher or lower than $8 (if likely / hopefully is higher), and basically I think my recommendation is keep her on that plan until her phone is paid off, and set a reminder to switch plans when it is paid off.

Thanks for clarifying that. I looked at the PDF, and it's "Payment 20 of 24 ($133.32 remaining)", receiving a "Trade-In Device Promo Credit" of $33.33/month. I'll wait until the promo is up.

The other thing we were curious on were TravelPass/unlock questions.

- I currently have a rolling 12 TravelPasses saved up (1 expires, earn a new one the same month) from my 5G Get More plan. My wife has Play More Unlimited, which seems to be TravelPass eligible but doesn't accrue monthly passes. Are they tied to my line or am I able to share them when we head to Asia this fall?

- Since fall is the new iPhone season, does Verizon still have a "60 days until you can unlock, no exceptions" rule? We're both on Apple's IUP, and ran into this problem in the past of upgrading, then not being able to use a local SIM. I figured an eSIM like Airalo might have changed things vs a physical SIM for the purposes of being "unlocked".

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

Thanks for clarifying that. I looked at the PDF, and it's "Payment 20 of 24 ($133.32 remaining)", receiving a "Trade-In Device Promo Credit" of $33.33/month. I'll wait until the promo is up.

The other thing we were curious on were TravelPass/unlock questions.

- I currently have a rolling 12 TravelPasses saved up (1 expires, earn a new one the same month) from my 5G Get More plan. My wife has Play More Unlimited, which seems to be TravelPass eligible but doesn't accrue monthly passes. Are they tied to my line or am I able to share them when we head to Asia this fall?

- Since fall is the new iPhone season, does Verizon still have a "60 days until you can unlock, no exceptions" rule? We're both on Apple's IUP, and ran into this problem in the past of upgrading, then not being able to use a local SIM. I figured an eSIM like Airalo might have changed things vs a physical SIM for the purposes of being "unlocked".

-the free travel pass days are for your line only, you’re getting it as part of why your plan is $10 a month more than her line. Can’t share.

-yes, Verizon locks phones for 60 days, no more no less, and the only exceptions are military or if you purchase full retail. eSIM is also locked to Verizon for said 60 days.

It’s a hard stop policy because it’s meant as an anti store robbery, theft and also general fraud deterrent. It’s an inconvenience for sure, but it’s one policy I’m glad they have, the amount of said problems from that is crazy , Verizon stores did have an issue with being robbed at gun point (still do). Plus the amount of fraud in phones is always just crazy.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This might be the wrong thread, apologies in advance.

I'm a single parent and a few years ago registered a very distinctive, easy to remember sequential block of numbers on Google Voice for myself, my kid, and a spare in case I met a new partner and had a complete family again. I ported #1 to VZW to use as my primary and kept #2 and #3 parked in GV.

I've kept #2 active for other uses (until my kid is old enough to have a phone) but forgot to use #3 and GV pulled it back into the pool while I was distracted during the pandemic. Someone else has since grabbed it. I tried using a few carrier search tools to see if it was still on GV but am getting mixed results. It looks like it might have been ported to VZW but I can't be sure.

I've since repartnered and would really like to get it back so that if my kid is ever in an emergency and needs to call an adult, he can remember both my number and my partner's. Truth be told, I also can't remember her number and it would be helpful to me (she's game for changing).

Is there a way I can confirm the number has been ported to Verizon? I tried calling/texting once to see if the new owner would be interested in selling it back to me, but didn't hear back. I'm not sure if it's actually used or attached to a non-phone device.

I'd also like to reach out to Verizon and see if it's actually owned by a customer or in their pool and available, but I'm not sure how to ask. It'd be great if I could start a new line and get it back.

Any recommendations would be really appreciated. I'm guessing I need to let it go but am hoping someone with more carrier knowledge might have an idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

This might be the wrong thread, apologies in advance.

I'm a single parent and a few years ago registered a very distinctive, easy to remember sequential block of numbers on Google Voice for myself, my kid, and a spare in case I met a new partner and had a complete family again. I ported #1 to VZW to use as my primary and kept #2 and #3 parked in GV.

I've kept #2 active for other uses (until my kid is old enough to have a phone) but forgot to use #3 and GV pulled it back into the pool while I was distracted during the pandemic. Someone else has since grabbed it. I tried using a few carrier search tools to see if it was still on GV but am getting mixed results. It looks like it might have been ported to VZW but I can't be sure.

I've since repartnered and would really like to get it back so that if my kid is ever in an emergency and needs to call an adult, he can remember both my number and my partner's. Truth be told, I also can't remember her number and it would be helpful to me (she's game for changing).

Is there a way I can confirm the number has been ported to Verizon? I tried calling/texting once to see if the new owner would be interested in selling it back to me, but didn't hear back. I'm not sure if it's actually used or attached to a non-phone device.

I'd also like to reach out to Verizon and see if it's actually owned by a customer or in their pool and available, but I'm not sure how to ask. It'd be great if I could start a new line and get it back.

Any recommendations would be really appreciated. I'm guessing I need to let it go but am hoping someone with more carrier knowledge might have an idea.

I have carrier knowledge and an answer but you won’t like the answer.

Number is gone, no way for you to get it back even if still “in the pool.” No way to escalate it either.

This goes not just for VZ but all carriers. You can’t request a specific number anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Another question about transferring numbers - when I got my first cell phone it was on Cingular (that should date me) back when mobile phones could still have 703 area codes in the DC area. I switched from Cingular-AT&T in ~2009-2010 (I know it was around that time because I switched due to wanting the OG Droid) and I've been on Verizon ever since. Since the number has already been transferred once, albeit a long rear end time ago, would I still be able to keep it if/when I moved to another carrier?

I only ask because I remember hearing that it could only be transferred over once, but I don't know if policies have changed since then. I also don't intend on changing carriers any time soon, I just like to know things in advance.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You can transfer your number between providers as many times as you like.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SamDabbers posted:

You can transfer your number between providers as many times as you like.

Good to know - I remember it being *a thing* back in the mid-2000s.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So all the new phones have chucked expandable memory and physical sim cards.

That sucks.

How do you do international poo poo? Suck it up and pay verizon?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jaxyon posted:

That sucks.

Use international e-SIM cards?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

That sucks.

Expandable memory went away years ago.

I’ll miss physical SIMs, but eSIMs work fine.

Suck it up and do basic research is what I would say.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Sorry, I'm way behind in my tech knowledge and should have looked it up

Last time I travelled it was physical SIMs

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Sorry, I'm way behind in my tech knowledge and should have looked it up

Last time I travelled it was physical SIMs

Hey, it’s all good, and I was probably returning your post with too much snark as well.

Honestly, I’ll overall miss physical SIMs, it would be nice to have both options.

From what I hear, getting an eSIM overseas before travel is really easy, so that’s good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I used an eSIM in Italy and it was trivial to buy on my iPhone then add it. Only complaint was it was data-only, but there's options for ones with cell service, as well.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Is there an issue with Verizon Wireless across the nation? I am on a family plan and my mom sent an email saying her phone wasnt working yesterday. I live a thousand miles away and my phone also stopped working off and on as did my wifes all on Verizon. I mean it could be a coincidence but drat if that isnt a little too much considering we haven't had issues for years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Is there an issue with Verizon Wireless across the nation? I am on a family plan and my mom sent an email saying her phone wasnt working yesterday. I live a thousand miles away and my phone also stopped working off and on as did my wifes all on Verizon. I mean it could be a coincidence but drat if that isnt a little too much considering we haven't had issues for years.

Not to my awareness, but I don’t work in tech so I don’t get daily updates on that either.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not sure if this is more a Verizon question or an Apple/iPhone question - probably a bit of both.

I'm going on an international trip this weekend, and I do NOT want to use Travel Pass. It would be easier, but we're gonna be gone for 15 days, so it's just too expensive for the both of us vs. buying a local data-only eSim and using my Google Voice account in the unlikely event I need to make any calls.

Last time I did this, I completely turned off my Verizon line in the iPhone's settings and it worked fine with one exception. I thought I would still be able to use iMessage to chat with people back home since that entirely uses the data connection, but it didn't work at all. I'm guessing this is because the eSim that has the phone number associated with my iMessage account was turned off.

So this time - if I DON'T turn off the Verizon line completely, but I DO turn off "data roaming" on that line - will that still trigger the Travel Pass to activate on that line? And will that even accomplish what I want it to accomplish (still being able to use iMessage normally)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not sure if this is more a Verizon question or an Apple/iPhone question - probably a bit of both.

I'm going on an international trip this weekend, and I do NOT want to use Travel Pass. It would be easier, but we're gonna be gone for 15 days, so it's just too expensive for the both of us vs. buying a local data-only eSim and using my Google Voice account in the unlikely event I need to make any calls.

Last time I did this, I completely turned off my Verizon line in the iPhone's settings and it worked fine with one exception. I thought I would still be able to use iMessage to chat with people back home since that entirely uses the data connection, but it didn't work at all. I'm guessing this is because the eSim that has the phone number associated with my iMessage account was turned off.

So this time - if I DON'T turn off the Verizon line completely, but I DO turn off "data roaming" on that line - will that still trigger the Travel Pass to activate on that line? And will that even accomplish what I want it to accomplish (still being able to use iMessage normally)?

I honestly don’t have experience with this, so I don’t know for sure, but I would bet you’re gonna get accidentally dinged doing that. Travel pass hits when you use one bit of data, outgoing text or any answered or placed phone call, so it’s likely the phone will just mistakenly use your Verizon data.

The issue (besides dumb travel pricings) is that apple only lets you tie iMessage to one number and it sticks pretty well.

The one potential solution is to go and sign out of iMessage before traveling , turn off Verizon days, then sign in with your email only (or international number maybe). That said, even if you do it perfectly it’s gonna make it a hassle in terms of messed up text threads. But that’s how I would potentially solve it.

General fyi, I assume you are on a grandfathered plan, but the very newest Verizon plan now has travel included no travel pass or extra whatever required. But naturally , it likely is more then your current plan. But if you post your plan I can confirm that for you.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the info. I'm on the 5G plan that includes the Disney Bundle (5G Play?) for $70/month. As I understand it, the new plans are either the same price or more expensive, AND do not include the Disney Bundle, so I probably won't be switching until they force me to.

quote:

Travel pass hits when you use one bit of data, outgoing text or any answered or placed phone call, so it’s likely the phone will just mistakenly use your Verizon data.

Travel Pass sends me a text for every day it's activated, correct? I understand your concern that I accidentally get dinged, but as long as I have data roaming turned off in the Verizon eSim, AND as long as the phone itself respects that, I think I would be ok? As long as I don't accidentally answer a call or text someone that's a dirty green-bubble person? I might try it out for the first day, and if I get the dreaded Verizon "you've activated Travel Pass for today!" text, then I'll admit defeat and shut off the Verizon SIM entirely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm on the 5G plan that includes the Disney Bundle (5G Play?) for $70/month. As I understand it, the new plans are either the same price or more expensive, AND do not include the Disney Bundle, so I probably won't be switching until they force me to.

Travel Pass sends me a text for every day it's activated, correct? I understand your concern that I accidentally get dinged, but as long as I have data roaming turned off in the Verizon eSim, AND as long as the phone itself respects that, I think I would be ok? As long as I don't accidentally answer a call or text someone that's a dirty green-bubble person? I might try it out for the first day, and if I get the dreaded Verizon "you've activated Travel Pass for today!" text, then I'll admit defeat and shut off the Verizon SIM entirely.

Yeah it’s supposed to message you when you use it and I think it’s pretty consistent. So you can go for that, worst case is you pay a day of $10.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does Verizon sell anything that you can use to improve cell signal in your home? My wife works out of our basement and has been complaining about a lack of reception down there lately, and I'd rather buy some sort of signal booster (if one exists) than haul her entire office up to our spare bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

C-Euro posted:

Does Verizon sell anything that you can use to improve cell signal in your home? My wife works out of our basement and has been complaining about a lack of reception down there lately, and I'd rather buy some sort of signal booster (if one exists) than haul her entire office up to our spare bedroom.

Are you using Wi-Fi calling? Can you bring another wired router down there?