Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hawowanlawow posted:

if they were anthropomorphized I would make them sit at the kids' table

Then they would just be two commas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I'm British, and nominally well educated, and if I was quoting a full sentence that ended one of my sentences there'd be full stops on either side of the quote marks, and I honestly don't know or care if this is correct.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Punctuation isn't real. The only standard is the one language cops want to hold you to but ACAB.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

zedprime posted:

Punctuation isn't real. The only standard is the one language cops want to hold you to but ACAB.

I know right where to put that bold motherfucker, row 4, 20th from the right

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"they may peper and solt it as they plese" is such a wonderful phrase

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My screwdriver has a lightbulb inside it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Splendid posted:

My screwdriver has a lightbulb inside it.

This is much better than your light bulb having a screwdriver in it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Inceltown posted:

In case of apocalypse I bet the LED controller is on some circuit board stiff enough to turn a couple screws before it breaks.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Inceltown posted:

True, even if you're really into Screwdrivers, I imagine the broken glass is hazardous to drinking one like that

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I always thought hummingbirds lived in a completely different place than I do, it's so cold during the winter (constant -30F) and we only ever see sparrows and robins and swallows around our place, maybe the occasional bluejay and cardinal. We planted a new type of red flower earlier this year with lots of little bell-shaped blossoms, and it turns out that they not only live here but they're pretty friendly. Friendly enough to scare the poo poo out of me while standing on my patio at 7 AM because I thought a huge rear end moth was swooping me. I didn't hurt it, just ducked outta the way and yelled like a coward, and now we're bros. I stand outside looking at all the cool animals, it goes nuts over the red flowers and occasionally zooms over to investigate my floral shirts.

They also can tell when a big gust of wind is about to hit, because this little bird was just hovering around one of these flowers and suddenly landed in the soil with both wings spread out. I didn't know what it was doing at first, then a big gust rolled through and shook every branch on the nearby trees. It just waited until the gust was mostly through, went straight back up in the air and kept on trucking.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Purple trillium posted:

The UK and US have opposite rules for a quotation that ends a sentence. US puts a full stop within the quotation marks and UK puts it after.

Joe said “meet me in the square at noon.”

versus

Joe said ‘meet me in the square at noon’.

I feel like everyone in the US does it the UK way anyway because it looks neater. I stopped correcting it when proofreading stuff ages ago.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm American and do it the UK way because the American way looks like poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"I'm American and do it the UK way because the American way looks like poo poo," said a complete dipshit.

Why'd we even fight for independence?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wasabi the J posted:

"I'm American and do it the UK way because the American way looks like poo poo," said a complete dipshit.

Why'd we even fight for independence?

Because the USA only knows fight and be fat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm pretty sure the British had a headstart in both fields.

Sun never sets on your mommas rear end.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

Because the USA only knows fight and be fat.

I'm pretty sure they're good at eat hot chip and lie

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We don’t call them chips, we still have standards

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Eat hot fry and perjure

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phy posted:

I'm pretty sure they're good at eat hot chip and lie

You can't fool me, Hot Chip is music, not food

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the typewriter days, you could take a comma or period and put the quotation mark directly above it.

Doing this with a single quotation mark over a period just got you an exclamation point though.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
The interrobang is the superior punctuation mark

Fight me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Why would I fight you for speaking the truth :confused:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Fight me‽

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It is‽

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cable Guy posted:

The interrobang is the superior punctuation mark

Fight me.

the only people with strong opinions about the interrobang are literature nerds and graphic designers. If youve gotta copy-paste it off of Google then its not a real punctuation mark :colbert:

that's why I just type alt-8253 :negative:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The interrobang blurs the distinction between ?! and !?, which (as any chess nerd can tell you) mean different things. :colbert:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Powered Descent posted:

The interrobang blurs the distinction between ?! and !?, which (as any chess nerd can tell you) mean different things. :colbert:
Oh if you're worried about that we can simplify it pretty easily. Every chess move will need annotated with ?? because it is a blunder not to be playing Polytopia.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e double post

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Sep 1, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my reply to that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcEI84wMX0&t=352s (5:52)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Why is this not an official smilie‽

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Because no one's paid $30 to make it one yet‽

(Unrelatedly, in misremembering and typoing the Alt code for the interrobang, I discovered the ones for the playing card suits: ♣♠♦♥ Alt+8451-4)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why is this not an official smilie‽

dont ask me im skint

also i have no idea why it becomes a zombie in the one frame. i meant to have it be a happy smile so it goes :) :( but image editors are garbage. i can send you the xcf tho if you want

also the white interrobangs are yellow even though i explicitly chose white so thats another weird thing abougt using open source software when youre buzzed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, I'm too cheap anyway. The zombie thing is pretty funny, it looked intentional enough that I thought it was a joke on it being the horrifying version of the :confused: one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah, I'm too cheap anyway. The zombie thing is pretty funny, it looked intentional enough that I thought it was a joke on it being the horrifying version of the :confused: one.

it does look intentional but i swear i didnt do it, but thats why i decided to bother with the imgur rigmarole even tho my image editing skills failed lol

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I've spent years being annoyed at the keyboard on my Android phone because there are no left and right buttons to move the cursor and it's a pain in the rear end to try to tap the exact spot where I want it to go.

I just accidentally discovered that I can move it by swiping left or right on the space bar.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Komojo posted:

I've spent years being annoyed at the keyboard on my Android phone because there are no left and right buttons to move the cursor and it's a pain in the rear end to try to tap the exact spot where I want it to go.

I just accidentally discovered that I can move it by swiping left or right on the space bar.

I was mad at swiftkey for not having cursor arrows for a long time, until I looked in the menu and found out that they're an option :doh:
Now I have to turn the spacebar movement off just because it's so easy to trigger by accident when I don't need it any more.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I didn't realize Jimmy Buffet was still living in 2023.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

credburn posted:

I didn't realize Jimmy Buffet was still living in 2023.

I thought he wasted away years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Interobangs are bad because its too similar too an exclamation or question mark in most fonts. It only exists because someone saw "?!" and didn't like that it broke the rules of grammar.