Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i wish you could turn off the sound in TOTK when you use the wind power, that's some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The thing about Nintendo though, if you turn off the flower voices their data scientists will say "Huh according to this people hate all voices and dialogue" and then they'll like, remove dialogue from their next rpg

Sounds perfect to me. I'm sure all 3 of the English voice actors out there will get their paychecks some other way. Maybe they can use them on voice acting lessons in their newfound downtime too.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Y'all are so weird about voice acting in games.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I heard that in Dan Owsen's voice, pitched up so he sounds like a lady

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

maybealabia posted:

"This game looks great. I'm definitely going to turn off one of its new main advertised features without even experiencing it, though."
-goombas itt

SMH at all the bloopers itt who don't play mario games for their lauded voice acting

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Nintendos biggest VA misstep was giving toad some kind of throat injury, he sounded fine in mario kart 64

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mario Party toad is the best toad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtiQMto4hZM

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m definitely gonna play as Nabbit and I don’t give a gently caress that it’s little sister mode. Nabbit owns.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You are allowed to swap characters as you please in this game ala Mario 2 US, New Super Mario Bros U (or the Switch version at least), and 3D World correct (or do we not know that for sure yet)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 1, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
what is nabbit hiding under that mask

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Non Compos Mentis posted:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Non Compos Mentis posted:

His COVID infection

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think they manage just fine. I find Luigi sounds noticeably off but I'm happy that they decided to keeping going with the incredibly exaggerated Italian accent that Martinet created instead of just doing something new.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The thing about Nintendo though, if you turn off the flower voices their data scientists will say "Huh according to this people hate all voices and dialogue" and then they'll like, remove dialogue from their next rpg

Perfect, I wouldn't want anything else.

maybealabia posted:

"This game looks great. I'm definitely going to turn off one of its new main advertised features without even experiencing it, though."
-goombas itt

Options are always good, I'll probably leave them on for a while, but I like playing Mario at full blast and slowing down to listen to irreverent flowers isn't really going to do it for me.

Manoueverable posted:

Y'all are so weird about voice acting in games.

I firmly hold that voice acting in games is generally bad, and so wastes time when I can read the dialogue faster than they can poorly speak it. The only game that has any voice acting worth a drat, arguably among the best voice acting jobs ever is Disco Elysium, but games hardly ever come close to that pinnacle of excellence.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

:hmmyes:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess I agree that nintendo's internal attempts at writing have been so bad lately that they may as well not have bothered. TotK clearly just wants to be a physics sandbox but has a low-effort main quest out of tradition.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CPColin posted:

How in the hell?

They are twins. That is why.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

maybealabia posted:

-goombas itt
“feature”

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sinistar scared me as a child and so it is my mission to eliminate voice acting in video games

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The Kins posted:

A blog post on Nintendo's Japanese site says you can turn off the talking flowers voices and/or speech bubbles, although they encourage people to keep it on.

From the screenshot posted looks like you can also separately change the language of the flower voice for anyone who cares to go that route.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

maybealabia posted:

-goombas itt

correct

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What's with this stigma of talking flowers??? :haw:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It IS good to have options but I'll still think people are goombas for turning it off

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

hatty posted:

Sinistar scared me as a child and so it is my mission to eliminate voice acting in video games

RUN, COWARD

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What's with this stigma of talking flowers??? :haw:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

maybealabia posted:

-goombas itt

We did experience it though? It was in the trailer.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Some people believe you can't distill what a game is like to play just from footage, usually to dismiss criticism for a game they haven't played either. It's a pretty common argument, though of course it's flat out wrong.

Unless it's a weird genre or something very unique, gameplay videos and trailers tell you everything you need to know. We're not dealing with rocket science here but rather mass produced entertainment geared at kids. Hell they even listed the exact sequence of the worlds lol

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 1, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Everdraed posted:

honestly i've been very impressed by the voice acting, exciting to see where they take this stuff
https://twitter.com/Everdraed/status/1697386556691186045

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Some people believe you can't distill what a game is like to play just from footage, usually to dismiss criticism for a game they haven't played either. It's a pretty common argument, though of course it's flat out wrong.

Unless it's a weird genre or something very unique, gameplay videos and trailers tell you everything you need to know. We're not dealing with rocket science here but rather mass produced entertainment geared at kids. Hell they even listed the exact sequence of the worlds lol

Speaking of worlds why is there always a desert world? I get volcanos. I get ice, the gently caress with your physics or present a particularly hard challenge. But deserts? It just changes the aesthetic. I never quite got why there always had to be a desert world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Speaking of worlds why is there always a desert world? I get volcanos. I get ice, the gently caress with your physics or present a particularly hard challenge. But deserts? It just changes the aesthetic. I never quite got why there always had to be a desert world.

Deserts in platformers are associated with quicksand, blazing heat (in Mario's case the sun), cactuses and Egyptian themes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dry bowser is a good lobbyist

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Mario 3 nostalgia. SMW (the superior sequel) had no desert.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I dunno but I may be part of the problem. I always think desert levels are the best

Gerudo Valley is the GOAT. But as far as natural visual variety I think desert makes sense as a sharp counter to forest or lush or frozen areas

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

I dunno but I may be part of the problem. I always think desert levels are the best

:yeah:

it's a beautiful and interesting environment

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingSlime posted:

Also just from the trailers alone they spell out exactly what kind of dialogue chirps you're gonna get from them by design. There's nothing to them beyond spelling out what's happening on-screen as a tepid Whedonism.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

See I just think it's because it's easy. Deserts aren't wastelands by any means, but it's far easier to create than say a lush jungle environment. I think it was the tropical island aesthetic that so attracted me to DKC and Yoshi's Island. DKC3 is really cool too because it was straight up taiga, northern pine forests, which was a pretty bold move to take.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

They had message blocks as far back as Super Mario World, this isn't really anything new.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I firmly hold that voice acting in games is generally bad, and so wastes time when I can read the dialogue faster than they can poorly speak it. The only game that has any voice acting worth a drat, arguably among the best voice acting jobs ever is Disco Elysium, but games hardly ever come close to that pinnacle of excellence.

Grim Fandango still undefeated.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

They had message blocks as far back as Super Mario World, this isn't really anything new.

I think it's giving a bad impression because the dialogue is really dumb this time and the voice actor for the flower sounds weird/lovely.

It feels out of place and dorky which I guess isn't entirely off brand for a Mario game with the subtitle WONDER

I don't think it's a huge problem but it is a little off-putting

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Message blocks also had more to actually say about a given mechanic or a specific hint for that part of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The message blocks were ignorable and didn’t have a PBS kids voice