Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I have some 80s things

Clockwork Sputnik has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Sep 1, 2023

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
The Armatron in that first picture gave me memory recall so powerful it might have caused a stroke.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I have some 80s things

That looks great. I had issues with having floppy drives so close to the monitor because of magnetic interference, but I was using the 1084 monitor and the newer floppy drives. Maybe they have less shielding because they are both smaller.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sock it to me! posted:

The Armatron in that first picture gave me memory recall so powerful it might have caused a stroke.
:same:
Though in the end I'm sure I would have been bored with it after an hour, the display one at the local Radio Shack was so cool. A ROBOT ARM!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Haven't thought about that thing in a while. Did it actually work?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sock it to me! posted:

A friend had one and was disappointed they couldn't quite get it turn off its own power switch.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

stealie72 posted:

:same:
Though in the end I'm sure I would have been bored with it after an hour, the display one at the local Radio Shack was so cool. A ROBOT ARM!

It is pretty boring and limited, unless you play it like a game. Set the timer and try to stack the balls on top of the pyramids. This is made increasingly fun in adulthood where you can introduce various inebriants into the game.

lobsterminator posted:

That looks great. I had issues with having floppy drives so close to the monitor because of magnetic interference, but I was using the 1084 monitor and the newer floppy drives. Maybe they have less shielding because they are both smaller.

I think it's exactly that. I haven't had any issues with interference.

The only issue I have with it is that I had the monitor recapped and the collar around the tube is ever so slightly to the left but I don't have the necessary amount of death wish to go playing around inside it.

I'm about 2 weeks away from launching a full time Color64 BBS over IP on it. It'll run off of the original gear except for the addition of a sd2iec drive to increase speed and storage. The floppy drives will still used for modules.

The vectrex is rad and I have the cartridge that has every single game on it ever released as well as some homebrew. The only issue with it is that the "beam" that draws the text is a bit wonky. Again, I have neither the skills nor knowledge to fix it.

Apparently I really need a Colorado CRT person on speed dial.

The guitar has an interesting story:

quote:

Christmas 1986 I got my first "real" guitar (as opposed to the 300 lb off brand pawnshop Les Paul tuxedo knockoff) - A Cort Effector, a weird instrument in its own right, with built-in 'effects' as they were, some kind of Kahler/Floyd Rose knockoff trem, synthetic fretboard, imported from Korea for Sears. I loved that thing -- I learned so much on it.

In about 1990, I sold it to a friend, who later sold it to someone else, and so on.

After years of occasionally checking Ebay in vague hopes of coming across one similar but probably beat to all hell, abuse, one night in a "for no good reason" Ebay search, I found one that identical to the one I had - Which as rare as these guitars are in general -- most were made in the Explorer shape, and those in the Strat shape were typically all black, with no locking trem. Bluebursts are very rare to come by, especially in this condition, so I took a chance, and won.

When I received it, I examined it for a couple of 'tells' that would indicate that it was, in fact, my old one. It had 2 dings that I distinctly remember adding to it, but they're in common places one would expect a guitar to be dinged. It had some wood putty in the hole for the strap button on the horn, but that is also a common repair.

It wasn't until I brought it to a local tech to have the trem blocked and professionally set up, and we took the pickup mounting plate off, and discovered a tiny bit of white and yellow paint left over from when I'd "embellished" it with some non-permanent paint (as one does) that we were able to confirm that it was, with 99.999% certainty, the very one I had let go as a kid.

I've since sent it to my tech in LA and done away with the original cheap, dull sounding pickups to custom Bare Knuckle pickups, All the buttons and cheeseball 80s onboard effects now work, and all the pots replaced. Also, if you look closely the top button has been replaced with a micro 3-way pickup selector switch. It's also had new generation Schaller strap locks added, the action lowered, intonation and truss rod adjusted, everything else given a good going over and plays like butter!

Also note the strap made from the seat material of a 1985 Volkswagen GTI!

The clock is from a store in the Beverly center called Heaven. I've converted it from florescent to UV LED

And the red phone was one of my COVID hobbies where I converted it to Bluetooth. When it's on, and someone calls my cell, it rings and acts just like a landline. When you pick up the receiver you get a dial tone and can use the keypad to dial or press the * key and access Google assistant and voice dial or turn off lights, etc.

EDIT: I forgot about this;

Accutrac +6 turntable.

Absolutely the most ambitious piece of 80s tech. You can stack up to six records on the spindle, and tell it via keypad or remote (the silver orb is the IR receiver), you want to play track 4 on record 2, and then track 3 and 6 on record 5 then all of record 1, etc. I believe it can store up to twenty five commands.

Watching it work is amazing. That little silver pedestal raises up from the center and closes little arms on the spindle releasing the desired record (and those below it, leaving the remaining ones suspended, slowly descends back to the Platten and the arm scans the record for the spaces between tracks and returns to the selected track.

It is EXTREMELY amazing to watch. And very very fickle.

Clockwork Sputnik has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Sep 2, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

One of my dentists in the early 90s had a Vectrex in his waiting room. Absolute highlight of the trip.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Animal-Mother posted:

Haven't thought about that thing in a while. Did it actually work?

It was one of those things taht could be helpful but didn't need to be done as often as people think. VHS was an analog signal with no error correction, so dirt could theoretically affect the signal quality.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Dirty heads definitely have an effect. Colors will start smearing first, then the picture starts breaking up, more lines and dropouts appear, and color is lost. But typically, video tape doesn't shed oxide as quickly as audio tape does. Many recorders from the 90s also had a built in tape cleaner (which by now is disintegrating because it's made out of foam).

If you don't have a cleaning tape, you can reach the head drum very easily - you only need to remove the screws that hold the metal cover and lift it off. To clean, you can tear off a strip of printer paper (coffee filter paper is also OK), soak it in isopropanol or ethanol, and hold it against the head drum completely still. Then with your other hand, spin the drum, while only pushing the paper very slightly against the heads. Just enough to feel the heads pass along the paper. You'll probably find a faint mark on the paper after one revolution. After 2 or 3 it should not leave a mark anymore.

Don't use paper towels, cloth, and especially don't use cotton swabs. With cotton swabs it's very easy to break off the highly fragile heads.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

LimaBiker posted:

Dirty heads definitely have an effect. Colors will start smearing first, then the picture starts breaking up, more lines and dropouts appear, and color is lost. But typically, video tape doesn't shed oxide as quickly as audio tape does. Many recorders from the 90s also had a built in tape cleaner (which by now is disintegrating because it's made out of foam).

If you don't have a cleaning tape, you can reach the head drum very easily - you only need to remove the screws that hold the metal cover and lift it off. To clean, you can tear off a strip of printer paper (coffee filter paper is also OK), soak it in isopropanol or ethanol, and hold it against the head drum completely still. Then with your other hand, spin the drum, while only pushing the paper very slightly against the heads. Just enough to feel the heads pass along the paper. You'll probably find a faint mark on the paper after one revolution. After 2 or 3 it should not leave a mark anymore.

Don't use paper towels, cloth, and especially don't use cotton swabs. With cotton swabs it's very easy to break off the highly fragile heads.

In the 80's I'd run the head cleaner every few months but we rented movies constantly; and the fabric or whatever was in the cleaner tape that you put the alcohol or whatever on would get pretty dirty. I'm guessing few others were regularly cleaning their head.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In 1980s-early 90s Alberta, pretty much every single oilfield company handed out stickers for advertising with their logos and stuff like the ones in the top left, and they used to be everywhere. Pretty much every drive-thru window in oilfield towns were plastered with them.

One of the big events each year, the local chambers of commerce would put on a trade fair, where a bunch of companies in town would have a booth to show off what they do. There would be food stands and random carnival type games and demonstrations of different stuff and every booth would have swag and everybody would just go around collecting random poo poo to basically take home and throw out.

I don't know if that was a thing everywhere or just in small town Alberta. It's not quite a County fair type thing, as we had one of those as well.

Powershift has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Sep 12, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powershift posted:

In 1980s-early 90s Alberta, pretty much every single oilfield company handed out stickers for advertising with their logos and stuff like the ones in the top left, and they used to be everywhere. Pretty much every drive-thru window in oilfield towns were plastered with them.

I had a double-sided version of that same case. Held sixty cassettes, every one a 90-minute Maxell UD-XLII.

Some fucker stole it out of my '69 Cutlass in 1991.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Va1HxzD.mp4

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/1980sRewind/status/1703151377533243414?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They turned Grand Theft Auto: Vice City into a TV show?!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

And a movie! But they called it Scarface? Weird

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Phy posted:

One of my dentists in the early 90s had a Vectrex in his waiting room. Absolute highlight of the trip.

We had a Vectrex in '84 or so. Some of the games were surprisingly fun and challenging. Cosmic Chasm and Mine Storm in particular. And four buttons on the controller!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
These definitely belong here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Can confirm this is accurate.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just needs a haze of cigarette smoke.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The walls in the "what it was actually like" picture were originally white.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

CitizenKain posted:

Just needs a haze of cigarette smoke.

Definitely. Also a bookcase where the edges of the pages (up to 1cm) are yellow from absorbing those cancer sticks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

maybealabia posted:

These definitely belong here

With bonus Robot Dad!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I don't recognize what the lower-left is.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't recognize what the lower-left is.

The Secret of NIMH, Don Bluth's first animated feature. It had some creepy and intense stuff.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’ve never seen NIMH or Watership Down but I still can’t watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit? because of that scene. Well, I’d have to fast forward through it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Killer robot posted:

The Secret of NIMH, Don Bluth's first animated feature. It had some creepy and intense stuff.

I haven't seen NIMH but Bluth definitely reused that animation for the Grand Duke of Owls in Rock-A-Doodle.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I haven't seen NIMH but Bluth definitely reused that animation for the Grand Duke of Owls in Rock-A-Doodle.

Thanks for the brain blast from my childhood there.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Long after the names of all my family have faded from my mind, I'll be sitting and giggling and mumbling "adequate pipe" from a movie I probably last watched in like 1994.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I will argue that The Plague Dogs is more traumatizing than the Dip scene and Watership Down combined. It’s been nearly forty years and I still flinch at reading the Wikipedia summary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Secret of NIMH has some all-time cobweb animation.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Perhaps not as traumatizing as some, but definitely baby's first "Game of Thrones"...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This whole house used to look like that. Bathrooms, garage, closets, even the finished part of the attic. This room and the garage are the only rooms where they didn't paint over the wood, change out the doors, and replace the wood blinds.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The real tragedy is that they replaced all the brass carriage light sconces with ceiling tits.

Bonus whole-house combination radio and intercom hole. Extra bonus swiveling telecom plug. That's the exit for in-wall conduit with (right now) two wire telephone line running through it. The Google Fiber installers were able to use some of that conduit to run fiber-optic.

Notice the newer (shuttered!) power plugs. Those are there because most of the house was originally wired with aluminum. Hence, the removal of the intercom.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Circa 1989:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gonz posted:

Circa 1989:

gently caress i thought those stores were so classy