Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just a total joke of an organization

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1693774406663704717?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The linked article waits until the fifth paragraph before calling Spanfeller a "herb".

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Should have been part of the lede.

“Noted herb Jim Spanfeller has run off another EIC…”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Bishop Sycamore doc is extremely good/ridiculous/sad. Roy Johnson is one of the biggest maniacs I’ve ever seen.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Bishop Sycamore doc is extremely good/ridiculous/sad. Roy Johnson is one of the biggest maniacs I’ve ever seen.

Yeah I just watched that today and that dude is a psychopath.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Has anyone checked whether he actually interned with the Jets? Everything we learn about the guy makes me confident it's a lie, and yet my heart tells me it's true.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Tylerjoelb/status/1696140619641499945?t=zF8vxm_aK73i-h_lIMa_1Q&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

skaboomizzy posted:

Yeah I just watched that today and that dude is a psychopath.

I was shocked he actually gave an interview until i watched the interview lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Can someone tell me what state this football game took place? I'm not sure.

Also, hasn't this crap been going on for years? I think ESPN has been using auto-generated articles for MLB games and low level college games for a while and it sucks. Just the most useless poo poo imaginable to sell ads.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Can someone tell me what state this football game took place? I'm not sure.

Also, hasn't this crap been going on for years? I think ESPN has been using auto-generated articles for MLB games and low level college games for a while and it sucks. Just the most useless poo poo imaginable to sell ads.

Those are templated, so it's just filling in blanks, not having an AI attempt to write it with "flair".

Basically the same result, but people not really realizing what an LLM will be good for and what it won't be good for gives you these kinds of results.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1697610377276600458

I hope that Kevin still gets to write, because he's a really good writer

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1697610377276600458

I hope that Kevin still gets to write, because he's a really good writer

Cool for him but sucks we're going to lose Slow News Day and hearing him talk about the Orlando Magic.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

not unexpected but it seems like the ringer is losing everyone who actually writes for them and is moving exclusively to their bad podcasts.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

not unexpected but it seems like the ringer is losing everyone who actually writes for them and is moving exclusively to their bad podcasts.

I need to figure out what element of my self hatred manifests in still listening to the BS Podcast. I need better like general/national Football/Basketball Pods.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The ringer is basically this. Podcasts and list articles.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

soggybagel posted:

The ringer is basically this. Podcasts and list articles.

They still let a handful of people write every once in awhile.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Ringer will reach its final form when every article is just “Winners and Losers of [thing that just happened]”

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

xbilkis posted:

The Ringer will reach its final form when every article is just “Winners and Losers of [thing that just happened]”

Winners and losers of 10: click to see why Jeremy is a loser

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Anyone else have where the Ringer website always loads its’ A/B headlines last? I get to see both the A headline and the B headline.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ohhyeah posted:

Anyone else have where the Ringer website always loads its’ A/B headlines last? I get to see both the A headline and the B headline.

YES IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

When they got rid of jason concepcion and shea serrano i was freed of my Ringer prison, no longer to care what simmons somewhat hungrier than average golf buddy thought

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Brian Phillips still posts occasionally

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I still click on Ringer articles about basketball that google recommends. Then, if it's not one of those fake articles that summarize a podcast episode, and if Kevin O'Connor didn't write it, I read the article.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I usually find four or five articles a week to read, even if they're not on a subject I'm familiar with or even want to read. Jodi Walker trying to watch a Hallmark movie a day in the run-up to Christmas or trying all of the recipes from a biopic about a chef and nearly setting fire to her kitchen were delightful, even if she did start to go slightly mad in the last few days before Christmas. There was also a good article about the Manic Street Preacher's 'The Holy Bible' and I also discovered Deafheaven from there. There's also a hell of a lot of guff that I won't even click on though

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

morestuff posted:

Brian Phillips still posts occasionally

I love Phillips and have such fond memories of Runofplay. He's had a weird career for a universally acclaimed essayist. He fit in nicely at Grantland and but his style always felt weird at The Ringer and MTV. Defector is where he belongs but I guess there aren't too many places for that magazine style writing these days.

The Ringer is much more of a follower than a tastemaker. I get that this makes more sense for a podcast company but outside of Adam Nayman's film reviews they mostly just chase the hype rather than unearth something that demands your attention. When it started I probably checked it daily, 2 years ago a few times a week, and now maybe once or twice a month. A shame really.

BWV fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 1, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I like Kevin Clark’s writing but really hated him on podcasts. His vrabel article the other day was probably the first ringer article I’ve read in two years and it was good. He’s just so fuckin annoying

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I enjoyed their recent "cuck taxonomy" article

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I like Kevin Clark’s writing but really hated him on podcasts. His vrabel article the other day was probably the first ringer article I’ve read in two years and it was good. He’s just so fuckin annoying

Reposting from TFF and I'd very much agree on the voice, but here he is getting roasted by Phil Simms for six minutes and where was this Simms on CBS?

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1223023879532302336

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1699993667660918995

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what the gently caress is that guy and why would anyone watch that show

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Brutal: grimace emoji

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think 90% of FS1's rating number is lovely sports bars that have it on mute all day

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Here's a positive sports journalism story:

https://twitter.com/SeanRayMcClain/status/1700191240388751763#m

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

It was sad because yeah i actually played pickup at a gym where a basketball prep school practiced while they practiced sometimes so ive seen some legit nba prospects practice. I mean it is pretty funny because we're just some doofy college profs/older students playing pickup there, and two courts down it's Andrew Wiggins.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Panzeh posted:

It was sad because yeah i actually played pickup at a gym where a basketball prep school practiced while they practiced sometimes so ive seen some legit nba prospects practice. I mean it is pretty funny because we're just some doofy college profs/older students playing pickup there, and two courts down it's Andrew Wiggins.

When he was in Canada or WV?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Defector revenue is only up 15% on last year, down from like a 25% increase last year. I can't value them at any more than $200 million.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DeimosRising posted:

When he was in Canada or WV?

WV.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That’s cool. I’m from Charleston and while I was gone by Wiggins’s time I was there for the high school game that got OJ Mayo suspended for being near a ref who wanted to teach him flopping techniques

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

habeasdorkus posted:

Defector revenue is only up 15% on last year, down from like a 25% increase last year. I can't value them at any more than $200 million.

So happy for them! It only took me like 3 years, but I think I've finally broken my habit of typing "dea" into my address bar whenever I get bored at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BobSaietta/status/1701220837641093566

congratulations to Daily Beast for only now discovering what everyone's known for 15 years and playing it like it's breaking news.