Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

past few years I've thought to myself that an ff14 version of the fighting game glossary would be pro. something you could type in a term and get a concise description and possibly a link to a short clip of the mechanic. for terms with multiple uses like braindead you could expand out definitions for each use. Right now I think the best version we have of this is the Aether PF site, which is slow to update and only covers content released in Endwalker.

I can't really justify some of the terms that have become ingrained in the raiding community. right now it's a sort of, you learn it once and then you retain it, but I imagine the gap between blind prog and clear PF isn't something you can cross without popping open your browser window and figuring out what the gently caress bilibili strat in the PF description is referring to.

That would absolutely be useful but the problem is that people want to sequester information to Discord, and like so many other games this loving destroys the ability for information to proliferate or be easily accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Endorph posted:

id rate the alliance raids (ignoring endwalker because they havent been around long enough)

sometimes i will queue these outside of roulette just for fun:
puppets bunker
dun scaith
orbonne

fun:
paradigms breach
weeping city
lighthouse

fine:
rabanastre
copied factory

mostly just boring:
world of darkness
void ark

good god please dont make me run this again im begging you ilvl manipulation should result in a permaban:
labyrinth of the ancients
syrcus tower

I know you're purposefully ignoring Endwalker on this list, but I'd be curious where you'd put them. For me, I think they're both "mostly just boring" category.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

That would absolutely be useful but the problem is that people want to sequester information to Discord, and like so many other games this loving destroys the ability for information to proliferate or be easily accessible.
What is the value for sequestering that information? Would there be value in just, like, copy-pasting that stuff or would you get booted from the stratz discords for it?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

YggiDee posted:

I think that's Makeplace

Thanks friend

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Nessus posted:

What is the value for sequestering that information? Would there be value in just, like, copy-pasting that stuff or would you get booted from the stratz discords for it?

people don't want to pay for website hosting, there's no specific reason things get squirreled away on discords besides immediate convenience

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There is no value in it, unless it's people trying to run their own internet fiefdoms.

It's just what nearly every community out there does now.

You probably could just copy/paste it, but where would you put it? It all takes more effort than discord pins.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it's not really that people want to, so much as that Discord is a free and at least relatively stable place to store information. Other methods generally have sort of cost involved.

Like, yeah, I could make a blog or a wiki or whatever but that involves hosting costs and other administrative overhead. Pinning a message in Discord does not.

E:F,B

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been learning p12s p1 on black mage and there's a couple of strats for placing your leylines during paradigma 3, but it's not really named in a handy way ("fun strat?") and it's sequestered four levels deep in the BLM encounter forums on the balance discord. the expectation that you need to join the balance discord for anything beyond basic broad strats is stupid, especially when a lot of resources that are posted and pinned aren't transcribed onto their worthless website.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just got around to doing the event, man Kupo Kupo Adventure was super fun. I'd love to play a full game of it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did P10S with standard movement + auto face on, it's not hard to not fall off the bridge. Just do your GCD right before you step on the bridge and it'll come off right as you're done with crossing the bridge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chillgamesh posted:

Just got around to doing the event, man Kupo Kupo Adventure was super fun. I'd love to play a full game of it
Yeah I was playing that and was like "I would pay $3.99 to have this on my phone. Perhaps even $4.99."

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Bruceski posted:

--Line attack at all players, so they need to avoid standing in a line. Original did this in number order (Ravana), but the term also gets used for when it attacks everyone at once (Hades, Emerald 2)
these are proteans, I have literally never seen anyone call them limit cuts??????

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah those are definitely proteans. Maybe sword dance if you started raiding in Stormblood.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

the most offensive is calling an 8 person spread on cardinals and intercardinals a clock

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

aers posted:

the most offensive is calling an 8 person spread on cardinals and intercardinals a clock

Boss relative clock positions is the true calling.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Limit Cut isn't even actually the number dots mechanic in Cruise Chaser, it's a +10% damage up cast that exists in normal mode too!

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 1, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
For me it would be:

sometimes i will queue these outside of roulette just for fun:
Aglaia
dun scaith
orbonne

fun:
rabanastre
puppets bunker

fine:
weeping city
Euphrosyne

mostly just boring:
paradigms breach
copied factory
lighthouse

good god please dont make me run this again im begging you ilvl manipulation should result in a permaban:
WoD
Void Ark
labyrinth of the ancients
syrcus tower

Think the most controversial choice here will be ranking Ridorana so low. Everyone will say come on, mathbot is a top tier boss! And mathbot is a top tier boss. Math bot is one of the best bosses in the entire game. The problem is that the other 3 bosses are really bland. I actually can't even remember the first bosses name, tried to remember it but I'm stuck with demi-aquarius.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Axle_Stukov posted:

Limit Cut isn't even actually the number dots mechanic in Cruise Chaser, it's a +10% damage up cast that exists in normal mode too!

The Yanxia S Rank, Gamma, casts this Limit Cut and I always /panic when it does.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Ibblebibble posted:

I did P10S with standard movement + auto face on, it's not hard to not fall off the bridge. Just do your GCD right before you step on the bridge and it'll come off right as you're done with crossing the bridge.

I play MCH and I have to heat blast with weaves while crossing, which complicates things. What I ended up doing was just stutter-stepping across rather than trying to do it all in one motion. There’s a lot of time to get across, and I’ve never stepped off or failed to be in position for the first bonds debuff by being careful. It’s scary, but (If we stay cool, everything will be fine!)

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Are we doing adr ratings again, hell yeah.

The Best:
Dun Scaith

Really Good:
Euphrosyne
Ridorana Lighthouse
Aglaia

Good but I wish it was the above:
Orbonne Monastery
Weeping City of Mhach
Royal City of Rabanastre

Not Great:
Crystal Tower

Bad:
Labyrinth of the Ancients
World of Darkness
Void Ark

I'm leaving the raid if I see this:
Copied Factory
Puppet's Bunker
Tower at Paradigm's Breach

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Genuinely enjoy these:
Ridorana Lighthouse
Orbonne Monastery
Puppet's Bunker
Tower at Paradigm's Breach

They're not great, but at least they're quick:
Syrcus Tower
Labyrinth of the Ancients
Void Ark

They're fine:
Weeping City of Mhach
Royal City of Rabanastre
Copied Factory

They're not bad, but they're slow:
Dun Scaith
World of Darkness

I find these to be tremendously boring, bordering on extreme dislike:
Euphrosyne
Aglaia

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jalapeno_dude posted:

these are proteans, I have literally never seen anyone call them limit cuts??????

I run with idiots. (I am not an exception)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as P10S, I'm still progging it (up to Harrowing Hells as filler on another prog, my personal static is at Skulls) and I find I can do webs all right almost all of the time, but then I'll suddenly start slipping off constantly and can't tell that I'm doing anything different. The screwups come in clumps.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

except chariot/dynamo communicates quickly and cleanly because the concept of "circle aoe this big, then donut aoe with a hole the size of the circle in a variant or subsequent mechanic" recurs extremely often. not every orange circle is a chariot, it's only a chariot if it's paired with a dynamo as some type of fight gimmick. the consistency of the relative sizes and the two paired together is what makes it useful shorthand

i found extremely few people actually use chariot and dynamo for call-outs because the english language already has the words "out" and "in" to convey the same information much more clearly and cleanly

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you do mostly see them used in guides and writeups than in midfight communication

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

quote:

I find these to be tremendously boring, bordering on extreme dislike:
Euphrosyne
Aglaia

The amount of dislike for these kinda surprises me. Difficulty wise, most of the alliance raids seem to be pretty even so I rank them purely by spectacle and music and holy poo poo do these deliver in spades on both fronts.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Vitamean posted:

come play ff14 we have

limit cut
chariot
dynamo
elmo strat
spyro strat
braindead strat
jp strat
wormhole
wyrmhole

Mariokart was the one that I didn't understand for the longest time. Still hate it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

or just jump then do your gcd/ogcd. your momentum won't change direction cause of the attack. thats what i do sometimes. most of the time i just wait til i'm across because i'm a tank and i don't care about uptime

Mister Olympus posted:

except chariot/dynamo communicates quickly and cleanly because the concept of "circle aoe this big, then donut aoe with a hole the size of the circle in a variant or subsequent mechanic" recurs extremely often. not every orange circle is a chariot, it's only a chariot if it's paired with a dynamo as some type of fight gimmick. the consistency of the relative sizes and the two paired together is what makes it useful shorthand

chariot and dynamo are horrible calls because how the gently caress are you supposed to know which one is which. the words have nothing to do with what you have to do to dodge it, they're arbitrary and meaningless. just say in or out.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 1, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

The amount of dislike for these kinda surprises me. Difficulty wise, most of the alliance raids seem to be pretty even so I rank them purely by spectacle and music and holy poo poo do these deliver in spades on both fronts.

There was a bit of discussion on this in the spoiler thread, but I just am really really down on the EW alliance raids in general.

- I don't think the bosses are mechanically interesting at all. If anything, they kinda feel a step back from the NieR raids in terms of complexity.

- The bosses don't provide any challenge either. Granted, this can be said for most older alliance raids, but I've run each raid probably 5 times, most of the time incredibly stoned, and know none of the mechanics and it hasn't caused any issue ever.

- I don't really feel like there is much in the way of spectacle during the fights. The Stormblood raids still remain king in this regard IMO.

- I'm not listening to in-game music beyond the first run, so that does nothing for me.

- The biggest problem I have with the alliance raids (and this is my own particular pet peeve) is just the sense of space - there isn't any. The 8man raids are what I go when I want a bunch of disconnected boss arenas. With the 24mans, I want it to feel like I'm exploring a big space. Again, the Stormblood raids are probably the best in this regard, but all of the others still do this well - except EW. Both of the EW raids are basically disconnected boss arenas with no sense of moving through a large environment. They feel more like the Star Trek Holodeck and that loving sucks imo.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Imagine complaining about the EW raids feeling like the holodeck and then preferring Tower at Paradigm's Breach

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lisztless posted:

Imagine complaining about the EW raids feeling like the holodeck and then preferring Tower at Paradigm's Breach

The elevator ride in Tower is better than any content in the EW raids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You may be the first person I've ever seen go "You know what is missing from raids? The boring canals segment where you have to swim around from Stormblood."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

The part with two bag-of-hp enemies with precisely three simple mechanics? And I guess some slow balls thrown in at the end.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kerrzhe posted:

most of the time i just wait til i'm across because i'm a tank and i don't care about uptime
jesus dude

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want more raids to have water slides

The FFT raids are a masterpiece

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mordiceius posted:

nice bit

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Alliance raid, beach episode edition where the final boss is a convoluted volleyball match: the DPS stack damage to spike the ball and when the boss spikes it back it's a shared tank buster.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

paradigm's breach is the most hell-is-other-people raid in all of ff14. you could queue into it, leave immediately and eat a 30 minute queue restriction penalty, wait, queue up for literally any other roulette except msq, and still finish before an average paradigm's breach alliance does

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like factory and bunker but i really hate tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Tower is too long and I don't get what the final boss is supposed to be a reference to. There were no trains in Nier:Automata :confused: