Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Evacuating is pointless unless you leave early enough otherwise you're sitting in traffic as the hurricane rolls over you.

And unless you live near the water or in a trailer it's pointless as well. Run from the water, hide from the wind, and if you're gonna run you better make a hotel reservation early and bug out before everyone else because even if you do make it through the traffic you'll be driving through three states before you find a hotel with availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

The Altima is dead: https://www.thedrive.com/news/nissan-altima-will-speed-into-the-sunset-in-2025-report

I'm taking bets on which dies first in the US, is it going to be the Camry or the Accord? Probably the Accord.
I'm surprised they're killing the Altima and keeping the Maxima. Altimas are everywhere but I hardly see Maximas now days. Back in the late 90s - early 00s, Maximas were pretty popular.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

until its brought back as the "Altima E-Cross" or some poo poo
I'm wondering if it's this. It would definitely be a way to more clearly differentiate the Altima and Maxima.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 1, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm surprised they're killing the Altima and keeping the Maxima. Altimas are everywhere but I hardly see Maximas now days. Back in the late 90s - early 00s, Maximas were pretty popular.

From the article

quote:

The Altima will follow in the footsteps of the Nissan Maxima in this regard, which will itself end production this year.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm surprised they're killing the Altima and keeping the Maxima.

They're not, Maxima dies this year.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

david_a posted:

From the article

Q_res posted:

They're not, Maxima dies this year.

Well that'll teach me to not just skim the article.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It surprises me that they don't just ride out a platform until the ev replacement is here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr. Lunchables posted:

To say nothing of the lovely way you put that, I guess your area also doesn’t deserve infrastructure.

yeah man it's harsh but it's the reality of living in a very rural place. the house i grew up in still doesn't have cell phone service. there's an effort to get some form of rural broadband in to the area. it's not reasonable to expect infrastructure build out in the same way as an urban area. if we're trying to maximize ev adoption almost every single DCFC in michigan should be going in to the lower peninsula.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I have bad news for you about pipelines and all of Canadas population.

Canada is pretty funny - it's actually rather dense in a band approximately 100 miles from the US border and approximately 3000 miles long. the rest is not dense. guess where all the infra goes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:rip: Altima and Maxima, patron saints of blowing through the emergency lane at 30 over with mismatched bumpers and a broken taillight.

May your spirit live on for the next several decades in 96mo terms at buy here pay here lots.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

:rip: Altima and Maxima, patron saints of blowing through the emergency lane at 30 over with mismatched bumpers and a broken taillight.

The Nissan Rouge and Kicks are already picking up this responsibility. Nissan should offer limo tinting on the windshield as a dealer option.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

LeeMajors posted:

May your spirit live on for the next several decades in 96mo terms at buy here pay here lots.

drat!! I never thought of that. Who will be the LAST person to finally pay off their 48% interest 142 month loan Altima that they bought brand new?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah man it's harsh but it's the reality of living in a very rural place. the house i grew up in still doesn't have cell phone service. there's an effort to get some form of rural broadband in to the area. it's not reasonable to expect infrastructure build out in the same way as an urban area. if we're trying to maximize ev adoption almost every single DCFC in michigan should be going in to the lower peninsula.

Canada is pretty funny - it's actually rather dense in a band approximately 100 miles from the US border and approximately 3000 miles long. the rest is not dense. guess where all the infra goes.

My point was just that it’s a critical infrastructure pathway on an international level, not just a place with low population density.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

drat!! I never thought of that. Who will be the LAST person to finally pay off their 48% interest 142 month loan Altima that they bought brand new?

Whoever they are, I hope they have gap insurance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

My point was just that it’s a critical infrastructure pathway on an international level, not just a place with low population density.

Sure, the little bit of I-75 from the bridge to soo is for long haul international trade. Problem is that stuff isn't going EV any time soon either.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm wondering if it's this. It would definitely be a way to more clearly differentiate the Altima and Maxima.

I was having a party at my house in the mid 00s and two guys got into a huge fist fight about which one was Nissan's flagship sedan.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sure, the little bit of I-75 from the bridge to soo is for long haul international trade. Problem is that stuff isn't going EV any time soon either.

I’m talking about oil pipeline maintenance, from the tar sands straight to Toronto.

But whatever, none of this is about new cars so I’ll kill it here.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

smooth jazz posted:

if sedans are dead why is every third car i see a model 3

Alot of people are very dumb OP

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'd drive the hell out of an Accord hybrid, I miss having wicked nice fuel economy. Sure, the exterior styling kind of looks like something they slapped together late on a Friday night, but it still seems like a very sensible package for the money. I'm turning in a lease Fusion in 2 months and since Ford abandoned cars I'll probably be giving the Accord a good look.

Speaking of Ford, a new Mondeo/Taurus (depending on the continent) was driving around downtown Detroit the other day. Immediately caught my eye as I thought it was a nice looking car when it was announced. Doesn't mean anything to me though. I've seen a few cars never meant for sale here driving around these parts.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'd drive the hell out of an Accord hybrid, I miss having wicked nice fuel economy. Sure, the exterior styling kind of looks like something they slapped together late on a Friday night, but it still seems like a very sensible package for the money. I'm turning in a lease Fusion in 2 months and since Ford abandoned cars I'll probably be giving the Accord a good look.

I had one for two years and really liked it, the hybrid system makes it a very quiet refined car for lower speed driving. If you do a lot of miles at >65mph I'd maybe look elsewhere, it gets much less efficient. I'd get >50mpg routinely on my commute but mid 30's on a higher speed road trip. My only complaint was that the stock audio system was crap, despite being one of the upgraded packages. I think that's a common Honda theme though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Read about a new car? two guys got into a huge fist fight about which one was Nissan's flagship sedan.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Koirhor posted:

Alot of people are very dumb OP

Sedan market share has been dropping in the US pretty consistently for a long time. The Model Y outsells the Model 3 by about twice as much despite the $8k higher starting price.

US buyers overwhelming prefer SUVs and trucks even at a price premium over a comparable sedan. Sedans aren’t dead but they’re not very popular on their own merits either.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

As a lifelong sedan/small car evangelist that recently bought a "compact" CUV for the boring family vehicle, the sedans that have been on the market the past decade+ have been getting increasingly out of touch with what people want/need, and have been doubling down on unpopular design choices that further puts them into a popularity death spiral

Sedans of yore didn't used to have only 4 inches of ground clearance and ride like poo poo especially on anything but glassy pavement. I think "sport sedans" kind of poisoned the well, because everything then tried to become "sporty" and ruining the appeal to the everyman in the process. And I say that as a sport sedan lover and owner. Sports sedans fuckin own bones but they're not what normies want for a daily driver.

Ask regular people why they prefer CUVs over sedans and you'll hear the same handful of responses:
- easy to get in and out of due to ride height, especially important for older folks or car seats
- comfortable and relaxing ride especially on our often deteriorating roads, or unpaved roads (not offroading, just rougher dirt roads)
- taller interior space
- doesn't bottom out over every loving bump and uneven driveway
- hatch and rear floor height good for loading/unloading and sitting on when open

To say nothing of the even deader wagon style, which really many CUVs are just tall wagons in disguise, that make varying compromises trying to be more SUV-like than car-like

Sedans used to be softer, with more ride height/ground clearance, with bigger trunks and more voluminous cabin spaces. But after decades of all trying to mimic the 3-series they've made themselves irrelevant.

Plus for better or worse (absolutely worse), most of America just doesn't have the size constraints on vehicles other parts of the world do. Hence why the RAV4, CR-V, Forester, CX-5, et al., have become the new default "car" and they all more or less look alike. I did buy one of the most "car-like" CUVs around, the CX-5, which is a wonderful appliance car, but even it gets dinged in reviews for being on the smaller side of things in its segment because America.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 1, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

US buyers overwhelming prefer SUVs and trucks even at a price premium over a comparable sedan.

Alot of people are very dumb

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Sedan rear headroom has gotten significantly worse over the last 20 years, tall people used to be able to easily sit in the back of whatever compact and now it's awful because rooflines have gotten lower.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sedan market share has been dropping in the US pretty consistently for a long time. The Model Y outsells the Model 3 by about twice as much despite the $8k higher starting price.

this is especially funny because the Y is just kind of like a 3 that got stung by bees with a mild lift

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

- taller interior space

People don't give this enough credit. The exact same infant car seat that required the front passenger seat to be all the way forward in a 2007 Mazdaspeed3, fit in the backseat of a 2013 CR-V with both front seats fully back. Those are vehicles with nearly identical width, length, and wheelbase, only significantly differing in height. The CR-V felt no harder to navigate around town or into a parking spot, and the only way it fell short of the MS3 was being gutless and boring. More power is easy to solve and most people want boring anyway.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If I’m forced to give up sedans or 4 door hatchbacks I’m getting a base model land cruiser. I refuse to drive a cuv for any reason. They’re incredibly boring. Even my Jetta is more fun to drive and that’s not saying much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If I had to buy a CUV, I think it'd have to be the Kona N.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Guinness posted:

Sedans used to be softer, with more ride height/ground clearance, with bigger trunks and more voluminous cabin spaces. But after decades of all trying to mimic the 3-series they've made themselves irrelevant.

I love the aesthetics of older sedans and I get what your saying but from an average car buyers perspective who doesn’t care about the glory days of cool soft sedans what are the advantages of a traditional sedan over an suv? The suv can have the same footprint as the car but is taller which some people like I guess, and can hold more stuff. They’re all curvey “crossover” blobs now so they have decent aerodynamics and get ok mileage. They don’t handle well because they’re tall and soft, but the old fashioned sedan was short and soft and also didn’t handle well

So I think that’s why the only remaining sedans are sporty and I think they’ll always have a place. I just got a civic si and I really like it: it’s fun to drive, has a decent trunk and I can get my infant daughter in and out of the back seat easily, but if I didn’t care about how it drove why wouldn’t I get an suv?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Mental Hospitality posted:

Speaking of Ford, a new Mondeo/Taurus (depending on the continent) was driving around downtown Detroit the other day. Immediately caught my eye as I thought it was a nice looking car when it was announced. Doesn't mean anything to me though. I've seen a few cars never meant for sale here driving around these parts.

Dang that looks good. I really like this minimalist futuristic design style thats popular these days

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is especially funny because the Y is just kind of like a 3 that got stung by bees with a mild lift

I bet people watch reviews of the Model 3 and get to the trunk part and go gently caress that I'll just go for a Model Y with the hatch.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Guinness posted:

As a lifelong sedan/small car evangelist that recently bought a "compact" CUV for the boring family vehicle, the sedans that have been on the market the past decade+ have been getting increasingly out of touch with what people want/need, and have been doubling down on unpopular design choices that further puts them into a popularity death spiral

Sedans of yore didn't used to have only 4 inches of ground clearance and ride like poo poo especially on anything but glassy pavement. I think "sport sedans" kind of poisoned the well, because everything then tried to become "sporty" and ruining the appeal to the everyman in the process. And I say that as a sport sedan lover and owner. Sports sedans fuckin own bones but they're not what normies want for a daily driver.

Ask regular people why they prefer CUVs over sedans and you'll hear the same handful of responses:
- easy to get in and out of due to ride height, especially important for older folks or car seats
- comfortable and relaxing ride especially on our often deteriorating roads, or unpaved roads (not offroading, just rougher dirt roads)
- taller interior space
- doesn't bottom out over every loving bump and uneven driveway
- hatch and rear floor height good for loading/unloading and sitting on when open

To say nothing of the even deader wagon style, which really many CUVs are just tall wagons in disguise, that make varying compromises trying to be more SUV-like than car-like

Plus for better or worse (absolutely worse), most of America just doesn't have the size constraints on vehicles other parts of the world do. Hence why the RAV4, CR-V, Forester, CX-5, et al., have become the new default "car" and they all more or less look alike. I did buy one of the most "car-like" CUVs around, the CX-5, which is a wonderful appliance car, but even it gets dinged in reviews for being on the smaller side of things in its segment because America.

Ok ok ok! I will buy a Lexus ES 350h.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

CUV's are not tall wagons. They do not have anything close to the true third box a true wagon has esp these days, the sole true exception being Subaru where the Crosstrek actually is a lifted hatchback and the Outback actually is a lifted wagon with actual proper wagon-like rear load as a result

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Has there been any news about the Chevy Malibu being updated or discontinued? The current gen has been going since 2016.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Automotive Insanity: two guys got into a huge fist fight about which one was Nissan's flagship sedan.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Twerk from Home posted:

Sedan rear headroom has gotten significantly worse over the last 20 years, tall people used to be able to easily sit in the back of whatever compact and now it's awful because rooflines have gotten lower.

This is very true.

My parents bought me a used 1997 Camry as a graduation gift (scholarships :toot:). I was and am 6’3, 220+. I fit very comfortably in that car and drove it to literal pieces.

I got a 2019 Camry as a rental a few years ago when some lady totaled out my 4Runner and it had no head room, no knee room and it was a loving nightmare getting in and out of the thing because it was barely off the ground. My AW11 MR2 had more ground clearance. Granted I’m 20 years older but I’m not in much worse shape and have zero mobility issues.

My kids car seat was also a loving nightmare to get in and out of it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I really want to like the current Camry. :smith:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Full Collapse posted:

I really want to like the current Camry. :smith:

It looks good imo and I like the looks of the accord too but sedans have become so tiny on the inside. Like piloting a submersible.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Like piloting a submersible.

I sat in a mk5 Supra at the auto show this year and holy moly submarine on that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Crash structure, wiring paths, airbags, sound deadening... It all takes mass and volume that older vehicles used for performance and passenger volume.

Really, modern ICE mileage is doubly impressive when considering the greater mass today's engines are carting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Crash structure, wiring paths, airbags, sound deadening... It all takes mass and volume that older vehicles used for performance and passenger volume.

Really, modern ICE mileage is doubly impressive when considering the greater mass today's engines are carting around.

You mean the rated mileage right? Because most people are not hitting those numbers, especially if it's a heavy vehicle or has a big engine