Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

same, never liked her music much and maybe this is weird but to me she just seems like she's like...... not a person? like she's a human facsimile created by the music industry and PR pros. idk her whole public image just seems so ~managed~ it's v weird to me, tho i confess (again) to not listening to much of her music closely or following her much apart from my sister and a few friends being #swifties

this is funny in that it's the exact opposite of what a hardcore fan would say: that she's the most personable and down-to-earth celebrity of literally all time. i think it's neat that she writes most or all of her own music but all her fans that i've met are the most basic white women ever so i never really dove into the discography. the sexy baby song she put out last year is weird but catchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

goons don't understand popular thing.

yeah. I don't understand the appeal of hydrogen bonds but w/e I guess it works for some people

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

yeah. I don't understand the appeal of hydrogen bonds but w/e I guess it works for some people

Lol

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
you can tell that taylor swift is in the big leagues because goons say "i don't understand taylor swift" but they'll still admit to knowing who she is, whereas if you post about cardi b or something 10-12 goons will pop up to say "who tf is cardi b"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I get Taylor Swift. What I don't get is her popularity went from "popular" to like "most popular" musician, in the span of a few years. I'm not entirely sure what prompted her ascendance from stardom to godlike stardom.

This isn't a "I don't like her music" thing, it's a "how did that marketing happen?" question.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

I get Taylor Swift. What I don't get is her popularity went from "popular" to like "most popular" musician, in the span of a few years. I'm not entirely sure what prompted her ascendance from stardom to godlike stardom.

This isn't a "I don't like her music" thing, it's a "how did that marketing happen?" question.

she's widely seen as completely genuine by her fans and that instills a lot of loyalty. she's the biggest pop star since michael jackson, maybe even bigger, and beyond her music it's just been a process of very careful image management. the kim kardashian 'famous' drama was basically her only blemish in their eyes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nichael posted:

she took down a dude who sexually assaulted her and ruined his career.

now she's re-recording all of her albums after some dude stole her original recordings from her.

she's girl boss incarnate.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1697476730397811047?s=20

quote:

Details behind Taylor Swift's Deal With AMC to distribute her Eras Tour concert film.

1. AMC CEO @CEOAdam got a call from a mutual friend of Taylor's dad, Scott, who said that he had a "crazy idea." Apparently the Swifts weren't happy with the deals offered by several studios and wanted to bypass them directly.

2. The Swift's paid for the concert film themselves... budget between $10 and $20 million.

3. @CEOAdam negotiated the deal directly with the Swifts. No agents were involved and lawyers weren't brought in until the end.

4. The box office split is structured like this: 43% stays with the theaters and 57% of the gross goes to the Swifts and AMC.

5. After 13 weeks, the Swifts can put the film on streaming if they want.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

you can tell that taylor swift is in the big leagues because goons say "i don't understand taylor swift" but they'll still admit to knowing who she is, whereas if you post about cardi b or something 10-12 goons will pop up to say "who tf is cardi b"

cardi owns and is ftw

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the answers. I think her recent extreme rise in profile is pretty interesting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
she should do a collabo with Taylor called WASP

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

poop culture

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Nichael posted:

Kanye

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oh right. I forgot he interrupted her specifically because it just kind of exists in my brain as "I'm gonna let you finish but"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

christmas boots posted:

so the lady was anakin’s apprentice during the clone wars stuff so you’d think maybe there’s something interesting you could do with that since they both knew him on such a personal level but why would we do that? action figures go!

Wow I did not feel those vibes from that scene. It looked like 2 low level couriers passing something that one of the sides needed, with Luke Skywalker inexplicably being a low level courier.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

she took down a dude who sexually assaulted her and ruined his career.

now she's re-recording all of her albums after some dude stole her original recordings from her.

good for her

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Nichael posted:

lThis isn't a "I don't like her music" thing, it's a "how did that marketing happen?" question.

the answer (close to what I say swears said) is legit “they deliberately made the marketing happen”. honestly it took me until now to realize it but it’s close to a Dwayne Johnson situation. VERY cultivated image, always needs to look good and never weak, actually IS a seemingly genuine person, and then the machine runs itself. just like the Rock, Taylor swift the person is as much of not more of a draw than the actual content she produces in a way

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah I think it's cool that she completely destroyed the guy who grabbed her rear end and I wish it happened every day.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

1glitch0 posted:

Wow I did not feel those vibes from that scene. It looked like 2 low level couriers passing something that one of the sides needed, with Luke Skywalker inexplicably being a low level courier.

yeah, iirc she was his apprentice and then some poo poo happened and she got framed for treason and put on trial, got acquitted but was so fed up with the Jedi poo poo she bounced. while she was gone order 66 happened and anakin became darth Vader so when she shows up again years later she doesn’t know for a while that it’s him so there’s a whole thing where she finds out and it’s devestating and he tries to kill her and she only escapes because of time travel bullshit.

and now she’s met his *son* of all people who not only finally stopped him but managed to do the thing everyone had given up on and turn him away from the dark side.

I’m not saying this is high art but it’s easy to imagine the potential of finally having these two characters meet and do something with all this history they have with vader and instead it’s… this

wet fart imo

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I took my girls to see Taytay earlier in her career, back when she played guitar on most (all?) songs. She was doing one night in the entire state, and busted out multiple songs from state artists, just her and the guitar.

I’ve never seen anybody bother to do that before, was genuinely impressed.

Played really well too, not just caged or cowboy chords but the interesting things good musicians oft do where they change the fretting and slip in minors or d7 or whatever to keep it interesting.

FWIW she also called out the band member that helped her write her songs.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nichael posted:

A decade of very good marketing like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yyF31jbKo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nichael posted:

for the past decade she's marketed herself as wrongly persecuted, from Kanye to Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Demi Lovato, to all her exes (a few of whom she actively hosed with but spun it as an innocent mistake when they pointed this out). there's probably half a dozen I'm missing. she's the apotheosis of every white girl's fantasy about their own lives (and it involves righteous anger at famous black people)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

star wars chat is worse than snyder chat

both should be banned and all participants swiftly executed imo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah I think it's cool that she completely destroyed the guy who grabbed her rear end and I wish it happened every day.

this does extremely own btw. I like Taylor's music well enough, she's reliable for a hooky pop song. and it's nice that she was able to destroy her assaulter

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Taylor StarWarsift

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

indigi posted:

this does extremely own btw. I like Taylor's music well enough, she's reliable for a hooky pop song. and it's nice that she was able to destroy her assaulter

im guessing tho her music is also relatable, like because her fans have emotions, instead of just them thinking she's cool

veepfake has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Sep 1, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

christmas boots posted:

yeah, iirc she was his apprentice and then some poo poo happened and she got framed for treason and put on trial, got acquitted but was so fed up with the Jedi poo poo she bounced. while she was gone order 66 happened and anakin became darth Vader so when she shows up again years later she doesn’t know for a while that it’s him so there’s a whole thing where she finds out and it’s devestating and he tries to kill her and she only escapes because of time travel bullshit.

and now she’s met his *son* of all people who not only finally stopped him but managed to do the thing everyone had given up on and turn him away from the dark side.

I’m not saying this is high art but it’s easy to imagine the potential of finally having these two characters meet and do something with all this history they have with vader and instead it’s… this

wet fart imo

thought this was bout swift until I got to Jedi

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol foundation

"gently caress, i'm the left hand!"

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

didnt someone in this thread or somewhere say that the plot of the original magic the gathering is just some epic duel between wizards and the cards represent all the crazy poo poo they can do why cant the movie just be about that

Yea, the players were the Planeswalkers, using cards to force fantasy poo poo to do stuff for you.

But, with a few exceptions, the old sets told the story of the weatherlite saga, which still has world building to explain why phyrexia is a thing, and was cooler and cheesier in the best ways.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

for the past decade she's marketed herself as wrongly persecuted, from Kanye to Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Demi Lovato, to all her exes (a few of whom she actively hosed with but spun it as an innocent mistake when they pointed this out). there's probably half a dozen I'm missing. she's the apotheosis of every white girl's fantasy about their own lives (and it involves righteous anger at famous black people)
if she's such a girlboss, she should run for president in 2024.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

the phone recording drama was legit funny since the very first time i ever heard of swift was the "imma let you finish" interruption

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I should clarify that I also did not fail to understand that Taylor Swift is a popular musician and people would like to attend her concerts, I just didn't think that "movie-formatted recorded concert from a popular musician" was as big business as it apparently is, because those have existed for decades and are niche content

like, someone mentioned Michael Jackson earlier and I don't think Moonwalker was that big

e: I looked it up and Moonwalker had a $67 million box office in 1988 which is about $173 million in 2023 dollars, which compared to other 2023 film box office totals would put it somewhere between Scream VI and Sound of Freedom. Not bad at all really. But Moonwalker wasn't just a concert recording either, it was more like a 90-minute music video

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

kanye was right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

swift also charges like $1500 for a loving concert ticket so i can see the economics making a concert movie more viable for the normies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Popy posted:

kanye was right

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Popy posted:

kanye was right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i actually watched an illicit twitch stream from her recent tour and the event was very interactive for the fans. there are secret motions and shibboleths and costumes and things you're supposed to yell at the right time. it's a ton of inertia that probably works the same as a mild cult to get people to drop that much money. the concert was like 5 hours though

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Popy posted:

kanye was right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

swift also charges like $1500 for a loving concert ticket so i can see the economics making a concert movie more viable for the normies

It's a mark of how uniquely bourg Hamilton is/was that they didn't just tape a performance and throw it up on Netflix in like 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RandolphCarter posted:

thought this was bout swift until I got to Jedi

AFAIK taylor swift has never been tried for treason however there was a taylor swift fan account on twitter whos owner went to prison for a bit for refusing to serve in the idf.