Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

priznat posted:

LTT dropped anker as a sponsor? What’s going on there?

I like anker stuff but I hadn’t heard if there was something to be aware of

It's from when it was revealed that Anker has been lying about how their Eufy products work with regards to videos leaving your network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

priznat posted:

Anker's IoT poo poo is, well, IoT poo poo and spies and that made a big thing a while ago and they claim to have "fixed" it

Still the good cable maker/external USB power supply maker afaik

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Triikan posted:

It's from when it was revealed that Anker has been lying about how their Eufy products work with regards to videos leaving your network.

Ooh yeah that was bad. I have a couple eufy cams too, unfortunately. (They are alright cams). Their charging stuff and cables are great though.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

priznat posted:

Eufy is an Anker product that was found to be phoning home when it wasn't supposed to and had no legit reason to.

No idea if they ever fixed it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-L8vRncGw

Wade's mate James's mate Chris built Wade a dedicated dirty bud destroyer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

They can't even compose a pie chart properly

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Does that not include commercials for other companies, or is that in there? I thought it was a big part of their revenue but I guess not?

I thought it was pretty rare but the last time I heard it mentioned was a long time ago.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

gradenko_2000 posted:

They can't even compose a pie chart properly

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

priznat posted:

They bought some company making home security cameras/baby monitors and they then marketed them as really secured and some local-only.

You could access any of the cameras feeds from anywhere without authentication :)

Not sure if that was ever fixed aside from removing claims from the Anker website?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Since floatplane prices are a set subscription and people were posting earlier their sub counts, could this being 4% of the chart be used to somewhat ballpark how much money they made in 2021?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Astroid posted:

They bought some company making home security cameras/baby monitors and they then marketed them as really secured and some local-only.

You could access any of the cameras feeds from anywhere without authentication :)

Not sure if that was ever fixed aside from removing claims from the Anker website?

No idea if they ever fixed it but I recall part of the scandal being them saying they fixed it and then it turning out they definitely didn't, possibly more than once. Even by "all IoT poo poo is spying on you" standards it was comically blatant.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
They have implemented changes. The result that I can tell is that the cameras are super poo poo at detecting people now and the app got a lot less responsive. That could also be purposefully making the 2nd gen stuff shittier so you move to the latest poo poo, and none of their stuff is compatible between generations, which is a pretty big gently caress you. They also never implemented literally anything they promised they would for homebase 2 stuff, which definitely won't happen now that homebase 3 is out. Eufy product claims are lucy pulling the football at this point.

I'm moving to a completely local system, maybe one of the ones that operate on "standards" so I'm not vendor locked any more.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Triikan posted:

They have implemented changes. The result that I can tell is that the cameras are super poo poo at detecting people now and the app got a lot less responsive. That could also be purposefully making the 2nd gen stuff shittier so you move to the latest poo poo, and none of their stuff is compatible between generations, which is a pretty big gently caress you. They also never implemented literally anything they promised they would for homebase 2 stuff, which definitely won't happen now that homebase 3 is out. Eufy product claims are lucy pulling the football at this point.

I'm moving to a completely local system, maybe one of the ones that operate on "standards" so I'm not vendor locked any more.

Yeah it sucked that all the promises they made for the homebase 2 never materialized. Multiple people from sales to engineers told me in person at CES a few years ago that those features were definitely coming definitely in a few months and then nothing.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

beep by grandpa posted:

Since floatplane prices are a set subscription and people were posting earlier their sub counts, could this being 4% of the chart be used to somewhat ballpark how much money they made in 2021?

It would be a bit off, as there are different tiers, even 2 years ago, of "original" accounts that were at a lower price, then the 5 dollar ones. The 10 dollar one I think only went up in the past few months. That said, in theory, if you can find a sub number for end of 2021 (a guess as to when they based the chart off of, rather than fiscal year, because, well Linus), it could get you close.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1609468262219403264

Based on this youtube revenue was $5.5M in 2022, so total revenue would be in the realm of $25-30M plus merch growth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dylan16807 posted:

Based on this youtube revenue was $5.5M in 2022, so total revenue would be in the realm of $25-30M plus merch growth.

i mean, you did do it harder linus you hosed yourself over

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Dylan16807 posted:

Apparently growth also meant growing the number of merch plugs in a single video too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm glad the Bear is seemingly going to become another mascot PC for LGR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZlIKjYHxxs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any idea whether and when we might see some Starfield analysis from GN or HUB?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

depends on whether bethesda likes them enough to ship them an advance game key like df

i forget what the regular turnover is, but i wouldn't be surprised if they had to play it at the same time as the rest of us

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HUB will probably do one when they have the game but GN haven’t done a game specific benchmark since Cyberpunk.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it's the first game in a while that feels like it deserves it. very demanding and very popular title.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Has there even been a meaningful release that was both popular and graphically intensive since cyberpunk? Feels like all we had was a bunch of forgettable also-rans like forspoken. Not at all surprised that GN haven't bothered.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rinkles posted:

it's the first game in a while that feels like it deserves it. very demanding and very popular title.

Yeah, but that's not why they benchmark. GN doesn't give a gently caress about the game, they're using it to compare the hardware. That's why poo poo like CS:GO is still in their suite, and why they just now added Stellaris (which is hilariously good at being a single thread processor benchmark)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There’s also the Bethesda question of is this actually demanding or does it just run like poo poo on everything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but that's not why they benchmark. GN doesn't give a gently caress about the game, they're using it to compare the hardware.

GN gave Cyberpunk a buttload of coverage. They dedicated like 4 separate videos solely to it on launch week.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's why poo poo like CS:GO is still in their suite, and why they just now added Stellaris (which is hilariously good at being a single thread processor benchmark)

those are pretty typical in cpu benchmarks.

njsykora posted:

There’s also the Bethesda question of is this actually demanding or does it just run like poo poo on everything.

yeah and i'd like that answered

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One thing that confused me about GNs benchmarking video is that they're treating first-runs as aberrant data.

So far as I know, the procedure for benchmarking computers always involves reboots inbetween each run, because this ensures you're not getting caught up in any weird caching behaviour.

I'd love if they went more into their reasoning behind this, at some point.

Rinkles posted:

Based on one of the latest videos, GN values repeatable benchmarks much more than whether a specific title is demanding or not.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think it's reasonable to throw out the first run ensuring the caches are warmed up because that is largely going to be the experience of someone playing a game. They not testing CPUs and GPUs in the abstract, they're testing them for suitability/value in playing 3D accelerated games and to a smaller extent productivity tasks like decompression and 3D rendering.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Does GN watercool/AiO their testbench systems? I could see that being a good reason to toss out first results, as the loop hasn't gotten up to temp yet.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the example of throwing out the first result involved a game that performed better your first session compared to subsequent runs. it's a weird setup of the game engine not a hardware or methodological flaw

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

waffle iron posted:

I think it's reasonable to throw out the first run ensuring the caches are warmed up because that is largely going to be the experience of someone playing a game. They not testing CPUs and GPUs in the abstract, they're testing them for suitability/value in playing 3D accelerated games and to a smaller extent productivity tasks like decompression and 3D rendering.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the example of throwing out the first result involved a game that performed better your first session compared to subsequent runs. it's a weird setup of the game engine not a hardware or methodological flaw
It produced better numbers first time around, so caches are clearly not working as intended.

EDIT: So far as I know, Windows is still stuck with FIFO for its paging to disk, and while the virtual memory is supposedly LRU, it's definitely not functioning very well.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Again rebooting many times an hour is not a quality of normal computer use and it wouldn't be representative to test that way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pretty sure nobody reboots between runs. That's not a thing hardware reviewers do.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

waffle iron posted:

Again rebooting many times an hour is not a quality of normal computer use and it wouldn't be representative to test that way.
That's a fair argument, but you gotta admit it's hosed up that performance suffers when caches are supposed to be hot.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Sure, no argument on that, but that's a benchmark the studio should be doing, since it means they hosed up somewhere. There's no point in running a test as a part of a review in a way that not only will statistically zero end users ever do, it's the exact opposite of what they'll do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but that's not why they benchmark. GN doesn't give a gently caress about the game, they're using it to compare the hardware. That's why poo poo like CS:GO is still in their suite, and why they just now added Stellaris (which is hilariously good at being a single thread processor benchmark)

Speaking of, do we know yet if Starfield is good at utilizing multi core or is it also hilariously single threaded too?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDbrWmlqMw

HUB Steve will probably have a video up later today, I bet.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Does high-end benchmarking even have any real-world purpose anymore? Especially with things like DLSS?

"The 3090ti at 1440p upscaled to 4k with DLSS set to High quality with ray tracing enabled achieves an average 161 fps. In comparison, the vastly superior 4090 achieves 1440p upscaled to 4k with DLSS set to Ultra quality with ray tracing enabled achieved an average 168 fps."

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

slidebite posted:

Speaking of, do we know yet if Starfield is good at utilizing multi core or is it also hilariously single threaded too?

The 13600K is faster than the 7800X3D in starfield, which gives the impression that it likes lots of cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDbrWmlqMw

HUB Steve will probably have a video up later today, I bet.

Wonder why they didn’t go with a better CPU.

That looked a bit better for the 3060ti than I was fearing. Though it remains to be seen how well my 11600K keeps up.

I’m sure this is hard, but it’s pretty ridiculous that Arc drivers aren’t ready yet.