Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just a Moron posted:

Are they nobel prize in economics winners?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clauser
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Giaever

both physicists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

:argh: physicists! :argh:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
beginning to think people with skill and talent in their fields might not always have the best insight or opinions outside of their narrow scope of knowledge

poo poo, does this mean the captains of industry we collectively worship might actually be idiots?

no no this can't be right

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cold on a Cob posted:

beginning to think people with skill and talent in their fields might not always have the best insight or opinions outside of their narrow scope of knowledge

poo poo, does this mean the captains of industry we collectively worship might actually be idiots?

no no this can't be right

lol even people in adjacent fields or the actual field in question can have some real bad takes when money, ideology, career, or just stubbornness are on the line

see: COVID

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

corona familiar posted:

lol even people in adjacent fields or the actual field in question can have some real bad takes when money, ideology, career, or just stubbornness are on the line

see: COVID

yeah true

none of us are free of sin, etc etc

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

the idea that climate change isnt an issue because its happening naturally is so bizarre. like we put out wildfires regardless of them being started by lightning or by arson. we resist and suppress natural events all the loving time

and if a natural cycle is going to immiserate the world and lead to hundreds of millions of deaths, youd think we would try to resist that as much as possible, or at least slow it down to buy time. but no its just this bizarre fatalism and an assumption that we cant do anything at all if its a natural cycle.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

celadon posted:

but no its just this bizarre fatalism and an assumption that we cant do anything at all if its a natural cycle.

have you considered that doing anything at all will cost money that could otherwise add to the number in my bank account? thought so

it's not like it'll affect me. I'll just pay someone to insulate me from the effects, and I'll be long gone by the time the worst happens

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

im the 777 united pilot who can confirm there is no such thing as a troposphere.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I signed a letter saying anime is real, so it's real now.

I know a lot more people have signed a letter saying it isn't, but I signed my letter really hard

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Just got done watching Miracle Mile with my partner not knowing what to expect (when asked what I just put on, I said some goons in the Biosphere Collapse thread recommended it...) and had a great time. Spent half the runtime trying to recall where I'd seen various actors, and the other half wanting the Tangerine Dream score, which annoyingly isn't available streaming or on iTunes.

So, whoever brought it up, kudos to you, good goon.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

In other news, I heard we outlawed climate change as being fake and wrong and a lie, so we're all about done here. Great thread, everybody and what a vibe to end it all on. Can't wait to go back to work knowing the machine can keep on churning for, well, ever.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

celadon posted:

the idea that climate change isnt an issue because its happening naturally is so bizarre. like we put out wildfires regardless of them being started by lightning or by arson. we resist and suppress natural events all the loving time

and if a natural cycle is going to immiserate the world and lead to hundreds of millions of deaths, youd think we would try to resist that as much as possible, or at least slow it down to buy time. but no its just this bizarre fatalism and an assumption that we cant do anything at all if its a natural cycle.

the natural cycle is about speciation. one of the species got extremely overfitted to a specific set of conditions which their success upended, and now there are going to be many fewer species for a bit. it's all part of a natural cycle though

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Just noticed this on my computer lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

It's funnier, because the chuds that promote this mentality are the first to punch the air whenever humanity conquers puny nature in some form. We tamed the Colorado river, or we conquered every inhospitable biome on the planet or whatever. Oh, a bit too much heat? Gotta leave that be. It's natural and good and not a problem, even if these same dunderheads would seriously entertain nuking a hurricane to stop it if we could.

See, if we accepted that we partook in our own demise like idiots, then we'd feel something. A not good something. Also, eco-fascism climate change hoax peddlers being right means I can't have long showers and drive a V8 lifted truck, so it has to be incorrect.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

We should get rid of standby LED indicators on appliances. That will save a bundle.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Powerscolding

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

celadon posted:

and if a natural cycle is going to immiserate the world and lead to hundreds of millions of deaths,

"then we are obligated to profit off it as much as possible" - wsj opinions

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

once again, people get really mad if you discuss the consequences of our society

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

bedpan posted:

once again, people get really mad if you discuss the consequences of our society

Not me! I'll fight you over this!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i've kinda decided to spend my reading time on scifi and other fiction

we're dead, i get it. what about space glass that makes weird swamp monsters, though, that's cool

southern reach trilogy or is there a new entry in this specific subgenre for me to check out?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yes that’s a southern reach reference

gonna read gravity’s rainbow next

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

You are single handedly killing all of the coral. Good job rear end in a top hat

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
crosspost from burning man thread

dear idiot king stereotype: how will you be offsetting your emissions as penance for your crimes against the biosphere

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Didn't someone in this thread say there is no inconvenience so small that people will accept it? It might have been a covid thread instead. Funny to see examples being posted here.

Even the tiniest change in habit is just too much, especially when you can point to others making no effort at all.

ubachung has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Sep 2, 2023

starkebn
May 18, 2004

My partner wants to stop buying liquid soap, and to start using bars of soap, because the liquid soap comes in plastic bottles.

We're helping.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ubachung posted:

Didn't someone in this thread say there is no inconvenience so small that people will accept it? It might have been a covid thread instead. Funny to see examples being posted here.

Even the tiniest change in habit is just too much, especially when you can point to others making no effort at all.

People will make massive sacrifices, it just has to be in exchange for something good.

The powerful people have broken the social contract in the west and thus ruined the ability to rely on goodwill alone to achieve mass action. But the profits have been great, so who can say.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

starkebn posted:

My partner wants to stop buying liquid soap, and to start using bars of soap, because the liquid soap comes in plastic bottles.

We're helping.

its called slickdeals and you buy bars by the box

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

starkebn posted:

We're helping.

have u tried making your own soap?

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

ubachung posted:

Even if these small habit changes could actually fix anything, it seems crazy to me to suggest that consumers choose inconvenience when convenience is still affordable and easily accessible.

Why, if it's so drat important to everything, in our consumption driven system, is the burden on the consumer to have to constantly choose personally suboptimal options and not on the producer to not provide those choices in the first place?

Because personal carbon footprint is manufactured bullshit to maintain the status quo and push the guilt onto the gormless for as long as possible when the only thing that would have saved us was a total overhaul from the beginning, and constantly moralising about the personal choices and failures of consumers is just buying into that bullshit.

People will always choose the path of least resistance, the system has to be designed to ensure that path is beneficial. And that will never happen, because the system is people.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I watched Miracle Mile too, great movie, cool ending. It just keeps escalating and you know in a normal movie where it would go but it just doesn't go there.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

starkebn posted:

My partner wants to stop buying liquid soap

Mine had us switch to a kind that you make yourself by putting a tablet in a glass soap dispenser with water. I think it's called blueland and it's not terrible.

Way better than bar soap at any rate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Even if these small habit changes could actually fix anything, it seems crazy to me to suggest that consumers choose inconvenience when convenience is still affordable and easily accessible.

It's also absolutely doomed to fail in the long term because people who can't afford sustainable options won't buy them, and people who can afford them will eventually - sooner or later - become people who can't.

Inflation has been painted as a quirk of the Ukraine war, which is true, but it hides the deeper truth that when cheap energy runs out, inflation is going to just keep going up and push billions into poverty. Those impoverished masses aren't going to buy bamboo toothbrushes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Just got done watching Miracle Mile with my partner not knowing what to expect (when asked what I just put on, I said some goons in the Biosphere Collapse thread recommended it...) and had a great time. Spent half the runtime trying to recall where I'd seen various actors, and the other half wanting the Tangerine Dream score, which annoyingly isn't available streaming or on iTunes.

So, whoever brought it up, kudos to you, good goon.

That was me :hfive: Glad you enjoyed it. I didnt see until a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It's so strange it bombed so hard that it virtually disapeared from movie libraries entirely

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

moana posted:

Also, when society collapses and countries can't source oil we'll go back to burning coal and make things even worse.
I haven't read the book yet but yeah ive said that this is a likely outcome. Our entire global civillization, small to big, is resting on load-bearing pillars of massive gobs of oil consumption to keep everything running (and consuming). if/when oil starts to get hosed up for various reasons, there's going to be a big turn to burning more coal to keep the AC/Heaters/Fertillizer production/etc running

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Lol in <10 years we are going to go from this useless poo poo to admonishing users for the waste heat their machine is producing

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

toggle posted:

i knew it!

did they mention anything about mammals breathing too much?

Only other mammals breathing is a problem. Ours is good though

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

just kinda taking this all in this morning, from the bleating "THIS IS SO IMPORTANT UPVOTE FOREVER" swarm of blue checks (and the pending Elon "interesting!"), taking exactly 2 second to confirm that this is complete codswallop fabricated by the petroleum industry and these winners:

and yeah, i just kinda wanna start screaming at people on a street corner, i get it now. i see how that happens.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ubachung posted:

Lol this stuff is all imposed guilt to make you feel bad about your life. Worse you feel about your basic needs, less you'll think about all the freshwater fountains on rich peoples' estates that never turn off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Ah that's too bad. We were so close to fixing everything!