Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

I rewatched Elvira's Mistress of the Dark this afternoon and uh that hasn't aged that well. I remember loving it as a kid but just recently rewatching it wasn't that impressed with it.

I had to double-check but this is libel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just didn't really vibe with it. I loved it when I was like 10 years old and like that ending scene is still burned into my brain but just didn't like it as much as when I was a kid.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's a tad bit slow and not as funny as I remembered. Still the classic bits are still classic. Childhood brain fog.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's certainly a specific type of goofy comedy that you have to be in the mood for. There are definitely nights where I wouldn't be into it but also there are nights where it's the exact mood I'm looking for.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hollismason posted:

I rewatched Elvira's Mistress of the Dark this afternoon and uh that hasn't aged that well. I remember loving it as a kid but just recently rewatching it wasn't that impressed with it.

There’s no such thing as a bad opinion except for this one, sorry.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nice, I'm not the only one. I never saw it as a kid, and back then I only knew Elvira through her intros on ThrillerVideo tapes and cultural osmosis. I watched MotD a couple years ago and yeah, wasn't into it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It still has a spot in my favorites but yeah not gonna put into rotation of endlessly rewatchable

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I'll defend this take. The first half, when she's doing "kids rool, adults drool" stuff vs. the town while accidentally summoning demons is fun as hell, but the final act where it's just bad effects and dumb action is pretty lame, she isn't any fun when she's just slinging spells and heaving bazookas (literal, unfortunately) against an old dude in a robe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Feel like I'm losing my mind regarding The Crow: City of Angels. There's two slightly different versions of this movie available officially: The theatrical version which has been released on home video, and a "director's cut" that was also released on home video that only has a few differences and despite the designation had no involvement from the film's director.

There's also the mythical PPV version which, while certainly not 3 hours long like some people claim, had a few slightly longer versions of some scenes and a significantly different ending.

Now I never saw the PPV version of this, but like, burned into my brain is the scene where Thuy Trang sings a bit from "Hush little baby" and shoots our hero's kid. And indeed this scene is available in fan edits of the movie and IIRC among deleted scenes on home releases of the movie too.

But it's burned into my brain like, in high quality, finished, part of the movie movie proper when he has a flashback of this about halfway through. But that mid-movie flashback is only in the theatrical and faux-director cuts of the movie which don't have this part so how the gently caress is my brain remembering it like this.

Or does anyone know of a fan edit where this scene is more restored and also not placed at the beginning of the film like it typically is?

I love how this movie looks so much, I want to be in the time line where it actually got released per what Tim Pope was going for back in the day.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

I like jump scares but feel they get to overused in modern horror.

Agreed. It feels like some horror media throw a bunch of jumpscares in and call it good rather than put in some effort for tension or shock. For example, the Five Nights at Freddy's games really didn't do it for me because they were jump scare reliant. I'm interested in the lore and the setting, but it's not enough for me to go for the games. However, the upcoming movie, I'm all on that soon as it hits.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The thing is that 'jumpscare' can describe some of horror's most inventive and varied moments where the horrible and grotesque unexpectedly intrudes on the narrative and shatters the audience's expectations and comfort,

and this very specific, rote, overplayed device with strict parameters where a tense stillness and silence is followed by a SFX sting accompanied by sudden movement and a scary face getting in your face, which is essentially part of the genre's universal punctuation at this point.

Leatherface's first appearance is a masterwork jumpscare, even though he ducks into frame from a distance rather than very suddenly appearing in extreme close-up like we've been conditioned to expect from lazier movies / video games about killer robot bears. Jumpscares can be incredible, they just get a bad rap from the lowest common denominator.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pretty much the same crew worked on most of the first seven Saw movies, so what the gently caress was with the scene transitions in part IV out of nowhere? Like a guy throws a woman through a window of an apartment building and on the other side is a hallway at the police station.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Definitely watch that TCM scene. Aside from some mysterious squealing, the character calling for his friend, and the thud of the hammer, it's silent. The tension is earned from the mundane tone of the film so far juxtaposed with the sudden, raw brutality. There's not an ear-splitting musical sting. There's no shaky cam shot with Leatherface running directly up to the lens and mugging for the camera. These eras of jump scares are so far apart it's like comparing Robert Johnson at the crossroads to the stock bar band music used in a light beer commercial and saying "See? It's all the blues!"

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Has anyone here watched Halloween Wars on Food Network? It's a good 'background noise' show to put on when it airs in September/October.

The problem is it used to be a decent show because they would always get a guest judge from the world of horror to come on and pretend to know anything about cake, so you'd have people like Rob Zombie or Sig Haig come on and endure bad jokes from the hosts. The last few season though they switched formats so now it's "Zak Bagans' Halloween Wars" who I guess is some doofus from one of those ghost hunting shows, and every episode he brings out a piece of junk he picked up at a yard sale, tells the story of why it's "haunted," and that has to be the inspiration for the creations that episode.

Except he doesn't even appear in studio, he just shows up on a TV screen that they wheel around. That guy is such a dweeb doing his best to act like a master of the occult.

They got rid of the guest judges entirely so now it's just 3 people they pulled off of other food network shows. Also they got rid of the pumpkin carving part of the competition which was the best part.

Thank you for listening to my rant about Halloween-themed trash TV

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would like to see a horror-themed TV show where they feed "paranormal investigators" into one of those big grinders they use to dispose of diseased livestock.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think with those Food Network Halloween shows they probably feel like they've been doing them so long that they have to mix up the formula a little bit. And they're probably wrong about that but that's typically how network executives think.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

I would like to see a horror-themed TV show where they feed "paranormal investigators" into one of those big grinders they use to dispose of diseased livestock.

Something where like a bunch of kids in a small town are fed "paranormal investigator" meat mixed in with the regular local stuff but due like mad cow disease it has no immediately noticeable effect on them til they're all adults like 20 years later and gain a variety of paranormal abilities but no one believes them because cannibalizing scammers giving one ESP 20 years later makes no sense but then someone figures out that [occult technobabble with angry spirits or whatever] causes that to happen and then the grown up kids have supernatural adventures.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Basebf555 posted:

I think with those Food Network Halloween shows they probably feel like they've been doing them so long that they have to mix up the formula a little bit. And they're probably wrong about that but that's typically how network executives think.

Yeah probably, it was the one-two punch of eliminating the guest horror judges while adding in the ghost hunter guy just killed the show. Like replacing Michael Myers with Corey Cunningham

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Deadite posted:

The last few season though they switched formats so now it's "Zak Bagans' Halloween Wars" who I guess is some doofus from one of those ghost hunting shows, and every episode he brings out a piece of junk he picked up at a yard sale, tells the story of why it's "haunted," and that has to be the inspiration for the creations that episode.

He's probably entirely shameless about doing anything for a buck to stay relevant so they can pay him a lot less for his time. I imagine it's less bullshit for real horror people to just go to conventions.

Also the target demo for these shows is probably boomers like my dad who think Ghost Adventures is gripping television but have no stomach for actual horror flicks.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

And I mean no disrespect to people who can't stomach horror, but there's probably much more of a venn diagram overlap between Ghost Adventures fans and Food Network than posters itt and Food Network if I had to guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Pretty much the same crew worked on most of the first seven Saw movies, so what the gently caress was with the scene transitions in part IV out of nowhere? Like a guy throws a woman through a window of an apartment building and on the other side is a hallway at the police station.

He was having fun and trying something new

That transition was cool

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Neo Rasa posted:

Something where like a bunch of kids in a small town are fed "paranormal investigator" meat mixed in with the regular local stuff but due like mad cow disease it has no immediately noticeable effect on them til they're all adults like 20 years later and gain a variety of paranormal abilities but no one believes them because cannibalizing scammers giving one ESP 20 years later makes no sense but then someone figures out that [occult technobabble with angry spirits or whatever] causes that to happen and then the grown up kids have supernatural adventures.

Then it cuts to Tom Waits rhythmically hitting a cowboy boot with a dead raccoon while crooning “MEAT your maker…”

Roll credits.

Seriously, Shudder or somebody, call me. This idea has legs, and those legs have spooky claws on them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why do you think they're called the Saw movies? so when something like that happens your buddy is like "whoa, did you see that?" and you go "yeah, i Saw it"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Those transitions were so loving sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zELat_lzJqo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I remember he wasn’t going to do 4 but things happened and he ended up doing it so he just went whatever gently caress it let’s have fun.

4 is the only one I kinda like besides 1 honestly for that reason. It feels fresh

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The people making Saw movies stopped asking why and started saying why not after Saw 3 and we are all better for it

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

You're right, I DO love goopy things!

Hell, make a version of that with wrestling replacing Ghost TV and you have me in a nutshell!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

If I remember he wasn’t going to do 4 but things happened and he ended up doing it so he just went whatever gently caress it let’s have fun.

4 is the only one I kinda like besides 1 honestly for that reason. It feels fresh

That stretch of the series is probably where it was most important that they had the same producers all the way through(until Spiral). Because Bousman sets up the Hoffman character in Saw 4, but that's the last one he directed and a new guy comes in for Saw 5 and then another new director for 6 and 7. It would've been very easy for the new directors to just drop Hoffman and start over but 5, 6, and 7 are so much better than they otherwise would've been if they didn't have Hoffman. I'm sure the producers were a big part of making those decisions.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You're right, I DO love goopy things!

Hell, make a version of that with wrestling replacing Ghost TV and you have me in a nutshell!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, "casually namedrops obscure weirdos" absolutely belongs in wrestling too. Wrestling fans love nothing more than Remembering Some Guys.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Plus the original venn diagram with Ghost TV still works for wrestling goons because we put up with endless bullshit. Very good either way.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

We're doing it boys, we're reaching perfect synthesis...

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

:discourse:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

lmao

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

:laffo:

Perfect.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This is an attack

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

What am I... what am I lookin' at here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Class3KillStorm posted:

What am I... what am I lookin' at here?

One of the segments is a mirror, you just have to look hard enough.