Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

seaborgium posted:

That I could live with, but I let out a loud "MOTHERFUCKER" when it happened.

Yea, me too.

Although, after making that post I just realized that He died on a horn. My shitpost has at least a modicum amount of tangible evidence!

pik_d posted:

The big distinction is that Perrin's visions are of the past while Min's are in the future, but it does make sense that they'd reflect each other, especially in a visual medium. I'm also convinced this is the shows way of combining the Wolfbrother stuff with sniffer stuff. There's no real need for both things when you can't have 2,800 named characters.

It can easily tie into tel'aran'rhiod through the wolves still. Min is seeing how the pattern plays out. Perrin is seeing reflections of what already happened through the dream world. That's my guess anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Give Perrin more poo poo why not. Dude had zero character development in S1 besides being mopey and scowling.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Haven’t watched yet. Do the Seanchan have Texas accents or not?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

RandolphCarter posted:

Haven’t watched yet. Do the Seanchan have Texas accents or not?

Hell yes they do

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

pik_d posted:

Hell yes they do

Awesome. Will try to watch tonight.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

pik_d posted:

The big distinction is that Perrin's visions are of the past while Min's are in the future, but it does make sense that they'd reflect each other, especially in a visual medium. I'm also convinced this is the shows way of combining the Wolfbrother stuff with sniffer stuff. There's no real need for both things when you can't have 2,800 named characters.

I hadn't put any thought into it until reading this but now I'm thinking of all the ways they could try to visualize Perrin smelling something on a TV show and they're all hilarious, so thank you

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Chomposaur posted:

I hadn't put any thought into it until reading this but now I'm thinking of all the ways they could try to visualize Perrin smelling something on a TV show and they're all hilarious, so thank you

Perrin smells Faile, a little red angry devil Faile pops up over her shoulder for a split second, before a calm and serene angel Faile shows up instead, but it's wearing bondage gear

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I'm a little iffy on the flies/dinnertable scene. It's iconic and obviously they wanted to make sure to make it a centerpiece of that episode, but I feel like the execution ended up being a little generic. Like oh so he saw what went on here in a ghostly vision, like at the scene of the massacre earlier? And just like Min saw around Mat I guess? Are those the same kind of thing? Okay

In the book that scene is so weird and singular it feels like it deserved a bit more imaginative treatment than it got. it's hardly even memorable as more than just "one more thing that happened"
That scene is cool in the book but it also doesn't really relate to anything else except to create a creepy mood. Makes sense that in a TV show it will be faster and also set up something else, in this case set up that Perrin has Weird Powers.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
OK wait I'm on episode 3 and the QUEEN of Cairhien?? I'm done throw it in the trash <:mad:>

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

OK wait I'm on episode 3 and the QUEEN of Cairhien?? I'm done throw it in the trash <:mad:>

Thom had already been and gone

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LIandrin Theory.

We're going to see her turn to the shadow in the show. She's going to be severely punished for almost killing Nyneave, and a Black Ajah member is going to reach out to her and basically say "Hey, we can get you out of this punishment, we just need you to get Nyneave and Egwene to Falme" and she's going to agree.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

LIandrin Theory.

We're going to see her turn to the shadow in the show. She's going to be severely punished for almost killing Nyneave, and a Black Ajah member is going to reach out to her and basically say "Hey, we can get you out of this punishment, we just need you to get Nyneave and Egwene to Falme" and she's going to agree.

I don’t buy that. We have her either playing Aes Sedai games with the oaths or blatantly on-screen lying about the Mat Cauthon letters. And if it’s the former, the show needs to point out specifically that she didn’t technically lie. What happened was obvious enough that even non-book-readers picked up on it, so if she isn’t already dark it’s a writing misstep.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Also holy poo poo Liandrin's evisceration of Mat. That actually hit me personally a bit lol

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I predicted this at the end of season 1. Cairhien and Caemlyn just merged into one city for the show, all plots between the two remixed together. It makes a lot of sense, production-wise, and when you sit down to do the bookkeeping, it doesn't really require that much major changes to the story, especialy considering how wildly divergent from the books they've already shown themselves willing to be in other areas.

Edit: It wouldn't shock me if they also merge Illian and Tear.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'll need to watch it again, but it looked like the Great Serpent ring seen under the table in the opening had a really dark stone, and when Liandrin is palming the bottle of herbs her ring looks to have the same dark stone. I could be wrong, but add that to her ranting to Nynaeve about all the power she could wield and, well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

St0rmD posted:

I predicted this at the end of season 1. Cairhien and Caemlyn just merged into one city for the show, all plots between the two remixed together. It makes a lot of sense, production-wise, and when you sit down to do the bookkeeping, it doesn't really require that much major changes to the story, especialy considering how wildly divergent from the books they've already shown themselves willing to be in other areas.

Edit: It wouldn't shock me if they also merge Illian and Tear.

these episodes have a new main character constantly telling us about how she's from Caemlyn and specifically establishing its relationship to the Two Rivers. meanwhile Rand is doing wholly separate things in Cairhien, which they went out of their way to show us is all about political scheme and great house competition. how are they merged

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

I don’t buy that. We have her either playing Aes Sedai games with the oaths or blatantly on-screen lying about the Mat Cauthon letters. And if it’s the former, the show needs to point out specifically that she didn’t technically lie. What happened was obvious enough that even non-book-readers picked up on it, so if she isn’t already dark it’s a writing misstep.

At around the same time we have Verin on screen saying "We both know there are loopholes around the oaths" so if someone's not picking up that playing aes sedai gently caress gently caress word games is on the table, that's on them.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

St0rmD posted:

I predicted this at the end of season 1. Cairhien and Caemlyn just merged into one city for the show, all plots between the two remixed together.

I believe both cities have been explicitly mentioned by name as of the end of episode three. Cairhien, of course, has also appeared visually.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Also where was Verin/Adeleas's house shot? The scenery was stunning.

They've had a good variety of architecture and landscape so far.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Health Services posted:

They've had a good variety of architecture and landscape so far.

Puglia, Italy

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Health Services posted:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Very happy another false dragon was mentioned. That is a book change they would not work. They need both false dragons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grundulum posted:

I believe both cities have been explicitly mentioned by name as of the end of episode three. Cairhien, of course, has also appeared visually.

Yeah, Elayne went to pains to point out that she's the princess of Caemlyn (and that Andor is the most powerful nation and that Egwene is technically her subject).

Not a lot of elision of place-names going on, honestly.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The first season also called out Tear specifically for Siuan and an Illianer called-as-such early in season 2, right?

Characters merge, places no.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chomposaur posted:

Also holy poo poo Liandrin's evisceration of Mat. That actually hit me personally a bit lol

It's ok because we all know she's wrong and Mat is a hero and brave and strong and my friend

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I really liked it. They fuckin got me with Nynaeve's 3rd trial ending early.

I still don't like Perrin's actor, I dunno. Unless he's a genius and setting himself up as the Jon Snow of the show who can't close his mouth, and sympathetic dumbass for the Battle of the Emond's Field

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Barreft posted:

I still don't like Perrin's actor, I dunno. Unless he's a genius and setting himself up as the Jon Snow of the show who can't close his mouth, and sympathetic dumbass for the Battle of the Emond's Field

Well, the books did kind of establish "everyone thinks Perrin is a big meathead" as a big part of his character before the return to Emond's Field, and apparently that includes the audience in the show. Full disclosure, I found all of Perrin's chapters to be the most tedious, until Sanderson took over.

I do have some doubts that the guy they cast is going to be able to live up to the character that Perrin becomes, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Perrin had some good moments through the return to Two Rivers and then dropped off a cliff until Sanderson took over

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, Elayne went to pains to point out that she's the princess of Caemlyn (and that Andor is the most powerful nation and that Egwene is technically her subject).

Not a lot of elision of place-names going on, honestly.

That part was pretty funny, Egwene looked pretty confused about "There's a queen for the Two Rivers?" I thought they should have played that up a bit.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

seaborgium posted:

That part was pretty funny, Egwene looked pretty confused about "There's a queen for the Two Rivers?" I thought they should have played that up a bit.

Elayne seemed *very* stoked to meet someone who didn't know who she was.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Barreft posted:

same here, all the weird fast forwarded fragmentary imagery and the memory loss made it seem like they were going in some very different direction. got me!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yup, things have diverged from the book so much that I 100% thought she walked out until Lan showed up.

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch because I binged all three and zoned out a bit in places.

I absolutely love what they're doing with Liandrian and I have no idea if she's a darkfriend or not. As others have already said, there are plenty of loopholes in what she told matt.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

One thing that kind bugged me is the idea that Nynaeve is ten times as strong as Egwene. It just seems like messing up the world building for some manufactured jealousy drama.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

Nion posted:

One thing that kind bugged me is the idea that Nynaeve is ten times as strong as Egwene. It just seems like messing up the world building for some manufactured jealousy drama.

This is more or less book accurate, though I don't think the exact number 10 appeared in text.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nion posted:

Manufactured jealousy drama? In my Amazon Prime presents Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time? Well, I never! That makes no fewer than three instances, after the Laila/Egwene/Perrin love triangle thing from S1E1, the Perrin/Rand/Egwene love triangle thing from S1E7, and now the Nynaeve/Egwene thing from S2.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also Holy gently caress the TV show is HORNY

Just constantly sex

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also Holy gently caress the TV show is HORNY

Just constantly sex

RJ would approve.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Not enough spanking :colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Manufactured jealousy drama? In my Amazon Prime presents Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time? Well, I never! That makes no fewer than three instances, after the Laila/Egwene/Perrin love triangle thing from S1E1, the Perrin/Rand/Egwene love triangle thing from S1E7, and now the Nynaeve/Egwene thing from S2.

What love triangles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Loel posted:

Not enough spanking :colbert:

The "You'll get switched on your shoulders" is something that would have made him frown...well, maybe.

All of the threesomes and Alanna's horniness getting cranked up to 11? Lots of hot middle aged and older women? You know he'd love that.