Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Bondematt posted:

Some printer brands like Bambu you are locked to using their sliced file formats, which neither of the above support.

Not Bambu, but some other brands sure. Bambu works fine with everything, but the workflow is just easier with Bambu Studio or OrcaSlicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hey thread, just got my first FDM printer (Neptune 4) and after dealing with resin printing for the last 4 years it's been a pretty painless setup and first print process. I am however wanting to dial in my settings, and frankly the variables with Klipper can be overwhelming. As a visual aid below here's 3 hollow miniature bases that were printed. They all used the same STL file.

Base C was printed by a company locally, I don't know they're machine or settings but it was in PLA.
Base A was printed with no skirt, and with the solid side printed directly on the plate.
Base B was printed with a skirt, from the walls up to the top of the solid side.

A and B were printed with the default profile, which is 200°/60° nozzle/bed and 150mm/s speed which seems slow for the printer but again, these are literally my first prints after the buddha included so I'll go by what the slicer suggests. I'm happier with the top results of B on the side where models will be getting glued, but I'm not sure why the weird spaghetti effect is happening. A looks like it's getting fused somehow, and there was warping in the walls and since it's a base I need it to do one job: be level and flat. Basically I'd like to get as close to C's results as possible.

Some questions:
Am I popping these off the plate too soon, and should I let them cool a few minutes before removal?
Is there a walkthrough of issue corrections (visual if possible) similar to exposure test settings like a resin printer?
How important are rafts for geometric shapes like these (since it was kind of a pain in the rear end getting it off and I actually damaged one of the sides of B getting it off)?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Search for the Ellis guide and go through that.

It's a systematic approach to getting good prints.

Edit: https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Man, sirayatech blu is such a pain in the rear end to work with. Doing an engineering print for a client and I suggested blu because of strength, but it just has supports failing constantly. That and it's so viscous that I lose a ton to washing it after the fact.

Contacting him and swapping over to some smokey black build. I've had way more luck with that stuff...

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!
Specifically look at the First Layer Squish section. Your nozzle is too close to the bed for A and too far from the bed for B.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Feeling quite disappointed with the UK's 3D printing scene on Etsy. It's challenging to find unique models that aren't overly abundant and priced so low. I once had a successful stint selling printed jibbit packs for £10, only to see someone undercut me down to £4!!
I realise the solution is to craft my own designs, but it is really difficult to come up with something that proves to be popular and not have it cloned within a few months.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm setting up my brand new Sovol SV07 and I can't figure it out. First, I'm supposed to tighten the bed down all the way, then back off 2 turns in each corner, which I've done. I'm supposed to use a sheet of paper for the Z Calibrate. According to the documentation, I'm supposed to move the nozzle down until it just contacts the paper and it's hard to slide the paper in and out. Well, I've gone down all the way I can adjust it on the touchscreen and the nozzle is nowhere close to the paper. What should I do? This Sovol isn't impressing me so far.

And what about the accelerometer they gave me as a part? According to the book, it can be installed in either of 2 locations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Vier posted:

Feeling quite disappointed with the UK's 3D printing scene on Etsy. It's challenging to find unique models that aren't overly abundant and priced so low. I once had a successful stint selling printed jibbit packs for £10, only to see someone undercut me down to £4!!
I realise the solution is to craft my own designs, but it is really difficult to come up with something that proves to be popular and not have it cloned within a few months.

The answer to this is also to just put out a quality product and make a point of it.

There are people on there constantly under cutting me in canada, but I sell for what I sell, and don't mail out garbage

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kid sinister posted:

I'm setting up my brand new Sovol SV07 and I can't figure it out. First, I'm supposed to tighten the bed down all the way, then back off 2 turns in each corner, which I've done. I'm supposed to use a sheet of paper for the Z Calibrate. According to the documentation, I'm supposed to move the nozzle down until it just contacts the paper and it's hard to slide the paper in and out. Well, I've gone down all the way I can adjust it on the touchscreen and the nozzle is nowhere close to the paper. What should I do? This Sovol isn't impressing me so far.

And what about the accelerometer they gave me as a part? According to the book, it can be installed in either of 2 locations.

I don't have an 07, but the basic procedure has always been the same for their other printers - home the axes, run the auto leveling routine, home again, and then tweak the Z offset (which is where the paper comes in).

I did find this video, it's by a fairly active member of the Sovol FB group who does a lot of good things and has a lot of good knowledge. I haven't watched it all the way through, but hopefully it can help answer some of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYWFMb-3QeU

(edit) - If you're trying to move the Z axis down manually before doing an auto-home, you may not be able to hit the bed at all. A lot of printers with ABL don't allow you to run Z down more than a little bit prior to knowing exactly where the bed surface is, and letting the Z probe find it with the auto-home routine is generally the way it does that. It's to help prevent crashing the nozzle into the bed.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 1, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Acid Reflux posted:

I don't have an 07, but the basic procedure has always been the same for their other printers - home the axes, run the auto leveling routine, home again, and then tweak the Z offset (which is where the paper comes in).

I did find this video, it's by a fairly active member of the Sovol FB group who does a lot of good things and has a lot of good knowledge. I haven't watched it all the way through, but hopefully it can help answer some of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYWFMb-3QeU

(edit) - If you're trying to move the Z axis down manually before doing an auto-home, you may not be able to hit the bed at all. A lot of printers with ABL don't allow you to run Z down more than a little bit prior to knowing exactly where the bed surface is, and letting the Z probe find it with the auto-home routine is generally the way it does that. It's to help prevent crashing the nozzle into the bed.

Too late. I think I already had a head crash. Keep in mind I've only been trying to do the start up calibration and the printer did this on its own:

Am I screwed?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

kid sinister posted:

Too late. I think I already had a head crash. Keep in mind I've only been trying to do the start up calibration and the printer did this on its own:

Am I screwed?

Where is your actual bed surface? Looks like that’s the magnet meant to hold a spring steel sheet?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Where is your actual bed surface? Looks like that’s the magnet meant to hold a spring steel sheet?

Over to the side. I put it back after this.

Now when I try to do the Z tilt, the printing head just goes back and forth until the screen says "retries aborting: Probed points range is increasing."

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm happier with the top results of B on the side where models will be getting glued, but I'm not sure why the weird spaghetti effect is happening.

That’s bridging. The printer has to print in thin air if you don’t use supports, and if your settings aren’t dialled/you don’t have good enough cooling, it can make bridging look a bit messy.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I had a few gouges like that in my magnet base and it was fine. Obviously it's better if there isn't a gouge but a spring steel removable printing surface is stiff enough to cover it up. I ran like that for a long time. Eventually picked up a new magnet sheet at some point when I was ordering other stuff and I can't tell the difference.

Dents in the steel sheet are another thing. You can print around them sometimes but if you have to print over the damage, it's apparent in the end product.

Sorry I don't know anything about the sovol and fixing the actual issue.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finished up a couple Spider-Man 2099 helmets today. I love these models with the textures built into them. Saves me from having to do any painting and they turn out awesome.

Both printed on the P1P with a .6 nozzle.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Nr7RAb4

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Finally! I got it printing from the examples on the included USB drive :toot:

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 1, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

kid sinister posted:

Over to the side. I put it back after this.

Now when I try to do the Z tilt, the printing head just goes back and forth until the screen says "retries aborting: Probed points range is increasing."

Is the proximity sensor damaged or disconnected? If it crashed into the build plate that leads me to think there was a problem with the proximity sensor not detecting and then it kept going.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is the proximity sensor damaged or disconnected? If it crashed into the build plate that leads me to think there was a problem with the proximity sensor not detecting and then it kept going.

I did a factory reset and that seems to have taken care of it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Vier posted:

Yeah what w00tmonger said, long as you're putting out good stuff people will come. Plus I'm not sure how much people really shop around on Etsy, I have stuff that's more expensive than others but people still buy, I think people just see something they want and go for it.

My biggest sellers by far are mini packs though. Since they're so easy to do, I've been selling bulk packs of ~10-20 supportless minis for 40 bucks and I've probably sold a few hundred sets easily. My print cost on them is like 2.50

I have some like dnd party bundles I do too of 5 supportless minis for 16.00 and they sell like loving hotcakes too.

I love supportless minis

Edit: so it took me from Aug 2022 to june 30 2023 to do 1000 sales. I just did 540 from July 1 to Aug 31. So loving busy

queeb fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 2, 2023

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I hate that I am selling the flexi dragons and trexes like people never saw them before. I am trying to focus on parts kits and other' higher end' stuff

I love this model, and I spent the 24+ hrs printing it in color. But damnit even though I have good flush volumes bambu studio decided despite almost 1:1 poop and a prime tower, AND going into infill, that the black of the eyes would band around the pink head

drat. This was supposed to be the high end to my solid color paintable one. I really don't want to up the flush, there is already so much waste.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 2, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mattfl posted:

Finished up a couple Spider-Man 2099 helmets today. I love these models with the textures built into them. Saves me from having to do any painting and they turn out awesome.

Both printed on the P1P with a .6 nozzle.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Nr7RAb4

You're not helping!!!!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

:lol:

In other news, I made my first Benchy and already had my first bad print! My first custom creation, not Benchy. It came detached from the bottom and the head just dragged it around.

My kids already discovered that Benchy doesn't float. Good model, bad boat. I will admit it now, Benchy is NOT stupid.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

queeb posted:

Yeah what w00tmonger said, long as you're putting out good stuff people will come. Plus I'm not sure how much people really shop around on Etsy, I have stuff that's more expensive than others but people still buy, I think people just see something they want and go for it.

My biggest sellers by far are mini packs though. Since they're so easy to do, I've been selling bulk packs of ~10-20 supportless minis for 40 bucks and I've probably sold a few hundred sets easily. My print cost on them is like 2.50

I have some like dnd party bundles I do too of 5 supportless minis for 16.00 and they sell like loving hotcakes too.

I love supportless minis

Edit: so it took me from Aug 2022 to june 30 2023 to do 1000 sales. I just did 540 from July 1 to Aug 31. So loving busy

I think the amount of sales also factors into how many people want to take a chance on your store. Some of those resin print mini stores on Etsy have thousands of sales, so I can imagine that they rank higher on searches based on rep.

...at least I assume that's how it works.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Alright, I need help. My first custom print and it keeps snapping off the bed. I admit, it's narrow at the bottom, maybe 10mm. It was the only flat part of my model. Does anyone have some ideas?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Brims!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

So just add a cylinder to the bottom? How do I get it off later?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
What slicer are you using? It should have an option for adding a brim and you may be able to specify what type (like Outer Brims Only, Outer and Inner Brims, etc) and also what size. This will automagically add a single layer thick brim around your model that will (hopefully) help keep it stuck to your bed. Once your print is done you just peel it off, maybe clean up the edge with a hobby knife if you really need to do so.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kid sinister posted:

So just add a cylinder to the bottom? How do I get it off later?

There's sometimes an air gap setting in your slicer that is configurable. You can peel 'em off, they're not too strongly adhered to the actual print.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

BlackIronHeart posted:

What slicer are you using?

Cura.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Cool, so even if you have it set to Basic settings you should still see 'Build Plate Adhesion' as a category. With Basic settings you'll only be able to specify Brim as the Build Plate Adhesion Type but there are many settings in there such as a checkbox for 'Only on the Outside' (which I recommend), the brim width and distance from the model. I use 0.1mm as my distance so the brim isn't stuck to the model overly much.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the input and I'll be running the calibration sequences tomorrow. Does anyone have opinions about Lychee's FDM slicer? I love it's SLA one but I know it's a new player in the FDM field.
The one Elegoo provides is just a reskin of Cura which seems kind of pointless when instead they could of just had a profile spec sent out.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
How do I get the fancypants wifi working on my Sovol SV07?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so this is just the one little mini set I have up:

230 sales of it at ~2.50-3.00 resin cost

I think this thing is gonna sell bonkers as we get near christmas so i've been printing a ton of them

Rad-daddio posted:

I think the amount of sales also factors into how many people want to take a chance on your store. Some of those resin print mini stores on Etsy have thousands of sales, so I can imagine that they rank higher on searches based on rep.

...at least I assume that's how it works.

100% true, the more sales ive gotten the faster they have come in

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 2, 2023

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

queeb posted:

so this is just the one little mini set I have up:

230 sales of it at ~2.50-3.00 resin cost

I think this thing is gonna sell bonkers as we get near christmas so i've been printing a ton of them

100% true, the more sales ive gotten the faster they have come in

Nice work! Definitely outpacing me by a bit

Of note for anyone looking at this. Etsy takes a big chunk and doesn't really lend itself well to having a ton of infrequent listings

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Vier posted:

I don't generally do sales on Etsy so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, but how much time do you spend on marketing? Organic traffic can be fickle and leaves you vulnerable to these issues. It's never going to stop hurting to have people undercutting you, but you can mitigate the damage by driving more traffic directly to your listings. This has the added benefit of driving more organic traffic because now you're ranking higher compared to those sellers going for quick cash grabs.

Again, I'm not an Etsy expert by any means, but I have an okay amount of general ecommerce and SEO experience and a very common pitfall is to assume that just using a sales platform means you get to focus 100% on your core business without marketing. Sometimes you get lucky and you really can snowball on just organic growth, but that's not going to be enough for a lot of people.

edit- and just to be clear, marketing in this context means understanding your platform as well as possible. It's easy to think "oh no I'm being undercut" when what's actually happening is that other stores know how to manipulate the platform to drive more views to their listings.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 2, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

w00tmonger posted:

Nice work! Definitely outpacing me by a bit

Of note for anyone looking at this. Etsy takes a big chunk and doesn't really lend itself well to having a ton of infrequent listings

yeah its easy to forget etsy scoops like 30c + their percentage off a sale, so people listing stuff really cheap arent making much money. I have a couple of minis up at like 4.11 but thats just so they show up cheap on listings and then people click in and go "oh poo poo i can get 5 minis in a pack for 16 bucks instead of just one for 4.11" lol

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

The answer to this is also to just put out a quality product and make a point of it.

There are people on there constantly under cutting me in canada, but I sell for what I sell, and don't mail out garbage

I do like to think that I am putting out quality prints, I have an X1C for FDM prints and make sure that anything I send out is as flaw free as can be for an unprocessed 3d print.
I also have a 4k SLA printer but that is spending most of its time idle.

queeb posted:

I love supportless minis

Are you supportless minis SLA prints? And are there better places to pick them up than myminifactory?

Paradoxish posted:

I don't generally do sales on Etsy so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, but how much time do you spend on marketing? Organic traffic can be fickle and leaves you vulnerable to these issues. It's never going to stop hurting to have people undercutting you, but you can mitigate the damage by driving more traffic directly to your listings. This has the added benefit of driving more organic traffic because now you're ranking higher compared to those sellers going for quick cash grabs.

Again, I'm not an Etsy expert by any means, but I have an okay amount of general ecommerce and SEO experience and a very common pitfall is to assume that just using a sales platform means you get to focus 100% on your core business without marketing. Sometimes you get lucky and you really can snowball on just organic growth, but that's not going to be enough for a lot of people.

edit- and just to be clear, marketing in this context means understanding your platform as well as possible. It's easy to think "oh no I'm being undercut" when what's actually happening is that other stores know how to manipulate the platform to drive more views to their listings.

I have Etsy ads running and I have tried to make sure all of my listings have a decent set of relevant keywords and descriptive titles.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

AlexDeGruven posted:

Posted about this project over in the CAD thread, but I thought I'd bring this here for some more exposure.

I'm putting together a "I suck at art, but here's an interesting gimmick" 3D printed Settlers of Catan set. I decided to go with a generic 80's no-name brand aesthetic

Late to this, but one of the brands in canada is literally called "No Name" and you could riff off of that
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Vier posted:

I do like to think that I am putting out quality prints, I have an X1C for FDM prints and make sure that anything I send out is as flaw free as can be for an unprocessed 3d print.
I also have a 4k SLA printer but that is spending most of its time idle.

Are you supportless minis SLA prints? And are there better places to pick them up than myminifactory?

I have Etsy ads running and I have tried to make sure all of my listings have a decent set of relevant keywords and descriptive titles.

I think Etsy ads are a scam and don't run them, and still pull in hundreds of visits and views a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BadMedic posted:

Late to this, but one of the brands in canada is literally called "No Name" and you could riff off of that
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)

Yeah, that looks like a straight Arial, which was one of the contenders.

Right now I'm printing each of the resource tiles in Arial Narrow and a smaller Times Upper Bold that's closer to the size of the lower case pieces.