Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
:actually: that's not technically true, you can also go up indefinitely with the skyscale combo'd with the glider boost. This works even better now with the extra skyscale masteries. And of course in real traversal situations (outside of soto maps where the griffon actually works pretty well) you can walljump with the skyscale and it's only a little slower at going up than the springer. The real advantage of the skyscale is that it replaces all mounts except the beetle for most purposes. I use both, but I use the skyscale a lot more.

But yeah, it's a lot easier to go up quickly on the skyscale, and a lot easier to go down quickly on the griffon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can dismount/mount the griffon in air so you can use upstreams by dismounting the griffon, gliding and taking the updraft, and then mounting again. You can use a springer to easily scale the tallest mountains, and then you can hyper-zoom anywhere from there, and if you're good rapidly discover every POI.

Using a skyscale is just lazy and doesn't feel great imho whereas the griffon is fun, and fast, and getting around engages you. Skyscale seems like it's for people who really want the FF14/WoW style flying mount.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

jokes posted:

You can dismount/mount the griffon in air so you can use upstreams by dismounting the griffon, gliding and taking the updraft, and then mounting again. You can use a springer to easily scale the tallest mountains, and then you can hyper-zoom anywhere from there, and if you're good rapidly discover every POI.

Using a skyscale is just lazy and doesn't feel great imho whereas the griffon is fun, and fast, and getting around engages you. Skyscale seems like it's for people who really want the FF14/WoW style flying mount.
As much as I like the GW2 mount system in general, the Skyscale is the worst one to compare to other MMOs, because the standard WoW flying mounts are better by comparison (i.e. not losing height on long distances and ability for an infinite ascend).

I am very happy I unlocked the Griffon after I got the Skyscale, as it really shines in the new maps once the traversal masteries are unlocked.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 1, 2023

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Every time I find myself at a really high point on a map I have a giddy moment of realization, mount griffon, and go zoom. Griffon is awesome.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Griffin is the best meat glider for sure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kung fu jive posted:

Every time I find myself at a really high point on a map I have a giddy moment of realization, mount griffon, and go zoom. Griffon is awesome.

I use griffon and roller beetle as much as possible because I like to go fast. I use skimmer on water, springer for vertical ascent, and raptor when I'm traversing ground that isn't amenable to roller beetle/griffon shenanigans.

I only really use jackal and skyscale when I absolutely have to.

They really need to introduce a better mount selection system than manually assigning hotkeys. Like a native radial wheel or something. Using a bunch of different mounts is really fun and exciting.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jokes posted:

I use griffon and roller beetle as much as possible because I like to go fast. I use skimmer on water, springer for vertical ascent, and raptor when I'm traversing ground that isn't amenable to roller beetle/griffon shenanigans.

I only really use jackal and skyscale when I absolutely have to.

They really need to introduce a better mount selection system than manually assigning hotkeys. Like a native radial wheel or something. Using a bunch of different mounts is really fun and exciting.

Blish has a radial wheel plugin for mounts, it's fantastic.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also if you’re not using the mount stamina boost Jade Bot you’re doing it wrong

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Bunny is the only mount that skyscale truly obsoletes. I still use all the other ones pretty regularly. Well, save for jackal since I never had any use for it whatsoever in the first place and the turtle cause lol.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
This feels like the g-funk era all over again. We are all regulators and therefore must mount up.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Neutron posted:

Bunny is the only mount that skyscale truly obsoletes. I still use all the other ones pretty regularly. Well, save for jackal since I never had any use for it whatsoever in the first place and the turtle cause lol.

I believe the springer's dismount attack still does the most breakbar damage, so at the very least it's still good for engaging bosses. Also, the jackal's dash is able to follow the ground on an incline, unlike the raptor which just comes to a halt, so it's good for going up ramps and stuff

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

404notfound posted:

I believe the springer's dismount attack still does the most breakbar damage, so at the very least it's still good for engaging bosses. Also, the jackal's dash is able to follow the ground on an incline, unlike the raptor which just comes to a halt, so it's good for going up ramps and stuff

turtle with rider does like 5x as much defiance damage as cannonball

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kinda hate the leyline mount mastery. I can't see them when I'm swooping across the map, then suddenly, I'm ripped half-way across the map in the wrong direction.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
The only mount I don’t have is the turtle because I stopped at the step that required a strike mission. I have been a day one player and have never done a strike mission. Crippling anxiety or… :shrug:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

another day, another horrible acitivty in the pve dailies!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Electric Hobo posted:

I kinda hate the leyline mount mastery. I can't see them when I'm swooping across the map, then suddenly, I'm ripped half-way across the map in the wrong direction.

This is why I didn’t grab it, and I instead simply dismount and use my glider if I really need to gently caress with a ley line.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i want to get off mr. leyline's wild ride

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Deformed Church posted:

another day, another horrible acitivty in the pve dailies!

A bunch of people had turtle mounts and were cheesing people through it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

CubicalSucrose posted:

Saw a mesmer with a commander tag advertising in map chat that they'd do ports for gold and then there was someone with an open turtle seat at the gate just doing it for free and that felt really good to watch happen

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

CubicalSucrose posted:

Yeah, that's how I did it. Not really sure that's the intention with putting activities in though, kind of just a different kind of broken.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

The only mount I don’t have is the turtle because I stopped at the step that required a strike mission. I have been a day one player and have never done a strike mission. Crippling anxiety or… :shrug:

You can get the egg by doing the DE meta instead

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

You can get the egg by doing the DE meta instead

You have to do a strike to birth the turtle from the egg.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

MajorBonnet posted:

You have to do a strike to birth the turtle from the egg.

Ohhh yep, was getting mixed up in my optional steps. But looking at the wiki, they now give the alternative of paying imperial favour and research notes instead of the strike mission.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What's a strike mission

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
How do I, an idiot, get into fractals in 2023? I've been playing this game off and on since launch and that's one piece of content I haven't really touched at all.

Done a handful of the level 1 fractals but it appears there are never groups out there in order to run them and get my agony whatever's.

Is there some new way this is done or is it just private discords or something now? These legendaries I wanna craft need stupid fractal things.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Mostly just getting the ascended gear and slotting +9 agony in every slot until you reach 150, then do recommended dailies for potions and use the potions in T4, if you can just skip past the T2-3 fractals straight to T4 do so.

Things will be easier if you can play any support boons, power dps is also meta for 99% of fractals but supports decide how well things go usually and are in shorter supply.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Someone else can do a real effort post about it, but if all you want is the legendaries that need Fractals, all of those can be done in the first tier. What I did for Astralaria is I kept a list of what Fractals I needed and when one came up on the daily I found a Tier 1 group advertising they were doing dailies and just did them all. I think maybe the upper most levels of T1 need a little agony resist but rings and amulets should be all you need for those.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

SweetJahasus posted:

How do I, an idiot, get into fractals in 2023? I've been playing this game off and on since launch and that's one piece of content I haven't really touched at all.

Done a handful of the level 1 fractals but it appears there are never groups out there in order to run them and get my agony whatever's.

Is there some new way this is done or is it just private discords or something now? These legendaries I wanna craft need stupid fractal things.

The vast majority of lfg groups run the fourth tier of fractals so it'll definitely be a bit harder to find groups as you're getting into the content, but I'd think you should still be able to find leveling or T1 groups. Using external communities may help find things faster though.

In terms of actually getting into the content, you'll need to build out a full set of ascended gear, and fill that out with the agony resist infusions. It's not really needed for the first tier, but as you go to higher levels you'll need more to not die instantly to specific agony mechanics. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony_Resistance is a good place to start to at least see what's needed, but from what I remember, you basically can buy enough of the infusions to get to T3 with just gold. From there it'll just be learning the maps and getting some of the currency and drops needed to upgrade your ascended trinkets to have additional slots for the agony resist. (assuming your end goal is doing t4s)

If you're just doing them for legendary collections, you may have some success just posting LFGs for the specific things you're trying to get and there'll likely be other people there for the same reason. And as other posters have mentioned, you can do those at T1 which will not require any agony resist/infusions.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

jokes posted:

Using a skyscale is just lazy

Bit of a weird dunk - when I want to get from A to B with minimum fuss, of course I'm going to use the least-effort way to do so! Flying around on the griffon can be fun and fast, but for some things it's just extremely awkward. It doesn't give the same movement as the skyscale, they're for very different purposes. You don't have to pick one or the other, you can use both.

SweetJahasus posted:

Just because this isn't obvious - buying AR infusions outright from the TP is not significantly more expensive than crafting them from +1s.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Beware that groups under T4 are notoriously bad in fractals - or they were a couple years ago. In general you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel of GW2 players, and as anyone who’s run ArcDPS can tell you, that barrel is very very dark and very very deep.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

how though

unless you're weaver or like engi there just aren't that many buttons

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Life finds a way.

Skip straight to T4 groups if at all possible if you want the fastest and most reliable way to get your big fractal rewards.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

SweetJahasus posted:

How do I, an idiot, get into fractals in 2023?

Might've changed since I last played much, but you could announce "x for babby fractals" in guild chat and get a full group pretty quickly

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hello Sailor posted:

Might've changed since I last played much, but you could announce "x for babby fractals" in guild chat and get a full group pretty quickly

Yeah, loads of us are happy to run babby fracs. The dailies take no time at all and it's a reliable way to make some gold.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Progressing through this story, and I feel like it's less "Wizards: no sense of right and wrong" and more "I'm not sure I believe in your intense dedication to mitigating the harm caused by your actions, because if you really felt that way you probably wouldn't have done all this insane poo poo in the first place."

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SweetJahasus posted:

How do I, an idiot, get into fractals in 2023? ... there are never groups out there in order to run them and get my agony whatever's.

I detest manual group making in MMOs but when I was getting into fractals last year I would just make my own group and put "new" or "learning" in the title. Never had a problem with anyone who joined, sometimes it was other new to fractals players, sometimes a giga-geared super speed engineer would show up and blast the entire thing while running non stop.

There was only one fractal I had to bail on due to time constraints because we could not get the boss mechanic down, but most of them were very easy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Rand Brittain posted:

Progressing through this story, and I feel like it's less "Wizards: no sense of right and wrong" and more "I'm not sure I believe in your intense dedication to mitigating the harm caused by your actions, because if you really felt that way you probably wouldn't have done all this insane poo poo in the first place."

I think it's the primal maguuma island but on one of them the wizard says to you, "we should help because we're partially responsible"
My dude! You are wholly responsible in the worst way!

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Humerus posted:

I think it's the primal maguuma island but on one of them the wizard says to you, "we should help because we're partially responsible"

"We're all trying to find the guys who did this"

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Humerus posted:

That's a cue for rescuing the Garenhoff villagers. Who are under attack by elementals. You know, the elementals Isgarren enslaved to serve the same villagers at the original Garenhoff in Kessex Hills. And now there's a wizard magic duplicate town with presumably all the same people except now they're being repeatedly slaughtered by angry elementals, forever.

No sense of right and wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Ohhh yep, was getting mixed up in my optional steps. But looking at the wiki, they now give the alternative of paying imperial favour and research notes instead of the strike mission.

Oh wow, I didn’t know that you could do the alternative. Gold and imperial favor are things I have in spades so I’m off to buy some exalted armor from the TP. Thanks!