Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

Tower is too long and I don't get what the final boss is supposed to be a reference to. There were no trains in Nier:Automata :confused:

there were in my copy. the one with the secret door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

a cartoon duck posted:

paradigm's breach is the most hell-is-other-people raid in all of ff14. you could queue into it, leave immediately and eat a 30 minute queue restriction penalty, wait, queue up for literally any other roulette except msq, and still finish before an average paradigm's breach alliance does

One of the things I really like about FFXIV is the predictability of the roulettes in terms of how long it will take a reasonably skilled party to complete. If I queue for a dungeon I know it's going to take 15-20 minutes, sometimes less. Trials/normal raids are gonna take me 10 minutes, often less, unless it's A9N or maybe A11N.

ADR is the only roulette where you could get Syrcus Tower and be done in fifteen minutes, or get Tower at Paradigm's Reach and be done in like an hour. It's bonkers, and I'm skeptical that ilvl thresholds in the next patch will fix that problem.

(also not killing off MSQ roulette when they had the chance was an unforced error, even if I like the end result)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

Tower is too long and I don't get what the final boss is supposed to be a reference to. There were no trains in Nier:Automata :confused:

It's a reference to Drakengard where the final battle ends up in Tokyo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sorry, but the EW raids are bad and boring. Nothing can help this. I loathe having to rerun them for the drat triple triad cards.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mordiceius posted:

There was a bit of discussion on this in the spoiler thread, but I just am really really down on the EW alliance raids in general.

- I don't think the bosses are mechanically interesting at all. If anything, they kinda feel a step back from the NieR raids in terms of complexity.

- The bosses don't provide any challenge either. Granted, this can be said for most older alliance raids, but I've run each raid probably 5 times, most of the time incredibly stoned, and know none of the mechanics and it hasn't caused any issue ever.

- I don't really feel like there is much in the way of spectacle during the fights. The Stormblood raids still remain king in this regard IMO.

- I'm not listening to in-game music beyond the first run, so that does nothing for me.

- The biggest problem I have with the alliance raids (and this is my own particular pet peeve) is just the sense of space - there isn't any. The 8man raids are what I go when I want a bunch of disconnected boss arenas. With the 24mans, I want it to feel like I'm exploring a big space. Again, the Stormblood raids are probably the best in this regard, but all of the others still do this well - except EW. Both of the EW raids are basically disconnected boss arenas with no sense of moving through a large environment. They feel more like the Star Trek Holodeck and that loving sucks imo.

You're the complete opposite of me. If I could go back in time and stop myself from even starting up the ivalice raids so they don't end up my roulette pool I would. On the other hand I could run the EW raids forever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Awesome! posted:

jesus dude

Our static has DPS in spades so it's ok if kerz has only 97-98% uptime as a war. Mechanics matter more than a purple parse sometimes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

You may be the first person I've ever seen go "You know what is missing from raids? The boring canals segment where you have to swim around from Stormblood."

I loved that canal segment. I read the notes and everything! I was getting progressively madder as it took me like 8 runs to finally get sent to the middle path.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Somehow in all my time playing this game I never stepped into the bacon lasers on the second boss of Doma. Did so today (thought towers were coming up, it was a stack, and I flinched before thinking). Turns out they knock you back when they blow so I pinballed between three of them.

Thought I was hosed, but it turns out they do very little damage. Glad I could give my group a laugh.

Also, first time healer trip report: the difference between levels where everyone has tools and things are going well and the levels where nobody does and things are going badly are SO MUCH less stressful. I have ways to heal people other than hardcasting a Cure II and hoping they stop standing in stuff long enough for it to go off!

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 1, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mordiceius posted:

Sorry, but the EW raids are bad and boring. Nothing can help this. I loathe having to rerun them for the drat triple triad cards.

Ok but do you like literally any piece of content in this game or are you playing out of obligation at this point

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I would like more mounts where you become the mount instead of riding on it. I would like more animals to transform into as mounts. I sometimes miss my WoW druid's flight form.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 1, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Feldegast42 posted:

Ok but do you like literally any piece of content in this game or are you playing out of obligation at this point

What?

Just because I don't like the EW raids doesn't mean that everything is terrible. I just think that the current 24man raid series, thus far, is the worst one they've done.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Are you confusing them with Cleretic? Don't feel bad, I do too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think Aglaia and Euphrosyne are cool looking spectacle but Euphro in particular is just too easy. If the third one is Orbonne or Breach level pain I'll be happy

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

hazardousmouse posted:

Are you confusing them with Cleretic? Don't feel bad, I do too.

yeah, probably.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Probably not a griefer, newbies have no idea there's another phase. Learn to do mechanics and stop blaming the sprouts.

when they do it repeatedly and have ilvl 600 gear, they're a griefer, :thanks:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

paradigm's breach is the most hell-is-other-people raid in all of ff14. you could queue into it, leave immediately and eat a 30 minute queue restriction penalty, wait, queue up for literally any other roulette except msq, and still finish before an average paradigm's breach alliance does

Red Girl is probably an even bigger raid killer than pre-nerf Cidolfus at this point. Figuring out the LoS for all the meteors, dealing with the spinning clones, and figuring out where the gently caress you're supposed to plant yourself during the forced movement section so that you don't either wipe your party or run straight into the killplane is a lot for a single fight where half the raid probably hasn't done it in a year+.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nophica still regularly nukes half the raid with the forced movement phase after Landwaker, but it's true that the rest of Euphrisyne isn't exactly hard. I guess we'll have to wait for a month or so and see what the Thalia raid is like.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Speaking of difficulty, how hard should I expect the new alliance raid and dungeon to be? Cause I have been watching a patch retrospective series on youtube and it mentioned how brutal HW alliance raids (other than void ark) and some hard mode dungeons like Sohm Al were at release.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

I think Aglaia and Euphrosyne are cool looking spectacle but Euphro in particular is just too easy. If the third one is Orbonne or Breach level pain I'll be happy

This is my opinion as well.

Algaia has some good surprise mechanics the first run as well. I’m sad that apparently the scales mech is now skipped though because it’s the big setpiece of the fight.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Speaking of difficulty, how hard should I expect the new alliance raid and dungeon to be? Cause I have been watching a patch retrospective series on youtube and it mentioned how brutal HW alliance raids (other than void ark) and some hard mode dungeons like Sohm Al were at release.

The dungeon should be very easy, the alliance raid will be clearable with 24 blind idiots as usual. Don’t worry about it. A lot of the HW on content hardness was due to really bad balance at the time and the devs specifically avoid that now.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 1, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Nothing will really be that hard and you'll be able to clear any of it through the duty finder.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like majority of the issues I have with the EW raids are just the characters/setting. I don't find them engaging at all.

I assume this is how many non-NieR fans felt about the NieR raids.

I'm happy for the people who like them. I just hope that the DT raids are more interesting.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I like the EW raids for the scenery and music, and the movement of the fights is fun, but they are probably easier than they should be. If they mixed some of the mechanics together more often instead of having them be one at a time, I feel like that would probably put it in a good place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Edit: I've had a horrid day and am lashing out. Sorry.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 1, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

HackensackBackpack posted:

I would like more mounts where you become the mount instead of riding on it. I would like more animals to transform into as mounts. I sometimes miss my WoW druid's flight form.

I badly want a "mount" that's just turning into a swarm of bats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want a mount that is just flying. Just woosh take off into the air I'm flyin' now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want a mount that's just your character running extra fast.

Even when flying.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Anything else you'd like to add? Were they rescuing tanks out of meteor spots and saying "I'm gonna make you all suffer"?

Nope, just that they do exist, and I find actual sprouts pay attention and do fine with a simple "there's two parts to this, please hold the lb for melee DPS (if present) and we'll be out much quicker"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I want a mount that is just flying. Just woosh take off into the air I'm flyin' now.

:hai:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ImpAtom posted:

Same. Just... one day, the WoL learns to fly under their own power, and nobody is particularly surprised.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I want a mount that's just a skateboard. Not a hoverboard, not a magitek flying plank, a regular rear end skateboard that like tony hawk would use. I want in both FF14 and WoW

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Macaluso posted:

I want a mount that's just a skateboard. Not a hoverboard, not a magitek flying plank, a regular rear end skateboard that like tony hawk would use. I want in both FF14 and WoW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1vM1Mn933Y

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

My dream mount would be a 4 person fishing dingy reward for all big fish from 2.x-6.x.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mr. Neutron posted:

given the past two have been pushovers, not at all. plus the game as a whole is in a different spot as in HW. more markers are standardized, the range of how punishing alliance raid mechanics can be is much more fixed, and class mechanics aren't fighting you with timers and limited resources.

there are a couple good points of comparison here; think about how few alliance raids have had bits where you fall off compared to the void ark ones, for example, or compare the "three people get marked for big explosions" mechanic on TG cid to Ozma's equivalent where six people get marked and the whole alliance gets punished with damage+damage down if two of them overlap.

explaining how fucky TP was, how harsh cleric stance was, and the difficulties of the buff maintenance timers in HW are just kind of "you had to have been there" things

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 1, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

hopeandjoy posted:

Algaia has some good surprise mechanics the first run as well. I’m sad that apparently the scales mech is now skipped though because it’s the big setpiece of the fight.

That happened to me this week and I was major bummed out. It’s so cool!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Funky Valentine posted:

I want a mount that's just your character running extra fast.

Even when flying.

This but animate it like Godbert's first appearance back in North Than.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mordiceius posted:

My dream mount would be a 4 person fishing dingy reward for all big fish from 2.x-6.x.

As cool as that would be you can't fish from the secondary positions on a mount, or on the pilot either I think, so it would be disappointing unless they did some major code revisions to allow it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

As cool as that would be you can't fish from the secondary positions on a mount, or on the pilot either I think, so it would be disappointing unless they did some major code revisions to allow it.

I don't want to fish from the boat. I just want a mount that's a fishing boat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Macaluso posted:

It at least needs an ability that does a kickflip or ollie or something.

I wanna terrorize Ul'dah.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It at least needs an ability that does a kickflip or ollie or something.

I wanna terrorize Ul'dah.

Yes, 100%. This is exactly what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Not only is Nier3 ridiculously long and eye-blindingly ugly, but the mog is genderlocked and bad