Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Chevy Slyme posted:

Animist proficiencies - particularly saving throws - feel like hot garbage.

Never going above Expert in any save? (Chanellers get Master in Will, but Sages never do)

And the combat apparition feels like it's not quite doing enough to make that switch hitter fantasy that they talked about work. The main benefit is that your Martial Weapon proficiency increases to match your Simple weapon proficiency - but you still have caster scaling on that simple weapon proficiency (Expert at 11, and that's it). You get a status bonus to patch the gap, but if there's a bard around, it's redundant/useless, and it doesn't actually close the gap - you're still behind by as much as -3 at some levels. And that still doesn't even account for being behind on Str/Dex. A better solution is probably ditch the status bonus, and set the weapon proficiency based on spellcasting proficiency (but keep using Str/Dex, not wisdom mod melee), and maybe increase the penalties/restrictions on casting during that sustain (or maybe not! It's probably fine if they don't!). You'll still be behind the actual martials on attack stat, and even for proficiency for several levels at each tier, but eventually you catch up on the latter, and in general, the dynamic is much more interesting, since you're only running 1-2 points behind rather than 3 or more.

Note that you can just flip to the Wild Shape equivalent in that case, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chevy Slyme posted:

Animist proficiencies - particularly saving throws - feel like hot garbage.

Never going above Expert in any save? (Chanellers get Master in Will, but Sages never do)

And the combat apparition feels like it's not quite doing enough to make that switch hitter fantasy that they talked about work. The main benefit is that your Martial Weapon proficiency increases to match your Simple weapon proficiency - but you still have caster scaling on that simple weapon proficiency (Expert at 11, and that's it). You get a status bonus to patch the gap, but if there's a bard around, it's redundant/useless, and it doesn't actually close the gap - you're still behind by as much as -3 at some levels. And that still doesn't even account for being behind on Str/Dex. A better solution is probably ditch the status bonus, and set the weapon proficiency based on spellcasting proficiency (but keep using Str/Dex, not wisdom mod melee), and maybe increase the penalties/restrictions on casting during that sustain (or maybe not! It's probably fine if they don't!). You'll still be behind the actual martials on attack stat, and even for proficiency for several levels at each tier, but eventually you catch up on the latter, and in general, the dynamic is much more interesting, since you're only running 1-2 points behind rather than 3 or more.

Re: saves, actually, Channelers get Master in Fortitude, not Will, while gaining crit-on-success in Will. This is likely an error, though.

Edit: And yeah, there’s some gish-y stuff that feels like trap options. I think the class as a whole looks powerful if you know what you’re doing, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 1, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Chevy Slyme posted:

Okay, the Exemplar rules though. Big thaumaturge energy without feeling like a copy thereof. I love the way the class really rewards a push-pull between the various ikons to push the player to cycling between different Cool poo poo, and the mid-high level feat that lets you make a Diplomacy or Intimidation check against a weapon to convince it that it shouldn't be allowed to hurt you, regardless of what it's weilder thinks, absolutely loving owns.

While I don't know how it will be in practice I like the flavor of the level 20 feat that says you know what, I am what was cool not the gear, and you can just use your Ikons with anything you want, allowing you to pick something like a rock and manifest it as your weapon or whatever.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
oh poo poo, mythic is coming

sweet

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Q4 2024 and are not > level 20 rules:

https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1697672255982145597

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Oh so this is like WOTR mythic rules then

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Level 20+10 vs level 30 is a difference, yes, but we’re never getting 4e’s epic tier of play back so this is a welcome alternative

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have a strong suspicion that "Mythic rules" is going to be implemented as, essentially, Free Archetype, but with some specific and specifically overpowered archetypes.

Which, actually, that sounds perfectly fine by me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm stupid enough to be planning to run an Abomination Vaults campaign even though I never played before. What are good resources for a first time GM?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I'm stupid enough to be planning to run an Abomination Vaults campaign even though I never played before. What are good resources for a first time GM?

The core rulebook and the GMG. I’m serious, they’re good like the 4e ones were.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Plutonis posted:

I'd read through the beginner box if you can find a PDF of it. It really helps slowly explain concepts to both the gm and the players encounter by encounter

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The Exemplar has a lot of abilities with weirdly specific inspirations, doesn’t it? And not just the obvious ones like Compliant Gold being Sun Wukong’s staff. Mated Birds in Paired Flight is basically Kanshou and Bakuya from Fate/Stay Night, right?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

maybe? try talking to them on a train

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Plutonis posted:

I'm a first time GM who also just started an Abomination Vaults campaign too. If you are using Foundry than I would recommend the module from the Paizo website. It's got the entire adventure path in it, all the enemy stat blocks are filled out with icons for everything, music, and even some macros for lighting effects and changes to the map.

I have been keeping the GM screen from AoN open and mostly reference that and the core rulebook. If you don't use a computer, then buy the bestiaries or print off stat blocks too because most of the stat blocks aren't in the adventure path except for a few unique to the adventure path.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

I'd read through the beginner box if you can find a PDF of it. It really helps slowly explain concepts to both the gm and the players encounter by encounter

Yeah I got one, thankfully!

Silver2195 posted:

The Exemplar has a lot of abilities with weirdly specific inspirations, doesn’t it? And not just the obvious ones like Compliant Gold being Sun Wukong’s staff. Mated Birds in Paired Flight is basically Kanshou and Bakuya from Fate/Stay Night, right?

Strike Rivers, Seize Winds absolutely reminded me of Fishman Jiu-Jitsu from One Piece.

gurragadon posted:

I'm a first time GM who also just started an Abomination Vaults campaign too. If you are using Foundry than I would recommend the module from the Paizo website. It's got the entire adventure path in it, all the enemy stat blocks are filled out with icons for everything, music, and even some macros for lighting effects and changes to the map.

I have been keeping the GM screen from AoN open and mostly reference that and the core rulebook. If you don't use a computer, then buy the bestiaries or print off stat blocks too because most of the stat blocks aren't in the adventure path except for a few unique to the adventure path.

Using Roll20 because I have a potato PC unfortunately. I know they have the module there though, although it looks a bit pricy...

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

exemplars seem really strong

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

exemplars seem really strong

good news it's a rare class so you're explicitly able to disallow it if it's an issue for your campaign

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

good news it's a rare class so you're explicitly able to disallow it if it's an issue for your campaign

you're explicitly able disallow anything if you feel like it but thanks for telling me what the rare tag means!!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Plutonis posted:

Using Roll20 because I have a potato PC unfortunately. I know they have the module there though, although it looks a bit pricy...

You can use Forge to host, I think the cost is similar to roll20.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rythian posted:

Looks a bit inspired by the Sami to me, people in the very north of Sweden/Norway/Finland.

That makes more sense, especially with the name Samo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh sweet, they finally said what the new Recall Knowledge procedure actually is:

1) Use the action
2) Ask a question to the GM about the topic
3) Roll happens (still secret it seems)
4)

Crit Success: either extra info or a second question on top of success answer
Success: question is answered honestly
Failure: no info
Crit Failure: lie for an answer

There are supposed to be a list of hypothetical questions and more GM guidance in the books, but this is the gist of it

and questions like "what's this thing's weakest save?" or "what is this weak to?" are explicitly valid

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Re: saves, actually, Channelers get Master in Fortitude, not Will, while gaining crit-on-success in Will. This is likely an error, though.

Actually, I was wrong about it being an error; Michael Sayre confirms that it's deliberate: https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sie7?Welcome-to-the-War-of-Immortals-Playtest#discuss

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MonsterEnvy posted:

While I don't know how it will be in practice I like the flavor of the level 20 feat that says you know what, I am what was cool not the gear, and you can just use your Ikons with anything you want, allowing you to pick something like a rock and manifest it as your weapon or whatever.

That one was pretty cool. The other one wasn't bad either, where you're functionally immortal in combat as long as you have Focus Points to spare.

Really the whole class looks neat, kinda reminds me of my old Scion campaign

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It’s neat in a lot of ways, but I can also see why a lot of people don’t like it. The lore/vibes of it come across as having more metaphysical/narrative importance than other classes to an extent. An Exalted-inspired campaign where everyone gets Exemplar multiclass as a free archetype might be fun, but I can definitely see the problems that could arise with an Exemplar in a party of non-Exemplars, even if the actual mechanics are balanced.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lol I just rolled 4 crits on 4 attacks with one monster in the 3rd level of the abomination vaults and chunked the party for 30 damage each. hell yeah this game is fun (the fighter fed the creature's teeth right back to it and the party won, do not worry the game is also balanced as gently caress)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Plutonis posted:

Jarvisi posted:

Also just run your players through the BB while you are reading it. Then you can go into Abomination Vaults at level 2. It's the same town and everything

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

It’s neat in a lot of ways, but I can also see why a lot of people don’t like it. The lore/vibes of it come across as having more metaphysical/narrative importance than other classes to an extent. An Exalted-inspired campaign where everyone gets Exemplar multiclass as a free archetype might be fun, but I can definitely see the problems that could arise with an Exemplar in a party of non-Exemplars, even if the actual mechanics are balanced.

Depends on the group, I feel like. I've been in groups where it was very clear that one or two party members were the most important to the story because they engaged with the setting and the DM and as such ended up in plotlines related to the setting while the others played comic relief or straight man or some other similar supporting role. None of the people outside the main roles ever minded it, if anything they were a little relieved to have less narrative weight so they could play out silly things without having to worry about leading the plot.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Jen X posted:

Oh sweet, they finally said what the new Recall Knowledge procedure actually is:

1) Use the action
2) Ask a question to the GM about the topic
3) Roll happens (still secret it seems)
4)

Crit Success: either extra info or a second question on top of success answer
Success: question is answered honestly
Failure: no info
Crit Failure: lie for an answer

There are supposed to be a list of hypothetical questions and more GM guidance in the books, but this is the gist of it

and questions like "what's this thing's weakest save?" or "what is this weak to?" are explicitly valid

Is the Mastermind racket still going to break the "lie on crit fail" bit by telling you you failed when you don't get off-guard on the enemy?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Silver2195 posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely get Main Character vibes from it, though not as strongly as I would if it were in 5e or some other system.

I mean, a sufficiently leveled person in Pathfinder can steal someone's armor while they're wearing it, and that doesn't require any divinity, just level up the Thievery skill and take the right skill feats, but otherwise it's technically just mortal skill and talent.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
There's been a constant ask for "martial character that can replicate the feats of legendary heroes" and this is pretty much ticking that box. If you want to just hit man with sword increasingly harder, we have Fighter (who's very good at it), and if you want to get so angry you turn inside out and then throw a spear through a dozen guys now we have Exemplar.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
And remember, this book is also going to add mythic rules to 2e so you'll have all the tools you'll need to let everyone do demigod/protagonist stuff if you want that kind of adventure.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Razakai posted:

There's been a constant ask for "martial character that can replicate the feats of legendary heroes" and this is pretty much ticking that box. If you want to just hit man with sword increasingly harder, we have Fighter (who's very good at it), and if you want to get so angry you turn inside out and then throw a spear through a dozen guys now we have Exemplar.

Magic being in Pathfinder completely skews what seems like a legendary feat of strength also. A level 1 fighter with quick jump and assurance in athletics can do a standing 17-foot long jump in heavy armor. The current unofficial record is 12'3".

I looked up legendary feats of strength and its all crazy stuff, but most of it I could see a level 5-10 fighter doing pretty easily. Milo of Croton ran with an ox on his shoulder for a mile. Although Samson pulling down an entire stone temple seems like a higher level pure strength feat.

Edit: That's a guaranteed 17-foot jump. If the person wanted to roll, they could get up to 27 feet on a natural 20. That could be limited by the characters speed to 25 feet though.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 2, 2023

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Clerical Terrors posted:

Is the Mastermind racket still going to break the "lie on crit fail" bit by telling you you failed when you don't get off-guard on the enemy?

Probably, because the lie on crit fail bit is still really stupid and overly punishing

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What about a half truth? Like "you remember something about fire and this creature" and no context if it's a weakness or not.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

What about a half truth? Like "you remember something about fire and this creature" and no context if it's a weakness or not.

that's fun and a good way to handle it

the thing is, at least imo, that wasting an action in combat is already a strong enough penalty

lying on top of that just encourages players to never actually use recall knowledge

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

gurragadon posted:

Edit: That's a guaranteed 17-foot jump. If the person wanted to roll, they could get up to 27 feet on a natural 20. That could be limited by the characters speed to 25 feet though.

I know this isn't really the point of what you wrote but assurance doesn't get your strength modifier. You can long jump 13 feet with it at level 1, which is almost never better than a regular leap because we live in a 5' grid.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I like “Lie on a crit fail, but everyone knows it’s a lie and you get a circumstance bonus attempting to act on it”

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I know this isn't really the point of what you wrote but assurance doesn't get your strength modifier. You can long jump 13 feet with it at level 1, which is almost never better than a regular leap because we live in a 5' grid.

Still a record setting jump that they can do at anytime, but like a magic user can just cast "jump" at level 1 and jump 30 feet. I feel like you need to give martial characters magical powers just to keep up with the power curve. Purely physical stuff just doesn't cut it.

But I've been using assurance wrong this whole time, and it seems like it's a lot worse than I originally thought because I didn't read the parathesis good enough.

There's a character that has been relying on assurance: medicine for that free DC 15 but without the stat modifier they would be at 13. I kind of feel bad for changing it at this point because she kind of built part of her character around it, and I recommended assurance for medicine for her. I guess the problem solves itself at level 3 or level 2 if she takes expert in medicine so maybe I'll just leave it alone for this campaign.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 2, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Depends on the group, I feel like. I've been in groups where it was very clear that one or two party members were the most important to the story because they engaged with the setting and the DM and as such ended up in plotlines related to the setting while the others played comic relief or straight man or some other similar supporting role. None of the people outside the main roles ever minded it, if anything they were a little relieved to have less narrative weight so they could play out silly things without having to worry about leading the plot.

Yeah this is how a lot of tables I've been at shake out and as long as you're doing the work as GM to coordinate and read the room and account for everyone's style, it can work quite well.

It seems like the Exemplar will have the mythic rules to support it and it's very explicit about the character being extra-special, so that will also help draw players inclined to that play towards it. If I were GM-ing a table running say, Ruby Phoenix, and a player wanted an Exemplar I'd make sure to talk with them first and then the rest of the table about what that might mean in a general sense, part of the standard pre-washing I'd do with any class a player demanded.

The Animist flavor is loving dope and my friends and I are all stoked as hell about it, but yeah we're not the best for examining mechanical strength/weakness at a glance so it's hard to tell where the playtest needs work. Still very much looking forward to having them at the table eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

RAW are players allowed to freely share the info they get from Recall Knowledge? I always assumed so, since speaking of a free action, but I had a GM tell me it takes an action to relay it.