Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Flava flav
playa plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
condoms tent next to the prep tent next to the bugchaser tent

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

means testing discounted tickets to burning man

it's not means tested and you don't have to prove hardship or income, you just apply early and indicate you'd like to receive discounted tix. tix also get allocated to trusted groups to distribute to people who miss the deadline or otherwise don't have access to apply. anecdotally, there's low level of fraud because most people here are trustworthy and they also inspect your car at the gate to see if you're using a low income ticket but bringing a $1600 tent and an ebike and poo poo like that

prices are high because of the large amount of infrastructure needed (toilets, etc) and because of the millions of dollars charged by the blm for the yearly permit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

real fuckin rainy rn, everyone is shelter in place overnight and probably longer

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
oh for sure

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lol at spending a weekend in a mud pit

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's not means tested and you don't have to prove hardship or income, you just apply early and indicate you'd like to receive discounted tix. tix also get allocated to trusted groups to distribute to people who miss the deadline or otherwise don't have access to apply. anecdotally, there's low level of fraud because most people here are trustworthy and they also inspect your car at the gate to see if you're using a low income ticket but bringing a $1600 tent and an ebike and poo poo like that

prices are high because of the large amount of infrastructure needed (toilets, etc) and because of the millions of dollars charged by the blm for the yearly permit

You are a liar. This is straight from the burning man website.

quote:

It should also be noted that we offer ~5,000 low-income tickets (at $225 each) for those able to show proof of financial hardship, in order to provide access to the event to those without the financial resources to purchase a ticket at full price. For those who can afford to contribute financially, we sell a small pool of tickets for as much as $1,400 to help offset the cost of the low income program. We also gift thousands of tickets to volunteers who build the city and make the event possible.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
more like thelyingexecutive, to me

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mark immune posted:

more like thelyingexecutive, to me

Nah I think the name is perfectly descriptive already

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

You do realize having people stare into your car to make sure you look poor is a form of social means testing? Do they not let you bring a cell phone in if you're on a low income ticket?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Mr Hootington posted:

You are a liar. This is straight from the burning man website.

Oh and also you're just factually wrong as well but I found the "they stare into your car" to be a weird loving reassurance. Don't think anyone was worried about burning man welfare queens, executive.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

what if it’s called Gurning Man, but it’s about the faces Starfield npcs make?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
what if it was burning lan

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

real fuckin rainy rn, everyone is shelter in place overnight and probably longer

Did you get to run over the protesters? How's the tribute to Ukraine? Anything interesting at the Biden camp?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmao low-income ticket fraud inspectors

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 75 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat i guess these goons must be trapped there with no cell service. maybe they can barter for some sat phone time?

:rip:

https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1697978313849934242?s=20

quote:

BLACK ROCK CITY, Nevada — More than 73,000 Burning Man attendees remain confined to their camps Saturday and are blocked from leaving the event after a slow-moving rainstorm turned their desert playground into a soupy, muddy morass.

Organizers banned vehicle traffic from the roads Friday afternoon and kept the exit gates closed as of 5 a.m. Saturday. Even walking was treacherous as thick, slimy mud clung to shoes and anything else it touched.

Organizers warned attendees to conserve their food and water, indicating the closures could be lengthy.

Cell phone service is virtually nonexistent at the event, and only a few people have access to satellite Internet for updates.

Dawn revealed puddled water and ruts in the streets, which are just delineated routes along the ordinarily rock-hard desert floor. More rain was expected through Sunday, along with whiteouts, event organizers said.

“No driving is permitted on playa except for emergency vehicles,” event organizers said in a 5 a.m. statement. “If you are in (Black Rock City), please shelter in place and stay safe.”

They added separately: “If you are in BRC, conserve food and water, shelter in a warm space.”

The road closures appeared to have forced a halt to cleaning and servicing of the thousands of portable toilets used by attendees who spent Friday night huddled in muddy tents and RVs as the temperature dropped to into the low 50s.

The conditions immediately drew comparisons to the 2017 Fyre Festival, an ill-fated party in the Bahamas subject of multiple documentaries.

The muddy Burning Man conditions also forced the small airport serving the event to halt operations. While most attendees drive to the event in rural northern Nevada, commercial flights from Reno or California are available for those willing to pay.

The poor weather came just as attendance and activities were beginning to peak, and forced to the cancellation of multiple large scale art burns Friday night.

On Saturday night attendees are supposed to watch the Man effigy that looms over the encampment burn and explode with fireworks, followed Sunday by the burning of the Temple of the Heart.

The event officially ends Monday in a mass departure known as Exodus.

Before the event officially started Aug. 27, organizers closed the gates to early arrivals for several days after the remnants of Hurricane Hillary swamped the area.

Burning Man attendees are expected to be completely self-sufficient for the duration of their stay, bringing in all the food, water and shelter they need.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beating the poo poo out of climate protesters so I can go drown in mud and become a beautiful flower child

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lol

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 75 days!)

the mod of hte climate change thread did not feel compelled to join a climate change protest happening within line of sight lmfao

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
rip the burning man goons, drowned in mud, at least their dependents will be okay with all the money they leave them

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Weed Wolf posted:

54% of burning man attendees in 2022 made over 75k a year.
40% in 2022 made over 100k a year

They're gonna do fine in the mud

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Stereotype posted:

lol if it rains

Lol

Lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

studs n chuds posted:

the mod of hte climate change thread did not feel compelled to join a climate change protest happening within line of sight lmfao

Well, you see, it's too late so he doesn't have to do anything ever again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

studs n chuds posted:

probably should have listened and turned around lmao

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

fits my needs posted:

drat i guess these goons must be trapped there with no cell service. maybe they can barter for some sat phone time?

:rip:

https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1697978313849934242?s=20

Thread delivers beyond my wildest of dreams. Stay safe goons, but also lol, lmao.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
critical support for comrade rain

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

BM is probably too big to fail at this point, but I’ll bet tickets are going to be even more plentiful next year.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

studs n chuds posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

critical support for comrade rain

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
watyr festival

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
mud, my greatest weakness

we're prepared for everything but this

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
*pounds table* mud season, mud season

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Can't they just burn the mud? I thought that was the entire concept of burning man...

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

studs n chuds posted:

make up yr mind, nobody's happy when people from the climate change thread DO feel compelled to take action either

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
who do you think did the rain dance that brought the mud... it was an inside job...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RBC posted:

mud, my greatest weakness

we're prepared for everything but this

it's super hosed up dense mud that cakes on everything instantly and piles up. you can barely walk in it

speaking of super hosed up dense things, I was 100% wrong and the low income tickets are means tested but the car searches are just for contraband like weapons and fireworks

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

does this mean they won't be able to Burn the Man

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

MUD

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmfao owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_gJObnA-8g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU