Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

That's a solid meh from me. You are going to have a bad time if you expect shadow in the warp to cause the unit you want to attack to be battle-shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Any sign so far about them reworking shadow in the warp? It's a pretty crap mechanic in its current implementation.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I guess we'll find out tomorrow when the codex reviews come up. Considering they haven't said anything about it this week I doubt it.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I mean, battleshock as a whole needs a rethink, right? Or maybe just to not go away automatically at the beginning of your turn.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Raged posted:

That's a solid meh from me. You are going to have a bad time if you expect shadow in the warp to cause the unit you want to attack to be battle-shocked.

So far in all my games Battle Shock has been a wet fart. Almost never relevant and when it is, I just send a CP to fix it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Assault Terminators spring or summer next year to tie in with other releases like Dark Angels + maybe summer brings Blood Angels and/or Space Wolves? Really seems poor they couldn't bring them out at the same time given how silly it is to have primarised regulars but smol-rear end, don't they know we like big booty?

You can probably just use the Assault bits on the new Terminators. Each box comes with full set of claws and hammers so they're always dirt cheap to buy as bitz.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Question for the thread, how important is a uniform paintjob across a force for you? With no EC codex on the horizon and no specific units for said army I've been building up a CSM army painted generally as EC but I've been hankering to paint some other legions up. As long as the rim color is the same would it be inconsiderate to my opponents if in my predominantly pink army there is suddenly a squad of Night Lords raptors or Iron Warriors legionaries mixed in? I assume not but kinda wanted to feel out if it was some sort of faux pas.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Question for the thread, how important is a uniform paintjob across a force for you? With no EC codex on the horizon and no specific units for said army I've been building up a CSM army painted generally as EC but I've been hankering to paint some other legions up. As long as the rim color is the same would it be inconsiderate to my opponents if in my predominantly pink army there is suddenly a squad of Night Lords raptors or Iron Warriors legionaries mixed in? I assume not but kinda wanted to feel out if it was some sort of faux pas.

I don't give two hot shits about the lore (even then it can work), but from an aesthetic, visual standpoint it can be kinda jarring.

What you can do however is to tie them together visually in some way. Pick a thing that is consistent among all the groups that ties them together. For instance, do the trim on all of them the same way. Or make them all have the right shoulderpad in the same color. Or paint all the little loincloths the same color. Or something like that.

Just something that ties them all together and visually tells you that these guys, although from disparate groups, have all been hanging out.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Couldn't that just be handwaved away as a Black Crusade force? I'm not the best on lore these days, but wasn't that many legions under Abaddon's command?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Couldn't that just be handwaved away as a Black Crusade force? I'm not the best on lore these days, but wasn't that many legions under Abaddon's command?

Not so much "command" as "got everyone to go along with it". There's still so much animosity and distrust between the various legions that a integrated force would be extremely unusual. They might nominally work together when something big is going on but even then it would be along the lines of "you guys hold this flank while we advance up the other and if we see you in our sector we frag you".

On the other hand, anyone can join Abaddon's Black Legion, but that involves swearing off your previous affiliation and giving loyalty to Abaddon. So the Black Legion is not only the previous Sons of Horus, but has members originally from every other traitor legion or renegade chapter.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Metal Ork Meganobz question: are you supposed to remove the “tag” on the back of the jaws, or does that part fit into the armor below the neck ?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're not averse to genre fiction, the Black Legion books can give you some ideas on how to put your force together. The Black Legion is unique in that Abaddon recruits people by making them forsake their Primarchs (who are essentially every marine's Daddy God, even more so than the Emperor) and instead find brotherhood in the Legion. They're ideologically pretty united even if sometimes random Black Legion characters come off as generic moustache twirling villains in non CSM focused books.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

After finishing catching up on HH/SoT I actually just started the Black Legion trilogy (duology until ABD finishes it?) and that's part of why I want to expand out as long as I don't have an actual single legion codex. I did a test run of different legions in a kill team and had fun with it and wouldn't be opposed to painting up little 500 point warbands of different legions but didn't want to make it too confusing if I mushed them together into my main army when making higher point lists. I like the CSM range enough that I kinda just want to keep doing variations of it even if it means im effectively doubling or tripling up on units I already have done in my EC army.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you want to do multiple warbands together then the best way to avoid confusion would be to have the warband colour schemes delineated at the squad level. All these green Chosen are one squad and the Iron Warrior Legionaires are all the same scheme.

If you have literally each dude in a squad a different colour how is your opponent supposed to figure out which one belongs to which squad if they both end up in melee?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eej posted:

If you want to do multiple warbands together then the best way to avoid confusion would be to have the warband colour schemes delineated at the squad level. All these green Chosen are one squad and the Iron Warrior Legionaires are all the same scheme.

If you have literally each dude in a squad a different colour how is your opponent supposed to figure out which one belongs to which squad if they both end up in melee?

Ah yeah sorry if that wasn't clear, that's exactly what I'd be going for. I wouldn't be mixing within the same squad, just an entire squad of a different legion than my main one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
chaos marines aren't long on rigid organization, it's in the name

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah I'm thinking of collecting some patchwork CSMs, at least partially because I have an idea for armour five like marble, but I'm absolutely not doing a whole army of it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Hell, loyalist space marines had crusade armies made up of multiple chapters, don't see any reason why you couldn't make some sort of faction coalition for any of the armies.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Honestly was thinking about crusade armies being a thing again since you're not really tied to paintjobs anymore outside of special characters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nazzadan posted:

Question for the thread, how important is a uniform paintjob across a force for you?

Not at all. Even the Nazis weren't Nazis about it:

Between different manufacture, variation in materials, uneven wear, and a hundred other factors, "uniform" uniforms are probably the least realistic thing you could paint.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
That reminds me a friend's story about trying to find the historically accurate shade of grey paint used for a certain submarine, actually tracking down the guys who painted it and asking them, and being told "We were given tins of black paint and tins of white paint and told to mix them."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stephenls posted:

That reminds me a friend's story about trying to find the historically accurate shade of grey paint used for a certain submarine, actually tracking down the guys who painted it and asking them, and being told "We were given tins of black paint and tins of white paint and told to mix them."

i will fight every historical modeler who insists on color matching paint swatches rather than taking the scale effect into account

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

moths posted:

Between different manufacture, variation in materials, uneven wear, and a hundred other factors, "uniform" uniforms are probably the least realistic thing you could paint.

Sure but at least these all look like Nazi uniforms and that they all belong to the same army of shitheads.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
What's the Chaos equivalent of a Chaplain? I'm guessing it's his responsibility to walk around with a pot of paint and enforce the uniform regulations of warlord Bezzor the Unforgiving, Scourge of the Butterfly Cluster.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Speaking of chaos guys, I finished A Guy. x-post from mini thread

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

And that was for one nation with a more or less unified industrial base.

Your average black legion squad is probably made of dudes who just walked off the Siege of Terra, dudes who've spent the last 10k years on the run in realspace, others who have been marinating in the warp for that same amount of time. Sure they're all wearing black but paint made from tortured souls looks different to the black dried blood paint which is again different from the stuff they liberated from the Black Templars.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Nazzadan posted:

Speaking of chaos guys, I finished A Guy. x-post from mini thread

Very cool dudes. The dingy paint job suits Chaos marines well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Decorus posted:

What's the Chaos equivalent of a Chaplain? I'm guessing it's his responsibility to walk around with a pot of paint and enforce the uniform regulations of warlord Bezzor the Unforgiving, Scourge of the Butterfly Cluster.

That would be a Dark Apostle and I think they're more concerned with yelling about the Chaos Gods

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-tyranids-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/

Goonhammers Nid codex review is up for those curious.

Shadow in the Warp rules remains the same, to answer an earlier question.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

I'd probably try and keep it internally consistent but there's a lot of room for variety within a loose scheme. Like mixing in some purple units to complement the pink could be fun.

Stephenls posted:

I do like a good story about tracking down accurate colors or doing the research. You can get down a real rabbit hole with how pigments break down over time so even if you found a genuine piece of some ww2 plane that color would be different or a museum repainting something in the 60s ends up confusing the historical record.

Even with the Star Wars modelling it gets really silly when they were making the models it would be off the rack paints they bought locally without really thinking it through but now modellers are researching what brands were sold near ILM during that time period to get the color charts and trying to find people that still had cans in their garage or whatever to get swatches from.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cooked Auto posted:

Looks like they are making changes to datasheets in the codex. Anything can happen now!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Whoops, i tripped, fell and ordered some nids.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

After helping to pick an order for over 7000kr in Lego parts this week I don't even raise an eyebrow at that. :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stephenls posted:

I saw a similar story play out once - Two guys were having a long, drawn out argument in a Flames of War facebook group about the correct shade of dark green to paint your WW2 Soviet tanks. It had been going for days, and they were both getting pretty irate.

Then a third guy barges in with the actual honest to god specification document given to the tank factories by the Soviet army, and it just said "tanks shall be painted an appropriate shade of dark green", which translates to "we don't give a gently caress, just paint the tanks green"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cooked Auto posted:

This review is glowing and positive, i just put in my pre-order, super looking forward to it! Couldnt catch the special edition in time but its all good.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

This review is glowing and positive, i just put in my pre-order, super looking forward to it! Couldnt catch the special edition in time but its all good.

While I expect the vanguard and swarm detachments will be the new competitive hotness, I'm mostly looking forward to running the hungry hungry haruspex list with a bunch of munchy bugs. Finally a neat use for all those ripper bases I painted in 8th edition!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I am looking forward to the crusher stampede :getin:

But thats way far off in the future when im done with what i have

For now i think the only likely purchases for tyranids id make is the norn emissary, Biovores and Haruspex. I feel like getting lictors might be too technical...

Are swarmlords a must have or does the norn emissary completely outshine them?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 2, 2023

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cooked Auto posted:

There are a lot more datasheet changes in there then I expected, I assume these were finalized when the index came out so a lot of them like changing ripper unit sizes just seem very odd. Honestly almost seems like GW wanted to make sure you wouldn't stick with the index and skip buying the book.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

neaden posted:

There are a lot more datasheet changes in there then I expected, I assume these were finalized when the index came out so a lot of them like changing ripper unit sizes just seem very odd. Honestly almost seems like GW wanted to make sure you wouldn't stick with the index and skip buying the book.

According to the review you can still field the index army as is and its in the upper half of power levels overall:-

Goonhammer posted:

The other bit of good news is that they’ve stuck to the promise of Codex detachments being broadly on par depth-wise with Index ones – in fact, the Invasion Fleet index detachment is here unchanged, and honestly probably lands in the upper half on power level. That’s good news for everyone else, as it means that the pain of being without a full codex is going to be significantly lower than it has been the last few times, at least assuming that current stragglers get a bit of a boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Al-Saqr posted:

According to the review you can still field the index army as is and its in the upper half of power levels overall:-

You can use the index detachment, but since a bunch of datasheets changed the index/cards are out of date now for model rules.