Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpd4zmwVKX1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpf8z54LCN1r0uzl6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I would k word my s word.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Bananana posted:

I would k word my s word.

Look at this guy, kissing his sister

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Humphreys posted:

"I'm on smoko, so leave me alone!"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/0AllJNK.mp4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao one of the last weeks everyone still worked together before the final cuts as the last plant I worked at was shutting down, my tech went out to smoke a cigarette on his scheduled break. Like all the smoking areas at manufacturing plants here, the smoking area was infested with skunks.

Well, something bad happened, and he came inside and took a lap around the plant before he told our supe he was out for the night 2 hours in, got his poo poo out of his locker, and then threw me a big peace sign as I was making "IS THAT YOU?" hands across the plant at him.

I thought it was real funny, as did he.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://i.imgur.com/igIMrmk.mp4

Two hands on head

One cautious hand on hip

Two hands on head again.

Resigned two hands on hips

I'm confounded as to how these things were intentionally stored on the most rickety setup in the first place.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

5er posted:

I'm confounded as to how these things were intentionally stored on the most rickety setup in the first place.

VERY CAREFULLY

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why are those office idiots saying I need to unload from the top? This lift is crazy slow and my supe is already yelling at me about the line being empty. Screw it, I'll just grab the one right next to me on the bottom to shut him up. There, done with the row and nothing went wrong, I knew those trainers were just being paranoid. Raise the lift one level, we're just going bottom to top - easy mode!

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

5er posted:

They are kiln shelves. The kiln melts steel. Ceramics are all you can use. So it is ceramic posts and ceramic shelves and a bunch of just fired toilets. I bet the kiln walls and roof are hanging overhead base on that rig. Stack the raw toilets, lower the kiln and fire it. Let it cool slowly to prevent cracking. Raise the kiln and use the platforms to unstack. I've done pottery kilns but never anything close to that scale.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Harry_Potato posted:

They are kiln shelves. The kiln melts steel. Ceramics are all you can use. So it is ceramic posts and ceramic shelves and a bunch of just fired toilets. I bet the kiln walls and roof are hanging overhead base on that rig. Stack the raw toilets, lower the kiln and fire it. Let it cool slowly to prevent cracking. Raise the kiln and use the platforms to unstack. I've done pottery kilns but never anything close to that scale.

lol yeah everything falls apart like ceramic, it's just a fact of life and dude hosed up

his reaction is very, "dude that knows what he's doing and realized he hosed up immediately," too

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Handling: General considerations

The cassowary is faster and has a sharper beak and talons than you do. It has no 'code of ethics' or
considerations for its own future.
In a fair fight it will win.

1. DON'T FIGHT A CASSOWARY
  2. USE YOUR BRAIN
  3. USE DRUGS

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrQwerty posted:

lol yeah everything falls apart like ceramic, it's just a fact of life and dude hosed up

his reaction is very, "dude that knows what he's doing and realized he hosed up immediately," too
You can also see him use his off hand to push down on the panel to try and keep it seated to the post but then lets off too early.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/riEceyK.gifv

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They're gonna need a bigger boat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

well that's my literal nightmare

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

He homgry

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

"hehe the stupid shark thinks the boat is food"

:stare:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A boat is a good place to socialize, they'll be all chummy soon

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Somebody better start blowing...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LifeSunDeath posted:

Goons were right all along about the ocean

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Harry_Potato posted:

They made whole rear end (preemptive lol) toilets, they can make shelves that have pegs and slots.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Now reverse it

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

goatsestretchgoals posted:

They made whole rear end (preemptive lol) toilets, they can make shelves that have pegs and slots.

There are issues with expansion and contraction if you fit parts together with something like pegs and slots in ceramic kiln temps. The shelf would be more likely to bust in the kiln if you tried that.

The issue, and likely cause of the house of toilet cards fall, is the bottom shelves are empty. Maybe they were never loaded, or more likely those dudes unloaded the bottom first, but if the bottom was loaded the weight of it would have provided stability, and not allowed the whole shelf structure to fall.

Kilns are loaded bottom to top, and should be unloaded the reverse of that. It is less work to build modular kiln shelves around what's being fired than try to load into an existing shelf (because the shelf has to be made of ceramic materials, which breaks easily).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

killer crane posted:

There are issues with expansion and contraction if you fit parts together with something like pegs and slots in ceramic kiln temps. The shelf would be more likely to bust in the kiln if you tried that.

The issue, and likely cause of the house of toilet cards fall, is the bottom shelves are empty. Maybe they were never loaded, or more likely those dudes unloaded the bottom first, but if the bottom was loaded the weight of it would have provided stability, and not allowed the whole shelf structure to fall.

Kilns are loaded bottom to top, and should be unloaded the reverse of that. It is less work to build modular kiln shelves around what's being fired than try to load into an existing shelf (because the shelf has to be made of ceramic materials, which breaks easily).

sometimes you just can't get past the fact that, while an established industrial process is objectively lovely, it is also an established industrial process for a reason

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

inflatable boats don't take good or deflate like pool toys from one puncture so this ends with the shark loving off and (maybe) wet feet

it's pretty anticlimactic, similar to the quicksand nightmare

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ComradePyro posted:

inflatable boats don't take good or deflate like pool toys from one puncture so this ends with the shark loving off and (maybe) wet feet

it's pretty anticlimactic, similar to the quicksand nightmare

Well that’s no fun.

We need an OceanGate to disrupt inflatable boat building.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

killer crane posted:

I’m sorry but I don’t agree with this. Kiln best practices are bullshit if this is the best practice. Expansion and contraction are known entities in any practice, kiln operators don’t get a pass because their poo poo is really loving hot.

What was the plan to take the 2nd row of toilets off? If it was “new guy should be really careful” then the plan is bullshit.

I don’t hear about kiln toilet jenga every day so obviously who ever set that up did something wrong.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

What was the plan to take the 2nd row of toilets off? If it was “new guy should be really careful” then the plan is bullshit.

I don’t hear about kiln toilet jenga every day so obviously who ever set that up did something wrong.
I think it's "Take apart the jenga tower by taking the pieces at the top first and working down" instead of "Remove most of the pieces from the bottom first, then try the top ones"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The toilets weren’t load bearing. The gently caress up happened because the dude leaned over and dragged the toilet instead of lifting (from his waist).

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I’m sorry but I don’t agree with this. Kiln best practices are bullshit if this is the best practice. Expansion and contraction are known entities in any practice, kiln operators don’t get a pass because their poo poo is really loving hot

What?

The shelves are supposed to be disassembled as you unload. The top row would be cleared, and the second row would then be the new top. The platform they're on moves up and down, and to the middle. As it's unloaded everything will just get taken apart.

Like I said, it's probably not the person who set it up, it's the people (those two dudes) disassembling it.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The toilets weren’t load bearing. The gently caress up happened because the dude leaned over and dragged the toilet instead of lifting (from his waist).

If there had been toilets in the lower shelves the worst that would have happened would have been that the shelf section (that one the pulled) fell and damaged the toilet below it.

The weight of the bottom toilets should be there to stabilize the shelves. They weren't, for some reason, so the shelves were not stable.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

killer crane posted:

Like I said, it's probably not the person who set it up, it's the people (those two dudes) disassembling it.

Coulda been a shift change, too, dudes unloaded the bottom, went home, dudes came in, decided to do stupid poo poo on top of stupid poo poo and found out

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

killer crane posted:

What?

The shelves are supposed to be disassembled as you unload. The top row would be cleared, and the second row would then be the new top. The platform they're on moves up and down, and to the middle. As it's unloaded everything will just get taken apart.

Hard disagree again but I don’t have the context to continue.

Putting people in the position where one bad movement causes that much stock to be destroyed isn’t the best idea. People will gently caress up, especially when heavy poo poo is involved.

E: <3 no offense meant or taken, enjoyed the discussion.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 2, 2023

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I mean, it's like if you have a warehouse full of metal shelves. You don't load them from the top. You don't leave your heaviest items on top. But this thread has plenty of videos where a warehouse is destroyed cause someone loaded one shelf top-heavy, and some unlucky person pumped it with a forklift. It happens, gently caress ups happen, and what happened to these two dudes is a prime example.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Y'all kiln it in here.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I think we might be talking past each other at this point. My overall point is that I feel that much weight shouldn’t be supported with a bunch of posts and planks without being secured.

We cool :)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I think we might be talking past each other at this point. My overall point is that I feel that much weight shouldn’t be supported with a bunch of posts and planks without being secured.

We cool :)

yeah but how do you secure it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Alot of best practices are bullshit. . .but that doesn't mean they aren't the best option given the available resources.

I almost crushed 6 people with an 800lb steel framed wall today. We were doing everything correctly, and safely.

I work on Broadway shows. A fault in the automation rig caused a (very brief, seconds) delay. This caused a group of actors to end up in the wrong place on stage, at the wrong time. Stage manager threw a cue light to call in the flown wall, when it wasn't safe to do so.

Luckily I had heard the word "fault" and being a Head Carp, and automation tech myself (although not on this particular show) I knew it meant there was something loving up in the automation rig, and that the moving deck pieces wouldn't be in the right place. I was able to see on a nearby monitor that performers had abandoned their blocking, and were under the piece.

Cue light went off, I held the cue (not my job to make those kinds of calls, and in theory could be fired for it). Was able to hammer it in when it was clear and get us caught up.

Sometimes best practices are just the nature of the industry. If a less experienced flyman had been on the piece, they probably would have done their job and brought that wall in right on top of those kids.