Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm the 1% who sides equally with both workers and employers

found the radical centrist! :toughguy:

(j/k i know you're joking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SWIFTLY MOVING TOWARDS A SOLUTION WHICH PLEASES NOBODY!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work in politics and bashing the poo poo out of corporations (especially CEOs) is wildly popular across every demographic.

Its one of the reasons the GOP is in a weird bind - most traditional elected officials signed up to lower taxes and gently caress over workers - but that's incredibly unpopular among their base. So part of the pivot to other issues is because they know your normal "pro-business" message is horseshit.

For more on the myth of the meritocracy in Hollywood, go read Mo Ryan's Burn It Down.

Probably the best insight into how truly hosed up the industry remains.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1697374394933526609

:getin:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-walking-dead-spinoffs-interview-with-the-vampire-to-resume-production-sag-aftra-deal-1235533050/

AMC has made a deal with SAG-AFTRA where Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon, Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live and Interview with the Vampire can resume filming.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Weirdly nothing about the WGA there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t get what an interim deal for a specific show would even look like. Surely they’re not gonna concede on streaming residuals or AI rights just for that show. Maybe it’s a lump-sum payment to the actors involved. But why would SAG-AFTRA be okay with it? Other striking actors must be pissed.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Vegetable posted:

I don’t get what an interim deal for a specific show would even look like. Surely they’re not gonna concede on streaming residuals or AI rights just for that show. Maybe it’s a lump-sum payment to the actors involved. But why would SAG-AFTRA be okay with it? Other striking actors must be pissed.

It’s not a lump-sum payment, it’s AMC agreeing to all of the guild’s terms.

The Interim Agreement is a full 70-page contract that includes the terms and conditions in the union’s last offer to the studios and streamers during negotiations. This contract is available only to independent producers looking to employ our members on specific productions, and it helps the union achieve its goals by putting pressure on the AMPTP and the struck companies while demonstrating that our proposals are reasonable.”

Basically, AMC is saying “we don’t particularly care about AI and we’re happy to work out some kind of success-based streaming residuals on our tiny streaming platform”, along with agreeing to all of the union’s other demands in their last proposal.

SAG-AFTRA is OK with it because it shows that even small studios are able to meet union demands without significantly hurting their bottom lines. It also opens the door for more acting jobs. Obviously the principal cast gets to resume working, but now there are a bunch of new jobs available for guest stars, one-off roles, day players, and background actors — basically the kind of “working actor” jobs that 90% of the membership thrives on.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I expect that on streaming residuals etc, the interim agreement has some language that says "AMC will abide by terms X, or by the terms of the eventual contract once that gets signed". Since AMC will be bound by the terms of the eventual contract but won't one of the parties at the table negotiating it, they're not really giving anything up here.

("AMC Networks is what’s known as an authorized company with regards to the AMPTP but is not among the studios involved in the negotiations.")

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1697355192927203800

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-walking-dead-spinoffs-interview-with-the-vampire-to-resume-production-sag-aftra-deal-1235533050/

AMC has made a deal with SAG-AFTRA where Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon, Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live and Interview with the Vampire can resume filming.

Little by little they chip away.

This will be over sooner rather than later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

This lady can gently caress right off. I hope they boot her even if it's mostly performative.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lol what ghouls.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

"fringe groups"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1697635848240365977

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

…didn’t they just hire Molly Levinson to do crisis PR?

Now they wanna spend on crisis PR for their crisis PR?

These people have brainworms.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'd be really curious to see how public opinion of the strike is over in more rural areas. I'm too close to this poo poo. I live in LA and have a variety of friends in the WGA/SAG, so everything I see on social media is intensely pro-strike, pro-solidarity, anti-studio. But like... if you asked some rando in Iowa or Alabama or Kansas what they thought of this, I wonder how things would fall. Because, generally speaking, it feels like not many people are vibing with the studios' messaging. But again, my perspective in insanely skewed.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Mordiceius posted:

I'd be really curious to see how public opinion of the strike is over in more rural areas. I'm too close to this poo poo. I live in LA and have a variety of friends in the WGA/SAG, so everything I see on social media is intensely pro-strike, pro-solidarity, anti-studio. But like... if you asked some rando in Iowa or Alabama or Kansas what they thought of this, I wonder how things would fall. Because, generally speaking, it feels like not many people are vibing with the studios' messaging. But again, my perspective in insanely skewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWWQUZrvOw&t=19s

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mordiceius posted:

I'd be really curious to see how public opinion of the strike is over in more rural areas. …
In Indiana, but have worked on tech for production, post, or exhibition forever. Local people I’ve talked to, or describing what they heard. Some of them understand, most don’t care, yet others see writers and actors as part of the woke left coming to make their kids trans and are delighting. Also ignorant techbros that think ai will do it all eventually anyway.

Nobody that hasn’t seen it seems to understand that a film set can feel like a factory floor, or fast food restaurant with no fixed schedule where you don’t know your shift until the manager calls, cranking out as much as they can get in as little time and for the least money possible. The utter insane bullshit that writers go through where e.g. finishing a feature script is only the beginning of the process is alien.

Talking is good, forwarding Adam Conover stuff was great for the one person that watched it and got back to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

now I’m no c-level with a fancy gold Rolodex but this seems like money better spent on bribes and sabotage

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not sure a random person in Chicago or Boston has much of an opinion, either.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

now I’m no c-level with a fancy gold Rolodex but this seems like money better spent on bribes and sabotage
maybe the pinkertons are thinking about unionizing too at this point

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I imagine there's going to be a full court press to blame the lack of new TV on the strikers in the fall. Outside of losing late night TV most average folks haven't felt the impact of the strike yet - that's going to change very quickly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I imagine there's going to be a full court press to blame the lack of new TV on the strikers in the fall. Outside of losing late night TV most average folks haven't felt the impact of the strike yet - that's going to change very quickly.

Even if the studios magically caved to all of the unions’ demands tomorrow, isn’t the damage probably already done with their future lineup?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/ethangach/status/1697730523286679667

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Regalingualius posted:

Even if the studios magically caved to all of the unions’ demands tomorrow, isn’t the damage probably already done with their future lineup?

Pretty much. All the networks' fall seasons were supposed to start in the next few weeks. NBC has a few shows already in the can (Quantum Leap, The Irrational, Magnum PI), but it's going to be an autumn of reruns and reality TV.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Pretty much. All the networks' fall seasons were supposed to start in the next few weeks. NBC has a few shows already in the can (Quantum Leap, The Irrational, Magnum PI), but it's going to be an autumn of reruns and reality TV.

TV IV - Television Stops

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A few shows that have already been on streaming for awhile are going to be on network TV like I believe Star Trek: Strange New Worlds for CBS is one, and Ms. Marvel on ABC (on two Saturdays) for another.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

It does help a bit this time, at least from the few random people I've talked to, that it's a little easier to boil down. They're making less episodes now so effectively everyone got a pay cut. Older people are very aware and usually already annoyed at having less episodes each season so it's a quick hit. They make less off of streaming while streaming (theoretically) makes a lot of money. Also they're worried about AI putting them out of work because the studios would be thrilled to churn out cheap, bad shows.

It feels like the "they want to record actors and just use an AI version and never pay extras again" gets a visceral reaction too. A lot of the stuff this strike is much easier to understand even without reading about how the industry works.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"They're literally trying to replace workers with robots" hits loving everybody where they live, save, like, 1%ers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/1697976418586775609

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

FlamingLiberal posted:

A few shows that have already been on streaming for awhile are going to be on network TV like I believe Star Trek: Strange New Worlds for CBS is one, and Ms. Marvel on ABC (on two Saturdays) for another.
Putting previously streaming content on broadcast seems like a wildcard in the studios favor?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Which is why they need to strike a deal NOW; they will need time to get everything up and running after the fall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Putting previously streaming content on broadcast seems like a wildcard in the studios favor?

To a degree but a large chunk of the potential audience has seen these shows and I'm not sure how this impacts residuals for people involved in those shows.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gaz-L posted:

To a degree but a large chunk of the potential audience has seen these shows and I'm not sure how this impacts residuals for people involved in those shows.

Actual residuals I’m guessing!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would imagine there is some clause where there are no residuals if a streaming show ends up on broadcast

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Remulak posted:

Actual residuals I’m guessing!

Yep, the WGA contract is explicit about this.

quote:

(c) Use in Traditional Media
The Company shall pay residuals for the use of an Original[/Derivative] New Media Production in “traditional media” (e.g., free television, basic cable, pay television, home video) as a supplemental use under existing MBA formulas.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 2, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't there some exception for the first airing as 'promotion'?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't there some exception for the first airing as 'promotion'?

I can't find the exact language on that in the 2020 contract, but it should be limited to 3 episodes per series, and limited to a specific timeframe (possibly they all have to air in one week?). One of the points the AMPTP and WGA have agreed to is to up that count to 4 episodes for the new contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Depends. The Ms. Marvel thing seems weird and may just legitimately be to try and get more people invested before the movie comes out. I can't imagine it will be too much of a difference for Yellowstone either, since it already ran the 1st season on broadcast before, just cable rather than CBS. It's got more buzz so it might pick up people who were interested enough to check it out but not interested enough to do a Paramount+ trial. Not sure how big that group is.

Strange New Worlds seems to be the only standout, but I'm biased since it might be the only one I'd bother to watch since I don't have Paramount+ and I've been too behind to bother getting it.

They did this last strike with airing premium cable on network and it didn't seem to make much of an impact from what I remember. It was nice for my teen self to watch a heavily censored version of Dexter's first season, I guess. Which is the other problem that they usually have to censor shows for broadcast. The promo run of The Good Fight back when they did it was at least funny, where they'd cut away from a sex scene and just overlay "Hey, this is too explicit for broadcast, but if you want to see it, get Paramount+." Guess it wouldn't matter for Star Trek. Not sure how much swearing there is in Yellowstone.