Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.

indigi posted:

of course she does! her music and poo poo is all very well done, a bunch of number one singles, fun interviews and live performances etc. but Rihanna has all that (in addition to building a billion dollar fashion/makeup industry) and never ascended to the same heights as Swift. I’m trying to delineate what took her from "very popular artist" to "megapopular cult-lite following"

The obvious answer is racism, but secondary to that is the trick of making Taylor simultaneously relatable and untouchable. Taylor's central thesis is being independent, resilient, and entirely self-built, which people have been trained to respect as a virtue that cuts down any argument against the perverse rewards of success. Rihanna doesn't play a guitar/piano on stage, so it's harder to buy into the narrative of her art being made without the support of collaborators/contaminators of her vision. Identifying with an artist who's "only" a singer acting as a figurehead for the machinery of pop art production and promotion is a greater leap because of how that machinery is never going to be accessible to a fan. The machinery of success presented in the Taylor narrative is a guitar and a journal, which means that there are entire stadiums full of people who feel like they could make something similar to Taylor if they had the time to sit down and practice. I personally prefer the music of Rihanna over Taylor, but Taylor has done a better job at managing her public illusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

critical support for the Swifts in this because it seems like it'll put pressure on the AMPTP
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1697354144292466969?s=20

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

eh any act that's been on the road long enough has poo poo like that. My wife's favorite band from high school plays every year at the Sinclair in Cambridge MA for $25 a pop and they have little traditions that keep coming up too

is it piebald

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

now there's a name I haven't heard in years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ray stevens still performs at a residency in nashville. he's 84

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gay stevens

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

When Taylor Swift dropped her last album didn't she make like a passing reference to a scarf which it was revealed had something to do with her breakup with some famous actor and they all put scarf emojis in their Twitter handles for like a year and harassed him over it

That is one of the more subtle Taylor Swift ex-boyfriend diss track memes

I name-dropped them later, it's Carbon Leaf

They've got a whole-rear end cult following and I'd never heard of them before she made me a mix cd for the first time

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

indigi posted:

for the past decade she's marketed herself as wrongly persecuted, from Kanye to Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Demi Lovato, to all her exes (a few of whom she actively hosed with but spun it as an innocent mistake when they pointed this out). there's probably half a dozen I'm missing. she's the apotheosis of every white girl's fantasy about their own lives (and it involves righteous anger at famous black people)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've never seen a one piece but watched the first ep of the live action version and it's...good? i like the lead a whole lot

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have a fun idea lets discuss what the best films are that didnt receive any mentions in last years sight and sound poll heres a list of every film that received at least one mention in that poll for reference

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zR2_O_uoz4R_w9oXEC8m33BZ2I7ImsS7h1Y0rUjsNy0/

i suggest searching by director instead of title if possible because all non english film titles are transcribed in their original language also note that the english titles include definite articles

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

i have a fun idea lets discuss what the best films are that didnt receive any mentions in last years sight and sound poll

billy jack

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Amid growing speculation of internal divisions within the C-suites and a lack of any apparent path forward to end the writers and actors strikes, the chiefs of Hollywood’s biggest studios are set to gather today.

Disney’s Dana Walden and Alan Bergman, Amazon Studios’ Mike Hopkins and Jennifer Salke, Netflix’s Ted Sarandos, Universal’s Donna Langley, and Warner Bros Discovery’s David Zaslav are among those scheduled to attend the virtual sit-down later Wednesday, we hear.

Mouse House CEO Bob Iger will not be participating in this meeting, reverting to his earlier stance of having Walden and Bergman be primarily hands-on over the labor actions. Part of that for Iger, we understand, was an overall CEO approach to keep some distance to be ready for the appropriate time to get more directly engaged.

It is unclear whether AMPTP President Carol Lombardini will be present at this afternoon’s meeting.

As the blowback intensifies from the disastrous August 22 meeting with Iger, Sarandos, Langley, Zaslav, the AMPTP’s Lombardini and WGA negotiators, and subsequent release of the studios’ latest proposal, there are no new talks set with the guild. Add to that the WGA rejection the deal and on August 24 calling it “neither nothing, nor nearly enough,” mistrust between the parties is at an all-time high, we hear. That translates into the WGA and the AMPTP being nowhere near a deal to end the 121-day scribes strike — not to mention the SAG-AFRTA strike, which is in Day 48.

The AMPTP said it is waiting the official response from the WGA to the August 11 offer. The guild says it made a counter on August 15 and that the ball is in the studios and streamers’ court.

All of which means, newly hired crisis PR firm the Levinson Group might find that its principal task right out the gate is handling the tension between studio CEOs as the writers strike goes deep into its fourth month.

“Before some wanted to blame Carol, accused her of being stuck using a pre-streaming playbook,” an individual familiar with the divisions among the studio and streamers bosses. “Now that have only themselves to blame for how bad things look. That’s why they brought in the Levinson Group, and that’s why they are squabbling.”

According to several sources, for instance, it was streaming kingpin Sarandos who lectured WGA leaders at that gathering last week about why they had to take the AMPTP’s latest offer. Others say that, while Sarandos certainly wasn’t pliant, it was Iger who was “the loudest voice in the room” with the other CEOs and the WGA brass on August 22. “That approach spectacularly flamed out, and then they made it worse by putting their offer out in public the same night,” one industry vet states of the outcome of the studio bosses’ browbeating meeting with guild leaders and the attempt to go around the WGA negotiating committee directly to members.

In particular, “thin skinned” Iger and Zaslav are “stunned,” according to one insider, that they have been so vilified by the guild and its members over the past several months. “Almost everyone is looking for someone to blame,” another insider says of the backbiting among the core CEOs. “They’re paralyzed, even as the clock is ticking, and it’s Ted’s fault, Iger’s fault, even Tony Vinciquerra’s fault, depending on who you ask,” the source added, name-checking the Netflix co-CEO, the Disney CEO and the Sony Pictures chair and CEO. “It’s not helping the situation, or anyone.”

Following a weekend where a number of top tier showrunners were contacted by agents unsuccessfully urging them to support the latest AMPTP proposal, today’s get-together is in part to ensure that CEOs don’t stumble into a position where they’re negotiating against themselves. While there have been reports out there that Netflix could be willing to bend toward the WGA on a number of points, others say that Hollywood’s top brass are on the same page when it comes to their approach with the guilds.

Additionally, the fear for some major studio leaders is that if even if there is a deal in the coming weeks and production resumes on movies in the new year, a dry spell in the theatrical release calendar will exist, much in the way it did last year between August and October due to the post-production logjam created by Covid. Some movies on the near horizon for Q4 and Q1 are in need of ADR and, if the strikes continue, could get pushed. For Hollywood’s top leaders, the longer the strikes go on, less product in both film and TV is apt to be made in the next calendar year. Less product means fewer jobs.

“These guys are worried about what comes next, after the strike,” another well-placed source states. “Remember, they’re competitors, they’re always thinking about how to best each other. The strikes don’t change that.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the thing that tipped me off to the power of Taylor Swift's marketing was I kept hearing "All Too Well" so often that I started listening to it all on its own and then when I looked for it I realized that it was part of the "Red" album, which was released all the way back in 2012, but had a "Taylor's Version" re-release in 2021.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you were "tipped off" because you heard the new version she released and thought that was part of some plot?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you were "tipped off" because you heard the new version she released and thought that was part of some plot?

I mean a song of hers that's over a decade old became popular again just because it got a recent re-release. I'm not implying anything "malicious", but I did think it was rather clever of her and her team to able to spin a legal battle into a long-range project to get people to buy the same product a second time.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hmm
https://twitter.com/onewiththegif/status/1697416939797086217?s=20

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I say this as someone who liked the Filoni cartoons: he probably should stick to them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's stupid as poo poo and it owns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Yah that's the first thing I've seen from Ashoka that actually looks fun

She moves so slow lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's stupid as poo poo and it owns

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean a song of hers that's over a decade old became popular again just because it got a recent re-release. I'm not implying anything "malicious", but I did think it was rather clever of her and her team to able to spin a legal battle into a long-range project to get people to buy the same product a second time.

maybe that's what makes a true Swiftie. someone who is willing to pay actual money for a CD or a record.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You probably wanna be careful in zero gravity!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

C-Euro posted:

No one in Star Wars has ever died from falling off of a high surface, he'll be back.

lmfao oh my god, you are right, there's a 50/50 chance the next sequel is gunna feature a 900 year old sam jackson whose living as a hermit yoda guy and has to train new baby yoda rey to defeat even bigger palpatine clone bad 3.0

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
in good media news instead of bad garbage for children: I started watching I'm a Virgo, it's good so far. would recommend.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I watched a few episodes of Derry Girls and it's funny as hell

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

been looking for a couple months and finally found a good rip of the new french three musketeers movie D'Artagnan with english subs. only got to the duel scene before bed but it rules. I love swords and heaving bosoms

goon project someone set up a plex that has all the weird poo poo we cant get from normal streaming services

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Foundation season 2 is really good

In addition to the always great Cleon parts, they added The Wacky Adventures of Hober Mallow and The Space Monks, as well as The Navy Gays

Just continue to fast forward through all the lovely Gaal Dornick parts like season 1 and you're golden

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Also they revealed The Mule and he looks exactly like the guy from Die Antwoord lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SAG-AFTRA’s National Board has voted unanimously to send a strike authorization vote to members in advance of bargaining dates with signatory video game companies, the union said on Friday.

Its Interactive Media Agreement was extended beyond the original expiration date a year ago, but according to SAG-AFTRA, further negotiations failed to address key issues such as wage increases, rest periods and AI protections.

“Here we go again! Now our Interactive (Video Game) Agreement is at a stalemate too. Once again we are facing employer greed and disrespect. Once again artificial intelligence is putting our members in jeopardy of reducing their opportunity to work. And once again, SAG-AFTRA is standing up to tyranny on behalf of its members,” said SAG-AFTRA president Fran Drescher, referencing the union’s current strike over its TV/theatrical contract with the AMPTP. “The overlap of these two SAG-AFTRA contracts is no coincidence, but rather a predictable issue impacting our industry as well as others all over the world. The disease of greed is spreading like wildfire ready to burn workers out of their livelihoods and humans out of their usefulness. We at SAG-AFTRA say NO! Not on our watch!”

The union is seeking protective language in the contract that will require informed consent and “appropriate” payment for the creation and use of digital replicas and for training AI systems with members’ performances. Additionally, SAG-AFTRA is seeking the same wage increases for video game performers as for those who work under the film and television contracts: 11 percent retroactive to expiration and 4 percent increases in the second and third years of the agreement.

The union said it is also asking for on-camera performers to have a five-minutes-per-hour rest period, as well as a set medic present when stunts or hazardous work is performed, prohibitions against stunts on self-taped auditions, and vocal stress protections.

Information postcards will be mailed to voters on Sept. 5 and voting is scheduled to conclude on Sept. 25. Informational meetings for union members are scheduled to be held Sept. 7 and Sept. 12.

Signatory game companies include Activision Productions, Blindlight, Disney Character Voices, Electronic Arts Productions, Epic Games, Formosa Interactive, Insomniac Games, Take 2 Productions, VoiceWorks Productions and WB Games.

Said SAG-AFTRA national executive director and chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland: “The voice and performance capture artists who bring video game characters to life deserve a contract that reflects the value they bring to the multibillion-dollar gaming industry. Voice and performance capture AI are already among the most advanced uses of AI: the threat is here and it is real. Without contractual protections, the employers are asking performers to unknowingly participate in the extinction of their artistry and livelihoods.”

Audrey Cooling, spokesperson for the video game producers party to the Interactive Media Agreement, added in a statement, “We all want a fair contract that reflects the important contributions of SAG-AFTRA-represented performers in an industry that delivers world-class entertainment to billions of players around the world. We are negotiating in good faith and hope to reach a mutually beneficial deal as soon as possible.”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

*Disney execs watching the success of a show with a literal Mary Sue who drives a hot rod and swings around a black lightsaber* "why are none of our other spinoffs this successful? What's the secret?"

does anyone else remember before this show came out and the main talking points about it were that it was making racists on the internet mad

im not even sure it was actually making racists on the internet mad this just seems be like the entire disney marketing strategy now we made this thing because we knew it would make racists on the internet mad

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i've never seen a one piece but watched the first ep of the live action version and it's...good? i like the lead a whole lot

I just finished the season, and there were a couple of weird sour notes, but I mostly enjoyed it and am actually excited for the next season. Unlike Disney and most of their Star Wars shows, Netflix actually put money and effort into this adaptation, and it really shows. Lots of good fight choreography.

Yeah, Luffy could have been a character just as irritating as Ed from the live action Cowboy Bebop, but the actor really did a good job of translating that character into live action without it being annoying. Really, most of the supporting cast is pretty good. Apparently the guy who plays Zoro is Sonny Chiba's son.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 08:50 on Sep 3, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From what I've seen it seems like Luffy has a bit more of a... hate to say it, Marvel protagonist vibe, but thing is I think that works perfectly for him. The whole bit with agreeing with Coby about all the awful pirates with wanted posters and then going "Where's mine?" feels like it works.

I think the trick is Luffy is a wacky and silly character but he's also deeply friendly and empathetic. He won't go out of his way to annoy or harass people and won't ignore their feelings unless he has good reason to.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

she looks awkward in that first shot because of greenscreen poo poo but the flip was cool

Grey Fox has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Sep 2, 2023

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I've seen it seems like Luffy has a bit more of a... hate to say it, Marvel protagonist vibe, but thing is I think that works perfectly for him. The whole bit with agreeing with Coby about all the awful pirates with wanted posters and then going "Where's mine?" feels like it works.

I think the trick is Luffy is a wacky and silly character but he's also deeply friendly and empathetic. He won't go out of his way to annoy or harass people and won't ignore their feelings unless he has good reason to.

He's also good at inspiring people and bringing the best out of them. I don't think he's a Marvel protagonist though. Marvel Heroes are quippy and ironic. Luffy is earnest and sincere.

Marvel Protagonist: "Axe Hand Morgan? Pfft, let me guess, he's got an AXE for a HAND, right???" *Sees Axe Hand Morgan* "OHH GREAT. Of course he does!"

Luffy: "Axe Hand Morgan? Why do they call him Axe Hand Morgan?" *Sees Axe Hand Morgan* "Woah, he's got an Axe for a hand! That's cool!"

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

does anyone else remember before this show came out and the main talking points about it were that it was making racists on the internet mad

im not even sure it was actually making racists on the internet mad this just seems be like the entire disney marketing strategy now we made this thing because we knew it would make racists on the internet mad

mad?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

in good media news instead of bad garbage for children: I started watching I'm a Virgo, it's good so far. would recommend.

saw the first ep and dunno if i'll continue, it's weird as hell and the ending looked like it was about to get a lot more strange

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I watched a few episodes of Derry Girls and it's funny as hell

my mom recommended this to me last year and i ended up watching the whole thing lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

It's a mark of how uniquely bourg Hamilton is/was that they didn't just tape a performance and throw it up on Netflix in like 2017

they could do this with any Broadway show but it would dilute the brand.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

i have a fun idea lets discuss what the best films are that didnt receive any mentions in last years sight and sound poll heres a list of every film that received at least one mention in that poll for reference

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zR2_O_uoz4R_w9oXEC8m33BZ2I7ImsS7h1Y0rUjsNy0/

i suggest searching by director instead of title if possible because all non english film titles are transcribed in their original language also note that the english titles include definite articles

spring breakers. still my fave American film of the last, jeez, decade now since it came out.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

could you make Tropic Thunder today, thanks to wokeism?

nobody can make most movies today not because of wokeism but because hollywood is dead set on driving itself off a cliff developing terrible remakes about increasingly arcane brands nobody cares about instead of producing original screenplays

conservatives blame wokeism because the actual explanation makes capitalism sound bad and liberals talk about conservatives blaming wokeism because its easier to imply that this cant be the explanation since anything a conservative says must be wrong than it is for them to come up with their own explanation

mysteriously this has somehow resulted in a discourse where the conservative explanation is becoming increasingly popular but fortunately this dynamic only exists in pop culture wed sure be in a big mess if our actual important politics worked like this too wouldnt we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

loquacius posted:

It's a mark of how uniquely bourg Hamilton is/was that they didn't just tape a performance and throw it up on Netflix in like 2017

didn't disney stream it a couple years later?