Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Gunshow Poophole posted:

gently caress

Sorry dude :(

It’s been two loving weeks! I blame my gastro too, shouldn’t have ever listened to her about restarting my medication so soon after testing negative. I should have given it another week since it really suppressed my immune system.

Now I’m stuck at home another goddamn weekend, was hoping to get out of the house and rest/have some help with the kids for a few days but nope. Trapped again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

It’s been two loving weeks! I blame my gastro too, shouldn’t have ever listened to her about restarting my medication so soon after testing negative. I should have given it another week since it really suppressed my immune system.

Now I’m stuck at home another goddamn weekend, was hoping to get out of the house and rest/have some help with the kids for a few days but nope. Trapped again.

Oh dang yeah I'd forgotten about your rinvoq

That's a real rock and a hard place though, I wouldn't be too hard on your doc or yourself. Just another impossible situation you're now subject to thanks to the government and the wealthy who run it

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
should have asked your other gastroenterologist for a second opinion

that sucks I’m sorry

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Oh dang yeah I'd forgotten about your rinvoq

That's a real rock and a hard place though, I wouldn't be too hard on your doc or yourself. Just another impossible situation you're now subject to thanks to the government and the wealthy who run it

Be nice if COVID/karma bit these motherfuckers in the rear end the way it is to us but their money and power protect them.

Now I have to buy tests and pay sales tax on them lmfao? I burned through my stockpile of free tests this last week, just absurd.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I keep reading the thread title as "zero dark harambe"

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.

Zantie posted:

I dunno man, I've heard some pretty lovely stories regarding people in wheelchairs getting pushed around w/o asking. Nevermind the whole issue of people who just go up and touch a stranger's belly when they think they might be pregnant.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You mean like the lady who told my wheelchair bound 8 year old nephew that if he prayed hard enough, God would fix his legs?

They don't give a gently caress. People like this are complete assholes, but they are 100% sure they're the good guys.

I don't disagree with either of you, but I also have to maintain some kind of hope that we're only in the opening stages of how masking will ultimately be viewed/respected in America. I spent the summer watching the renovation of an old building and took note of how many resources were spent on adding a wheelchair ramp where there were only stairs before. I get that searching for optimism in the dark pit of covid despair and cynicism is probably not useful though

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
you're good people, GXL

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

DickParasite posted:

A friend of mine got got this week for the first time after managing to avoid it for 3.5 years inspite of having school-aged kids.
i'm still amazed my kids never got it in school/daycare
lol they'll have some immunity when school starts next week lmaooo

Gildiss posted:

Fingers crossed. Taking an 11 hour flight, direct. However, going to be in business class, and juiced up with Flo Travel and my N95.

Zugzwang posted:

Sorry goon, hope you and the family heal up soon.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

aww dang

feel better and take the second course anyway imo, it's good enough for tony faucet

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

reported for hoarding medicine at the expense of orphans

Zantie posted:

Aw gently caress.
and yeah thanks everyone, feeling better every day, based paxlovid is based
having a reason to call out of work and play games and watch tv shows all day rules
after this 5 day course i plan to double dip tony style and use the next 5 day course, it's not hoarding if you use it right/.???//
my spouse is a rules follower and is sticking to the doctors prescription of one 5 day course, hopefully she doesn't get hit with a rebound

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Koirhor posted:

everytime I see a chart like this my brain just replays the scene from interstellar with the waves on that planet, just endless inescapable waves

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol lmao

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Tzen posted:

i'm still amazed my kids never got it in school/daycare
lol they'll have some immunity when school starts next week lmaooo

and yeah thanks everyone, feeling better every day, based paxlovid is based
having a reason to call out of work and play games and watch tv shows all day rules
after this 5 day course i plan to double dip tony style and use the next 5 day course, it's not hoarding if you use it right/.???//
my spouse is a rules follower and is sticking to the doctors prescription of one 5 day course, hopefully she doesn't get hit with a rebound

You got sick too? loving Seattle, we got hit hard and it’s nowhere to be found in the news. I just hear about it from everyone around me, they’re getting sick or friends and family.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rochallor posted:

some fuckhead ripped my mask off in the parking lot.
loving hell sorry this happened to you, people are loving insane

Animal-Mother posted:

My buddy got accosted in a store for wearing a mask. "The mask will give you cancer! Do your research! Sheep!"

"Sir, we're three years into this. What makes you think anybody, on any side, will change their mind at this point?"

".......... gently caress you!"
again, people are loving insane

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

You got sick too? loving Seattle, we got hit hard and it’s nowhere to be found in the news. I just hear about it from everyone around me, they’re getting sick or friends and family.
yeah Seattle, but we got got during 24 hours of international travel, most likely on the 12-hour international flight though
there were tons of people coughing throughout the flight and well kids need to eat so it was a dice roll and we lost
the only silver lining to this is at least we got it on the way home, didn't ruin our international trip, plus it's much nicer to be sick as poo poo while in the comfort of your home

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

also another shout out to op and Sesame Care
within 2 hours of our positive tests i was picking up our paxlovid prescriptions from the pharmacy

after testing positive my spouse had all the questions and i answer them but it's followed up with 'you think you know about covid but you're not a doctor'
30 minutes later and we're doing the video screening with a doc from sesame care, lol all his answers were exactly the same as mine :getin:

and had a nice internal lmao moment during the call when the doc asked where we think we got it
'on the flight home most likely'
'oh were you traveling from india or japan?'
lmao ‘yea’

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
When I talk to Sesame care I'm an immunocompromised diabetic smoker.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1697332367055077788

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tzen posted:

and had a nice internal lmao moment during the call when the doc asked where we think we got it
'on the flight home most likely'
'oh were you traveling from india or japan?'
lmao ‘yea’

:psyduck:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Just realized that in addition to our staffing problem getting worse because the rear end in a top hat boss is running people off by being an rear end and also never solving our staffing problem, we're going to have people out sick left and right when the students swarm in for fall quarter and bring the pestilence with them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Diseases can only come from other countries. It's literally declared endemic in the US but you must have got it some other dirty foreign place and not here.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Rochallor posted:

some fuckhead ripped my mask off in the parking lot.

Animal-Mother posted:

My buddy got accosted in a store for wearing a mask. "The mask will give you cancer! Do your research! Sheep!"

"Sir, we're three years into this. What makes you think anybody, on any side, will change their mind at this point?"

".......... gently caress you!"

I gotta say, even tho upstate NY is full of chuds, I still see lots of people wearing masks here. I don't get people who think covid isn't a big deal or even real. None of the doubters trust the govt/Dems afaict and yet are willing to risk getting sick under a Biden admin. seems like a contraction

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

first day of eZoo festival just got cancelled due to "global supply chain issues"

:hmmrona:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Fleetwood posted:

I gotta say, even tho upstate NY is full of chuds, I still see lots of people wearing masks here. I don't get people who think covid isn't a big deal or even real. None of the doubters trust the govt/Dems afaict and yet are willing to risk getting sick under a Biden admin. seems like a contraction

They’ll believe every conspiracy theory you could ever put in front of them

…except that the government and business is letting everyone get sick and telling everyone there’s nothing going on so they can make money and make people work.

Straight up Dale Gribble poo poo. Black helicopters are tracking you with 5G chips to traffic your kids in secret, while your wife is having an affair upstairs

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Well, our household streak has ended. Partner came back yesterday from a short trip with a minor sore throat that became a major sore throat today, followed by a positive PCR. She's got a SesameCare appointment in a few minutes and we found a 24-hour pharmacy, so with any luck we'll have her on Pax before bedtime.

I don't have any symptoms yet (which makes sense given the timing) and we've got the windows open and are wearing masks, so mayyyybe I'll get lucky and maintain my streak.

I've said it before, and it's never been more true: I appreciate the people contributing helpful, actionable information to this thread so much. I'd be adrift without this collection of resources and reminders that we aren't the only ones trying not to get sick in the face of overwhelming political and social forces to the contrary.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
new twitter slang dropped

“I think I hauve Covid” = I’m getting a fever and getting dizzy from being horny

https://twitter.com/emmatolkin/status/1697290533717348659?s=46

https://twitter.com/insectyuri/status/1694936548079489042?s=46

https://twitter.com/beerstix/status/1695822953416421574?s=46

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Last week my cousin got hit. (Second time)
This week my aunt got hit.

Both are vaccinated. So they didn't come down hard.

When my cousin got hit, the first time, 2022, they also got hand foot mouth from their kid.

So mixing that with covid's blood clotting ability, I think it made this horrifying situation, where they described that feeling of pin-needle-numbness, like when your foot falls asleep. But throughout their whole body, and it didn't go away for two days.

Or just covid. 3.5 years of full body long covid pins and needles here.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Thanks for the various comiserations, not quoting any because I'm phone posting from an empty field in Nebraska.

It is possible to both be horny and have covid (until your dick stops working).

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
thank you, Doctor

https://twitter.com/DickZoutman/status/1697412265123709088?t=_gPEIF9WEObzAnzoDXVW3w&s=19

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I can tell you that it was definitely the vibes with Iron Crowned that made dogs hate him, I've never met a dog with an issue with my secure click specifically.

I mean, when you look that in the face and recognize it as another dog, I'm really not surprised either.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lib and let die posted:

I keep reading the thread title as "zero dark harambe"

team of navy seals traveling back in time to save him from the toddler

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

its so loving wild that there are doctors and nurses who are vehemently against ppe

your patients are sick. do you want to get sick from your patients? dont they... teach this sort of thing at med school?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

If you'd heard the stories I grew up with, or read the history it does not surprise.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Maybe you should ask a medical professional if you think PPE can prevent infection??

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
perhaps PPE is personally protecting you against health, hmmmmmm?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

denying myself sweet training particulates such that my virgin lungs are unprepared to facetank wildfire season

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

My wife’s oncologist was still masking but only a few of the nurses administering her actual treatment did after health worker mandates dropped here. They even tried to convince us we didn’t need to mask while here anymore after the policy changes, like we’d be relieved to be exposing an immunocompromised patient to needless risk in a dense place of sick people.

honestly it was a little baffling, like you’d think healthcare workers of all people would still be p enthusiastic about mask usage but nope.

I’m glad we wrapped up when we did. The general risk in public is bad and frustrating but hospitals being so cavalier about it just felt like a whole nother level of irresponsibility. At least her doctor was still good about it.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
spent the last 15 hours without power things are going great in America.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

healthcare workers are tired of protecting themselves and patients and deserve a little treat after the pandemic, loving faux leftists on cspam dictating to labor

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

science haters itt forgetting the cochrane review that CONCLUSIVELY PROOVED masks don't prevent transmission AT ALL

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Fauci saying, sure, this wavelet will have more hospitalizations and deaths, but it will mostly be the elderly and those with underlying conditions, and probably not enough to match prior waves

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66643426

if you ever had any doubt our COVID response is entirely yoked by capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

its so loving wild that there are doctors and nurses who are vehemently against ppe

your patients are sick. do you want to get sick from your patients? dont they... teach this sort of thing at med school?

I had these same questions until I read this article from before the pandemic

https://www.thepumphandle.org/2013/05/07/from-the-dentists-chair-remembering-how-they-cried-wolf

quote:

“Snazzy safety glasses,” I said to the dental hygienist who was just about to ask me to open wide. Something about the pink rims caught my eye and led me to a remark that showed my age:

“I remember when dentists didn’t wear gloves, or masks, or eye protection.”

I not only recall the bare hands of my dentist circa 1970-1980, I also remember the hullabaloo from dentists when new federal regulations were proposed in 1989 requiring them to provide such protection for their hygienists. At the time, the term “AIDS’ was less than 10 years old, and exposure to HIV in the U.S. was considered a death sentence.

The OSHA proposal was based in part on guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on methods to reduce healthcare workers’ exposure to bloodborne pathogens, such as HIV and Hepatitis B. The guidelines embraced the concept of “universal precautions” to protect against exposure to blood and other body fluids. The CDC noted that in dental settings, saliva should be considered a hazardous body fluid because it is likely to be contaminated with blood during typical dental procedures. The dentists scoffed. No, they did more than scoff.

The sky was falling, and it would be the end of dental care as we knew it. Children would be frightened by hygienists in surgical masks. Gloves would hinder a dentist’s fine motor skills. The excuses went on and on. The letters flooded OSHA’s offices. I worked at OSHA during the time and remember it well. We answered letter after letter from Members of Congress who were writing on behalf of the dentists in their districts. Why was OSHA killing the tooth fairy?

It was ridiculous at the time, and looking back, still ridiculous.

The American Dental Association (ADA) was leading the charge against OSHA’s bloodborne pathogens rule. The ADA argued, among other things, that there was little evidence to show that dentists or hygienists were at risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens. “I don’t have any hygienists who’ve developed AIDS or contracted hepatitis,” the dentists would say. Even if they admitted that they or their employees were at risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens, the ADA insisted that dentists were highly trained professionals. They could decide for themselves and for their employees if, or when gloves, masks for goggles should be worn. Dentists didn’t need the government telling them how to run their businesses.

The ADA pulled out all the stops to try to avoid the OSHA regulation. They participated actively in the public rulemaking process, organized letter writing campaigns and sought Congressional intervention. In an op-ed published in the New York Times on November 12, 1989, New Haven, CT periodontist Avrum Goldstein expressed his opposition this way:

“…these regulations will bring about changes in the dentist-patient relationship and make it more difficult to practice dentistry. By its nature, dentistry is an intimate occupation. The dentist works within an inch of a patient’s head, probing sensitive, often tender areas of the patient’s body. The mouth embodies our ability to smile, kiss, talk and eat—all very emotional qualities. Patients needs a warm and trusting relationship with their dentist to help overcome fears and make necessary dentistry possible. It will be more difficult to establish this relationship when the dentist is gowned, shielded, and masked. [These barriers] will have a profound effect on the relationship between the dentist and patient.”

But shielding against deadly viruses with common sense protections would eventually trump arguments about emotions. When the rule was finalized in December 1991, the ADA exercised their right under the OSH Act to challenge the rule before the U.S. Court of Appeals. The court didn’t buy their arguments either. In January 1993, the OSHA rule was upheld and would apply to dental practices.

(...)

there were a chunk of dentists who fought for the right to grope your mouth with their bare hands and inhale all your bloody aerosols but were cruelly denied by the tyrannical Bush Sr. administration

I think you can take people from just about any profession, tell them that they need additional PPE for their job to be done well and you'll see at least a decent chunk of them get pissy.