Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

redshirt posted:

Can you stand there for a bit and take a few quality control drinks before topping off and walking away?

Sadly no it counts the ounces and charges as it pours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

A bunch of restaurants in my lovely town have installing "pourmybeer" systems. https://pourmybeer.com

Basically, you give the waitstaff your debit card, and for the pleasure you get your own temporary access card and get to pour your own drinks from a tap wall and pay by the ounce.

Its incredible horseshit.

Yeah, I would not visit any establishment with this fresh hell installed.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Last Visible Dog posted:

The default Windows image viewing software must have recently changed/updated or something, and it now includes some sort of thumbnail viewer at the bottom. This was accompanied by an unsolicited popup tip telling me that there's a thumbnail viewer now. After I closed it, there was another unsolicited popup tip urging me to download Microsoft's video editing software.

I couldn't immediately figure out how to cleanly view the image (there was now a thumbnail viewer blocking the bottom part), so I went into the settings to see if I could disable the stupid thing. In the settings I was met with an unskippable two-part unsolicited sales pitch to keep my file safe with OneDrive and how to learn more. After fighting through that another unsolicited popup tip appeared that I didn't read because I had closed the program in frustration.

This is the stupidest future.

speaking of that lovely app, within the last 6 months it got a patch and now anytime it opens a video it's muted and there are not setting or preference options to make it not do that

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

also lol that analog world poo poo ain't the way it's gonna go

No, instead we'll likely have pretty much no culture aside from a dribble of schlock dispensed through our dumb terminals at pathetic bandwidths while the bulk of computer technology is repurposed for war, surveillance, policing, and administration :smith:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Woolie Wool posted:

No, instead we'll likely have pretty much no culture aside from a dribble of schlock dispensed through our dumb terminals at pathetic bandwidths while the bulk of computer technology is repurposed for war, surveillance, policing, and administration :smith:

as long as I got power, a turntable or other audio input and an amp I can use my 6XX

lol

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
here's something that hasn't gotten shittier: big-rear end beyerdynamic headphones. DT700s and DT100s are the best, have been for years, and to my knowledge haven't been sold off to some private equity consortium to strip mine a sustainable business of making and selling good products.

if everything was like that it'd at least make pro-capitalist arguments look less like total self-delusion. they'd still be wrong but at least they wouldn't be entirely based on fiction

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I want to cause irreparable body damage to whoever at Canon made their printers. I’ve never dealt with a printer this dogshit in my life. Why is the printhead poo poo over dozens of models. Why do I need magenta for black and white (I know why but loving cmon it’s 2023)

I had Lexmarks and HPs with a better longevity. My mom’s Obama era HP all in one still works inexplicably, how the gently caress does this collapse so easily

Can’t wait to print incredibly sensitive documents at the library!!!!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Humanity has given up on printers, and printers have given up on humanity

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Jawnycat posted:

I'm about to get a new pc and it's probably gonna come preloaded with it, what horrors am I in for as someone who begrudgingly upgraded to 10 from 7 when support ended.

You know when you right click a file and get a bunch of options like Cut Copy Paste Delete and so on? Well I hope you hate words but enjoy vague icons

Snipping Tool has been replaced with a large, crowded application

It's not too different though. Windows is still absolutely loving clueless on how to juggle OneDrive for work and personal, Teams for work and personal, etc.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i print like once or twice a month, never in color, and i'm constantly replacing all four cartridges. this is a brother printer. they're all just as bad. i bought brother cause they don't try and force you to subscribe to their ink, but it's no better.

wanted to print a package return label in BW but the yellow cartridge is empty and it refuses. i have never printed a color document and they are constantly doing this. i now have to go buy all four cause you can't just buy yellow. generics can't be trusted. it's so horrible a scam i can't believe no one is in jail for this. it's clear collusion between the four companies to all do this. i just need to print like 30 pages a year at home.

the worst thing is it was a solved problem for many decades. I owned an inkjet in the 00s that cost about 90 bucks and changed cartridge like twice in 10 years. it's insane nobody can break this cartel

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Humanity has given up on printers, and printers have given up on humanity

Soon, I fear, it will come to WAR!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Aren’t those pour my beer systems the ones bartenders said were really gross because of uncleaned lines or something? I think they used to push them on Bar Rescue

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Cheapest duplex brother b&w laser for home printing, photo store (or online ordering) if you need high quality color prints

vvv: :yeah:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 2, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My motto when it comes to printers is that printers are a thing that you use at work and that work fixes when they inevitably break

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Professor Shark posted:

My motto when it comes to printers is that printers are a thing that you use at work and that work fixes when they inevitably break

believe me i would if i worked in an office job

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Still using an ancient Canon laser printer which has already reached the age of consent and is 1 year away from being able to legally drink in the USA.

It's excellent if you only have to print something a couple of times a year. The replacement toner i got 10 years ago, is still good. Print quality not great but for text, schematic diagrams and shipping labels it's completely fine.

The common advice in shops is that you should buy a laser if you print a LOT. It should be supplemented with 'And also if you print almost nothing' cause toner doesn't age very quickly, and it doesn't dump half its 'ink' out in lovely cleaning cycles that then clog up the print head's maxi pad that can't be replaced.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Still using an ancient Canon laser printer which has already reached the age of consent and is 1 year away from being able to legally drink in the USA.

It's excellent if you only have to print something a couple of times a year. The replacement toner i got 10 years ago, is still good. Print quality not great but for text, schematic diagrams and shipping labels it's completely fine.

The common advice in shops is that you should buy a laser if you print a LOT. It should be supplemented with 'And also if you print almost nothing' cause toner doesn't age very quickly, and it doesn't dump half its 'ink' out in lovely cleaning cycles that then clog up the print head's maxi pad that can't be replaced.

HP's got them sensors in the tonor that shut down the printer till you order more toner I heard

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Find out where your state sells the old equipment, my color laser cost me $30 and another $130 to fix, fixing being putting in a toner cartridge. It's the size of a mini fridge and on the right paper prints acceptable pictures. Had a 24" inkjet for a bit and not using it damages the print head, turning it off too long damages the print head, anything but constant use was bad for the print head. Nice picture quality though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

There are still people who follow the old ways. You just have to find them. (They host weaving workshops at libraries and sell pottery at small folk music festivals)

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Ink Cartriges are a well known scam, and most printers are designed to waste as much ink as physically possible (wasteful cleaning cycles before printing every page, mixing cyan ink with the black when printing b&w, etc); the average cartridge has like 5ml of usable ink in it, and the printer will err on the side of caution with when it calls it empty, so you'll use like 2ml of it before it goes "nah". And yeah, most now use chipped cartridges to "ensure quality" which translates to "no third party ink, no partial replacements, and no manually refilling the cartridges or your printer stops working".

A bottle of generic third-party printer ink costs like $20, and could be used to print something like tens of thousands of pages before you run out, but your printer is going to do everything in it's power to refuse it's use.

(I recently watched a buncha youtube videos about the topic while wasting my life away, ain't got no actual expertise here)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you think that printer tracker dots and the whole ink racket thing would fuel a lively homebrew printer firmware and stuff, but apparently even tech weirdos dont care because even printers just work meh enough?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just print at work

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You think that's printer ink you're breathing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tech weirdos just print at work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

redshirt posted:

You think that's printer ink you're breathing?

Yes :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That's three whole pages worth of printed text in ink that's just wasted!

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I see in the splash pattern that person was very lucky. The toner somehow missed exactly where he was standing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All You Can Eat posted:

I see in the splash pattern that person was very lucky. The toner somehow missed exactly where he was standing.

Back, and to the right

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

All You Can Eat posted:

I wonder what the inside of their lungs looked like after that.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I got a cheap B&W laser printer like 14 years ago. I’ve had to replace the toner three times, it’s never broken or inconvenienced me, and it’s always there working when I need it. In the rare case I need photo prints, it’s easy to order online.

I completely forget that inkjets exist except when I hear people complain about them. Why do people keep buying them?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I got a cheap B&W laser printer like 14 years ago. I’ve had to replace the toner three times, it’s never broken or inconvenienced me, and it’s always there working when I need it. In the rare case I need photo prints, it’s easy to order online.

I completely forget that inkjets exist except when I hear people complain about them. Why do people keep buying them?

Cheaper up front cost

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
What's the deal with EcoTank printers? They seem like the way to go for color since you can refill it with ink bottles from third parties.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This problem is confounded by companies and governments refusing to print things and mail them to you

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

GIFs that aren't actually GIFs but video files. gently caress those.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

This problem is confounded by companies and governments refusing to print things and mail them to you

I refuse all electronic billing options and make them mail me a bill.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Memes have been pretty poo poo lately, it's like they've all been used up

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah hobbyists would have fixed printers by now if hobbyists ever wanted to actually print anything. anyone with the required knowledge doesn't want anything to do with the cursed devices.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

yeah hobbyists would have fixed printers by now if hobbyists ever wanted to actually print anything. anyone with the required knowledge doesn't want anything to do with the cursed devices.

WAR!!!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Professor Shark posted:

Aren’t those pour my beer systems the ones bartenders said were really gross because of uncleaned lines or something? I think they used to push them on Bar Rescue

Dirty lines can be a thing at all sorts of shady bars. The pour-your-own has the same germ fest as salad bars and buffets - people putting the nozzle into the foam in a glass they’ve been drinking from because most people don’t know how to pour a beer from a tap (not their fault, not everyone has worked in a good bar with good practices).
Plus any overcarbed or otherwise hard-to-pour foamy beer is just putting your money down the drain. All beer taps have some wastage, this way the bar gets to charge the customer for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Sour candies are weak as heck these days. I have a bald spot on my tongue from when I ate three Warheads on a dare in the early 2000s, they were that potent.

Over the years these candies have gotten milder and milder. I bet they toned the intensity down to save costs, maybe also because morons kept burning their tongues by going overboard.