Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

so armed revolution and violence against the ruling classes is fundamentally immoral, as opposed to systematic oppression and violence against the lower classes which is fine?

that's not a very gay ideology, pal

it is also immoral to be a rich and/or powerful person op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
well good thing that christianity has had like 2000 years to convince the rich and powerful to stop loving everybody else over, im sure it must have taken by now

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
at this point i think it's self-evident to say that if ure religion is not gay and communist then your doing something wrong

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

at this point i think it's self-evident to say that if ure religion is not gay and communist then your doing something wrong

:hmmyes:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
im still not sure how a position on the morality of violence has anything to do with loving cock/tits could you elaborate

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Cerebral Bore posted:

its that simple. OA btfo

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Ohtori Akio posted:

im still not sure how a position on the morality of violence has anything to do with loving cock/tits could you elaborate

Do straight people not love cocks and tits? Are the straights ok :ohdear:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
trad straight lady whos just really into tits for some reason

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
it's ok they're allowed

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats true.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Cerebral Bore posted:

well good thing that christianity has had like 2000 years to convince the rich and powerful to stop loving everybody else over, im sure it must have taken by now

It works great, the oppressed are liberated spiritually through their suffering.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ohtori Akio posted:

nonviolence only delivers when the very real alternative is violence, op. it doesn’t work if the powerful can just ignore you entirely

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

fart simpson posted:

nonviolence only delivers when the very real alternative is violence, op. it doesn’t work if the powerful can just ignore you entirely

that's a common criticism of the nonviolent position. nevertheless i believe violence against people is inherently immoral and shan't be pursuing it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ohtori Akio posted:

that's a common criticism of the nonviolent position. nevertheless i believe violence against people is inherently immoral and shan't be pursuing it

ok, so your asking other people to do the violence for you

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

fart simpson posted:

ok, so your asking other people to do the violence for you

i think they should also refrain. but im not putting a gun to their head

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ohtori Akio posted:

i think they should also refrain. but im not putting a gun to their head

so what do you think about people like john brown, or the soviet soliders who liberated the death camps in ww2

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as we all know inaction in the face of injustice gives you the moral high ground

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
never do a violence, or you'll be just as bad as this guy:

John 2:13-16 posted:

The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple he found people selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and the money-changers seated at their tables. Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle. He also poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. He told those who were selling the doves, ‘Take these things out of here! Stop making my Father’s house a market-place!’

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

fart simpson posted:

so what do you think about people like john brown, or the soviet soliders who liberated the death camps in ww2

john browns actions have a lot of merit in that they were clearly self-sacrificing and in pursuit of a "major league" moral imperative. thats a pretty classic example of the kinds of guy peace church types have to sit and think about. i dont think id make the choices john brown did but i think if someone sits here and says they definitely would theyre just talking poo poo. the peace church type might identify their hero of the time in the slave who broke tools knowing theyd face suffering for it or the free black americans who ran the underground railroad at significant personal risk

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

never do a violence, or you'll be just as bad as this guy:

i dont think a public spanking/tongue lashing is really in the realm of shooting someone op

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
every single time there's been a revolution it's the ruling classes who started the shooting, so maybe you should go talk to them about this whole peace and brotherhood of man thing, you know maybe take some noble personal risk and poo poo?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
im already talking to the landlords. im posting in cspam

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ohtori Akio posted:

john browns actions have a lot of merit in that they were clearly self-sacrificing and in pursuit of a "major league" moral imperative. thats a pretty classic example of the kinds of guy peace church types have to sit and think about. i dont think id make the choices john brown did but i think if someone sits here and says they definitely would theyre just talking poo poo. the peace church type might identify their hero of the time in the slave who broke tools knowing theyd face suffering for it or the free black americans who ran the underground railroad at significant personal risk

ok what about the ww2 thing

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
personally i will remain safely ensconced in the gay embrace of whichever god approves of kicking the poo poo out of the oppressors

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think the reason your saying thats a "common criticism" is because the idea that all violence is always bad is obvious nonsense and everyone can figure that out with about 2 seconds of thinking about it. hth.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

fart simpson posted:

ok what about the ww2 thing

tolstoy wrote a ton about the experience of the russian soldier (of his time, many decades prior to ww2) actually. by the time someones in a mobilized army they dont have a ton of choice in what theyre doing other than to refrain from war crimes. liberating a death camp certainly a good thing to do and a lot of those rank and file soldiers died to make it happen, though i think they were typically dying "for" their country or due to orders, which i dont think is a good thing to tell someone to die for. on the other hand i think resisting any draft also a worthy thing. in a literal ww2 situation the peace churches typically name their heroes as people who were able to find a conscientious objector status, or who did humanitarian work of some kind. "what do you do when your neighbor begins to murder" another complicated and detail specific scenario for the pacifist. the classic answer is "put yourself between your neighbor and the victim" but clearly theres situations where its not that pat

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i feel like this thread has also been useful in showing that liberalism fucks up all that it touches, including religion and gayness

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

fart simpson posted:

i think the reason your saying thats a "common criticism" is because the idea that all violence is always bad is obvious nonsense and everyone can figure that out with about 2 seconds of thinking about it. hth.

thanks for the chat fart simpson

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ohtori Akio posted:

tolstoy wrote a ton about the experience of the russian soldier (of his time, many decades prior to ww2) actually. by the time someones in a mobilized army they dont have a ton of choice in what theyre doing other than to refrain from war crimes. liberating a death camp certainly a good thing to do and a lot of those rank and file soldiers died to make it happen, though i think they were typically dying "for" their country or due to orders, which i dont think is a good thing to tell someone to die for. on the other hand i think resisting any draft also a worthy thing. in a literal ww2 situation the peace churches typically name their heroes as people who were able to find a conscientious objector status, or who did humanitarian work of some kind. "what do you do when your neighbor begins to murder" another complicated and detail specific scenario for the pacifist. the classic answer is "put yourself between your neighbor and the victim" but clearly theres situations where its not that pat

problem: a neighboring country has invaded your country and is fighting a literal way of extermination

solution: resist the draft and commit suicide by standing in between an invading soldier and your neighbor

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats right theres situations where its not that pat

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Sikhism is pretty cool because of the free food but also no potatoes so there's that

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you get a sick (get it) knife too for the violence fandom

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Indira was asking for it by the way she was bombing religious sites

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats a pretty bad post

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

biceps crimes posted:

turning to God in my search for meaning

dumb bitch

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ohtori Akio posted:

thats right theres situations where its not that pat

well that’s what you get when you say “always” dumbass

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A religion can be adopted to anything. Christian teachings are far more incompatible with capitalism than communism and yet here we are with megachurches and their prosperity gospel or w/e it's called

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fart simpson posted:

well that’s what you get when you say “always” dumbass

lol yeah. pacifism is some weak poo poo, as a member of the underclass at the intersection of multiple stigmatized identities it seems particularly poo poo to promote non-violence when so much are hell bent on doing violence to you, but what do I know

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like Asian Christianity more than the regular degular white people Christianity. There's not too big of a difference, hasn't been a schism or anything major.

Basically I think Vash The Stampede is the best allegory for pacifism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's funny how clearly evil the Catholic Church are and if i were Christian i'd have to deal with them being obviously the antichrist