Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They hated him because he spoke the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ibntumart posted:

AITA for kicking out my BFs daughter after my son "kink shamed" her?

:glompoff:

Never ever ever apologize for kinkshaming someone who insists on dragging other people into their kink against their will and without consent.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

sullat posted:

Yeah this is what makes Crusader Kings so fun. 50,000 men had to die and half of Europe got set on fire but at least I got what's rightfully mine.

Till your vassals force Elective Gavelkind on your realm and you have to watch it all fall apart again.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Bramble posted:

My (49m) daughter (18f) is refusing to see me before she leaves for school this weekend

quote:

and there are many many sacrifices I made over the years to be sure I was able to spend every minute of my time with Shana.

I haven't missed a single birthday, Christmas, school event...nothing.
Hmm, OP reminds me of something from the 1990s...

Chris Rock posted:

[People] always want some credit for some poo poo they supposed to do. [Some People] will brag about some poo poo a normal man just does, say some poo poo like, "I take care of my kids." You're supposed to, you dumb motherfucker! What are you talking about?" What kind of ignorant poo poo is that? What do you want, a cookie?! You low-expectation-having motherfucker!
Ah, there we go.

e: Oof, that took a lot of editing to make it quotable (by a white dude) in the 2020s.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ibntumart posted:

They should let her stay, but immediately start doing the opposite whenever she tries to micromanage. "Put your fork in the sink" = yeet it straight into the trash. "Don't forget to shut the door" = grab a hammer and nail that poo poo open.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not " disclosing" to my daughter she wasn't breastfed?

quote:

Pretty much the title. I , 45f, and my pregnant daughter, 23f, were discussing the upcoming baby. She asked me how hard breastfeeding was and I told her I never did.... She asked why and I told her the only 2 people I knew who breastfed complained about it constantly and it didn't seem worth the hassle, especially since her dad left me and I had to go to back to work 7 weeks after she was born, and I only got and extra week because week 6 was Christmas week. She was upset and accused me of hiding this from her , I said it never came up? So she's all mad and has a call into to her doctor to see if she is at a disadvantage because of this, and I should have " disclosed the facts" before she got pregnant so she knew she was " malnourished". She was never malnourished! She hit all her landmarks in infancy, was very healthy. I think she is being ridiculous and she thinks I'm a total rear end in a top hat. AITA?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cowslips Warren posted:

congratulations on finding out your child is insane

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
My girlfriend broke up with me but I don’t understand why?

quote:

"For context, my partner (20) and I (22) have been in a relationship for the past two years, spending the lockdown together shortly after we first met. In the early stages, she was quite blunt and often complained while I supported us financially. As time passed, she secured a job and began contributing to our expenses. Over these two years, I've cultivated strong relationships with her, her friends, and especially her family.

However, recent times have brought about frequent arguments, and they are not trivial in nature. My partner has repeatedly expressed doubts about our future together, often mentioning the possibility of breaking up. Regrettably, she secretly filmed one of our arguments and shared it with her therapist. It appears that the therapist might have a negative impression of me, influenced by my partner's consistent focus on our disagreements, without acknowledging my efforts to fulfill her desires.

The most recent issue arose when we decided to move due to rising rent costs. I asked if I should cancel my lease and move in with her and her mother. Her response was that it wouldn't be fair to place that level of responsibility on her. She suggested breaking up sooner rather than later, sparking another argument.

We celebrated our two-year anniversary two weeks ago, and I showered her with gifts. However, the situation took a surprising turn. I canceled my lease to prepare for the move, and two days later, she arrived at my place with a friend, initially for a quick visit but then decided to collect all her belongings without prior notice. After persistent questioning, she revealed her intention to break up, leaving me stunned. I attempted to reason with her, but she provided various reasons, including a desire for independence, freedom, and even questioning her own sexual orientation.

During this tumultuous time, she vacillated between breaking up and wanting a break. Oddly, she continued to use affectionate terms and asked about selling a piece of furniture. My confusion grew as I helped her pack and load her things into her car. Since her departure, she has remained distant and unresponsive.

I find myself at a loss for what to do next. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated."

what a surprising turn

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

My girlfriend broke up with me but I don’t understand why?

what a surprising turn

Is this a chatgpt one? Either way, they sound like a robut :psylon:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cowslips Warren posted:

This lady must be in the same FB Mom groups as "if we have sex after you've had two beers you'll give the baby FAS" lady.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe I'm being too generous but I wonder if the daughter has been reading about the immunity benefits and antibody transfers via breastfeeding, which has been a big topic for a while now afaik, and the mother is just paraphrasing that as malnourished?

Seems like a silly thing to get upset about regardless, but I'm always on the lookout for unreliable narrators and "malnourished" struck me as curious

Although with the daughter being 23 and already pregnant anything is possible

E: just reread the final couple lines and she's saying the information could have impacted whether she decided to get pregnant herself. Lmao ok yeah sorry cancel all that

boofhead fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 2, 2023

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Elviscat posted:

This lady must be in the same FB Mom groups as "if we have sex after you've had two beers you'll give the baby FAS" lady.
I was thinking she was some kind of influencer using her cachet of "I was breastfed and I'm much healthier than those formula babies" and it'll all come crumbling down now

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Crocobile posted:

I’ve been thinking a lot about how awful people made my early 20s. Treating me like a silly pet, or a creepy boss who’s sexually attracted to wielding power over/controlling young women just starting their careers. It’s weird interacting with people now who treated me as disposable then who still have to deal with me now, 10 years older. Don’t worry, I still remember you’re an rear end in a top hat. ;)

I'm not in contact with most of the people who treated me like this but I do see one of socially on a regular basis. A few years ago I blew up at something lovely he did- a small thing, but I'd hit my limit- and didn't talk to him for several months. Recently he said that he didn't understand why I'd done it. I don't know if he's getting worse due to retirement isolation or if I've changed so much in the past several years. I'm really not sure hwo to handle it.

The Bramble posted:

My (49m) daughter (18f) is refusing to see me before she leaves for school this weekend

I won't have access to the person I treat like crap, oh no

Related (tw: pretty awful homophobia ):

Just saw a jawdropper of an estranged parent comment in which a woman blamed some unknown person for making her son gay and said that she considered his death from AIDS as suicide. It freaked me out enough that I don't want to quote it. NOBODY called her out on any of this. It was horrifying.

Here's something less awful, although not good:

quote:

My daughter decided to be estranged from us since September 2017. We had tried to reach out to her after that with cards/gifts – no response. Since she never sent anything back we thought there was some hope of discussion/conversation…why is she ignoring us…In April 2020 we received a Cease and Desist letter. We never phoned her nor showed up at her apartment…We don’t know what prompted such a drastic measure…So we have not tried to make any contact…Is there no path for reconciliation?

I already quoted this passage about infidelity from Captain Awkward but I like it so here it is again, edited for this specific situation:

quote:

You seem to be making the case that *nothing* counts as stalking unless you are skulking around her house in a trenchcoat going through her garbage. I tend to think of this as the N Minus 1 Gambit within the larger Stalker's Defense, where as long as there is one forbidden thing that you are not doing (yet), then nothing you are doing could possibly be sketchy, and actually your daughter is the one who is out of line for even suggesting it.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 2, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ibntumart posted:

Nice kink you got there. Be a shame if anything happened to it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

PancakeTransmission posted:

I was thinking she was some kind of influencer using her cachet of "I was breastfed and I'm much healthier than those formula babies" and it'll all come crumbling down now

Probably!

Anyways, if your 16 year old is vaccine-injured with autism, try to get pregenent again, and then try breastfeeding your 16yo, the antibodies will cancel out the autismotoxins from the MMR jab. Make sure to keep him on his rosemary essential oils though!!! Those are key!

E: I'm saying they're all the same people.
E2: and they're socially progressive but their husband votes for Trump because the Dems are buying child sex slaves from a pizza parlour.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 2, 2023

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

trickybiscuits posted:

I already quoted this passage about infidelity from Captain Awkward but I like it so here it is again, edited for this specific situation:
N Minus One is a good term. I see it a lot where someone defines real alcoholism/infidelity/harassment/etc. as always one step beyond wherever they happen to be. Very convenient!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

FMguru posted:

N Minus One is a good term. I see it a lot where someone defines real alcoholism/infidelity/harassment/etc. as always one step beyond wherever they happen to be. Very convenient!

Also the office ethnic food dude. He's not actually racist because he just tells his colleagues that "some people" might have issues with her incredibly ethnic stir fry.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not wanting to help my SO with our twins?

if only there was a male form of birth control...

quote:

she was on the pill and according to her, barely ever missed a day

Ahahahaha.

Yeah. Sure.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

Also the office ethnic food dude. He's not actually racist because he just tells his colleagues that "some people" might have issues with her incredibly ethnic stir fry.

This guy is just adorable. He tells her to never bring this food to the office because there MIGHT be racists who will be upset :allears:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boofhead posted:

Maybe I'm being too generous but I wonder if the daughter has been reading about the immunity benefits and antibody transfers via breastfeeding, which has been a big topic for a while now afaik, and the mother is just paraphrasing that as malnourished?

Seems like a silly thing to get upset about regardless, but I'm always on the lookout for unreliable narrators and "malnourished" struck me as curious

Although with the daughter being 23 and already pregnant anything is possible

E: just reread the final couple lines and she's saying the information could have impacted whether she decided to get pregnant herself. Lmao ok yeah sorry cancel all that

People being loving WEIRD about breastfeeding is unfortunately a thing. There are people who dump out formula because breastfeeding is better. We've had that in this very thread even.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
My ex-girlfriend's dumbass half brother and his partner was so into this woo-woo breast is best bullshit that their kid weighed less at 2 months than her birth weight, and it took the kid being taken forcibly out of their care for them to consider using formula because she wasn't producing enough milk.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Midnight Voyager posted:

People being loving WEIRD about breastfeeding is unfortunately a thing. There are people who dump out formula because breastfeeding is better. We've had that in this very thread even.

yeah my first read was very bleary eyed and 3/4 asleep, and there were so few details in the post (also some i missed first go) that my "too much missing info, no attempt to sufficiently present the other person's perspective => unreliable narrator / dissembling" radar got triggered.

but on a re-read and with a bunch of wake up drugs under my belt, i agree with the other posters here, and im tending more towards the daughter sounding like a holier-than-thou momfluencer tyrant and the op/mother has just been browbeaten for so long that "she started yelling at me about something vague and i didnt think that was fair" is probably the most critical analysis she can muster up because she's spent so long backing off just to keep the peace. probably an over-read in this case but i see that mechanism a lot with people who need to find a way to deal long term with toxic/abusive/aggressive people so it comes to mind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like kids who were vaccinated growing up to become anti-vaxx nutcases whose kids start dropping dead from preventable diseases, hard-won victories that were taken for granted end up completely forgotten and dismantled by idiots actively working to destroy civilization. The daughter probably was yelling a bunch of woo conspiracy nonsense.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cloacamazing! posted:

Is there a name for this sort of bullshit? We had a middle-aged guy get fired at my job a few years ago because he went up to a nineteen year old intern and told her that she should dress a little more modestly because other guys might get the wrong idea. But not him of course.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there a name for this sort of bullshit? We had a middle-aged guy get fired at my job a few years ago because he went up to a nineteen year old intern and told her that she should dress a little more modestly because other guys might get the wrong idea. But not him of course.

Does it depend on whether they’re actually well-meaning but clumsy or alternatively they’re truly doing the “oh, other people might think this but not me…”?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The latter, the guy called her honey.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The latter, the guy called her honey.

Ohhhh okay very different if so

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

concern troll

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

"Plausible deniability"?

"You know, you really should dress more modestly, otherwise some middle-aged guy (not me) might get the idea that you're trying to seduce them. Not me, of course. (Unless you're trying to seduce me?)"

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Is that “concern trolling?”

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Posting this mostly for the first sentence.

Should I let my girlfriend look at my sperm under the microscope?

quote:

She does a lot sperm stuff (not fertility related) and has always wanted to look at mine. She's coming to the end of her PhD now and wants to see it before she loses her opportunity.

I know I technically should say no but I also know it'll probably be fine. My only concern is that, if my sperm look weird (low count, immotile etc), my gf is in no way a fertility scientist and can't tell me any more than "they look weird and I don't know if something's wrong or not." Then I'm stuck worried about being infertile for years with no way to resolve that anxiety without having to arrange a fertility test, which in the UK isn't really a 'no questions asked' procedure as far as I'm aware

On the other hand it will probably be fine and I don't wanna seem like a real stick in the mud. She's being saying she wants to do this for years and while I've also said I was a bit iffy on it she'll still be let down.

I don't even know what I'm asking tbh, just wanted to hear some perspectives from other scientists, maybe ones who've had a cheeky look at their own blood/urine/sperm etc?

EDIT: This got a lot more attention than I was prepared for. Most people seem to think I'm overthinking this and I do tend to do that so I've decided to go ahead and let her do it.

We're both in the lab this weekend so we'll do it then. To those who think this is a joke, I will upload proof lol.

For some reason uploading a pic of my sperm only feels a few steps away from an unsolicited dick pic but we're all scientists here I guess.

Update: I let my girlfriend look at my sperm under the microscope

quote:

You guys convinced me, here is the proof.

For those who wanted to know the collection method, the sperm was extracted using previously described methods and collected in a 50 mL Falcon tube. This was then transported to the lab in my gf's jeans. I'd say it was about 2 hours from penis to slide which I think is okay, probably not breaking any records but they're not the kind of records I want to break.

All in all pretty interesting experience. There really was a lot of variety and I definitely worked myself up too much. I had a hard time relating to the little guys as my own, hopefully I won't feel the same way about any future children. The lab wasn't totally empty too so it did feel a little bizarre leaving a tube of my spunk on the bench behind a co-worker. Most jobs that would be a bit of a faux pas.

Girlfriend loved the experience, she feels satisfied and happy with my sperm. For what it's worth I think I have some pretty slick swimmers too. May be playing with fire here but feel free to send me any pics of your sperms too, we could race them lol.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
she does a lot of sperm stuff

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I hope that’s how he responds when people ask what his girlfriend does for a living.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

I hope that’s how he responds when people ask what his girlfriend does for a living.

He just means she is real good at swimming.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

wheatpuppy posted:

He just means she is real good at swimming.

And she loooooves eggs.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

My ex-girlfriend's dumbass half brother and his partner was so into this woo-woo breast is best bullshit that their kid weighed less at 2 months than her birth weight, and it took the kid being taken forcibly out of their care for them to consider using formula because she wasn't producing enough milk.

Serious "we taught a lion to eat tofu" energy, here.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just got back from getting a library card. Small town, 7000 people. I asked the librarian what their rules on donations for the library sale were. "No computer books, no reference books." There were a couple of others I forget, but they were short.

The librarian was really adorable. She clapped for me after I got my library card, and again after I signed up for Friends of the Library.

I'm also getting mine today! We have our monthly DSA meeting at the library so I've been putting it off for like years by saying 'eh I'll just do it later." but today is the day!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ah yes, so many malnourished 23 year olds walking around, yet to recover from the impacts of their malnourished upbringing. A real tragedy.

I assume the doctor will laugh in her face

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Sekenr posted:

This guy is just adorable. He tells her to never bring this food to the office because there MIGHT be racists who will be upset :allears:

A manager at my last job barged into a conversation to tell me I needed to never talk about my being transgender with coworkers when they asked me about it because there might be customers or coworkers offended by the "political discussion", but definitely not him!

When I told him that wouldn't be happening he started yelling at me that people, but definitely not him, were offended and disgusted by my open degeneracy and he was telling me, the ungrateful tranny pervert, this for my safety.

Literally everyone else there was respectful to me about my identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
AITA for telling my family if they really want an honor they should do something life saving for my my wife, kids and I?

quote:

My wife Mia and I have three children and we're expecting our fourth. Two of our three kids are not named after others, we just really loved their names. Our oldest, however, she's named Taylor, after the nurse who delivered her and saved her and my wife's lives. Nurse Taylor did something I can never repay him for and without him they wouldn't be here today. It seemed fitting to honor him.

My family assumed that naming Taylor after someone would mean we would do the same with our other kids. But we had never planned on using honor names. Special circumstances and a very special man are why we did with our oldest.

My parents and siblings, since learning of this pregnancy, and knowing it's our last, have dropped comments about honor names and how special and beautiful it would be for the youngest to hold a name that honors someone in their family. I/we always told them we would not be giving our youngest an honor name and I told them to let the topic go. Mia got a lot of comments behind my back because they were willing to press harder on her than me. They used a few guilt cards which I do not appreciate.

After my wife was left a lengthy voicemail about the importance of honoring those closest to us and making Taylor feel less alone in being the only one named after someone, I had grown sick and tired of my family.

So I stopped by my parents house and asked my siblings to come and told them they want the youngest to be given an honor name? Fine. Then they better get ready to go above and beyond and save one of our lives because that is the level they need to meet. I said if they did not, or could not do that, to shut up about it and accept the fact our child will get a name we love.

My family called me a rude rear end and said I was behaving like a petty child throwing that in their faces. AITA?

Explicitly asking your extended family to engineer a life-threatening situation for your loved ones. This could result in an amazing Coen brothers farce or a horrific news article.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 2, 2023