Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Has anyone else checked out A Vicious Circle from Boom? It's a time travel story where the main characters are trying to avert and cause the apocalypse respectively and the art is pretty striking. It starts out in realistic black and white but with each shift in time the style changes completely. On my initial read I was sure there were multiple artists but I guess Lee Bermejo is just really good at a lot of things.

Here are some samples:

The one below is a good example of how things shift.

Ah yes, the classic time travel scenario.

I don't love the lettering but that's a minor issue in the scheme of things and I'd recommend this book pretty strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Has anyone else checked out A Vicious Circle from Boom? It's a time travel story where the main characters are trying to avert and cause the apocalypse respectively and the art is pretty striking. It starts out in realistic black and white but with each shift in time the style changes completely. On my initial read I was sure there were multiple artists but I guess Lee Bermejo is just really good at a lot of things.

Here are some samples:

The one below is a good example of how things shift.

Ah yes, the classic time travel scenario.

I don't love the lettering but that's a minor issue in the scheme of things and I'd recommend this book pretty strongly.

It’s a gorgeous book and the shifting art style is such a big flex from Bermejo. I don’t know that the story is worth it on its own but I’d buy it just to flip through and stare.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That looks sick. I might have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Wanderer posted:

The backup story in the new issue of Newburn from Image is by ex-goon David "hermanos" Brothers with Nick Dragotta on art.

Is this a first issue in a while? I'm subbed at my LCS but not had an issue in months.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

frameset posted:

Is this a first issue in a while? I'm subbed at my LCS but not had an issue in months.

Yeah there was a break between arcs.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Rick Remender's The Sacrificers is off to a good start. Interesting ideas and world building, no edgelord poo poo, and great art by Max Fiumara.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Has anyone else checked out A Vicious Circle from Boom? ...

The art looks stunning, I've always loved Lee Bermejo's art from what I've read of stuff like Lex Luthor Man of Steel. I'll be sure to give it a read.

What was wrong with the lettering? As someone writing a comic themself of which I'm doing the lettering as well I'm curious to see what criticisms one would have for lettering so I can myself get better at it and improve my skills.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Anyone itt know where I might acquire a copy of Corto Maltese: The Secret Rose? It’s my white whale and I’m just kind of contemplating potential avenues for finding a copy and coming up empty handed every time

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I have Corto Maltese in Siberia on my shelf, will read it one day. I've watched the first animated special and intend to watch a couple more, those seem kind of ok.

On indie comics, anybody read Void Rivals, any good? Haven't heard takes on it other than the Transformers connection, which I assume is incidental to the main story.

Arcade Kings also looks cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

On indie comics, anybody read Void Rivals, any good? Haven't heard takes on it other than the Transformers connection, which I assume is incidental to the main story.

While not trying to be too flip, it's kind of just The Last Starfighter. Not great, but not bad, just kinda inoffensive.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Dawgstar posted:

While not trying to be too flip, it's kind of just The Last Starfighter. Not great, but not bad, just kinda inoffensive.

I got more of an Enemy Mine vibe, which is a different 80s sci Fi vibe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

I got more of an Enemy Mine vibe, which is a different 80s sci Fi vibe.

Yeah, honestly that's probably the movie I was thinking of.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, honestly that's probably the movie I was thinking of.

There's still the potential for a Death Blossom, though!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Cull started off weak, but Worldtree is finally bringing it a little bit

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Double post!! Some recent horror/horror adjacent ones that aren't big 2:

Kill Your Darlings 1 (Image) -- a little girl who plays in a made-up world has things start to happen IRL. Unclear if this is going in a mental health or supernatural direction. If supernatural, interesting. If mental health, tiresome. The first issue had some charming writing, but pacing wise it didn't sink the hook. Much less infuriatingly dull than the Cull, however. I might give it one more issue to see if it wants to signal which way it's going.

Tear Us Apart 1 (Dark Horse) -- a boy and a girl in a weird cult make a run for it. This one grabbed me, oddly enough. I don't like the art and the concept isn't exactly groundbreaking, but in terms of pacing and storytelling it stood out as being punchy and not sucking. Big anime/manga vibes in the fight scenes (people have powers).

Hunt for the Skinwalker 1 (Boom) -- a comic adaptation of some scammy documentary/book stuff about Skinwalker Ranch. The contents of the comic is satisfactorily weird and interesting in a tongue in cheek way, but it's not clear if they're trying to play it straight? And I object to the premise of scammy cryptid documentary stuff. As a comic it's fine, but now the association with the IP makes me want to walk.

tldr, I don't ardently recommend any of these. If I had to pick one it would be Tear us Apart. All Eight Eyes is still reigning champ for recent horror indies for me personally.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 16, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I have to pop in and brag about my friend and her bf winning 3rd in the Saga costume contest this month :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 21, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I just read Ram V's new one Rare Flavours and I'd definitely recommend. The premise seems to be that an old Indian deity is trying to make an Anthony Bourdain-like food documentary while being chased down by as yet unidentified pursuers. Also he's probably killing a lot of people. The art is good, I like the writing, and it includes a recipe for authentic masala chai that I might give a try.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
^^^ on my to read list cause I loved Laila Starr, glad you recommend!

Happy Landfill posted:

I have to pop in and brag about my friend and her bf winning 3rd in the Saga costume contest this month :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Lying

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just read Ram V's new one Rare Flavours and I'd definitely recommend. The premise seems to be that an old Indian deity is trying to make an Anthony Bourdain-like food documentary while being chased down by as yet unidentified pursuers. Also he's probably killing a lot of people. The art is good, I like the writing, and it includes a recipe for authentic masala chai that I might give a try.

Glad to hear. I haven't gotten to it yet (barely had time to read anything yesterday), but it's on my iPad. Looking forward to it!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

For any fans of older horror comics, the British classic girls fright comic “Misty” is getting a nice big hardback release from Rebellion and Amazon is sending it out tomorrow with the new Robo-Hunter book even though it isn’t technically out until Wednesday. 2000 AD has really been knocking it out of the park with their historical collections and reprints

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frog Act posted:

For any fans of older horror comics, the British classic girls fright comic “Misty” is getting a nice big hardback release from Rebellion and Amazon is sending it out tomorrow with the new Robo-Hunter book even though it isn’t technically out until Wednesday. 2000 AD has really been knocking it out of the park with their historical collections and reprints

In a similar vein, the current issues of 2000AD and the Megazine are a "what if?" crossover that speculates what would have happened if Battle Action had merged with 2000AD in 1983 instead of becoming the licensed GI Joe comic. I highly recommend - Prog 2350 is an onboarding issue anyway, and Megazine 460 is double sized so you still get VFM even though it's full of Part 5s.

E: also don't make the error of thinking that Misty is a girly romance horror comic. It was marketed at girls, but it was created and mostly written by Pat Mills. In many ways it's actually better horror than Scream was - that one's getting a full collected edition early next year, by the way.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 26, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
God I loved Scream!. Dracula as a 'defector' legging it over an Iron Curtain checkpoint, the insane story about cats gone mad attacking everyone, and of course the greatest caretaker/building manager ever with Max in The Thirteenth Floor.

I remember years later seeing a film in the video store called The 13th Floor and was so disappointed when it turned out to be some Aussie bollocks about ghosts instead of my boy siccing murder holograms on debt collectors, abusive exes, and bullies.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

In a similar vein, the current issues of 2000AD and the Megazine are a "what if?" crossover that speculates what would have happened if Battle Action had merged with 2000AD in 1983 instead of becoming the licensed GI Joe comic. I highly recommend - Prog 2350 is an onboarding issue anyway, and Megazine 460 is double sized so you still get VFM even though it's full of Part 5s.

E: also don't make the error of thinking that Misty is a girly romance horror comic. It was marketed at girls, but it was created and mostly written by Pat Mills. In many ways it's actually better horror than Scream was - that one's getting a full collected edition early next year, by the way.

Yeah I’m currently in the process of buying and reading through everything from before/adjacent 2000 AD in the 70s and 80s and it has been so much fun reading through Battle. I was super surprised to see The Sarge and Major Eazy on the cover, having just read those + Fighting Mann and with two more Hebden books coming (Death Squad and Clash of the Guards) it was the first time I’ve been tempted to subscribe to the actual 2000 AD progs. It’s unfortunate how expensive it is and since I’ve had major issues with almost every order I’ve placed directly with them I’m super leery about it though - they once told me they had shipped a Sláine book then the next day told me it was never even in the warehouse, and when I bought the signed Charley’s War bookplate editions a couple months ago they only sent the signed plates and not the books. It’s always something on top of the outrageous $50 shipping, which feels extra bad considering Blackwell’s sells the same books from the same area with free shipping. I might try to subscribe and see what happens anyway, old Battle, Action, Lion, Eagle, Wildcat, Jinty, etc stories has become my main hobby so it’d be edifying to have those around

The girl comics in particular seem really interesting. I’ve also got the Complete Sugar Jones, Fran From the Floods, and Jinty: The Land of No Tears en route. Being an American older millennial this stuff is all new to me and local comic shops have no idea what I’m talking about when I bring these up, so I’m stoked there are some goons ITT who like this stuff too.

Actually maybe I’ll make a 2000 AD/Rebellion/Midcentury British comics thread it seems like there’s enough content and interest to sustain one with all the new releases 2000 AD has been churning out lately. My copies of Robo Hunter and Misty just arrived and I’m stoked to read them, though RH really illustrates how they’ve pared down their printings - the Droid Files collections have like four additional arcs on top of the one included in this, but it is in full color, at least

Sentinel Red posted:

God I loved Scream!. Dracula as a 'defector' legging it over an Iron Curtain checkpoint, the insane story about cats gone mad attacking everyone, and of course the greatest caretaker/building manager ever with Max in The Thirteenth Floor.

I remember years later seeing a film in the video store called The 13th Floor and was so disappointed when it turned out to be some Aussie bollocks about ghosts instead of my boy siccing murder holograms on debt collectors, abusive exes, and bullies.

Scream! looks like a ton of fun. I was all set to buy the 13th floor softbacks that Blackwell's has for sale but then I saw there's a gigantic hardback getting released next year so I held off. I guess all these reprints have been successful because a lot of them seem to sell out and Rebellion is pushing ahead with them. I hope it means they reprint some of the old stuff that's so hard to find like Rogue Trooper Volume 3, El Mestizo, Ace Trucking Company, Flesh, and so many others

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 26, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Scream! looks like a ton of fun. I was all set to buy the 13th floor softbacks that Blackwell's has for sale but then I saw there's a gigantic hardback getting released next year so I held off. I guess all these reprints have been successful because a lot of them seem to sell out and Rebellion is pushing ahead with them. I hope it means they reprint some of the old stuff that's so hard to find like Rogue Trooper Volume 3, El Mestizo, Ace Trucking Company, Flesh, and so many others

The Thirteenth Floor books actually contain a lot more stuff than was in Scream!, as it was cancelled after just 15 issues and folded into Eagle where the story ran for another three years. If you buy the Scream! compendium then you'll not even get half the stories in Thirteenth Floor volume 1.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

The Thirteenth Floor books actually contain a lot more stuff than was in Scream!, as it was cancelled after just 15 issues and folded into Eagle where the story ran for another three years. If you buy the Scream! compendium then you'll not even get half the stories in Thirteenth Floor volume 1.

Oh poo poo, well, then I'll definitely be adding those to my next order, thanks friend. Anything else adjacent to Scream!/Misty you'd recommend? Black Max is on my list and I keep an eye on the Treasury of British Comics but I'm totally ignorant about this stuff

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

My local shop gets me 2000ad which comes in bags that include all the progs from a given month and Megazine with no apparent extra cost for shipping but the downside is that the delivery schedule is weird and I’m several months behind at any given moment because they just never know when the stuff is coming in.

It’s still fairly expensive though.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Danknificent posted:

My local shop gets me 2000ad which comes in bags that include all the progs from a given month and Megazine with no apparent extra cost for shipping but the downside is that the delivery schedule is weird and I’m several months behind at any given moment because they just never know when the stuff is coming in.

It’s still fairly expensive though.

Interesting. There are like five comic shops in town and four of them had never heard of 2000 AD, including one who had never heard of Judge Dredd. But there is one where the owner is at least passingly familiar, he sold me the 80s printing of the Complete Halo Jones for $10 and once gave me $20 off the Jodorowsky library box set because he was just happy to see someone give a poo poo about Euro comics, maybe I can come to a similar arrangement with him. It’s like $30 a month for just the physical 2000 AD non-megazine prog and I just can’t stomach paying that much for a thin paperback that will invariably be lost/late

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Oh poo poo, well, then I'll definitely be adding those to my next order, thanks friend. Anything else adjacent to Scream!/Misty you'd recommend? Black Max is on my list and I keep an eye on the Treasury of British Comics but I'm totally ignorant about this stuff

Assuming you want me to exclude anything from 2000AD/Starlord: The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire is a must read. The basic premise is a spaceship crashes on Earth, the crew - who look human but are 12 feet tall - are all dead, and it turns out that they came from a faux-Roman Empire in space. It's great pulp action adventure in the Rice Burroughs mould (down to the slight racism, unfortunately) and painted by the legendary Don Lawrence. It inspired a lot of British artists including Brian Bolland and Chris Weston, who was Lawrence's pupil.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Assuming you want me to exclude anything from 2000AD/Starlord: The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire is a must read. The basic premise is a spaceship crashes on Earth, the crew - who look human but are 12 feet tall - are all dead, and it turns out that they came from a faux-Roman Empire in space. It's great pulp action adventure in the Rice Burroughs mould (down to the slight racism, unfortunately) and painted by the legendary Don Lawrence. It inspired a lot of British artists including Brian Bolland and Chris Weston, who was Lawrence's pupil.

Starlord or lesser 2000 AD stuff would be cool too! Thanks!

The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire is actually one of the things I'm reading right now, I picked up the first three books last month. It's unfortunate that there are so many caricatures in the vein you mentioned, though I think they start trying to consciously improve that a little bit around the middle of the second book (Look and Learn issues 4-500ish), where the Lokans have finally gone from "literally yellow with fu manchus and poo poo" to "green and usually not super racist, except every once in awhile when they're rendered with outrageously exaggerated racial features". That stuff aside the complete incoherence is probably what makes it so much fun. The world makes no sense but it doesn't really have to since they weren't following in the footsteps of Gibbons and attempting to write a "real" history of the fictional empire, but are instead mashing together every major western oral tradition to create something that feels mythopoeic, and in that regard they totally succeeded. I wasn't sure if it'd be good enough to merit going all the way through but I'm definitely going to get the fourth book soon and the fifth when it comes out.

I also picked up Dan Dare: The 2000 AD Years and have been having a lot of fun with that. It's astonishing how much better it is than something like Turbo Jones or Loner, which were somehow contemporary to 2000 AD but come off as hopelessly anachronistic.

I've been hearing a lot about Zenith and I'm kind of interested in the Leopard of Lime Street and the Spider Syndicate books, as well as Adam Eterno. There's just so much!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Honestly, a digital subscription might be the way to go. Looks like it costs about 10 bucks a month for AD and Meg and it says 'free back issues' -- I don't know how extensive that library is, but it's way more affordable than the paper stuff. I want to say I'm paying like 14 bucks per Megazine and probably 20 for a bundle of ADs, so 34 a month ish.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lmao the Leopard of Lime Street was one of the most ridiculous of concepts: a Scouse superhero, basically Spider-Man but with a radioactive leopard in Liverpool.

I remember a later Dan Dare story where they were building an undersea tunnel ala the Chunnel and broke open a hollow that unleashed some kind of red jelly lifeforms that instantly devoured anything they touched, leaving only skeletons in seconds. No idea how it ended but it was kinda nightmare fuel when you were just a wee kid going through your (mostly funny) comic pile and coming across something like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I've been hearing a lot about Zenith and I'm kind of interested in the Leopard of Lime Street and the Spider Syndicate books, as well as Adam Eterno. There's just so much!

Yeah, British boys action comics are a seam that goes back to the 1950s when the likes of the Beano, Dandy and Whizzer began losing ground to the new gritty "comics" like Eagle, Lion, and Warrior - that last being where V For Vendetta was first published. Tiger also got great numbers, although its focus was sport over war. It's that generation of comic which Grant Morrison would draw on heavily for Zenith Phase III, which is about twenty times more readable if you can spot all the references. Moving on into the 60s and 70s you had Valiant, Warlord, Battle and Action - the latter two would merge into Battle Action.

The key stories that I know have had some collections are Major Eazy (later reworked into Kursed Earth Koburn for the Megazine - seriously, Koburn is the same character except a former Judge), One-Eyed Jack (Dirty Harry the comic), and Johnny Red, about a British pilot who found himself fighting with a Russian squadron on the Eastern Front. Darkie's Mob was a very solid dark take on the Burmese war, although it was fairly racist and I'd rather point you at Bad Company, which is the same story in space. And of course there's the utterly essential Charley's War by Pat Mills and Joe Colquhoun, a rare story about the First World War that is the definitive war comic which everyone should read. I still have my copy of Charley's War Book One that I won for having a letter published in Battle - it's a prized possession.

Other stories that are worth finding if you can trawl through web archives include The House of Dolmann (think the Puppet Master movies, but less gory) and Kelly's Eye (revived briefly and weakly in 2000AD in the 90s).

If you want recommendations that include the Galaxy's Greatest Comic then there's the three carry-overs from Starlord: Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters (which evolved into the ABC Warriors and crossed over heavily with Nemesis the Warlock), and the lesser known Black Hawk, about an African gladiator who becomes a Roman centurion. Meltdown Man is also worth a look, mostly for Massimo Belardinelli's art, along with Alan Moore's "What if ET but in Birmingham?" story Skizz illustrated by Jim Baikie. Belardinelli's finest hour came on Ace Trucking Company, though. Belardinelli could draw normal people, and did so well when required, but his great love was drawing weird and wonderful aliens and Ace Trucking with its alien space freighter captains gave him his head on that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Frog Act posted:

Zenith is pretty great (I've got the hardcovers), and it's pretty much an outline for all of Morrison's work that comes after it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Danknificent posted:

Honestly, a digital subscription might be the way to go. Looks like it costs about 10 bucks a month for AD and Meg and it says 'free back issues' -- I don't know how extensive that library is, but it's way more affordable than the paper stuff. I want to say I'm paying like 14 bucks per Megazine and probably 20 for a bundle of ADs, so 34 a month ish.

I feel slightly guilty about it, but I hate paying for digital comics and mostly refuse to do so. I'll just read 'em on readcomiconline until such a time as they're affordable, and the guilt is only slight given how many times Rebellion has gouged me

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Zenith is pretty great (I've got the hardcovers), and it's pretty much an outline for all of Morrison's work that comes after it.

Dope! I'm not super familiar with him, and indeed I only started reading comics like a year and a half ago, so these kinds of foundational works feel like a good thing to experience early.

Jedit posted:

Yeah, British boys action comics are a seam that goes back to the 1950s when the likes of the Beano, Dandy and Whizzer began losing ground to the new gritty "comics" like Eagle, Lion, and Warrior - that last being where V For Vendetta was first published. Tiger also got great numbers, although its focus was sport over war. It's that generation of comic which Grant Morrison would draw on heavily for Zenith Phase III, which is about twenty times more readable if you can spot all the references. Moving on into the 60s and 70s you had Valiant, Warlord, Battle and Action - the latter two would merge into Battle Action.

The key stories that I know have had some collections are Major Eazy (later reworked into Kursed Earth Koburn for the Megazine - seriously, Koburn is the same character except a former Judge), One-Eyed Jack (Dirty Harry the comic), and Johnny Red, about a British pilot who found himself fighting with a Russian squadron on the Eastern Front. Darkie's Mob was a very solid dark take on the Burmese war, although it was fairly racist and I'd rather point you at Bad Company, which is the same story in space. And of course there's the utterly essential Charley's War by Pat Mills and Joe Colquhoun, a rare story about the First World War that is the definitive war comic which everyone should read. I still have my copy of Charley's War Book One that I won for having a letter published in Battle - it's a prized possession.

Other stories that are worth finding if you can trawl through web archives include The House of Dolmann (think the Puppet Master movies, but less gory) and Kelly's Eye (revived briefly and weakly in 2000AD in the 90s).

If you want recommendations that include the Galaxy's Greatest Comic then there's the three carry-overs from Starlord: Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters (which evolved into the ABC Warriors and crossed over heavily with Nemesis the Warlock), and the lesser known Black Hawk, about an African gladiator who becomes a Roman centurion. Meltdown Man is also worth a look, mostly for Massimo Belardinelli's art, along with Alan Moore's "What if ET but in Birmingham?" story Skizz illustrated by Jim Baikie. Belardinelli's finest hour came on Ace Trucking Company, though. Belardinelli could draw normal people, and did so well when required, but his great love was drawing weird and wonderful aliens and Ace Trucking with its alien space freighter captains gave him his head on that.

Thanks buddy! I really appreciate these recommendations. There are a lot of familiar names in your post that I've seen floating around this region of comics, and I'm adding them to my list to keep an eye out for! I feel confident they're all going to be good ones since you've listed a few i really enjoyed - I've got the Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters, and ABC Warriors (except Mek-Files 1! :argh:) hardbacks which I picked up after spending like a year acquiring all of Nemesis, which got me into the medium in the first place. I ordered Skizz and Karl the Viking last month and really enjoyed the former, though the last story by just Baike was a gigantic tonal shift that I felt didn't really hold up next to the first two. Karl the Viking was a lot of fun but riddled with offensive caricatures, weird nonsense narratives, and oddly enough, misprints where Karl would be rendered as Erik for a page or two at a time. I reckon that is a result of their mixing up scans from later republications of the stories where he was renamed, which seems like something they should've caught.

Belardinelli is my absolute favorite 2000 AD artist, slightly edging out O'Neil/Bisley, for his work on Slaine and Dan Dare so Ace Trucking Company is at the tip top of my list. It's sort of a perfect example of the problems with 2000 AD's printing patterns, I can't find a copy of the first book for less than $100 from a reputable seller, but I'm gonna be keeping a look out for it for the forseeable future. The House of Dolmann and Kelly's Eye sound great too, I'm enough of a maniac to have watched all thirteen puppet master movies and am thus open to any puppet horror media.

As for the war comics those are great suggestions, thank you! I've got Major Eazy but I had no idea it was reworked into Kursed Earth Koburn. I mostly ignore the Megazine as I feel ambivalent about Dredd after the first ~8 files books (though I'm excited about Helltrekkers soon) but that sounds great. Haven't heard of One-Eyed Jack but that's going on my list, and I recently read a modern Johnny Red by Garth Ennis in his Battle collection from like 2018 and really liked it, so seeking out the rest of those is something I for sure intend to do in the future. I've never heard of Bad Company so that's going on the list too - I actually have a copy of Darkie's Mob en route since I felt it'd complement Clash of the Guards, The Sarge, and Major Eazy, too. I read these critically ofc and my master's degree is in history, so the tension between the comparatively sophisticated narrative content and the unambigously problematic depictions of Japanese/Indian/Black people in a lot of these books interests me as a discrete topic on top of the books themselves. Charley's War is also loving incredible and I can't overstate how fuckin cool it is you got a copy that way! I have the 2018 era collections with bookplates signed by Mills - I also have a signed Marshal Law and Diceman, they're the heart of my collection.

Sentinel Red posted:

lmao the Leopard of Lime Street was one of the most ridiculous of concepts: a Scouse superhero, basically Spider-Man but with a radioactive leopard in Liverpool.

I remember a later Dan Dare story where they were building an undersea tunnel ala the Chunnel and broke open a hollow that unleashed some kind of red jelly lifeforms that instantly devoured anything they touched, leaving only skeletons in seconds. No idea how it ended but it was kinda nightmare fuel when you were just a wee kid going through your (mostly funny) comic pile and coming across something like that.

yeah, I had ignored it in all my previous browsings but I randomly clicked it and realized it's like British proletarian knockoff Spiderman which seems like something I've just got to get my hands on eventually. I broadly despise superhero comics with rare exceptions and that kind of nonsense culturally and chronologically bound take on something is pretty much the only time I really dig those sorts of stories.

and yeah Dan Dare is shockingly violent for a children's comic. One of the very first stories deals with alien monsters who use humans as fuel, they constantly reference the preferred method of execution in the Dan Dare universe which is just straight up spacing someone, his fortship has a giant complement just so there are a half dozen redshirt style guys to get brutalized during every prog, etc. I've enjoyed DD more than I expected, it tempers the violence with interesting worlds and aliens where other magazines like Wildcat tried to get along with just the violence.

seriously, Wildcat's Turbo Jones spinoff Loner really had no idea what to do with itself and so it just kept turning into the kind of body horror I'm sure would legitimately frighten children of any era:

First he gets shrunk

Then turned into a skeleton

Then, like immediately afterwards, reduced to liquid

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 27, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Classic stuff! Always cool to see 70/80s comic appreciation, and I always love 2000AD. There's so much of it, and I'm not the most prestigious reader, so I'm gonna be busy forever. John Wagner alone has enough awesome writing for decades of reading.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Ace Trucking Company is at the tip top of my list. It's sort of a perfect example of the problems with 2000 AD's printing patterns, I can't find a copy of the first book for less than $100 from a reputable seller, but I'm gonna be keeping a look out for it for the forseeable future.

How do you feel about digital editions?

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN331

The 2000AD shop also has Get Harry Ex, a hardback collection of the first three Button Man series. The sequels were OK, but the first run is one of the best comics Wagner ever wrote.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

How do you feel about digital editions?

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN331

The 2000AD shop also has Get Harry Ex, a hardback collection of the first three Button Man series. The sequels were OK, but the first run is one of the best comics Wagner ever wrote.

Ambivalent, I usually read things on one of the free sites with an adblocker and strongly prefer to own a physical copy but this might be the rare circumstance where I just acquire a digital one, like when they sold and shipped me Sláine: Treasures of Britain only it turned out they never had any copies so they refunded me and credited a digital copy. I think I’m just gonna put Ace on my high price threshold list and grab the first copy I can find for ~$50-$70 since the parts I’ve read online so far we’re just perfect

Button Man is one of those things I’ve passed by a dozen plus times since there’s just so much to read (as alluded to two posts up) since I am also not a prestige comics kind of guy, I could read these forever and I absolutely love John Wagner, I’m really beginning to appreciate his tremendous range outside of Dredd. Given how excellent everything else you’ve listed is that’s gonna go in my next actual order to 2000AD, which is going to be outrageously expensive since I wanna preorder Strontium Dog, the next Hugo Pratt War Stories book, the Nemesis hardback, the webshop hardback for the last Trigan empire book, Helltrekkers, and at least one other thing and because they’re extremely bad at business they charge for pre orders immediately instead of when they ship

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I can possibly save you some money on Helltrekkers - it's in volume 68 of the Judge Dredd Mega-Collection piecework from Hachette. Check their website, they may have back issues available.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

I can possibly save you some money on Helltrekkers - it's in volume 68 of the Judge Dredd Mega-Collection piecework from Hachette. Check their website, they may have back issues available.

Oh dope thanks, I’m probably gonna get the hardback because it looks really neat but I didn’t know Hachette was still printing those and they were attainable without paying $60 in shipping every time so I’ll be keeping my eyes on em. Seems like at the vet least it’ll be a good way to read Dredd past the 7th volume someday, since that’s as far as I’ve gotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got two big boxes of comics from rebellion and Blackwell’s yesterday, gonna have a ton of fun reading through these over the next month or so. I also got the first Future Shocks book on Amazon and they’re so much fun, just delightful little ironic horror vignettes in the style of the twilight zone which works really well for 2000 AD and is a fun opportunity to see some of the unfamiliar names and their work, too.

Anyway I got pretty much all the WW2 Battle comics I’d been keeping an eye on, plus some stuff from the “girl” publications. Sugar Jones, Fran From the Floods, and Jinty: The Land of No Tears all seem like they’re going to be a lot of fun. I started Sugar Jones and it is classic Pat Mills but in a very different context, and definitely a bit anachronistic but I really enjoy the basic premise, which feels like any writer but Mills would have a hard time doing in a non-sexist way but his matriarchal proclivities, manifested so clearly in Nemesis, Finn, and Sláine restrain him enough.

I also got Clash of the Guards, Hellman of Hammer Force, Deathsquad, El Mestizo, Darkie’s Mob, Black Max 1+2, Major Eazy vs Rat Pack, Rat Pack, Ian Kennedy’s War Picture Library (same series that did all the Pratt stories), the first Johnny Red, and Steel Commando (which has bazooka Joe bubblegum pack vibes).

Hellman of Hammer Force feels extremely problematic and not in a good way, but tracks with the graduate seminar I took with a big segment on popular memories of the Second World War and is a good illustration of the way the clean Wehrmacht myth was propagated. Similarly El Mestizo takes an extremely odd position by modern standards and spends his time taking jobs from both the confederates and the Union, with an internal narrative that is broadly anti-war but has to contort itself in odd ways to justify working with slavers.

Was also quite amused to learn that Death Squad was written under a pseudonym because Hebden was also writing Fighting Mann and they didn’t want the overlap, even though Fighting Mann felt lackluster next to basically anything else Hebden wrote