Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

The 13600K is faster than the 7800X3D in starfield, which gives the impression that it likes lots of cores.
It doesn't.
There's nowhere near 100% utilization on even one of them, on my 7800X3D - much less all of them together (which no game manages).

EDIT: ↓ has a very good point.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The PCGH test that found that uses non-overclocked memory only, and AMD CPUs scale much better with faster memory than Intel CPUs, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that until more outlets have tested CPU performance, preferably ones that actually know how to turn on XMP/EXPO.

edit: That test also has the 2600X beating the 9900K, which is a result I really don't know what to make of: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Starfield-Spiel-61756/Specials/cpu-benchmark-requirements-anforderungen-1428119/

I think this might be a game that scales quite a bit with memory speed, seeing how there's a strong correlation between the stock memory speeds being tested and their placement in the rankings.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 1, 2023

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Wonder why they didn’t go with a better CPU.
GN doesn't change the CPU on their GPU test bench anywhere near as frequently as HUB does.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The LMG Labs will test every single CPU ever made on every single game with every single combination of GPU and RAM

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The LMG Labs will test every single CPU ever made on every single game with every single combination of GPU and RAM

I look forward to Starfield running on an 8088 with a RTX 4090 and 640k of RAM (Bill Gates was right all along!)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Considering my laptop DTR (razer blade 15, 3080, 11800h) can do starfield pretty well at 1440p its better optimized then I thought it would be

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

In what order? Alphabetical, chronological or…

https://youtu.be/2msCS8dvSok?si=UwbHI22-dN07Zhp2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: That test also has the 2600X beating the 9900K, which is a result I really don't know what to make of: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Starfield-Spiel-61756/Specials/cpu-benchmark-requirements-anforderungen-1428119/

"waste of sand"

yes, different memory speeds, but would that make that big a difference?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You wouldn't think the minimal IPC uplift and 4% higher clock speed would make that much of a difference either. The results are pretty weird across the board.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You wouldn't think the minimal IPC uplift and 4% higher clock speed would make that much of a difference either. The results are pretty weird across the board.
Since there's no mention of multiple runs - no min-max range specified (just average, not even mean or median values), no standard deviation, or confidence intervals - it's also entirely reasonable to assume that they just have a bad dataset from doing one run on each CPU.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 2, 2023

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Since there's no mention of multiple runs - no min/max/average values specified, no standard deviation, or confidence intervals - it's also entirely reasonable to assume that they just have a bad dataset from doing one run on each CPU.

Or the simplest answer, previous Creation Engine Bethesda games are almost universally bottle-necked by cache size and memory latency/speed. Hence why a 13400 is crushing a 11900k because it was using ddr5 and has a larger cache.

Wankie fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 2, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wankie posted:

Or the simplest answer, previous Creation Engine Bethesda games are almost universally bottle-necked by cache size and memory latency/speed.
Is there some reputable data to support this?

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is there some reputable data to support this?
I forgot to reenable XMP after a bios update and was playing Fallout 4 and was getting just awful performance that I didn't notice in other games. Seriously Fallout 4 was like 30% slower with XMP off.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It makes sense, open world games stress memory management the most and Bethesda is open world as double gently caress.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rinkles posted:

"waste of sand"

yes, different memory speeds, but would that make that big a difference?

Huh. I'm still on a 9900K with a 3090.. but I am using 3200. Guess we'll find out. Been looking to upgrade but not there quite yet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wankie posted:

I forgot to reenable XMP after a bios update and was playing Fallout 4 and was getting just awful performance that I didn't notice in other games. Seriously Fallout 4 was like 30% slower with XMP off.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page6.html
I can see how it'd make a bigger difference if we're talking a heavily-modded BGS game - and this and this do seem to back up the notion, although there seems a pretty big difference.

Interestingly enough, it seems PBO+CO performs better than messing with BCLK.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arivia posted:

I look forward to Starfield running on an 8088 with a RTX 4090 and 640k of RAM (Bill Gates was right all along!)

https://youtu.be/c5QH38bum8I?si=cov78I1GXHJ0vNl7

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arivia posted:

It makes sense, open world games stress memory management the most and Bethesda is open world as double gently caress.

Nah, a >20% drop in performance from a <10% change in memory speed doesn't make sense even if the game is entirely constrained by memory.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cypress Cove is actually a pretty massive IPC uplift over Skylake, which you expect given that Skylake was a 2015 architecture that was dragged along for four generations. It was almost 20% at launch and security updates since have hit Skylake more than newer generations. 11th gen was mostly rear end because of the 10nm to 14nm backport causing issues with cooling, and the core count drop, but it's actually a decent step up clock for clock.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

The PCGH test that found that uses non-overclocked memory only, and AMD CPUs scale much better with faster memory than Intel CPUs, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that until more outlets have tested CPU performance, preferably ones that actually know how to turn on XMP/EXPO.

I think this might be a game that scales quite a bit with memory speed, seeing how there's a strong correlation between the stock memory speeds being tested and their placement in the rankings.

[SPECULATIVE RAMBLING] on this by Actually Hardcore Overclocking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4zRowjQjMs
He thinks it's memory bandwidth related

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

it is very tempting to write an x86-64 emulator for an 8088 in response to this post

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Arivia posted:

don't threaten me with a good time

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

it is very tempting to write an x86-64 emulator for an 8088 in response to this post

do it U coward

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought this was an interesting video from Optimum Tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehXZftIYok

using air flow guides to gain a 10 degree drop in temps is significant, but it's so specific to the build that you probably wouldn't be able to pull it off without custom work

and I guess that's why the only place I've ever see air flow guides before is in OEM builds like Dell Optiplexes: if you're churning out tens of thousands of the things then there's enough of a production run to justify it, but otherwise liquid cooling becomes the more compatible option for DIY parts

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have to think you could do pretty well with some eyeballed 3d prints, though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
for a german site you'd think they would be more particular about actually keeping a consistent ram configuration

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

I have to think you could do pretty well with some eyeballed 3d prints, though.

i was thinking about flexible ducts, like portable A/C units have.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought this was an interesting video from Optimum Tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehXZftIYok

using air flow guides to gain a 10 degree drop in temps is significant, but it's so specific to the build that you probably wouldn't be able to pull it off without custom work

and I guess that's why the only place I've ever see air flow guides before is in OEM builds like Dell Optiplexes: if you're churning out tens of thousands of the things then there's enough of a production run to justify it, but otherwise liquid cooling becomes the more compatible option for DIY parts
ya we talked about that itt a while ago:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah i see a number of problems with his setup, let's just start with how the case was beforehand and map the airflow even roughly:

green in intake, red is exhaust, orange are the obvious problems.

with the top exhaust located centrally all it's really doing is grabbing the cool air as it goes in and creating a hot pocket in the top-left part of the machine. that the funnel helped there isn't shocking he just forced one of the short-circuits to be blocked. the gpu funnel forces the other short-circuit to exhaust out of the front-intake (now an exhaust), and really makes sure the short-circuit in the top-right area is impossible. the funnel in the top-left is the best if only because he lacks a dedicated rear exhaust fan, having a funnel force the cpu cooler to do it properly helps with air pressure so no surprise he feels that working better now

now the concerning part i see in all of this is he did all of this then.. leaves the top-left and bottom-right fans recirculate hot air back into the case which he only realised when testing. that tells me for all of his 3d modeling he never really thought about the system as a whole but was blinded about the per-component cooling plan. checking the gpu and cpu off of overall temp levels is alright, but what about the other components in that case

if i were to do this from scratch i've been moving the top-exhaust fans all the way left before even mapping out anything else. also hesitant to see that bottom fan doing anything productive, i vaguely recall GN looking into it but i don't remember their analysis off-hand. all i see with this design is turbulence everywhere, which does raise the question about all those hard corners in the funnels and noise profiles but that's beyond the scope of his video

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

well why not posted:

i was thinking about flexible ducts, like portable A/C units have.

Flex ducting is a "if you have to" thing and tends to really hurt air throughput, and depending on how thick they are they tend to lose heat out of them too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
so despite being unsubbed from Lienus, I am suddenly getting bombarded with suggested videos.

And honestly, could you possibly have a less-appealing premise than "all-temu battlestation" what with how you can't go an entire video without a temu midroll?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
was there ever a resolution to the cablemod 4090 melting connector saga?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

was there ever a resolution to the cablemod 4090 melting connector saga?

They gave people affected a discount on the fixed version.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I love the idea that from now on and forever, people will automatically substitute 'Lie-nus' for the Linus in LTT.

Also predict that in his usual jokey cutesy (to himself) narcissistic fashion, he will ignore the Madison issues and double down on dropping CPUs on the floor and picking them up and looking at the viewer and saying 'ah still usable'

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

so despite being unsubbed from Lienus, I am suddenly getting bombarded with suggested videos.

And honestly, could you possibly have a less-appealing premise than "all-temu battlestation" what with how you can't go an entire video without a temu midroll?

There was some weird Temu push on YouTube last week. Seems like a ton of channels ‘ordered random stuff off Temu’ and they all got top quality stuff exactly like the pictures on the site and ‘the quality is way better than Wish.com or Aliexpress’

Seems sus to me

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

CBD Corndog posted:

There was some weird Temu push on YouTube last week. Seems like a ton of channels ‘ordered random stuff off Temu’ and they all got top quality stuff exactly like the pictures on the site and ‘the quality is way better than Wish.com or Aliexpress’

Seems sus to me

I'd suspect everyone's orders lined up or they're all very unoriginal more than anything else. Also, in my experience, unless you're looking to buy something sketchy off Temu, what you see is what you'll get, though, like a lot of the tech YouTube videos of the past week note, don't expect intact packaging with their logistics choices. However, Temu is apparently losing money hand over fist to make the prices/quality/advertising push balance they have work, so at some point, they're either going to bump the prices up or dump the quality control or go under. It's sus, just for different reasons.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've never bought computer stuff from Temu and wouldn't, but their woodworking and 3d printing stuff has all been as-ordered.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

They gave people affected a discount on the fixed version.

voucher code covered the cost of the new one. except shipping was $11-25 lmao.

e- my cable didn't melt. i got the 90 degree v1 when it first released then got an email in early august that they would cover the cost the new cable, and once you used the code they wouldn't cover the warranty for v1. so gambling a couple weeks between using the code and getting the new cable. they didn't mention any of the issues with the v1 in the email lol.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 4, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tracecomplete posted:

I've never bought computer stuff from Temu and wouldn't, but their woodworking and 3d printing stuff has all been as-ordered.

how are temu 3D printers?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Meanwhile, GN did me a solid when they announced their new mat. Put a hold on my existing order for the old one, let me order the new, canceled the old. Remarkably painless for a small seller.

Ok Comboomer posted:

how are temu 3D printers?

Oh I don't mean their printers, I'm not insane, I meant supplies - screws, extrusion, nozzles, occasionally some special offer filament (mostly TPU). All fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Thanks thread, I just signed up to temu and got 3 of the 5 items in my first order for free. Absolute fuckin tat that I'm sure will break or be binned after a couple of months but it's pretty impressive how insanely gamified their app is.