Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
It's a fine game, it's just missing a lot of quality of life things that Bethesda themselves figured out 10-15 years ago, feels extremely rushed. So it doesn't feel like a triple A game at times as a result, feels like a really ambitious early access game. 7/10 review is fair, subtract a point if you wanted some things, add a point if you loving loved fallout4 and don't mind thousands of unnamed "Citizens" wandering around with racist hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mehrunes posted:

Put more engines on your ship.

This is fantastic advice I wish I figured out earlier. I now have a big ship that is actually faster in speed than when it was a nearly default Frontier.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
honestly after act 3 of baldurs gate 3 I'm just thankful it's clear which people I can safely ignore in starfield

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I'm just doing the main quest. I have not yet seen an interesting side quest that I care about. None of the character's I've met except for Mining Supervisor lady from the start has any interesting traits. I want her to be a companion.

I've got 2 parts of whatever the thing is...and I do not care about it. Neither does anyone else it seems "Oh it had an energy spike! Oh. Nothing Happened".

How do I repair my ship? I almost got blown up after knocking out the engines of a ship...but no one mentioned you can shoot it's guns out FIRST. Pressing 0 does nothing.

Is there some medidoc or something I can go to heal affiliations? I picked up 4 of them on Ganymede exploring...an hole in the ground and a piping station. Not interesting in the least. I went to sleep but I'm still got something causing a cough.

How do you actually survey a planet to 100%? I got Ganymede to 95%, but couldn't do anything to a He outcrop.

The tutorial for this game is bad :(

I've had 2 hard crashes and lock ups so far. Ugh.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

On my playtrough of Starfield, the biggest problem I have is weight of the loot. 90% of the memorable remarks of companions are either the companion complaining I loot everything, I have too much weight or a combination of the both. I applaud the devs for finding different ways to include variety in these lines but is weirdly nagging.

And theres very littel I can do. I want to push science, so I need a large variety of mats. And so for upgrades. Weapons unlocks. Base building.

I have made the inventory of the ship bigger, but I still have this problem. I also took the perk to increase weight I can carry. I am not even picking everything I see, only the stuff that seems usefull.

I have no problem with the inventory, is not worse than Skyrim, It may even be better than Skyrim/Fallout. Is think what I miss is a "Send stuff to the ship" (like in NMS) or a "Send stuff to the campment" (like in BG3). I have to do that myself, moving slowly stuff from my character to companions, using them has mules, or to the ship, when I can. And If is stuff to sell, back to the my inventory. BG3 and NMS let you sell stuff from all inventories.

Doom 3 introduced dynamic lights in 2004.
They can be optimized by having less of them active. Or raising the global light. Even replacing them by lights that iluminate in area, but don't cast shadows.

But Fallout 4 did not had the super high res textures this game shows. When you look at a computer panel in Starfield, you can read it, and is full of smallish details, it sells the impression you are looking at a spaceship information panel. But thats a super high res textures. Unreal would automatically (maybe?) a low res version, then the high res one if possible. Maybe this engine is not has flexible.

I have this same issue with inventory management, it's rather tedious.

On the bright side it is possible to sell from your ship inventory in some situations. Like, my ship was parked outside Cydonia on Mars and I went down to the trade association guy and was able to sell from ship there. You just hit like Q until it switches to it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Comstar posted:

So I'm just doing the main quest. I have not yet seen an interesting side quest that I care about. None of the character's I've met except for Mining Supervisor lady from the start has any interesting traits. I want her to be a companion.

I've got 2 parts of whatever the thing is...and I do not care about it. Neither does anyone else it seems "Oh it had an energy spike! Oh. Nothing Happened".

How do I repair my ship? I almost got blown up after knocking out the engines of a ship...but no one mentioned you can shoot it's guns out FIRST. Pressing 0 does nothing.

Is there some medidoc or something I can go to heal affiliations? I picked up 4 of them on Ganymede exploring...an hole in the ground and a piping station. Not interesting in the least. I went to sleep but I'm still got something causing a cough.

How do you actually survey a planet to 100%? I got Ganymede to 95%, but couldn't do anything to a He outcrop.

The tutorial for this game is bad :(

I've had 2 hard crashes and lock ups so far. Ugh.

Good news. She is. Sounds like Bethesda stories aren't your cup of tea.

"O" not 0.

Yes, go to a doctor and ask for treatment. Or buy one of the many healing kits related to whatever affliction you have.

Survey all the minerals, flora, and fauna that are available and sometimes you need to find unique POI's to fully survey a planet.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Any suggestions for what I should be looking for to build an outpost? I've spotted a couple decent planets but I've also only been to three systems so far, not sure if I'm jumping the gun. Also when I use crafting stations planetside, does it only use my inventory or does it still use the ship's inventory as well?

Aluminum and iron appear to be the most commonly used crafting materials for the basic buildings you're gonna craft first, so if you want to make a big base I think you wanna mine that stuff a lot. I have no idea if there's an economy at all yet to sell materials to so idk if it even matters if you set up on a planet with rarer stuff.

The cargo link building can send materials automatically from one planet to another so its probably a good idea to stick in one system to start with if you can't get all the materials you want from one planet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The o vs 0 thing is a massive dick move too. 0 is the default quick slot for healing in personal combat. Making it O on the ship is just a bad game decision

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Brogeoisie posted:

It's a fine game, it's just missing a lot of quality of life things that Bethesda themselves figured out 10-15 years ago, feels extremely rushed.

Which is crazy because I feel like I've been hearing about this game for like five years.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Game finnaly clicked for me.

I now have a ship that can face a combat against 3 other ships and survive. I have modified my ship heavily to turn it into a missile frigate. Anything that I lock / or on fly towards me get a absurd number of rockets in the face. Also in this game missiles are good agains shields, for some reason.

I found some gear with the perk that lowers the weigt of weapons by 50%. That alone has solved my weight problem, so it seems most weight the player carry is from having 5 different weapons.

I played one long side mission that was good. I wish the main story was this good, but if side missions have entertaining side caractes like this, I could do more of them. I was a mission where the two factions cooperate against the pirates.

Lots of bugs. This game is not finished.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The good news here is that thanks to Starfield, we now know that there's nothing to worry about with regards to unrealistic expectations being foisted on developers. Indies were understandably concerned that the sheer level of detail put into BG3 might lead to consumers demanding that level of output from those who don't remotely have the resources to compete. But here we have a AAA developer putting out utter mediocrity and people are completely unfazed, wouldn't even think of expecting more! Crisis averted.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

fellas fellas, they are both bad UIs.

The new Beth release effect: this is not as lovely as this other game. (Often another Beth game.)

Also see: modding will fix it.

Which last is mostly true and why I'll a couple years before buying this I think. Though some of the reviews say the quests and writing are solid - is it? Not just by Beth standards, I mean.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Comstar posted:

If you land at a spaceport, the guys who handle ship upgrades and swaps should also repair for a flat 1000 credits. Haven't looked at the pricing of the relevant Aid items to see how that compares, but it's definitely way cheaper to buy consumables from doctors to cure stuff like infections than paying the doc to do it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It'll probably be quite good in another 2 years of fan mods and such.

I'm not sure how they mod out everything looking and sounding like a californian tech corporate park.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The good news here is that thanks to Starfield, we now know that there's nothing to worry about with regards to unrealistic expectations being foisted on developers. Indies were understandably concerned that the sheer level of detail put into BG3 might lead to consumers demanding that level of output from those who don't remotely have the resources to compete. But here we have a AAA developer putting out utter mediocrity and people are completely unfazed, wouldn't even think of expecting more! Crisis averted.

Some things in Starfield are mediocre, not all things. Theres good production values and brillance in parts, even if others are like a 2017 game they had in a time capsule.

Also the bad parts of Starfield are not mediocre, because bad != mediocre.

Starfield would not sell has much has is going to sell if it where a mediocre game and that where the entire story.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Well duh, it's a video game not a house or something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well duh, it's a video game not a house or something.

Are we heading towards a tofu dreg analogy?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm really enjoying Neon so far. It feels suitably cyberpunk. And hell I haven't even gone to the lower levels yet.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Are we heading towards a tofu dreg analogy?

Idk wtf that means.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SHISHKABOB posted:

Idk wtf that means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu-dreg_project

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I love BG3 very much but the thing that is getting tiresome with BG3 is this weird narrative where it’s like the pinnacle of gaming, pristine, no problems.

You do not have to look very hard to see examples of the “reactivity” in BG3 breaking down, parts of the game that are half-completed or just straight up broken (particularly in Act 3), or places where the sales pitch doesn’t meet the reality in that game, too (basically anything involving an “evil” playthrough, particularly once you get out of Act 1). Man, Minthara’s whole storyline disappears as soon as you get to the halfway point in the game. What a mediocre game. Half the dialogue in the ending scenario flips around because the triggers tracking who is the mindflayer now don’t work right. What a lazy dev.

Again, the game is a stunning game and deservedly should be heralded as the top of the CRPG genre. But using it as a cudgel to poo poo on top of other work loving sucks and is some dumb online gamer poo poo.

Take the games on their own merits. There’s plenty of poo poo to criticize well about Starfield, but the most mediocre and lazy thing about the game is the dumb as loving dog water discourse around it so far.

And let’s not even get into people somehow talking about Star Citizen like it’s not an abusive Ponzi scheme because it lets them get dunks in on Bethesda.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 2, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That's funny. You were bitching in the BG3 thread every post too lol.

Literally

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

John F Bennett posted:

As a huge Bethesda fan, I think this game is a masterpiece when it comes to the classic Bethesda single-player experience.

If you never liked these games, you won't like this one. But if you do, this is exactly what you were looking for.

I can't stop playing it, there is so much to do and see. Todd has done it again, could end up as my personal GOTY.

I was baffled that several people in my steam FL already played 7-12 hours yesterday.
Like wtf?
After 6 hours I sunk myself already today that felt like 2, it’s obvious that Starfield caters a certain audience, and when you are part of that, it is a really great and awesome experience, nice atmosphere and a nailed space setting.

The UI is bad, the graphics outdated and some stuff is janky. It’s a Bethesda experience.
But on the good side: Well and holy poo poo does Bethesda execute excellence in immersion and story and world building, again.

I told my wife she has a free weekend, I will poopsock Starfield until Monday 01:00 AM , it’s better than what I expected. So much stuff to do.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So is the trend of review embargo = just an OK game at best holding up with this?

Has there ever been a game which had a review embargo until extremely close to launch and turned out to be phenomenal?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's funny. You were bitching in the BG3 thread every post too lol.

Literally

Indeed. Baldur’s Gate 3 has a ton of issues. But it actually made a good effort.

Hard to call anything Starfield does effort. It’s a reheated ten year old game.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kin posted:

So is the trend of review embargo = just an OK game at best holding up with this?

Has there ever been a game which had a review embargo until extremely close to launch and turned out to be phenomenal?

Bethesda always does very close to release embargoes. Doom (2016) didn't even send out review copies ahead of time, outlets just had to play the game on the same day as everyone else. That game turned out okay.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Kin posted:

They gave outlets like a month with the game and the embargo was up like a week before launch (which is 9/6 for folks who don’t want to pay for the deluxe edition).

If they were trying to hide the game they would have done it a lot differently.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think one of the best silver linings of the inventory is that you can still sprint and run around while overencumbered. On low G planets you can fly pretty far on each jump and not go into the red with oxygen at all practically. Unfortunately no fast travel so being overencumbered in a dungeon sucks major rear end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Encumbrance is always the first thing to disable in a Bethesda games via the console

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Weightlifting is up there with tier 1 boost packs in the “every character should probably take this” category.

It’s also pretty easy to get the skill challenges through normal play so for the low cost of like 4 skill points you can double your natural carrying capacity

But yeah the second there’s a no encumbrance mod on console I’m palm slapping that poo poo in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Given that Starfield's reviews are at 88 on Metacritic it's hard to argue that they had any reason to try and get around a bad reaction with an embargo. Obviously they'd love to be on like 94 or whatever but they are well within the bounds of all their other major games, other than Fallout 76, it's asinine to argue that the game is mid from the perspective of critical reaction. The embargo was when it was so that the big glut of reviews dropping over the course of that day built up the hype further (and arguably to make sure everyone had the time to really engage with the game rather than rushing to get their review out first).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

VanillaGorilla posted:

Weightlifting is up there with tier 1 boost packs in the “every character should probably take this” category.

It’s also pretty easy to get the skill challenges through normal play so for the low cost of like 4 skill points you can double your natural carrying capacity

But yeah the second there’s a no encumbrance mod on console I’m palm slapping that poo poo in.

yeah i consoled that poo poo away immediately on PC.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Comstar posted:

For Lin, you can recruit her when you go back to Vectera to see about Barret, also Heller fwiw

I'm pretty surprised how many named recruitable NPCs I've run into, I had to add more beds to my ship just to fit them all.

Also, random tip for the thread, the 2 or 3 block rectangle spaceship crew quarters have alt forms with crafting benches.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Asked for a refund of the premium edition upgrade and will attempt to play this game again on game pass after its official release. Maybe.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so explain crew members to me, do you get their skills or something?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Indeed. Baldur’s Gate 3 has a ton of issues. But it actually made a good effort.

Hard to call anything Starfield does effort. It’s a reheated ten year old game.

its the difference between a nice cut of steak cooked more or less right and one of those frozen hamburgers that cost $1. both have their rightful places! as a Gamer, youre allowed to enjoy both! or one or the other or neither!

except the weird gas station hamburger costs more in this case

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

queeb posted:

so explain crew members to me, do you get their skills or something?

It’s not quite as direct as you getting the benefit of their skills, but the station or ship they crew is supposed to benefit from their skills (e.g. % damage or shield bonuses), yes. You have to assign them in the crew screen for it to work.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Where do I find this flight sim people are talking about? My X4 muscle memory is really messing me up and I need some space combat practice.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
For people on the first hours of play. Pay attention to loot objects that look like magazines. Magazines are back in this game, are items that give a flat upgrade to stats that is passive, just by having in the inventory and they weight 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Where do I find this flight sim people are talking about? My X4 muscle memory is really messing me up and I need some space combat practice.

You get to play in the simulator as part of the quest where you join the Vanguard. You’ll run into it naturally if you’re following the main quest (very early). You can probably also run to MAST headquarters and just talk to the guy, too (Capt. Tano, I think?).

By the way, it’s really important to understand that in typical BGS style, you can basically be in all factions at once and it’s fine. Joining the UC doesn’t lock you out of joining the Freestar Collective guys. I think you can even join the pirates and still be cool with everyone else. And the faction quests are (also typical BGS) much more interesting than most of the Constellation line.