Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, it's because the first freeways in socal were not numbered, but instead named, e.g., "the san diego freeway" and "the santa monica freeway". When they started numbering them, people who were used to calling it "the santa monica freeway" switched to just saying "the 10" instead, keeping the "the" in front. The rest of the country would typically say something like I-10 instead, so it is somewhat unusual. That said, I grew up in the central coast and we all called it the 101, so the dialect makes it that far north, at least.

this is the first time I’ve ever heard the reasoning for that dialect explained, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Captain Foo posted:

this is the first time I’ve ever heard the reasoning for that dialect explained, thank you

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
A new way to California someone's Texas.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
californians are largely to blame for all the worst things about austin so there's already a lot of rage stewing there; when i meet a new one and they start telling me why they said "the 2222" i have to concentrate really hard to keep from yelling at them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I-69 cuts through somewhere north of me and if that’s how Michiganders said it I’d have a laugh every time lol

The sixty nine

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hell me too :mmmhmm:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Corla Plankun posted:

californians are largely to blame for all the worst things about austin so there's already a lot of rage stewing there; when i meet a new one and they start telling me why they said "the 2222" i have to concentrate really hard to keep from yelling at them

Lol @ blaming Californians for making Texas bad. And I say this as someone who complains about Californians

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

Lol @ blaming Californians for making Texas bad.

[californian takes a dump]

[dude stuck in the septic tank] wow, californians are just RUINING this place for the rest of us

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Californians did gently caress up Colorado though. Texas probably got better overall

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i am a moron posted:

Californians did gently caress up Colorado though. Texas probably got better overall

the irony there is that texans hosed up colorado first

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the punchline on “the californians are loving up texas” is that the californians moving to texas are the californians choosing to move to texas

they voted for cruz over beto much more than long term residents, for example

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

[dude stuck in the septic tank] wow, californians are just RUINING this place for the rest of us

I'll complain at you guys for Washington and Oregon. But Texas??????????

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

This place sure was nice before those people who could read moved in

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Californians can be redirected to Ohio instead of MI or MN tia

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Did a phone screen for Pinterest, it's fully remote in Mexico that I can do from my house by the sea.

Wish me luck

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

complaining about californians in oregon went out of fashion a long time ago, we got that out of our systems in the 80s and 90s

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Janitor Prime posted:

Did a phone screen for Pinterest, it's fully remote in Mexico that I can do from my house by the sea.

Wish me luck

i wish you luck, but i wish pinterest nothing but harm, so i’m not sure how that balances out

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PokeJoe posted:

This place sure was nice before those people who could read moved in

rotor posted:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Californians can be redirected to Ohio instead of MI or MN tia

unfortunately ohio is too powerful, they would just turn into ohians and then move somewhere else and complain about how its not like ohio

Janitor Prime posted:

Wish me luck

good luck goon

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Californians also managed to make Arizona less livable during and post-covid (as much as covid can be defined as “post”)

really it’s a testament to how much Californians make everything worse, including California

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lotta people jealous that their state isn't as nice as CA itt

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah I wish Texas was more like California. It makes the conservatives super mad, which is a neat bonus.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

imo socal is paradise so yeah I’m extremely jealous

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LA has 200 more sunny days than Detroit does and I can imagine how much better my mental health would be

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

California is a garden of Eden. A paradise to live in or see

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
California would be better as like two different states.

Or maybe five.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tk posted:

California would be better as like two different states.

Or maybe five.

hey that gives me an idea

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

California is a garden of Eden. A paradise to live in or see

it is as though a piece of Heaven itself has alighted upon the Earth

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its aight but they deffo pay you more money here

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

didn't look too fun in "there will be blood"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

California invented Fresno to train the faithful

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Lol socal is an endless concrete jungle and traffic jam with poo poo beaches. About as charming as Dallas. I wish I had four hands, so I could give that part of the state four thumbs down

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

shitface posted:

Californians also managed to make Arizona less livable during and post-covid (as much as covid can be defined as “post”)

really it’s a testament to how much Californians make everything worse, including California

in awe of the power of californians to somehow make arizona less livable

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shitface posted:

we californians certainly are a contentious bunch

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

I'll complain at you guys for Washington and Oregon. But Texas??????????

classic case of simpson's paradox

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
im californian

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

shitface posted:

Which is funny because in San Diego there is a long running meme about vacationers from Arizona (zonies) ruining everything. So I guess it runs both ways.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

i am a moron posted:

Lol socal is an endless concrete jungle and traffic jam with poo poo beaches. About as charming as Dallas. I wish I had four hands, so I could give that part of the state four thumbs down

"Nobody goes there any more; it's too crowded."

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Quackles posted:

"Nobody goes there any more; it's too crowded."

*sigh* it used to be a townie bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

LA has 200 more sunny days than Detroit does and I can imagine how much better my mental health would be

so does bakersfield though