Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Bush Sr wanted to keep all the groping to himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

That's uhh... less than great. I hope this stays as an anomalous case report.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Well, had to drive to the next town over to get Pax since the local pharmacy was all out for some reason! But at least we did get some. We* have the tools!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Massachusetts hasnt reported covid hospitalizations in 2 months now.

West Virginia stopped reporting them a month ago.

New Mexico has only reported one since July.

and Minnesota only has 6?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

Massachusetts hasnt reported covid hospitalizations in 2 months now.

West Virginia stopped reporting them a month ago.

New Mexico has only reported one since July.

and Minnesota only has 6?

well yeah, COVID is over

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Is it possible I can get my wife sick? She recovered faster than me and is not sick nor rebounded like I did.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Very unlikely.

Sorry you're going through this, Glumwheels :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah if you were both sick at the same time and she's recovered it's extremely unlikely that you'll reinfect her (like, she can care for you maskless level), small blessings

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know what things are like with the current variants or how pax plays into things, but in earlier studies, the vast majority of people weren't shedding culturable virus after like 10-12 days post-symptom onset.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I just think if her immune system successfully reacted to and eliminated / cleared the current virus im presuming they both had, she's good to roll at least for a few weeks. Serum antibody concentration persists for a while it's like 4 months and then it declines

Not sure about pax and viral load / shedding either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I assume she’s safe from the same variant for a few months, but who knows with the Sinister Six of variants out there. I think the cases of people getting reinfected in 3 weeks might’ve been because of different variants

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Zugzwang posted:

Very unlikely.

Sorry you're going through this, Glumwheels :(

Thanks, I’ll continue to mask and isolate to keep my fam safe. Hooray, another loving week of this poo poo.

And now I have nothing to take to help me except Sudafed and Tylenol. Doctor gave me a nose spray but wouldn’t give me another round of paxlovid. He said I’m probably halfway through the rebound, sure buddy.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

Thanks, I’ll continue to mask and isolate to keep my fam safe. Hooray, another loving week of this poo poo.

And now I have nothing to take to help me except Sudafed and Tylenol. Doctor gave me a nose spray but wouldn’t give me another round of paxlovid. He said I’m probably halfway through the rebound, sure buddy.
lmao jfc we have the tools, but you can't have them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/a_h_reaume/status/1697656348341833815?s=46

hmm!

looks like they go $25-65 an hour

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i've done this with a couple friends, some places end up being a not-bad deal per-person/per-hour (the place we went ended up being i think about $8/hour for each of us?), but it depends on the host, and some come with nice little extras. worth a look if anyone's in a still-warm-ish place and thinks a swim / bbq / hot tub / bonfire might be a nice time and [like me] have none of those things themselves.

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.
Whoa.

https://www.mypanhandle.com/health/coronavirus-pandemic/coronavirus/covid-19-cases-spike-statewide-but-no-one-is-talking-about-it/

tldr: lol, lmao.

quote:

We asked the Bay County Health Department to talk to us about the apparent spike but were told they didn’t know anything about it. They referred us to the State Department of Health for comment. We called the number provided and held for 30 minutes before hanging up.

Neither of Bay County’s major hospitals returned our calls. We checked with some local pharmacies to see if more people were getting vaccinated. They told us they weren’t giving COVID vaccines and didn’t expect any new vaccine until October.

Not that they have any meaningful recommendations for what to do, but I'm shocked local journalists actually made calls about it and moreover say the pandemic isn't over. I do not envy the person who takes viewer/reader phonecalls--going to be a busy, angry day for them.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Rochallor posted:

It's likely impossible to track, but I'd like to see how infectivity correlates with people bothering to give a poo poo about covid. A mutation needs to be fit when some people are actually trying to stop it from spreading, but now? Any old variant will do.

I've been debating whether or not to post about this just because of how rattled it left me, but I've been out traveling this week and when I was at Yellowstone, some fuckhead ripped my mask off in the parking lot. I had just been to see Old Faithful and was putting my bike back on the car when I heard some giggling, I turned around and two beefy dudes were there, one of them with his hand in my face. I was too surprised for any kind of witty retort, so I just batted him away and got in my van.

It was a pretty low-risk situation (I was about to take it off anyway, lmao) and it's been several days since then so I figure I'm in the clear, but christ, I can't even post what I hope happens to that fucker. Anyway, southeastern Wyoming is nice as well, never been here before.

This worries me in general. For some reason ppl have always loved to pick fights with me. I can handle myself but that makes some men feel like they have to prove themselves.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A vaccine candidate thought to be able to provide broader protection fails:

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/bavarian-nordics-covid-19-vaccine-vanquished-variant-vulnerability-phase-3-data-reveal posted:

Bavarian Nordic's COVID shot vanquished by variant vulnerability as phase 3 data reveal flaw

Bavarian Nordic’s vision of ending the COVID-19 vaccine adaptation cycle is over. The Danish drugmaker found its phase 3 trial data support the need for variant-specific vaccines and, because its shot cannot be adapted quickly, has accepted the candidate “no longer represents a commercial opportunity.”
(..)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Glumwheels posted:

I guess I have a rebound case, I tested positive via rapid PCR for COVID today. I can’t stand this poo poo anymore, loving sick of it.

Sick of all of it, the government and the irresponsible assholes who go around sick. I don’t want tk be sick anymore or a risk to anyone in my house.

sorry man. a recrudescence of symptoms and positive testing in the second week happens in a similar rate in both paxlovid and non pax cases. There’s not a lot of evidence you are contagious during that time period (though precautions are still a good idea) and it’s hard to know if your meds had anything to do or if this is just natural course of disease.

I tested negative by day 5, tested positive again at day like 8 or 9, felt sick again for a few days, kept testing positive until day…16? had cardiovascular dysregulation for about 3 weeks total measured by my whoop. then ran the Boston marathon 3 months later. So hopefully everything will work out and also I’m sorry you are going through this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

A vaccine candidate thought to be able to provide broader protection fails:

They put spikes on a D20 and drew immune aggro with with shark liver oil (adjuvant MF59, major ingredient squalene). :powercatte:

https://doi.org/10.1038%2Fs41467-020-20251-8 posted:

a Schematic representation of the complete SARS-CoV-2 spike protein including the two RBD-Catcher antigen designs. NTD = N-terminal domain, FL = full-length, RBD = receptor-binding domain, SD1 = subdomain 1, SD2 = subdomain 2, FP = fusion peptide, HR1 = heptad repeat 1, HR2 = heptad repeat 2, TM = transmembrane region, IC = intracellular domain. b Individual vaccine components on a reduced SDS-PAGE. M: marker, lane 1: unconjugated Tag-CLPs (16.5 kDa), lane 2: RBDc-CLP conjugation after overnight incubation at 4 °C (60 kDa), lane 3: RBDc-CLP conjugation after overnight incubation at 4 °C (60 kDa) + spin test, lane 4: unconjugated Tag-CLPs (16.5 kDa), lane 5: RBDn-CLP conjugation after overnight incubation at RT (60 kDa), lane 6: RBDn-CLP conjugation after overnight incubation at RT (60 kDa) + spin test. This test was repeated >5 times and showed consistent results. c Schematic representation of the Tag/Catcher-AP205 technology used to create the RBD-CLP vaccines. The genetically fused peptide Tag at the N-terminus of each AP205 capsid protein (total of 180 subunits per CLP) allows unidirectional and high-density coupling of the RBD antigens, via interaction with the N- or C-terminal Catcher (i.e. the corresponding binding partner). d Structural illustration of the RBD-CLP vaccines, based on the SARS-CoV-2 spike (Sequence ID: QIA20044.1), Tag/Catcher, and AP205 CLP (Sequence ID: NP_085472.1)41 structures. The Tag is shown in red, Catcher in green, RBD in grey with the amino acids residues involved in ACE2 binding interface shown as red spheres.

Phase I data here: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2666-5247(22)00337-8

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Sep 2, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

They put spikes on a D20 and drew immune aggro with with shark liver oil (adjuvant MF59, major ingredient squalene). :powercatte:

(..)

:chaostrump:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Sep 2, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hey, they didn't drop the new life expectancy data yet.

Eh, probably not a big deal, I mean it's the labor day weekend after all, they probably will just have it done when they get back right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
huh they updated today

EG5 is already losing gas to FL151

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Did anybody say Florida variant yet?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I had to fly to/from DC this weekend, pretty good masking rate, up to even like a third. Mostly kn95s or better too

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Sep 2, 2023

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My kid brought covid home. Looks like SesameCare requires video consultation. How is PushHealth? I saw that they have a form, but do I need to deal with a video call through them as well? I know there's a ton of data on this in the thread, but I seem to be bad at finding it.

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 72 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4184259-federal-appeals-court-revives-lawsuit-against-fda-over-covid-19-ivermectin-messaging/ posted:

Federal appeals court revives lawsuit against FDA over COVID-19 ivermectin messaging

A federal appeals court ruled Friday that a lawsuit against the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) over its campaign against the use of ivermectin to treat COVID-19 can continue, reversing a lower court decision.

Three doctors sued the FDA last year claiming that the agency’s anti-ivermectin campaign went too far, overstepping its authority and acting more as a medical body than a regulator.
(..)
The FDA’s campaign, which included viral signs reading “You are not a horse,” emphasized agency recommendations that ivermectin — an anti-parasite medication often used for horses but sometimes prescribed to humans — should not be used to treat COVID-19.
(..)
The three doctors said their reputations were harmed by the FDA campaign because they promoted ivermectin use. One doctor was suspended from a hospital, while another was fired from a medical school.

Mary Talley Bowen, one of the plaintiffs, celebrated the ruling Friday.

“A small win, or at least a step forward, in a monumental battle to protect the doctor-patient relationship from government tyranny,” she said. “ONWARD!”
:thumbsup:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Loucks posted:

My kid brought covid home. Looks like SesameCare requires video consultation. How is PushHealth? I saw that they have a form, but do I need to deal with a video call through them as well? I know there's a ton of data on this in the thread, but I seem to be bad at finding it.

I did sesame video recently, they did not require any test. I just told them a person I lived with had tested positive recently (true)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I did sesame video recently, they did not require any test. I just told them a person I lived with had tested positive recently (true)

Thanks, but I have a test. My concern is that they'll insist that because my kid is twelve he's not at enough risk to write an rx, and I've been asked not to lie beyond saying he's unvaxed so I can't insist that he's a diabetic smoker.

How's hidrb now? That was popular for a while as I recall.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Loucks posted:

I don't understand the issue. Just don't turn video on if you don't want to be on camera :shrug:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Loucks posted:

Thanks, but I have a test. My concern is that they'll insist that because my kid is twelve he's not at enough risk to write an rx, and I've been asked not to lie beyond saying he's unvaxed so I can't insist that he's a diabetic smoker.

How's hidrb now? That was popular for a while as I recall.

Ah. Yeah that sucks. Is there any official guidance on pax for kids at all?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Pingui posted:

I don't understand the issue. Just don't turn video on if you don't want to be on camera :shrug:

It's not about being on camera, it's about navigating the loving gatekeeping. HiDrB just told me they "couldn't move forward" when I entered the kid's dob even though he's twelve and over 88lbs.

I had thought there was a document on using the telehealth sites to get pax that someone had put together. Seem to remember references in earlier threads. Guess I'll go throw money at the other options and hope they don't take it and tell me to gently caress off.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

its so loving wild that there are doctors and nurses who are vehemently against ppe

your patients are sick. do you want to get sick from your patients? dont they... teach this sort of thing at med school?

i went to orthopedics a few days ago to get a completely unnecessary xray so medicaid would approve a mri. one of the check-in guys had a mask, none of the nurses or people in the waiting room did, and the doctor was wearing a mask for the first time in like 6 visits so he was probably sick and showed up anyway

it's loving orthopedics, most of the people there are retirees getting hip/knee replacements on medicare

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Loucks posted:

I've used them 3x, haven't had to do a video call ever, and have gotten Paxlovid each time.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I've used them 3x, haven't had to do a video call ever, and have gotten Paxlovid each time.

Thank you. Unfortunately Push also says "gently caress them kids!"

We have the tools!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh no loucks sounds like you're sick yourself! crazy how well Covid spreads in households how did they ever expect us to think schools would be safe

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Loucks posted:

It's not about being on camera, it's about navigating the loving gatekeeping. HiDrB just told me they "couldn't move forward" when I entered the kid's dob even though he's twelve and over 88lbs.

I had thought there was a document on using the telehealth sites to get pax that someone had put together. Seem to remember references in earlier threads. Guess I'll go throw money at the other options and hope they don't take it and tell me to gently caress off.

Gotcha, sorry for the situation. poo poo sucks :(

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

oh no loucks sounds like you're sick yourself! crazy how well Covid spreads in households how did they ever expect us to think schools would be safe

I thought his kid was sick not himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I thought his kid was sick not himself

Covid thread once again advocating for lying to try and keep your kid healthy, the sick fucks. Ban+30 minimum